Henry Catchpole - Carfection review

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
What I have not heard much about in any of the reviews are the apparently fantastic brakes in the Emira. Even though some of the competition are going crazy with 6+ pot calipers, a quality 4-piston brake caliper and two-piece disc combo typically performs as well or better than 6 or more piston brake calipers and they're often lighter as an added bonus. The new Emira brake booster also looks comparatively huge compared to other cars. The Emira brakes should be very confidence inspiring!
From my experience going up the hill at Goodwood and feedback from the LDA sessions, the brakes on the Emira are phenomenal. Even better than the Evora, where the brakes are one of the strong points of the car.

Last edited:

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
It seems everybody is focused on handling, which of course is the forte of Lotus, but stopping is equally important. It's going to be interesting to see what the standard brakes are and what they look like on the base model.

I wonder when they're going to update the configurator to show what the base car comes with and what it looks like. I know they're focused on producing the FE at the moment, but they must have a prototype base car somewhere with all the standard base features. Those things have to pass homologation, fit and finish and inspection too.
Base options and pricing supposedly due in September, with updated configurator at the same time. Plenty of mechanically Base cars been running already.

I guess there's a concern they might delay Sept due to the delays to customer cars, but I think Lotus will want to get the order book open so they can start scheduling parts supplies. Even more important to do this if there are continuing external factors affecting suppliers.

NicolasB

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
And then what…we get a shitload of horrible amateur YouTube content!? Which forum member will produce a great video? Love to keep track of it and watch for sure.

Having seen a couple of Youtube car videos being produced, it takes days and a large crew to shoot enough footage to produce a short quality video. What Carfection are doing is unreal, and we should praise them for making the amazing content and serving it to us for FREE!

I absolutely love it. And yes some are better then others…

I agree the cinematics are amazing, but I don't care to watch "car movies" so much as I do about getting real info and enthusiastic responses to the car. I want more details that are useful and less story lines. Those are fine for those that are into it, however we are currently starved by Lotus even for professional photos of the damn cars, let alone videos showing them in action. I want to see people out doing real-world tests, 0-60, skidpad, 1/4 mile, 60mph to zero, etc. The stuff Road & Track and Car & Driver and the likes have done for decades. I'm not looking for the next episode of the Marvel multiverse or whatever it is, I just want to see and hear the car and find out what it can do.

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I think we agree! Surely track driving is about becoming a better driver & getting to know your car (unless you’re into racing in which case I apologise).

I can’t see anyone seriously thinking of tracking an FE Emira on a regular basis? Maybe once or twice out of curiosity, but not as a track day car?
As a dedicated track car, I’m sure someone will convert their road car into something not quite a GT4.

But there’s a wide gamut of drivers out there in between once or twice and dedicated track car. Personally I like to go about 8-10 times a year.

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
And then what…we get a shitload of horrible amateur YouTube content!? Which forum member will produce a great video? Love to keep track of it and watch for sure.

Having seen a couple of Youtube car videos being produced, it takes days and a large crew to shoot enough footage to produce a short quality video. What Carfection are doing is unreal, and we should praise them for making the amazing content and serving it to us for FREE!

I absolutely love it. And yes some are better then others…
It depends on what you're looking for. Entertainment or information. Some of my favorite videos to watch are the ones with Chris and Jack just sitting in chairs, looking at each other and talking about cars. No theatrics, no music, no grand vistas and multiple angle staged shots, just two very knowledgeable enthusiasts talking about cars. That's where you get their honest, actual thoughts and feelings about the cars they've driven.

For cinematography and motion picture quality videos, it's hard to beat Henry's. Henry's are beautiful to watch, and whoever chooses the music has excellent taste. I've downloaded a few as a result of watching his videos.

I like Harry's videos too because they're practical, realistic views of using cars in real world situations; public roads, going on trips, taking luggage, etc. They aren't flashy or fancy like Henry's, but for me they're more informative.

I don't expect motion picture academy quality from our forum members who will be posting videos of their cars. What I'm hoping for is realistic views and appraisals of what their experience is with the new car. What do they like, don't like, and why.

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
I think we agree! Surely track driving is about becoming a better driver & getting to know your car (unless you’re into racing in which case I apologise).

I can’t see anyone seriously thinking of tracking an FE Emira on a regular basis? Maybe once or twice out of curiosity, but not as a track day car?
I agree, anyone who's seriously looking to make an Emira their track car isn't going to want to start with an FE. They'll want an i4 base model and go from there. The other issue though, is getting one. Unless the parts and supply issue begins to improve, it may be harder to get one of these than we realize. With a hefty backlog of orders already on the books, it's not hard to imagine that growing quickly once the base model configurator comes online.

As far as track days, for the people I've hung out with and talked to at the events, there was quite a variety, from the guys who wanted to go as fast as possible, to the ones who just liked being out there driving on the track. Some would come in off the track and immediately go to the meeting center to see the times being posted. Others would just stand around their cars and talk with other enthusiasts; lap times weren't a big deal for them. They were into the cars, tires, brakes, etc. more than max speed.

I was always concentrating on improving my times; especially my entry and exits on corners. It wasn't the main reason I went, but I used that as a way to gauge if I was improving my techniques or not. I just wanted to be smooth, consistent, and quick. And I love the sound and feeling of just being there. It's a total focus activity; I don't think of anything else when I'm on the track. Unfortunately I've gotten to the age where it's just not doable anymore, plus there isn't a road course anywhere close to where I live anyways. I'm looking forward to the Emira as a reasonable fun car; not a max performance car. I can enjoy steering and handling without having to be close to 10/10ths. I want to enjoy driving it through the beautiful mountain roads of the Pacific Northwest, and take it on a trip or two.

mjw930

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
That maybe so, and I don’t doubt you, I’m just quoting from a few guys who’ve had them (who know a little about driving). One on a 718 Spyder too, and really didn’t get on with them - which I was surprised about. Nothing in any reviews seems to think the Goodyears are much good for anything other than daily driving. Even brisk B road driving seems to be suboptimal, from the reviews I’ve seen.
From what I’ve read and heard about the only Goodyear that the Porsche guys seem to have respect for is the F1 Supercar 3R which is the DOT track day tire. Not much love for any other “F1” Goodyears.

Hedge

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I agree, anyone who's seriously looking to make an Emira their track car isn't going to want to start with an FE. They'll want an i4 base model and go from there. The other issue though, is getting one. Unless the parts and supply issue begins to improve, it may be harder to get one of these than we realize. With a hefty backlog of orders already on the books, it's not hard to imagine that growing quickly once the base model configurator comes online.

As far as track days, for the people I've hung out with and talked to at the events, there was quite a variety, from the guys who wanted to go as fast as possible, to the ones who just liked being out there driving on the track. Some would come in off the track and immediately go to the meeting center to see the times being posted. Others would just stand around their cars and talk with other enthusiasts; lap times weren't a big deal for them. They were into the cars, tires, brakes, etc. more than max speed.

I was always concentrating on improving my times; especially my entry and exits on corners. It wasn't the main reason I went, but I used that as a way to gauge if I was improving my techniques or not. I just wanted to be smooth, consistent, and quick. And I love the sound and feeling of just being there. It's a total focus activity; I don't think of anything else when I'm on the track. Unfortunately I've gotten to the age where it's just not doable anymore, plus there isn't a road course anywhere close to where I live anyways. I'm looking forward to the Emira as a reasonable fun car; not a max performance car. I can enjoy steering and handling without having to be close to 10/10ths. I want to enjoy driving it through the beautiful mountain roads of the Pacific Northwest, and take it on a trip or two.
I think you’re going to have a wonderful time with the Emira driving the mountain roads of the Pacific Northwest. Very jealous! And hope to make it over there someday for a roadtrip.

Joel

Emira Fan
Reaction score
From my experience going up the hill at Goodwood and feedback from the LDA sessions, the brakes on the Emira are phenomenal. Even better than the Evora, where the brakes are one of the strong points of the car.
I can confirm from doing the LDA yesterday, the brakes in the car are incredible!

One of the skills tests we had to do was a brake and avoid. Approach a wall of cones at approx 50/60/70/75mph and then, with a marker cone approx 20m in front, stomp on the brakes and then swerve through a cone gate next to the wall of cones.

I'd never done anything like that before and I was surprised just how quickly the car decelerates when you really do stomp on the brakes.

It gave me a lot of confidence as in the later track sessions as I had to brake from ~125mph down to 50 to make a turn into the chicane, no issues with the brakes at all!

GetawayDriving

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I can confirm from doing the LDA yesterday, the brakes in the car are incredible!

One of the skills tests we had to do was a brake and avoid. Approach a wall of cones at approx 50/60/70/75mph and then, with a marker cone approx 20m in front, stomp on the brakes and then swerve through a cone gate next to the wall of cones.

I'd never done anything like that before and I was surprised just how quickly the car decelerates when you really do stomp on the brakes.

It gave me a lot of confidence as in the later track sessions as I had to brake from ~125mph down to 50 to make a turn into the chicane, no issues with the brakes at all!

I’ve done this before at a Volvo-sponsored autocross event, where they donated S40s to run the courses. Instead of a wall of cones, they set up a giant moose that popped up. Which seems unnecessary give you’re already careening toward a hydraulic moose contraption.

They also had 3 parallel lanes, each with a stoplight over them. At the last second, one light would flip green and you had to swerve into that lane.

Was good fun, that Volvo event.

Also loved a Mazda one where they made you run the autocross course in a Miata with a bowl of golf balls strapped to the hood. Spill any balls and you’re DQ’d.

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
I’ve done this before at a Volvo-sponsored autocross event, where they donated S40s to run the courses. Instead of a wall of cones, they set up a giant moose that popped up. Which seems unnecessary give you’re already careening toward a hydraulic moose contraption.

They also had 3 parallel lanes, each with a stoplight over them. At the last second, one light would flip green and you had to swerve into that lane.

Was good fun, that Volvo event.

Also loved a Mazda one where they made you run the autocross course in a Miata with a bowl of golf balls strapped to the hood. Spill any balls and you’re DQ’d.
The moose test is a pretty iconic Scandinavian safety test 😁🦌

KusaKusa

Reaction score
Reviving this thread because Henry mentioned the Emira in comparison to a long term M4. It didn't seem to compare favorably lol.
Screenshot_2022-08-08-17-44-44-70_483408ce3d77c893464e0cd3d906567a~2.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-08-08-17-44-44-70_483408ce3d77c893464e0cd3d906567a~2.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-08-08-17-44-44-70_483408ce3d77c893464e0cd3d906567a~2.jpg
    276.7 KB · Views: 79

Cachaco131

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Waiting to order
Reviving this thread because Henry mentioned the Emira in comparison to a long term M4. It didn't seem to compare favorably lol.
View attachment 8006
Oh boy, that's not good news. I've an F80 and I'm not a big fan. Seems like the Lotus people didn't hug him enough and didn't give him some perks, because one would think it's apples and oranges.

Just the weight difference should make them feel so different.

Dabjbr

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Eek… that’s not a great review. I’m not saying I am having second thoughts but that review doesn’t make me feel warm and fuzzy.

The Emira still beats so many in looks and rarity but grrrr if the driving dynamics falls behind the m2/3/4 and cayman.

Last edited:

Cachaco131

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Waiting to order
Eek… that’s not a great review. I’m not saying I am having second thoughts but that review doesn’t make me feel warm and fuzzy.

The Emira still beats so many in looks and rarity but grrrr if it the driving dynamics falls behind the m2/3/4 and cayman.
It's really odd ah? Plus 4wd vs RWD. I don't know, seems like HC is pissed off at Lotus.

Dabjbr

Emira Fan
Reaction score
It's really odd ah? Plus 4wd vs RWD. I don't know, seems like HC is pissed off at Lotus.
I hear ya but I’m more thinking that aside from the looks, there’s an indifference on the performance. At least it more and more seems that way, from journalist at least.

I’m still keeping my deposit and won’t make any decisions until I personally drive it.

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Oh boy, that's not good news. I've an F80 and I'm not a big fan. Seems like the Lotus people didn't hug him enough and didn't give him some perks, because one would think it's apples and oranges.

Just the weight difference should make them feel so different.
The G8x as ugly as it is, is way faster, more comfortable, and loads more front end grip than the F8x. I’m an F82 owner, and the Emira will look better and feel more connected in steering to the G8x, but that’s about it.

Cachaco131

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Waiting to order
The G8x as ugly as it is, is way faster, more comfortable, and loads more front end grip than the F8x. I’m an F82 owner, and the Emira will look better and feel more connected in steering to the G8x, but that’s about it.
Agree, but one is 4wd and has like 500hp. It's more like a good handling muscle car. Im not expecting the Emira to be faster necessarily (depends on track I guess) but to feel more like a sports car than a sports coupe or sports sedan.

Magicman

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I think we know he's not much of a fan by now, I still think that sport suspension is part of it and as a passive set up its just not the right choice for uk roads. Experience with many non passive set ups from many manufacturers has taught me this, weather is be ferrari, porsche M etc they've all driven better and been quicker on my local roads in their softer settings.

As for the latest m4... that front is just horrific, I've had one of every generation of m3/4 since I bought my new e36 m3 evo in 98, think I'll give this one a miss 😬

OP
Nick in Sydney

Nick in Sydney

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I don't see any reason to conclude that Henry is "pissed off at Lotus" I've followed his reviews for years and he has always struck me as fair and balanced. He's writing what he believes . . . whether or not it's what we'd hoped to read is a different matter.

I think Lotus made a real error giving cars with the Sport set-up to journalists. They should have held track days with the Sport set-up and only provided the Touring spec for standard road tests.