Emira Review Index [V6 FE]

Featured
For those looking for the latest Emira V6 FE reviews scheduled to be released today, I've self-volunteered to maintain a quick reference index here.
Please let me know of any missing articles and I'll update accordingly. (y)

ReviewerTypeDirect Link
EdmundsArticle
Harry's Garage (Harry Metcalfe)Video Review

Harry drives the Sports and Tour suspension back to back on the same road and shares his thoughts.
Schmee150 (Tim Burton)Video ReviewPublished 21st June
Carwow (Mat Watson)Video Review
TopGearArticles and VideoPublished 3rd July
Chris Harris talks about the Lotus Emira

Published 20th June

AutoTrader (Rory Reid)Video Review
EvoArticle and Video Review
CARArticle and Video ReviewPublished 22nd July

Lotus Emira vs Cayman 718 GTS vs Alpine 110s
AutocarArticle and Video Review
PistonheadsArticle
KHTVVideo Review
The DriveArticle
AutoExpressArticle
Pictures:
WhichCarArticle
CarBuyerArticle
HagertyArticle
Road and TrackArticlePublished 1st September
Lotus Emira Road and Track Drive

GoodwoodArticle
The IntercoolerPodcastReasonably good post-embargo Emira discussion on The Intercooler.
MotortrendArticle
DriveArticle
AFRArticle
ParkersArticle
CarExpertArticle
Caffeine & MachineArticle
Photos on Instagram:
The Sunday Times DrivingArticle
Car and DriverArticle
The SunArticle
AutoCar UKArticlePublished 2nd July

Last edited:
OP
digilotus

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
    Featured
First photo of the sports pedals.

sports-pedals.png

Nick in Sydney

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
That Evo review was brutal! 😔 Jethro was disappointed to say the least. Old engine, trans not good enough, too much body roll even with the sports chassis, etc... Gavin has got to be upset watching that review (I know I am).
Yup, brutal. A bit unfair in some respects . . . the whole point of the Emira is to be a great street car, a modern Espirit. Evo didn't even drive the car on the roads, just a pure track test. They had the wrong tyres on the car (as they acknowledged) and drove it back to back with a Cayman GT4.

Honeywell

Reaction score
The Evo review was pants.

They took an entirely track focussed GT4 and pitched it against an Emira on road tyres at one of the faster tighter circuits.

That tells me NOTHING about owning an Emira for road use.

Face it guys. VW, AUDI, SEAT, PORSCHE, SKODA, LAMBORGHINI, BENTLEY owning companies carry a LOT MORE clout with the advertising departments of motoring magazines that pay Jethro's mortgage.

Stick with Harris and Harry for unbias and even Harris is a bit suspect given his easy allocation of GT Touring 911s in recent years.

Jonhklee

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Same the reversing cameras lines are fixed….. dynamic steering lines would have been better

Attachments

• F43ED079-B1D2-400B-84DF-8BB34BD37E6F.jpeg
    F43ED079-B1D2-400B-84DF-8BB34BD37E6F.jpeg
    70.3 KB · Views: 36

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
That Evo review was brutal! 😔 Jethro was disappointed to say the least. Old engine, trans not good enough, too much body roll even with the sports chassis, etc... Gavin has got to be upset watching that review (I know I am).
I’m not too surprised, this is playing out exactly like I thought.

- Fantastic to look at
- Gear shifts are slow and forceful and leads to miss shifts for multiple reviewers
- Engine sounds great
- Sports suspension is mostly damper tuning which means sharper turn in but not less body roll
- Porsche offers a better overall package in all reviewers’ overall comparisons.

Only thing that surprised me:
- None off the reviewers’ cars revved to 7K.

I’ll still go with the Lotus, but I’m not going to be making excuses for it. The evo review resonated with me the most as to the reality and Harry’s review resonated with me for emotion.

roundincircles

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
A couple of observations.

Harry is a car enthusiast , look at his collection, and reviews as an enthusiast……..he says the steering and touring suspension is great, completely at odds with some professional reviewers (who need to earn a salary). He doesn’t deny some realities, like the weight,, but revels in how the car handles and how the engine delivers.

I’ve just sold a GT4 , an engaging car in many ways with a glorious flat 6 engine but the rear suspension was harsh and sometimes knocked the car offline. The ride quality stopped me touring in it because the passenger would complain ( it was tiringly bumpy on a days drive )

Be interesting to get Catchpole and Harris’s take.

OP
digilotus

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Well folks I hope my efforts helped everyone on here.

I've been busily scanning all sources to populate the review index in realtime. Taking a break now as its nearing midnight. Will keep scanning but I think the bulk of them are out by now.

Happy viewing everyone!

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
Apple Carplay and Android Auto are wireless according to Mat Watson (carwow review):

Also, Android Auto displays in full screen! Woo!

View attachment 6280
That's good to hear! Now how about the speedo center navigation. Does that come from your phone's Android auto nav destination or do you have to use some redundant Lotus built-in Android automotive nav?
I’m not too surprised, this is playing out exactly like I thought.

- Fantastic to look at
- Gear shifts are slow and forceful and leads to miss shifts for multiple reviewers
- Engine sounds great
- Sports suspension is mostly damper tuning which means sharper turn in but not less body roll
- Porsche offers a better overall package in all reviewers’ overall comparisons.

Only thing that surprised me:
- None off the reviewers’ cars revved to 7K.

I’ll still go with the Lotus, but I’m not going to be making excuses for it. The evo review resonated with me the most as to the reality and Harry’s review resonated with me for emotion.

Yeah, expected. However I wanted a $100k exotic sportscar to be perfect as is (at least for the most part). Now it seems like I want coilovers and stiffer swaybars to help reduce bodyroll and fix that horrendous wheel gap.

Lotus debuting the Emira with the same engine as the Evoras but with less power is absolutely atrocious. Every single Evora owner has publically (or secretly) wished their car has more power. 450HP would have been very acceptable in 2022.. 500 even would have been amazing! 400, detuned down from 416/430, is a slap in the face. Every review is going to knock it for that. And now we're watching reviews talking about body roll and an underwhelming transmission? Ugh... So disappointing.

freefall_junkie

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
So I have just gorged on video reviews from Autocar, Car, Harry, Car Wow and Evo, and written reviews from EVO & Pistonheads. The EVO review seems a bit of an outlier in criticising the handling, and to have the Sport chassis panned for being too soft on track is very surprising and disappointing.

Other concerns for me: the Car review suggests the seat is still, (STILL!!!) too high. Please sort it out Lotus! Is it really that hard to get the driving position right? I am also concerned that at this very late stage several of the press cars have pre-prod quality niggles.

Overall I'm pretty happy with what I've seen. The car looks and sounds amazing, the steering (the very essence of a Lotus for me) is great, and my choice the Sport chassis seems perfectly usable on the road. Happy enough to commit to a July delivery without a test drive? Hmmm, not sure, need to think about that 🤔

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Something to remember for all of these reviews is....none of these cars being reviewed are final production cars. You can be sure Lotus is watching every single one, and paying attention to everything that's being said. I have no doubt they're going to want to address any issues mentioned (if they haven't already), that they are able to before production.

Overall I liked Harry's the best. Seeing him grinning like the Cheshire cat , and forgetting he was supposed to be talking about dislikes says it all for me. It's a fun car to drive. I really appreciate the part in his video about the difference between the sport and touring suspension. How important is Harry as a reviewer? He can pick up his phone and call Gavan personally, to discuss things, and immediately someone from Lotus shows up with another car. Harry's the real deal.

The CarWow review has a lot of really good shots of the tan leather interior, and it looks good. Good review overall.

The Evo review? Posers. The guy driving the Emira acted like one of those people you see in commercials showing how Brand X is confusing, awkward, etc., while the guy in the Porsche is together, poised, and showing how the featured product is so much better than Brand X. Nonsense.

Henry's and Chris' reviews are the ones I want to see next.

OP
digilotus

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I think the Autocar brake pedal needing more travel compared to other Emiras is a reflection of air being in the brake line. How many Evoras had that problem from new! This wouldn't surprise me at all.

freefall_junkie

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Yup, brutal. A bit unfair in some respects . . . the whole point of the Emira is to be a great street car, a modern Espirit. Evo didn't even drive the car on the roads, just a pure track test. They had the wrong tyres on the car (as they acknowledged) and drove it back to back with a Cayman GT4.
In the print version of Evo Henry Catchpole did a long road trip in the same car as in the video. Mostly very positive, but he does criticise the handling for having too much roll and lacking in precision on turn in, and that is with the sport set up which I would have expected to be razor sharp like an Evora 410 Sport. Strange that no other testers mention this. Perhaps the Sport chassis really needs the Cup tyres to come alive?

OP
digilotus

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
In the print version of Evo Henry Catchpole did a long road trip in the same car as in the video. Mostly very positive, but he does criticise the handling for having too much roll and lacking in precision on turn in, and that is with the sport set up which I would have expected to be razor sharp like an Evora 410 Sport. Strange that no other testers mention this. Perhaps the Sport chassis really needs the Cup tyres to come alive?
I suspect that Goodyears with Sports setup may be too much of a compromise - "jack of all trades, master of none".

I would think Touring + Goodyears or Sport + Cup2s are the way to go from all these reviews.

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Something to remember for all of these reviews is....none of these cars being reviewed are final production cars. You can be sure Lotus is watching every single one, and paying attention to everything that's being said. I have no doubt they're going to want to address any issues mentioned (if they haven't already), that they are able to before production.
As said previously this is a massive own goal by Lotus. 99% of Emira review videos online will be pre-production and we don't know what will or will not change.... So anyone using these videos in the future as part of their buying and decision-making process will be taking them as they are and using them to benchmark against other cars
There won't be another run of full production car reviews until the i4 hits and then will they even be full production. Will, there be a caveat about redlines, shift speed etc etc...
Anyway, I think it's a real shame they couldn't put their best foot forward here and capitalize on what should be a landmark occasion for the brand. Steering feel, brake feel, gearbox feel, and seating position should have been dialed in 100% by now.

LotusB

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I'm still going through the reviews, but are there any objective tests? I'm interested in the acceleration, especially compared to the Cayman GTS 4.0. Would love to see a side-by-side rolling test or anything with a Vbox/Dragy.

I think it's great that you're always so optimistic and giving Lotus so much credit, but I don't think so. At this point it's too late to make changes to the car. Maybe they'll tweak next years' version, but the FE is pretty much locked in already.

I'm past making excuses and hoping. That was plausible a year ago when they announced 400hp/6.8k RPM and we were all hopeful... but now I've pretty much relegated myself to the reality. We aren't getting the 416hp/7k RPM.

Calran

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Well folks I hope my efforts helped everyone on here.

I've been busily scanning all sources to populate the review index in realtime. Taking a break now as its nearing midnight. Will keep scanning but I think the bulk of them are out by now.

Happy viewing everyone!
Awesome work. Made viewing them all very easy. Big thanks!!!

freefall_junkie

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I suspect that Goodyears with Sports setup may be too much of a compromise - "jack of all trades, master of none".

I would think Touring + Goodyears or Sport + Cup2s are the way to go from all these reviews.
Arg. I originally specced Sport and Cup2s, then switched to Goodyears. From what I have seen I am happy I went for the Sport chassis (ex Exige owner) and at least I could then change to Cup2s at some stage in the future.

freefall_junkie

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
As said previously this is a massive own goal by Lotus. 99% of Emira review videos online will be pre-production and we don't know what will or will not change.... So anyone using these videos in the future as part of their buying and decision-making process will be taking them as they are and using them to benchmark against other cars
There won't be another run of full production car reviews until the i4 hits and then will they even be full production. Will, there be a caveat about redlines, shift speed etc etc...
Anyway, I think it's a real shame they couldn't put their best foot forward here and capitalize on what should be a landmark occasion for the brand. Steering feel, brake feel, gearbox feel, and seating position should have been dialed in 100% by now.
Agree 100%. To be putting out unfinished cars for review at this late stage is unforgivable and I suspect will have quite a number of early depositors demanding a test drive in a properly finished car before making the final financial commitment.