Emira Review Index [V6 FE]

Featured
For those looking for the latest Emira V6 FE reviews scheduled to be released today, I've self-volunteered to maintain a quick reference index here.
Please let me know of any missing articles and I'll update accordingly. (y)

ReviewerTypeDirect Link
EdmundsArticle
Harry's Garage (Harry Metcalfe)Video Review

Harry drives the Sports and Tour suspension back to back on the same road and shares his thoughts.
Schmee150 (Tim Burton)Video ReviewPublished 21st June
Carwow (Mat Watson)Video Review
TopGearArticles and VideoPublished 3rd July
Chris Harris talks about the Lotus Emira

Published 20th June

AutoTrader (Rory Reid)Video Review
EvoArticle and Video Review
CARArticle and Video ReviewPublished 22nd July

Lotus Emira vs Cayman 718 GTS vs Alpine 110s
AutocarArticle and Video Review
PistonheadsArticle
KHTVVideo Review
The DriveArticle
AutoExpressArticle
Pictures:
WhichCarArticle
CarBuyerArticle
HagertyArticle
Road and TrackArticlePublished 1st September
Lotus Emira Road and Track Drive

GoodwoodArticle
The IntercoolerPodcastReasonably good post-embargo Emira discussion on The Intercooler.
MotortrendArticle
DriveArticle
AFRArticle
ParkersArticle
CarExpertArticle
Caffeine & MachineArticle
Photos on Instagram:
The Sunday Times DrivingArticle
Car and DriverArticle
The SunArticle
AutoCar UKArticlePublished 2nd July

Last edited:

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
Yup I sold my 40k M2 Comp as it needed 8k worth of mods to make it a great car.
In comparison I 'want' to mod my GR Yaris but it needs nothing and so I'm just driving it and enjoying it all the more for it.

One of the many reasons I love my GTI! I threw like ~$4-5k into it getting a stage 1+ flash, tcu tune, intake, catback, rear swaybar, eibachs, upgraded rotors/pads/fluid, forged wheels and sticky tires. She's been like that for 4 years now and I haven't even been tempted to mod any further. Fast, reliable, and versitile daily that can holds its own and still excite me. Any extra mod money has gone to HPDE track days and saving for a Porsche (which is now a Lotus :sneaky:).

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
One of the many reasons I love my GTI! I threw like ~$4-5k into it getting a stage 1+ flash, tcu tune, intake, catback, rear swaybar, eibachs, upgraded rotors/pads/fluid, forged wheels and sticky tires. She's been like that for 4 years now and I haven't even been tempted to mod any further. Fast, reliable, and versitile daily that can holds its own and still excite me. Any extra mod money has gone to HPDE track days and saving for a Porsche (which is now a Lotus :sneaky:).
Exactly tho the v best cars need no improvement 😇😁
I kept both my 7 and 7.5 Golf Rs std as well. Just great cars out the box

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Confirms my opinion that sport works best with cup's....I do wonder the level of harshness however... It's been mentioned in most reviews... will have to wait and see what test drive's come back and say.

Johnson

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score

Really sums up all the previous reviews, and does it very well. I’d expected this to be a demo car, considering how late it’s come out… I wonder why they took so long?

Still, an excellent summary to add to the list @digilotus.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Really sums up all the previous reviews, and does it very well. I’d expected this to be a demo car, considering how late it’s come out… I wonder why they took so long?

Still, an excellent summary to add to the list @digilotus.
I was assuming it was a fuller driving review of a late-stage validation car or dealer demo. They did a review of the press car in June at the same time as the other reviews:

But the car in the pictures in the newer article is another of the June press cars. Looks like they've been able to take it for an extended drive for this review. The first article was just on local roads around Hethel.

richbrown

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi all, happy Friday!
Not sure if this has been posted already but a great review of our long awaited car!
Hope the link works.

Moderator note: this post and replies to it merged into this reviews thread from a standalone post

Attachments

• C34E213F-17F7-42D5-A32B-BB1DBB044D41.png
    C34E213F-17F7-42D5-A32B-BB1DBB044D41.png
    146.3 KB · Views: 42
Last edited by a moderator:
OP
digilotus

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Cheeky Apple News redirecting to Road and Track...

We added the original link to the review index earlier today. :)

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
I think 2 paragraphs are key//ish here

"The Cup 2 is such a sticky tire that the Emira’s relatively small amount of horsepower means it’s not the most lively thing mid corner, and others who have driven the Goodyears on track say it has a propensity for understeer. A minor quibble. It feels like joy."

this seems like a bit of a dig at we know who......

"This car was fitted with Goodyears when I picked it up for a road trip and swapped to Cup 2s for track work. The Cup 2 is the better tire, without a doubt. It provides more grip, more feel from the front end, generally inspires more confidence. But that comes with a caveat: the Cup 2 is barely usable in anything but direct sunshine. If you live somewhere with weather, choose the Goodyear."

and this should surely tell those like myself, that the relatively good year tyres are the ones to choose unless you intend to track and really use it more as a Summer car, which I don't.
Again, I think everything in this review is correct, fair, based on what I experienced myself, except these guys know what they are talking about whereas I just wing it. The guys is respectful and professional, which is what you want in a review, as well as a bit of personality.

There is and can be no defending the engine or gearbox vs the direct competitor. Lotus took the practical approach when entering into this project, if it aint totally cracked and unrepairable, dont bother changing it, based on perhaps not expecting as much sales success as they eventually got, or Geely being unwilling to invest more heavilly in what is a effectively a dead end car. The repercussions of this are in the reviews, its simple, it is no where near the best gear change out there, but its not the worst (cant think of worse one myself in its class, but I hope! its not the worst), in any case, it is what it is. Lotus got to save quite a bit of money on a new engine / transmission, not to mention time, which in the end has been wasted but well.

In Summary, Lotus get more orders due to lower price point, potentially make more money per car due to cheaper parts and less R&D, but on the flip side the car is not where journalists and maybe ourselves would quite expect it to be. It is not what the Lotus 7 was, it is NOT what the Lotus Elise was, I'm not even sure its what the Evora was. The first 2 cars changed what we could expect from a "road" drivers car and set the standard for others to follow. The EMIRA does not do that and thats why its not a "great" car, but it is a very good car and that should be good enough for 80-90% of its customers. If you expect a world beater, well the world has moved on quite a bit since Lotus could do that.

Kentviking

Emira Fan
Reaction score
those concerned about the "wheel gap" not gonna be happy, but otherwise this review is not going to do US sales any harm at all.

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Does anyone have the print copy of CAR Magazine that the following shootout appears in? Or does anyone know if scans or photos of it are online anywhere? The video is linked, but I believe there's a written version that was print-only?

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
The interior is a quantum leap from the Evora, which felt cobbled together. The headunit is no longer an aftermarket Pioneer display, there’s a new in-house touchscreen floating on the dash. The instrument display is fully digital and easy to read. The gear linkage is exposed behind a neat little cage. The seats don’t appear to be something from a supplier catalog. It doesn’t stink of glue.

They were Alpine units, right?

I just wish there was less grip. The Cup 2 is such a sticky tire that the Emira’s relatively small amount of horsepower means it’s not the most lively thing mid corner, and others who have driven the Goodyears on track say it has a propensity for understeer. A minor quibble. It feels like joy.

More chassis/tire anxiety for me. I went sport with Goodyears. I guess we need to wait for test drives to really know for ourselves.

There have also been delays, with customers reporting pushed back delivery dates.

You don't say...

You used to have to explain a Lotus; why you paid so much for a car with panel gaps big enough to stick a hand through. Why your sports car had a Camry’s engine. Why you didn’t just buy a Porsche. Those annoyances were the cover charge and in return you got an unparalleled driving experience. Now there’s a well-built, gorgeous, and brilliant to drive car carrying that same badge. And at $93,090 for a First Edition, it costs less than its predecessor and is the best driving car in its class. Sometimes going mainstream is all right.

Overall a positive and solid review! I'll take it.

Lankan

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Interesting - thanks for posting.

Surprised to see a standard GR Yaris (presumably a Circuit Pack or Rallye edition) is only a fraction slower than the Emira FE V6 manual (presumably with Touring suspension), whilst a GR Yaris (CP?), sporting Ohlins suspension, is a full second faster...

Is it simply down to weight (1,280kg vs 1,458kg) and tyres (Michelin PS 4S vs Eagle F1s)?

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
that track time does seem a little disappointing... But he did say it is a great road car, maybe the best for the price.