Full reviews incoming?

I've just seen this on twitter, new reviews incoming?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220518-185404_Twitter.jpg
    Screenshot_20220518-185404_Twitter.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 2,499

GetawayDriving

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
It takes a long time to produce a TV episode by the time it's gone through post production & then been scheduled. I really hope Harris has something resembling a finished production car for Top Gear but is that likely?

Do you remember his GT3 review that was 6 months later than everyone else for the same reason?

Harris tweeted about his review in progress around the same time as Catchpole, so I would expect a similar build. However that car didn’t have VP stickers do maybe they have Harris a car more representative of the final product.

xen

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I dont know, but I imagine not..... most of these reviewers crave manual cars as do most people who dont care too much about lap times, which is the only reason I can think why someone would go auto... but it takes 2 to have an agreement or disagreement :).
Fair enough. Not just lap times but daily drivability. Anyone who lives in central london and chooses a manual is probably looking for an open way to enjoy their masochist proclivities. On the other end of a spectrum is a place like Dubai with 80% of commutes on 10 lane highways.

With regards the reviewers, they like the idea of a manual but often don’t choose them with their money - the YouTube ‘influencer’ bunch in particular.

It would be a shame the more popular car for the road won’t be part of the early reviews.

Tonyshepp

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Fair enough. Not just lap times but daily drivability. Anyone who lives in central london and chooses a manual is probably looking for an open way to enjoy their masochist proclivities. On the other end of a spectrum is a place like Dubai with 80% of commutes on 10 lane highways.

With regards the reviewers, they like the idea of a manual but often don’t choose them with their money - the YouTube ‘influencer’ bunch in particular.

It would be a shame the more popular car for the road won’t be part of the early reviews.
Sorry I disagree the polls I've seen all indicate manual is the most popular choice so why wouldn't they review the most popular and sort after which is the manual?

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Sorry I disagree the polls I've seen all indicate manual is the most popular choice so why wouldn't they review the most popular and sort after which is the manual?
will be interesting if someone has or at some point lotus share the breakdown.....
In spain, the vast vast vast.... 10 of 12 I think, are autos, but I would assume in the UK you are right and I'd hope/expect most to be manuals.
correct for london city type drivers though, traffic would probably dictate an auto, but then again, traffic would probably dictate me not buying a sports car at all, unless I was in it just for the looks and crowd pleasing...which has its own rewards haha

MCS

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
will be interesting if someone has or at some point lotus share the breakdown.....
In spain, the vast vast vast.... 10 of 12 I think, are autos, but I would assume in the UK you are right and I'd hope/expect most to be manuals.
correct for london city type drivers though, traffic would probably dictate an auto, but then again, traffic would probably dictate me not buying a sports car at all, unless I was in it just for the looks and crowd pleasing...which has its own rewards haha
I’m not in London but it’s busy where I am in Surrey and I want to use my car as much as possible, not just for an early morning weekend Blast, so I’m going auto. Sometimes I just want to sit back and relax and hopefully the auto provides enough fun in manual mode that I can enjoy a broader range of driving 🙂

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
I’m not in London but it’s busy where I am in Surrey and I want to use my car as much as possible, not just for an early morning weekend Blast, so I’m going auto. Sometimes I just want to sit back and relax and hopefully the auto provides enough fun in manual mode that I can enjoy a broader range of driving 🙂
Im sure it will and the sound will help. I personally just never got on with the porsche paddles for instance and their system is so quick its amazing, but of course its an easy drive and relaxed when need be. However, I found that if I dont have a clutch, in a 718 at least, I got a pain in my back or leg over longer drives.... strange but true. THe ionic 5 doesnt give me the same problem, but totally different driving position of course.

xen

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
And which polls are these?? The auto will undoubtably be the more popular model - even Lotus acknowledge this.

Tonyshepp

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
And which polls are these?? The auto will undoubtably be the more popular model - even Lotus acknowledge this.
Indicative polls on here and Facebook groups. And whilst you might say they aren't correct someone is filling them in with their choice of car and it's the manuals coming out top. That's not to say the autos are wrong it just indicates in the main most want the manual, at least for now.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I'm curious where they said that? I was told unofficially a couple of months ago the V6 FE orders had only 10-15% of Autos, but that may have been skewed by mainly UK orders confirmed at that point. The AMG DCT is counted separately from the V6 Auto.

xen

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I'm curious where they said that? I was told unofficially a couple of months ago the V6 FE orders had only 10-15% of Autos, but that may have been skewed by mainly UK orders confirmed at that point. The AMG DCT is counted separately from the V6 Auto.
Including the I4 as an auto (considering it doesn’t come with a manual I wonder why it isn’t counted)

As for where it was said, it was an interview recently. Posted elsewhere which I believe we discussed.

xen

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Even if its a small sample size, out of the 176 people that voted 77% went with manual

It’s both small and skewed - certainly not representative. Enthusiasts don’t make up the majority of the buying public.

Davebeats

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
It’s both small and skewed - certainly not representative. Enthusiasts don’t make up the majority of the buying public.
Maybe you're forgetting that Lotus is for the most part an enthusiasts brand, it's not like we're talking about a Toyota Corolla

912Matt

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Really, you don’t think the majority of buyers will be enthusiasts?!

Jonhklee

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Given Asia is only getting the AMG 400bhp version, I think DCT/Auto will be their best seller in the longer run. Maybe the FE will be mostly V6 manual until the i4 starts churning out of Hethel.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Including the I4 as an auto (considering it doesn’t come with a manual I wonder why it isn’t counted)

As for where it was said, it was an interview recently. Posted elsewhere which I believe we discussed.
OK, I don't remember reading it, I think something like "majority are auto" would have stood out.

And yes if you lump the i4 into auto then it may will tip the balance over say a 3+ year time horizon. But Lotus figures split the three options of V6 Manual, V6 Auto and i4 DCT and with the orders so far being almost all for V6 cars I suspect the figures for the first 12-18 months will be mainly manual.

xen

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Really, you don’t think the majority of buyers will be enthusiasts?!
if you define ‘enthusiast’ as people that don’t want cruise control, blind spot assist or even electric seats then yes.

I think we can all agree the Evora is a fairly ‘enthusiast’ car, do you think Lotus sold more manual Evoras than automatics?

912Matt

Emira Fan
Reaction score
if you define ‘enthusiast’ as people that don’t want cruise control, blind spot assist or even electric seats then yes.

I think we can all agree the Evora is a fairly ‘enthusiast’ car, do you think Lotus sold more manual Evoras than automatics?
I think it’s a little harsh to say that anyone who wants a bit of tech/creature comforts on their car isn’t an enthusiast. I would define someone shelling out the best part of £80k on an unknown and (relatively) impractical car, from a manufacturer that has teetered on the verge of going under for many years as an enthusiast! I know where you’re coming from, but feel that anyone willing to look beyond ‘normal’ choices should be celebrated, and if they want to call themselves an enthusiast that’s fine by me (even though I want to change my own gears 😉)

xen

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I think it’s a little harsh to say that anyone who wants a bit of tech/creature comforts on their car isn’t an enthusiast. I would define someone shelling out the best part of £80k on an unknown and (relatively) impractical car, from a manufacturer that has teetered on the verge of going under for many years as an enthusiast! I know where you’re coming from, but feel that anyone willing to look beyond ‘normal’ choices should be celebrated, and if they want to call themselves an enthusiast that’s fine by me (even though I want to change my own gears 😉)

I actually agree with you. I used those examples to show how silly the term had become - particularly on here. There was a whole conversion about people that wouldn’t buy the car if it had blind spot assist or other electronic ‘nanny’ aids.

Thing is though…it’s a bit of an ‘it’ car now (just like the GT3 touring and GR Yaris were) so you’ll see a ton of demand from that crowd.

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Maybe you're forgetting that Lotus is for the most part an enthusiasts brand, it's not like we're talking about a Toyota Corolla
no..just its engine.. haha. no well not really.
Where is the survey, I didnt fill it in and that may make the magna up to 10% and ice grey the same, but I have to vote twice ....
the AMG wouldnt be included as auto or manual as there is simply no choice...
its a statistic from options people have chosen and not applicable if there is no option I guess.