Emira Review Index [V6 FE]

Featured
For those looking for the latest Emira V6 FE reviews scheduled to be released today, I've self-volunteered to maintain a quick reference index here.
Please let me know of any missing articles and I'll update accordingly. (y)

ReviewerTypeDirect Link
EdmundsArticle
Harry's Garage (Harry Metcalfe)Video Review

Harry drives the Sports and Tour suspension back to back on the same road and shares his thoughts.
Schmee150 (Tim Burton)Video ReviewPublished 21st June
Carwow (Mat Watson)Video Review
TopGearArticles and VideoPublished 3rd July
Chris Harris talks about the Lotus Emira

Published 20th June

AutoTrader (Rory Reid)Video Review
EvoArticle and Video Review
CARArticle and Video ReviewPublished 22nd July

Lotus Emira vs Cayman 718 GTS vs Alpine 110s
AutocarArticle and Video Review
PistonheadsArticle
KHTVVideo Review
The DriveArticle
AutoExpressArticle
Pictures:
WhichCarArticle
CarBuyerArticle
HagertyArticle
Road and TrackArticlePublished 1st September
Lotus Emira Road and Track Drive

GoodwoodArticle
The IntercoolerPodcastReasonably good post-embargo Emira discussion on The Intercooler.
MotortrendArticle
DriveArticle
AFRArticle
ParkersArticle
CarExpertArticle
Caffeine & MachineArticle
Photos on Instagram:
The Sunday Times DrivingArticle
Car and DriverArticle
The SunArticle
AutoCar UKArticlePublished 2nd July

Last edited:

kbhoz

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Even that link doesn't seem to work anymore. They've pay-walled it! :(
Even that link doesn't seem to work anymore. They've pay-walled it! :(
For some reason it doesn't work on my PC either - still does on my iPad - possibly as I got it through a google alert it my be only avail through my google address.:rolleyes:

The last paragraph:-

Lotus boasts the Emira is the most comfortable and versatile street car it has ever built. For a variety of reasons, we are sampling it on a track (where there’s a lot more to think about than the car). But the fleeting experience is enough to give the sense this spectacular-looking Lotus may also have enough comfort, convenience and style to catch the attention of a more mainstream buyer. And although it may not be the ultimate Lotus on track, it’s still a pretty handy weapon.

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
Amen to that.
Now, just wait for the Chris Harris review. A lot will turn on thst one.
Lotus needs the Harris review to be enthusiastic and positive! I really hope they gave him sport chassis with cup2s.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
More interesting would be how they are processing the feedback internally - that we'll never know I suppose, that is until the Windle Memoirs decades from now
Let me hazard a guess by drawing a parallel.

Lotus senior management were concerned about an area of negative customer feedback, so proactively invited 6 customers to provide feedback in writing and face to face. Lotus acknowledged areas of the feedback were valid, accepted they’d fallen short and that they needed to take action to improve. Five months later how many of those actions have been carried out and what improvements have been visible to customers? Zero.

Even if they did decide to act on areas highlighted in press reviews, customer build starts in 1-2 weeks so options to re-engineer or tweak are limited.

As one example, the shifter feel on VP007 was flagged to reviewers by Lotus as being 80-90% ready as part of pre-drive briefings. Three months later several reviewers have said the shifting still isn’t quite what they’d expected. If they haven’t sorted it in 3 months, are they going to sort it in the next 2 weeks?

I do think it will be a great car and the shifter will probably be similar or slightly better than an Evora - which requires a precise, direct and not rushed gear change which you soon learn. But it’s very unlikely we’ll see significant changes between the review cars and customer cars. Also remember that what a reviewer highlights as a concern may be a non-issue to you when you actually drive the car.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Lotus needs the Harris review to be enthusiastic and positive! I really hope they gave him sport chassis with cup2s.
Remember the pics and teaser video show him at Anglesey with a damp track and cold, grey skies. I really hope he isn’t on Cup2s.

switchlanez

Emira Fan
Reaction score
As far as tires, they look like Goodyears based on the sidewall lacking Michelin's giant checkered flag texture.

1654821611667.png

Bilbao-Emira

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Great work @digilotus on compiling all this info.

Thanks all of you guys for the comments on the Reviews.

Been quite busy all week and can barely catch up on everything.

here is my complaint for the journalists:

So much time spent testing and not a single commentary about how my fridge is going to fit behind the seats and where do I plug it in!
Holy Crap!
🥲🥲🥲

#ForTheChampagne

Johnson

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I do think it will be a great car and the shifter will probably be similar or slightly better than an Evora - which requires a precise, direct and not rushed gear change which you soon learn…

Maybe an extra squirt of WD40? My mum always swore by duck fat…

TSEmira

Reaction score

Episode 3​

Top GearSeries 32
Episode 3 of 5
Freddie, Chris and Paddy attempt to qualify as lorry drivers before embarking on a stormy HGV road trip across Britain - and a spot of truck racing. Out on track, Chris runs the rule over the beautiful new Lotus Emira.
Release date: 19 June 2022

Apologies if above previously posted.
My first post...
Deposit 11th July
September build
Teesside area

CarGuy07

Emira Fan
Reaction score

Episode 3​

Top GearSeries 32
Episode 3 of 5
Freddie, Chris and Paddy attempt to qualify as lorry drivers before embarking on a stormy HGV road trip across Britain - and a spot of truck racing. Out on track, Chris runs the rule over the beautiful new Lotus Emira.
Release date: 19 June 2022

Apologies if above previously posted.
My first post...
Deposit 11th July
September build
Teesside area
Hmm wish it was this Sunday instead. Haha but premiering on Father’s Day isn’t bad.

switchlanez

Emira Fan
Reaction score
The C8 dropped 15 hp when Chevy added the particulate filter. The new regulations I believe require that filter for MY 2023 forward. Since everybody is closing out their ICE production, that's not likely to improve.
Chevy's C8 build and spec site was just updated for MY2023 and still shows 490hp base / 495hp Z51. The particulate filter regulation you mentioned might be a European thing as the C8 was released there this past year with ~15hp less than the US. I believe the GR Supra was also launched with less power in Europe so it's been this way for years. Might also be related to why the final Evora in UK was 410hp vs 416hp in US.

Last edited:

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Chevy's C8 build and spec site was just updated for MY2023 and still shows 490hp base / 495hp Z51. The particulate filter regulation you mentioned might be a European thing as the C8 was released there this past year with ~15hp than the US. I believe the GR Supra was also launched with less power in Europe so it's been this way for years. Might also be related to why the final Evora in UK was 410hp vs 416hp in the US.
Yes that filter had to be added for their export models to the U.K. and Europe. It definitely affects performance as well as sound.

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
As far as the email blast Lotus just sent out today, what else would they do? They obviously read not only the reviews, but most likely this forum since it's the premier Emira forum, and felt they needed to do some damage control and quick. I would imagine there were some long executive meetings at Hethel, and also with Geely after all this. Are they going to try and address some of the issues if they can before production? Of course they are, they'd be insane not to at least take a look at it.

If it were me, I'd also change how they do the review process. A Lotus employee needs to be with each car and the reviewers for a few reasons. One, to make sure there aren't any shenanigans. They were very naive to not realize there might be some back-door manipulation by some very important rivals that would not be happy to see the Emira out-score their offerings. Not saying that came from the company itself, but most certainly it could from dealers. Politics are ugly no matter where they are.

Two, that same employee (possibly even have two) should be equipped and able to make some adjustments and/or check to see if there's a problem and where it is should one crop up, if the car is not performing as they know it should be. Harry's video showed the importance of being able to respond to the situation, and it was so important to Harry, he changed his order spec as a result. That's the kind of thing new customers are going to want to see and know, especially if they're being put in the position of locking in an order without being able to do a test drive. If you have two distinctly different car setups; have them both available to the tester/reviewer so they can do and show the comparison.

These reviews weren't just tiktok videos for entertainment and clicks and likes, they're going to be viewed as sales material for their customers. Treat them as such and manage them as such. To me it was like Lotus was the small town kid who goes to audition on the big stage for a national talent show, gets the golden buzzer and then thinks that means they'll receive that kind of adulation all the way to winning the whole thing. Then they get hammered early on in the final rounds, and learn the hard way how ugly competition really is at the top levels when you're going for the win. They should have known Porsche (or Porsche dealers) weren't going to simply sit back and let them win the reviews. Of course there just happened to be a track ready GT4 there at the same time the Emira was. Talk about getting blind-sided.

Be all that as it may, the important reviews are going to be from the actual owners, especially those of you in the U.K. who get the first cars off the line next month.
I have said mostly the same and hence agree, but, I dont see much damage limitation.
It is totally natural for any car manufacturer, movie studio, cat food producer or whatever, to take the best bits of the reviews and put them on their website, emails, flyers, etc. This was something that was planned before the cars were ever reviewed, so this is not damage limitation to my mind, its just normal business practice and its unlikely that none of the reviewers would have had anything good to say, there always would be some good parts to take.

If, IMO, they were going for damage limitation and IF they were very worried about Evo AND others opinions on the supposedly better manual box and slightly soft steering, or understeer, then they would have added a few caveats. They would have said something along the lines of, "imagine what it will be like when the "final production" car is in your hands" implying that they are going to make some adjustments, without guaranteeing anything...
There are many things they could have said to appease those that are now a bit worried, but they didnt and hence thats why I say there is no damage limitation going on from Lotus, APART from giving EVO another car with the correct rubber for the track.
The real question here is WILL they make any other adjustments to the car they give them, can they make them? Can that gear shift from 2nd to 3rd be improved short term without it having to "wear in" over years which wont help. Will they dial the sports suspension up, roll bar adjustments, etc..... OR do they accept as seems the case, it wont handle better than the GTS, but they are okay with that, and that an 8/10 handling and 10/10 looks maybe what they were realistically going for with the budget they had, which lets face is is a pittance compared to Porsches....
Another final option is, they know what the top gear review will say already? And if its a 9/10 and simply says that in fact it is a real hard choice to make between the GTS and the EMira and that that choice isnt actually made, as it doesnt need to be made at the end of the day, or best case, they take home the Emira which is what I feel most would do in the real world, THEN they wont make many if any adjustments. Why? As TG will get approximately 1.5 million views within a week and maybe up to 3 to 5 longer term. Evo can only dream to get anywhere near 20% of that, so at that point, who cares.... Only we do.. haha, but not soooo much
good morning!

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Great work @digilotus on compiling all this info.

Thanks all of you guys for the comments on the Reviews.

Been quite busy all week and can barely catch up on everything.

here is my complaint for the journalists:

So much time spent testing and not a single commentary about how my fridge is going to fit behind the seats and where do I plug it in!
Holy Crap!
🥲🥲🥲

#ForTheChampagne
you need a Honda E ;)

MCS

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Don
As far as the email blast Lotus just sent out today, what else would they do? They obviously read not only the reviews, but most likely this forum since it's the premier Emira forum, and felt they needed to do some damage control and quick. I would imagine there were some long executive meetings at Hethel, and also with Geely after all this. Are they going to try and address some of the issues if they can before production? Of course they are, they'd be insane not to at least take a look at it.

If it were me, I'd also change how they do the review process. A Lotus employee needs to be with each car and the reviewers for a few reasons. One, to make sure there aren't any shenanigans. They were very naive to not realize there might be some back-door manipulation by some very important rivals that would not be happy to see the Emira out-score their offerings. Not saying that came from the company itself, but most certainly it could from dealers. Politics are ugly no matter where they are.

Two, that same employee (possibly even have two) should be equipped and able to make some adjustments and/or check to see if there's a problem and where it is should one crop up, if the car is not performing as they know it should be. Harry's video showed the importance of being able to respond to the situation, and it was so important to Harry, he changed his order spec as a result. That's the kind of thing new customers are going to want to see and know, especially if they're being put in the position of locking in an order without being able to do a test drive. If you have two distinctly different car setups; have them both available to the tester/reviewer so they can do and show the comparison.

These reviews weren't just tiktok videos for entertainment and clicks and likes, they're going to be viewed as sales material for their customers. Treat them as such and manage them as such. To me it was like Lotus was the small town kid who goes to audition on the big stage for a national talent show, gets the golden buzzer and then thinks that means they'll receive that kind of adulation all the way to winning the whole thing. Then they get hammered early on in the final rounds, and learn the hard way how ugly competition really is at the top levels when you're going for the win. They should have known Porsche (or Porsche dealers) weren't going to simply sit back and let them win the reviews. Of course there just happened to be a track ready GT4 there at the same time the Emira was. Talk about getting blind-sided.

Be all that as it may, the important reviews are going to be from the actual owners, especially those of you in the U.K. who get the first cars off the line next month.
Don’t know if anyone has mentioned this but the brand new GT4 that happened to be there is registered to Reading which also happens to be where Porsche’s UK head quarters are 🙂

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Let me hazard a guess by drawing a parallel.

Lotus senior management were concerned about an area of negative customer feedback, so proactively invited 6 customers to provide feedback in writing and face to face. Lotus acknowledged areas of the feedback were valid, accepted they’d fallen short and that they needed to take action to improve. Five months later how many of those actions have been carried out and what improvements have been visible to customers? Zero.

Even if they did decide to act on areas highlighted in press reviews, customer build starts in 1-2 weeks so options to re-engineer or tweak are limited.

As one example, the shifter feel on VP007 was flagged to reviewers by Lotus as being 80-90% ready as part of pre-drive briefings. Three months later several reviewers have said the shifting still isn’t quite what they’d expected. If they haven’t sorted it in 3 months, are they going to sort it in the next 2 weeks?

I do think it will be a great car and the shifter will probably be similar or slightly better than an Evora - which requires a precise, direct and not rushed gear change which you soon learn. But it’s very unlikely we’ll see significant changes between the review cars and customer cars. Also remember that what a reviewer highlights as a concern may be a non-issue to you when you actually drive the car.
Perfectly summarised and gives us some insight into how Lotus is still finding itself, and so far its missing a few major organs and limbs for sure. Should we be patient, yes, but can we expect the best car out of the gate *intentional pun, probably not. Can we and do we get anywhere near decent customer service, knowledgeable, lateral thinking and what have you..... not without going over their heads. This I am 100% used to living in Spain (sorry to the spaniards on here, but in 19 years, I feel I earned the right :))
I imagine over the course of the next year some more staff will GO and come, as has been the case since the take over. They now promote from within, a nice philosophy, for sure, but doesn't necessarily get you the best people or allow you to get rid of the worst. The current boss while being a nice guy and looks to be appeasing, but he certainly doesn't strike me as a typical leader, he's more the boss that tries to be friends with everyone and thats almost an impossible role to play, but what matters is that he is ultimately responsible for everything you have just said.....the buck, or dollar, stops with him.

If people have given their feedback and probably journalists too and they were understood and promised improvements, then it is VERY VERY poor form that these improvements have not been made, or at least explained to those that raised them.
I got my new Elise CUP 250, one of the last ones (sold to help pay for the Emira) and my first real road trip after having it delivered was to drive it from the Midlands to Barcelona, via France and the tunnel. I had never had that open and adjustable gear mechanism before and I kid you not, after about 20 gear changes, it would not get from 3rd down to 2nd....or viceversa when going a little faster, without virtually trying 5 times. It was an easy EASY adjustment to make, IF IF IF you had an allen key with you, but driving 1200 miles in 2 days I did not have one and so the whole experience was...for want of a better word, crap. My first real Lotus experience was ruined thanks to Lotus...

Add to this the boot closing mechanism didn't do what it was supposed to do, ie close.
I could never ever understand how their quality control staff continued to keep their jobs, or purchasing if the parts were low quality, BUT these sort of amateur and back street local producer antics are all gone I am sure!!!

I digress, as usual, but my point is, they are NOT there yet, but they are better. I and we will all love the car, I am 99% certain, but there is room for improvement, however, I personally dont think they will make that much of it, not as you said in 2 weeks.... 1 because they cant fix certain things that are beyond fixing, ie gear box and engine to some extent being past its emissions sell by date and 2 as they now need to concentrate on getting themselves internally better and the type 1356434333 electric sports car correct and without any excuses at all. I hope some small adjustments can be made, but as you said, if in 3 months they haven't been, then realistically we will get what we get and we will like it or we will lump it, but I go for like it :).

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Don

Don’t know if anyone has mentioned this but the brand new GT4 that happened to be there is registered to Reading which also happens to be where Porsche’s UK head quarters are 🙂
Yes, they either asked for it, or Porsche offered it. Either way it was very VERY poor form..... No one is afraid of the porsche competition, some of us hate them, some of us like them, but we should all certainly respect them! However, we or rather the journalists should also respect LOTUS, although they were very naive and pretty unprofessional themselves in this instance, not making certain rules themselves and enforcing them!
I know, we know, lotus will give them another car and for sure it will be better with the cup tyres, BUT it wont be anywhere near as good as the GT4 around that or ANY track, simple, we didnt need EVO to steel a march and tell us that and I resent them for it, but I dont generally watch many of their reviews and I certainly will watch less now.
I hope after they review the correct car, that Lotus then place them on a black list for a while... its just not professional what they did and how negative he was. It was as if he had been made to sell a porsche and buy a Lada... he wasnt happy and that was a depressing review, whether you are a lotus fan or not.....

And when I say he was made to sell a porsche, I MEAN HIS PORSCHE as he is OF COURSE a PORSCHE OWNER
A current owner of a Porsche 996 and a modified BMW 3-series, Jethro has a deep passion for cars and driving.

Some porsche drivers are really really hooked.... which I understand, but......

Hedge

Emira Fan
Reaction score
implying that they are going to make some adjustments, without guaranteeing anything...
That’s exactly what they’ve been doing for many months now. That’s why it’s so frustrating for me and my annoyance at the messaging from Hethel. They can’t do that any more. These are how the production cars will drive, subject to manufacturing variations.

Bizarrely, the the mechanical - non-snick-snick - gearshift is one thing I really enjoy! It really is a thing to feel.

sam041

Reaction score
I don't think this has been posted yet but parkers (text) review below:

Some excellent quotes in there including

we do have a good understanding of the way this car drives now – and simply put, it’s brilliant.

So if you’re after a toy that’s as stunning to look at as a supercar yet costs an enormous amount less, the Emira has got to be worth considering very seriously. It has the performance to deliver on the promises made by that appearance, too, though it’s really the involvement and enjoyment to be had threading your way through a sequence of challenging corners that underlines the appeal of this car. This is a driving enthusiast’s machine, through-and-through