Emira Issues - from final production cars

DerTheDer

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
You joke but maybe…

Seems that this GRP blistering only happens below the waterline on boats.

Haven’t done much research on this for older Lotuses — if that’s the case I’m guessing there’s a higher prevalence of this in the UK and less so in dry environments like California.
It happened below the waterline trim on my Elise. Both sides bubbled. It doesn't get exposed to water anymore....

Concept24

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Many years ago when I had my 68 Corvette, someone rearended my car and I decided to have the entire car painted. After a number of months or maybe years, an area of paint started bubbling, similar to what was shown here. The culprit was some oil on the inside of the fiberglass. The oil made its way through the fiberglass fender and caused the paint to seperate and bubble.
Perhaps the moisture in the Emira's case came from within.

Kimmax

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Not worth a thread, but I was hit with "Limp mode / Reduced acceleration" and "Check ESC" yesterday. Limp mode put a rev limit at 4500ish rpm. Power cycling (about 30mins) solved the issue and it's back to normal again..

Emirahep

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Another few weeks and few hundred miles and I still “only” have two issues - wipers and no DAB.

Paint on my DV looking ok so far. Going in for detailing and full PPF next week so will report back what the experts say.

In terms of commentary above on respays etc I tend to agree that any repair is very difficult to match factory paint. Hence I was glad I did a Hethel collection and they swapped my bonnet with the “golf ball” ding in it. I can’t tell the difference.

I also recently had a bumper repair on my GR4 and to be fair to Toyota in Bracknell they did an awesome job painting and blending in the tricky 3 stage pearlescent scarlet paint. So it can be done !

Bilbao-Emira

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Not worth a thread, but I was hit with "Limp mode / Reduced acceleration" and "Check ESC" yesterday. Limp mode put a rev limit at 4500ish rpm. Power cycling (about 30mins) solved the issue and it's back to normal again..
Another customer here in Spain has got the same message about Reduced Acceleration a few times, and it always happened to him when he is stuck in traffic inside the city. Turns off the car and the message disappears.
He hasn't got the latest software update yet that seems to address this issue.
Have you got the software update lately?

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
So anyways…

Wondering if ppf helps mitigate the GRP blistering issue.

Green

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
So anyways…

Wondering if ppf helps mitigate the GRP blistering issue.
I was kind of thinking the opposite. When the PPF is removed at the end of its life span will it also remove all of the paint with it. This is one issue that does kind of concern me. Paint is important and is not a easy fix like many of the other problems.

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I was kind of thinking the opposite. When the PPF is removed at the end of its life span will it also remove all of the paint with it. This is one issue that does kind of concern me. Paint is important and is not a easy fix like many of the other problems.
Yeah I’m not a PPF person normally — I keep telling myself I’m in California and this won’t be an issue for me. This is an absolute dealbreaker for me if it happens more.

Green

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Yeah I’m not a PPF person normally — I keep telling myself I’m in California and this won’t be an issue for me. This is an absolute dealbreaker for me if it happens more.
I feel the same way. I will be out if there is a documented paint problem.

Kimmax

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Another customer here in Spain has got the same message about Reduced Acceleration a few times, and it always happened to him when he is stuck in traffic inside the city. Turns off the car and the message disappears.
He hasn't got the latest software update yet that seems to address this issue.
Have you got the software update lately?
Interesting. I'm in much city traffic, but this happened while rolling downhill and playing with the throttle a little for the pops. Didn’t happen again yet

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
I believe some of these issues were on very early production cars. Remember that Lotus had been partially building, and stock-piling parts for months when the supply crisis was going on. They couldn't get all the parts needed to build a complete car, so parts sat around a lot longer than normal, which would have given body panels a lot of time to be exposed to damp weather and conditions.

They're now producing 20 cars a day according to a tour visitor who asked (can't remember who it was, but it was recent) so their JIT system appears to now be working properly. This means parts arrive and go straight to paint and assembly in a very short amount of time, so there isn't time for parts to sit around unpainted to be exposed to moisture. Unless we start seeing some of this on recent production cars, I would say this is probably something only a few of the very early production cars might see.

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I believe some of these issues were on very early production cars. Remember that Lotus had been partially building, and stock-piling parts for months when the supply crisis was going on. They couldn't get all the parts needed to build a complete car, so parts sat around a lot longer than normal, which would have given body panels a lot of time to be exposed to damp weather and conditions.

They're now producing 20 cars a day according to a tour visitor who asked (can't remember who it was, but it was recent) so their JIT system appears to now be working properly. This means parts arrive and go straight to paint and assembly in a very short amount of time, so there isn't time for parts to sit around unpainted to be exposed to moisture. Unless we start seeing some of this on recent production cars, I would say this is probably something only a few of the very early production cars might see.

We won't be able to tell that until much later unfortunately.

They're also using a new composites supplier for the panels aren't they?

HdoBadr

Reaction score
Had first niggle at 45km only while I went on a cruise (Break-in period) had Engine light come on.

Drive back home turned off the car, came back after an hour, Engine light still on. Plugged in OBD2 scanner. See attached

Doesnt seem concerning, so I clear the codes. Engine light went away.
Will check again if it comes back on when I take the car for another trip tomorrow

Attachments

• 05F38CF6-3D0C-4A99-943B-1817528457D7.jpeg
    05F38CF6-3D0C-4A99-943B-1817528457D7.jpeg
    104.9 KB · Views: 105
OP
TomE

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Possibly faulty O2 sensor. If the CEL comes on again, see if it’s the same error code and the same sensor and bank.

Blacksheep

Reaction score
My engine light has come on 5 times to date, usually goes off after a couple of days and few drives. It sees to be when I try to start it too quickly after getting in or after stalling (oops).

Scott, the Lotus dealer and Lotus assist have all said to ignore it.

My list for the next software update: wipers, engine light, stop the stereo randomly muting and, in a perfect world, add fader functionality to the KEF

hml_xy

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
This is pretty harmless but a new one for me. Went away after restart.

(Parts of the cockpit interface went missing, UInwas slow to respond and somewhat "sluggish" at responding)
D1DD196A-92DF-4B0A-822F-696CCFBBA01A.jpeg

Kimmax

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
This is pretty harmless but a new one for me. Went away after restart.

(Parts of the cockpit interface went missing, UInwas slow to respond and somewhat "sluggish" at responding)
View attachment 26508
Have seen this too, there is also a version with nothing but the speed and fuel distance left plus some minimal decorations. Not even indicator lights work, only the sounds gives a clue of it being on. Additionally no widgets work and wheel buttons are completely unresponsive, including the cruise control.. :D