• The June 2024 Lotus Emira of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 June 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Emira Issues - from final production cars

Noticed another issue on my car. The drivers side mirror seems to shake, almost wobble, over bumps. The passenger side mirror does not do this on mine, it seems stable and firmly in place. My mirror works in all intended ways, just seems less properly fixed in place within the mirror housing. Curious if anyone has a simple fix for this or if I should try and have my dealer take a look. Pretty minor detail, but figured I'd post here for visibility.

Noticed another issue on my car. The drivers side mirror seems to shake, almost wobble, over bumps. The passenger side mirror does not do this on mine, it seems stable and firmly in place. My mirror works in all intended ways, just seems less properly fixed in place within the mirror housing. Curious if anyone has a simple fix for this or if I should try and have my dealer take a look. Pretty minor detail, but figured I'd post here for visibility.

This was a common issue with the Evora mirrors, but haven't seen many Emira owners report this. I'd mention it to the dealer as they might be able to go in and secure or tighten something. You don't want to risk breaking the glass or anything else while it's under warranty. Just let the dealer handle it.

Is anyone in NA experiencing the seat rubbing on the plastic lip? I’ve seen posts on other groups and people are “fixing” with weather stripping. Checking if maybe Lotus addressed that issue on current production vehicles.

Is anyone in NA experiencing the seat rubbing on the plastic lip? I’ve seen posts on other groups and people are “fixing” with weather stripping. Checking if maybe Lotus addressed that issue on current production vehicles.
Check here:

Got another issue to ask about :) when washing my car, I notice that water is getting past the window seals and into the cabin. This seems to only occur from using the pressure washer, but I wouldn't be surprised if it happened a little bit when raining too. Anyone else have this issue? This has never happened to me in any other car.

The photos show the water that made it into the cabin. Most of the water is on inside of the window, but its hard to tell from the photos. Some of it driped from the window onto the door card / arm rest, which is a bit more obvious.
IMG_4753 2.JPG

IMG_4752.JPG

Got another issue to ask about :) when washing my car, I notice that water is getting past the window seals and into the cabin. This seems to only occur from using the pressure washer, but I wouldn't be surprised if it happened a little bit when raining too. Anyone else have this issue? This has never happened to me in any other car.

The photos show the water that made it into the cabin. Most of the water is on inside of the window, but its hard to tell from the photos. Some of it driped from the window onto the door card / arm rest, which is a bit more obvious.
View attachment 44379

View attachment 44378
I wouldn't put a pressure washer anywhere near a frameless window (unless on low pressure or with lance well away to reduce pressure).

View attachment 44379

View attachment 44378
Handwashing
Lotus recommends that your vehicle is
only washed by hand.
CAUTION: Automatic car washers
and jet washers may damage the
paint finish. Damage caused by
using them will not be covered
under the terms of the vehicle
warranty.

This is straight from the Lotus Manual!!!!

Handwashing
only washed by hand.
warranty.

I am hand washing, just using a pressure washer to blow off surface dirt initially and then spray rinse after soap wash. Using a pressure washer to wash a car seems pretty standard? I've had a few frameless window cars before and never had this issue. Even teslas don't have this issue ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I am hand washing, just using a pressure washer to blow off surface dirt initially and then spray rinse after soap wash. Using a pressure washer to wash a car seems pretty standard? I've had a few frameless window cars before and never had this issue. Even teslas don't have this issue ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Do wash as you please, it’s not like they reinvented a car. It absolutely should handle a pressure washer. The amount of water related issues on the Emira is insane.

As far as your seal problem goes, others had this issue too. Something about the seal not being fitted correctly. Consult your dealer, they can hear back from Lotus and cover this under warranty

Yup you just have to be super careful around the window frames. I tend to take a few steps back when doing the windows as I know water tends to seep in a little. After every wash I just get a dry towel and dry the few droplets that snuck through no big deal.

Try some Honda Shin Etsu grease (thanks to @kitkat for that tip!). I put it on both the doors and door opening seals. That stuff is like magic on rubber seals. A little goes a long way; use a dab on your finger tip and work it into the rubber in sections. You'll notice right away how it moisturizes and plumps up the seal. It should help with the sealing as well as eliminate any squeaks.

All good advice. And thanks @Eagle7 for that tip! I'll ask my dealer about it next I'm in there. 3 weeks into ownership, got a nice list of stuff to get looked at. I don't mind though, that's what I expected. Still love the car!

As someone that will DD mine when it arrives, the amount of issues being reported on cars arriving in the US is surprising and concerning. One would think the kinks would be worked out by now. I’m sure it’s still a minority of the cars out there but there are so many common themes. For us that are not close to the dealership this almost gives me pause at times. But I’m still hopeful these issues will become even more rare over time as they fine tune things. Fingers crossed. I just don’t want to live at the dealership after I get the car.

As someone that will DD mine when it arrives, the amount of issues being reported on cars arriving in the US is surprising and concerning. One would think the kinks would be worked out by now. I’m sure it’s still a minority of the cars out there but there are so many common themes. For us that are not close to the dealership this almost gives me pause at times. But I’m still hopeful these issues will become even more rare over time as they fine tune things. Fingers crossed. I just don’t want to live at the dealership after I get the car.
It depends on how serious you take the issues. Leaking window at pressure washing; probably gonna have to let that go. Seat bolster rubber, gonna need to be addressed aftermarket. Headlights fogging up, just live with it, pretty normal. The engine going into limp mode, AC not working, that’s a dealership trip.

It depends on how serious you take the issues. Leaking window at pressure washing; probably gonna have to let that go. Seat bolster rubber, gonna need to be addressed aftermarket. Headlights fogging up, just live with it, pretty normal. The engine going into limp mode, AC not working, that’s a dealership trip.
This sums up lotus ownership for me after years of ownership. MOST issues are annoyances but rarely (hopefully) will the car have major issues like limp mode that leave you stranded.

One I don’t recall reading about, filling up with fuel and the trigger clicks off, tank nowhere near full, fuel bubbles back up out of the filling port. Happened at 2 different stations the last 2 filling attempts. Anyone else had this?

My car has 600 miles and maybe 25% of the time I struggle to get it into reverse. I'll then put it back into 1st then to reverse to try to shake something in the linkage. Usually works. But sometimes it will only go into R if I let the car roll a little and shift while it's rolling (which can be hairy in a tight spot). Is anyone else experiencing this? Hoping it works its way out - last thing I want is anyone tinkering w linkage or tranny and causing more issues.

My car has 600 miles and maybe 25% of the time I struggle to get it into reverse. I'll then put it back into 1st then to reverse to try to shake something in the linkage. Usually works. But sometimes it will only go into R if I let the car roll a little and shift while it's rolling (which can be hairy in a tight spot). Is anyone else experiencing this? Hoping it works ots way out - last thing I want is anyone tinkering w linkage or tranny and causing more issues.
I get that a bit. A quick release of the clutch in N gets speed in the shaft which makes it easier for gears/sycros to mesh. I won't be surprised if slotting R with no shaft speed gets easier as components wear off their brand-new edges.

Also, sometimes the trans wants to hold me in R and I have to let the car roll an inch or two to get the lever out of R. I have what seems to be a bit of excess shifter cable movement (forward to aft, not crossgate which is tight) and maybe that plays a part in this too. My VIN is within the TSB for the A/C rain gutter, so I'll have the dealer take out the shifter slack when I'm in for that.

Handwashing
only washed by hand.
warranty.

What version number of the digital-only manual did that first appear? ;)