• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Emira Issues - from final production cars

Wonza

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Yup. Cracked by a stone.

But it’s turning into a big adventure.

Screen #3 will be fitted soon, hopefully.

I’ll file a report when the story concludes.
Wow what’s the availability of the windscreen from places like autoglass. Are they always in stock? Or did you have to wait weeks? Lotus or aftermarket windscreen?

KJD

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Wow what’s the availability of the windscreen from places like autoglass. Are they always in stock? Or did you have to wait weeks? Lotus or aftermarket windscreen?
I’m using Autoglass through my insurance.

There’s no aftermarket alternatives yet (unsurprisingly) so they (eventually) ordered an OEM one from Lotus.

They fitted it very well. Until they broke the DAB aerial connector.

Hence #3. The glass is £2k a pop. Expensive little connector (for them).

NeilS

Reaction score
I’m using Autoglass through my insurance.

There’s no aftermarket alternatives yet (unsurprisingly) so they (eventually) ordered an OEM one from Lotus.

They fitted it very well. Until they broke the DAB aerial connector.

Hence #3. The glass is £2k a pop. Expensive little connector (for them).
Now I'm worried Lotus may have damaged the DAB connector in ours at the factory....

virtualmacho

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Yup. Cracked by a stone.
Yikes, that's awful. Did you catch the kid who threw it?

Off topic, but while your bonnet/hood is open, do you have view to the inside of the front bumper (smooth inside or filled with ribs, directly in contact with metal sub-frame or floating on brackets) ? Just considering the possibility of "hanging" the front number plate from the upper lip. Thanks.

FederGigant

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Where did you get the tool to unlock the hood (bonnet?). I saw a video of someone using the tool. Apparently, this is necessary if you wish to replace the air filter.
The „tool“ should be in the same bag as the tire repair kit in the trunk, however it‘s just a standard Torx driver.

KJD

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Yikes, that's awful. Did you catch the kid who threw it?

Off topic, but while your bonnet/hood is open, do you have view to the inside of the front bumper (smooth inside or filled with ribs, directly in contact with metal sub-frame or floating on brackets) ? Just considering the possibility of "hanging" the front number plate from the upper lip. Thanks.
From memory, the inside of the bumper isn’t particularly accessible.
There’s a cross member of the subframe in the way at least.
I’ll try to remember to get a pic for you next time I’m in there.

KJD

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Now I'm worried Lotus may have damaged the DAB connector in ours at the factory....
It’s a possibility. Or maybe they forgot to connect it.

FYI, the DAB aerial is in the RHS of the screen. You can see the two dipole wires going up and down at the side.

Here’s a pic of the FM connector, on the LHS. Didn’t focus on the relevant bit but you can see the ribbon cable coming off the screen looping into the box on the A-pillar.
The DAB setup is a mirror image on the RHS.

15351A4A-F7C4-4516-9FA9-22D3126BE42D.jpeg

GAVLA

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Yup. Cracked by a stone.

But it’s turning into a big adventure.

Screen #3 will be fitted soon, hopefully.

I’ll file a report when the story concludes.
My windscreen was cracked by a stone last weekend. Luckily no bodywork damage and the crack is not eye level. Contacted my insurance this morning to claim for a replacement. Do you know whether there's any special technology in the windscreen that would make replacing it a problem?

KJD

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
My windscreen was cracked by a stone last weekend. Luckily no bodywork damage and the crack is not eye level. Contacted my insurance this morning to claim for a replacement. Do you know whether there's any special technology in the windscreen that would make replacing it a problem?
No, it’s pretty conventional.

Unlike the Evora for example, which had external A-pillar trims that were notoriously awkward to fit properly.

As I said, the Autoglass guys had done a good job of fitting the glass. It was a silly problem with the aerial that cocked it up.

GAVLA

Emira Fan
Reaction score
No, it’s pretty conventional.

Unlike the Evora for example, which had external A-pillar trims that were notoriously awkward to fit properly.

As I said, the Autoglass guys had done a good job of fitting the glass. It was a silly problem with the aerial that cocked it up.
Thanks. I will check they don't damage the aerial in the process - as it happens my DAB radio isn't working anyway 😢

Last edited:

scoates

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Copied from my "Scoates' Magma Red Emira" thread:

I have also noticed a more concerning issue. There is paint beginning to bubble up on the passenger door. Just noticed today and can't think of anything to have caused it. I've not put any coatings on it, there has been nothing left on the paint to etch in, and only washed with a plain shampoo from Autoglym. Will definitely be getting in touch with customer care ASAP about this one!

NsXrT5R.jpg

WlpsYCL.jpg

oinSClR.jpg

Visible in the last image if you zoom in around where the shadow from the wing mirror is. Also some orange peel visible too...

Peeltone

Reaction score
Copied from my "Scoates' Magma Red Emira" thread:

I have also noticed a more concerning issue. There is paint beginning to bubble up on the passenger door. Just noticed today and can't think of anything to have caused it. I've not put any coatings on it, there has been nothing left on the paint to etch in, and only washed with a plain shampoo from Autoglym. Will definitely be getting in touch with customer care ASAP about this one!

NsXrT5R.jpg

WlpsYCL.jpg

oinSClR.jpg

Visible in the last image if you zoom in around where the shadow from the wing mirror is. Also some orange peel visible too...
There was a thread on seloc about a nimbus with similar issue. Hopefully this isn’t a thing to come sorry to see this for Scoates.

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Man I don’t even know what to say @scoates , really hate that this is happening to your car.

It’s just issue after issue with the Emira.

Magicman

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Thanks. I will check they don't damage the aerial in the process - as it happens my DAB radio isn't working anyway 😢
On the dab have you just got no stations? If so drag down o the screen to refresh and they all should appear

BeHappy

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
So taken almost nearly 6 months for issue to show - as Scoates was an early delivery Nov last year - wonder if this has any bearing and this an isolated issue that won’t be seen on later cars ? - Emira also doesn’t like Scottish weather

jamesbxxx

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I had a similar issue with an Elise when left outside in the damp under a cover. Water coming from the inside through the porous body material and getting trapped under the paint. Most of the bubbles went away once the body dried out properly, without any lasting damage (only stretched the paint on one or two large bubbles)

• Useful
Reactions: ino

shaank

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Oh water, water, water.

Front loom corroded from water damage. Massive job to replace. Emira away again for 'TBC length of time'.

More details in my ownership thread.

Toomanyloti

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Oh water, water, water.

Front loom corroded from water damage. Massive job to replace. Emira away again for 'TBC length of time'.

More details in my ownership thread.
more like salty water damage.

Mine just dont go out in that sh!t period...