Full reviews incoming?

I've just seen this on twitter, new reviews incoming?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220518-185404_Twitter.jpg
    Screenshot_20220518-185404_Twitter.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 2,499

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Yes they did.
I actually agree with you. I used those examples to show how silly the term had become - particularly on here. There was a whole conversion about people that wouldn’t buy the car if it had blind spot assist or other electronic ‘nanny’ aids.

Thing is though…it’s a bit of an ‘it’ car now (just like the GT3 touring and GR Yaris were) so you’ll see a ton of demand from that crowd.
And equally people who cancelled their order because it didn't have ADAS or even just because it didn't have keyless entry.

xen

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Maybe you're forgetting that Lotus is for the most part an enthusiasts brand, it's not like we're talking about a Toyota Corolla
I know right, 2 tonne electric SUV’s…how very enthusiast.

Maybe you’re forgetting that lotus first and foremost is a business. Where were all these ‘enthusiasts’ when they were struggling to sell Evoras?

Pegasi

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
And which polls are these?? The auto will undoubtably be the more popular model - even Lotus acknowledge this.

Yes we had this conversation on another thread and Matt Windle acknowledged that the I4 DCT is targeted for females and for people who may be buying their first sports car. (paraphrasing). I agree with xen here. The forum members skew towards manual enthusiasts. Lotus wants a new buyer who they anticipate will get the I4. Almost every car manufacturer has figured out that people don't want manuals.

Here is the video I shared previously, Skip to 13:35. I know this is Ferrari but it surprised me a little.

Green

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Yes we had this conversation on another thread and Matt Windle acknowledged that the I4 DCT is targeted for females and for people who may be buying their first sports car. (paraphrasing). I agree with xen here. The forum members skew towards manual enthusiasts. Lotus wants a new buyer who they anticipate will get the I4. Almost every car manufacturer has figured out that people don't want manuals.

Here is the video I shared previously, Skip to 13:35. I know this is Ferrari but it surprised me a little.

I would would strongly disagree with your statement that people do not want manuals. I actually think it is one of main draws to the Emira. I would not be buying the Emira if it did not have a manual option. It would not even be a consideration for me.

Kentviking

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Even if its a small sample size, out of the 176 people that voted 77% went with manual

I'd be happy to change from Nimbus to "undecided" if it was a metallic version of that colour. The popularity of DV has surprised me somewhat. I switched out of DV given how dark it is, and I have seen I am not alone in making that switch. Personally, I am quite happy to own one of the lesser chosen colours...it is all about personal preferences anyway...there is no "wrong" colour for this car (so far anyway)

Kentviking

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Even if its a small sample size, out of the 176 people that voted 77% went with manual

I couldn't work out why the steering wheel choice distribution was as described in this sample. Did anyone else notice that it seems our American friends have been able to order steering wheels with Nappa inserts for their V6 manuals...while we didn't (and still don't seem to) get that option at home in Blighty.

Davebeats

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I couldn't work out why the steering wheel choice distribution was as described in this sample. Did anyone else notice that it seems our American friends have been able to order steering wheels with Nappa inserts for their V6 manuals...while we didn't (and still don't seem to) get that option at home in Blighty.
I think the poll was generated prior to final order specs being released, July 9th 2021 it looks

for those that are interested in the source.

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
I know right, 2 tonne electric SUV’s…how very enthusiast.

Maybe you’re forgetting that lotus first and foremost is a business. Where were all these ‘enthusiasts’ when they were struggling to sell Evoras?
haha... yes its a business which is why they will make the EV. All the enthusiasts, about 180 of them did buy Evoras, but there are not enough Enthusiasts to save Lotus or to make Caterham into a none handbuilt car company. There are not enough enthusiasts to save the Alpine even and thats a great car, although I dont like it, or the Alfa etc. Enthusiasts in some ways expect more than others, but that also means they wont throw money away when they dont get it ....
I agree, Lotus has moved away from the "enthusiast", they had to in order to survive and grow..... They could not keep making the Exige, as not that many people wanted a rough and ready track car, that was at its best slower than its competitors, although maybe felt faster, and the Elise had no approval for the US. So the only way forward was the Evora adapted designed Emira..... and to attract more none enthusiasts, but hoefully keep the die hard Lotus types happy too...
lets see if they managed it, I guess they did in 9/10 cases...

Pegasi

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
I would would strongly disagree with your statement that people do not want manuals. I actually think it is one of main draws to the Emira. I would not be buying the Emira if it did not have a manual option. It would not even be a consideration for me.

It will be interesting to see after a few years how many manuals vs. Auto/DCTs are eventually sold. However, in terms of my statement, I tend to believe more enthusiasts frequent the forum and those people prefer manuals.

Aren't we told over and over again that manufacturers keep saying that people aren't buying/ordering manuals??? Anyway, I know this topic has already been debated.

Pegasi

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
I guess there are a lot of masochists (like myself) who can't resist being strung along for photos. 😂

I kind of thought that DV would be a little more rare but it looks like now that a DV Emira will be as common as a Camary. Lol

I will say that after seeing more pics of cars in different colors I am wondering if I want a bright color. If BASE colors include lime green I might just have to go for it.

FlyNavy01

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
100% agree. The main reason I'm getting an Emira is it's "modern analog sports car" ethos and one of the last opportunities to have a manual, mid-engined car ever. Short of missing your left leg, why anyone would spec an auto Emira is beyond me. I don't see any benefits?

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Which is why you count as an enthusiast and the non-forum auto-buying newcomer to Lotus counts themselves as just a car buyer :)

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score

American V6 manual order right here and can confirm we can only spec all black leather or all black Alcantara steering wheels (I opted for leather).

Mike-engel

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
What’s happening here? Are we now really trying to speculate on how the Emira performs (compared to Evora, xyz) based on the seconds of smile on someone’s face during a test drive? I know, everyone, including me, is waiting for more solid information from lotus or at least first real reviews, but maybe., until then, we should all just relax a little bit, instead of overinterpret every tiny bit of information/misinformation. If you’d believe everything that people post here, the Emira is the fastest/slowest/prettiest/best/worst-quality car all
In one - and that is all before the first production car has left the factory. Don’t know if it’s only me, but this feels odd to me. And based on all the sometimes crazy speculations that are going on, I fully understand why lotus is so careful with any preliminary official information…
Not Emira related. Just noting that my wife and I were in your beautiful city last September. We really enjoyed our brief time their. The cathedral is magnificent. I took a picture of my shadow while seated on the cathedral steps and it serves as my login avatar on my computer. I’m reminded of Cologne every morning when I login.