Emira DEMO for U.S. dealers

firstlotus

Reaction score
Has anyone else heard that the U.S. dealers are supposed to be getting an Emira DEMO in March?
Which by Lotus's timetable would mean May/June probably... lol...
The color samples are supposed to arrive in January (any day now)
The main word here is 'supposed' to... btw

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I’m not sure about US demo cars. UK demo cars were originally (last July) going to be March but I suspect are delayed 1 month along with the first customer deliveries.

I believe one of the show cars is due to return to the US in the next few months, to visit dealerships not covered in the tour late last year.

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
No way we're getting a driveable demo by March here in the states. My guess would be July or August if we're lucky.. but most likely not until 2023 after the first batch of deliveries are made.

I just want to see a final production First Edition model so we'll know exactly what we're getting. There has been so many rumors and tweaks to the official configurator.. Here's a list of specifics I want to see:
  • colors other than Seneca, Shadow, or Hethel
  • finalized production ride height
  • engine trim (are we getting that poorly fitted plastic shroud around the V6 or will it be classed up a bit?)
  • interior accents (will manuals get any sort of FE badging inside or signature/number plate? colored center stripe on the seats?)
  • seats (we still haven't see finalized seats sitting ~20mm lower with more bolstering)
  • headliner and visors (some promo pics have shown deviated stitching on the visors as well as the seats and dash trim)
  • a full demo of the digital cockpit display and what capabilities and customizations it has (if any)
  • let's hear that KEF audio system!
Honestly, I'm just anticipating journalist reviews at this point. I'll be surprised if we get to drive one before taking delivery.

scoates

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I’m not sure about US demo cars. UK demo cars were originally (last July) going to be March but I suspect are delayed 1 month along with the first customer deliveries.

I believe one of the show cars is due to return to the US in the next few months, to visit dealerships not covered in the tour late last year.

I popped into my dealer (Lotus Glasgow) on Friday and they said that after a recent meeting that they're not expecting a demo car until around June. Not sure how this would impact the rest of UK, or rest of world estimates though!

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I have a hunch there is something bumping all the early cars (including press and demo) into June, but whatever it is isn't having a massive impact on total production volumes for 2022.

Some of you may know a lot of the Final Edition Elises where significantly delayed because the soft top supplier had issues with Covid impact on workforce and raw materials. So nearly-completed cars were stuck at Hethel unable to be delivered to customers. Some customers were offered free hard tops and a promise of soft tops to follow later, so they could clear cars out to customers.

I wonder if Emiras are held up by some small but crucial final component that's not coming until into May. Lotus could possibly get round that for press drives but not for dealer demos and customer cars.

jamesbxxx

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
My company installs network equipment and the lead times are getting worse, not better, due to severe chip shortages. Recently quoted 12 months for delivery of a unit that would normally be manufactured in 4-6 weeks.

My suggestion that Lotus would be similarly affected was brushed off by the roadshow staff. They confidently claimed that they had everything they needed (contrary to the rest of the market). I guess that's what they were told by their suppliers... There is absolutely no way they can keep to schedule and build all the pre-ordered cars this year. As well as the extra 6+ months delay, we can also worry about the expected price increase that's bound to follow...

4GIV8M3

Emira Fan
Reaction score
The Emira won't be as effected as other cars due to lack of tech but I would be very surprised if I get to drive my car in decent weather this year. High probability I will be driving my Emira for the first time in 2023 and I'm #1 at my dealer.

IanO

Reaction score
The Emira won't be as effected as other cars due to lack of tech but I would be very surprised if I get to drive my car in decent weather this year. High probability I will be driving my Emira for the first time in 2023 and I'm #1 at my dealer.
It's also possible that they will be less affected as they weren't in production when Covid hit. A lot of automotive manufacturers have been particularly hard hit because they cancelled their orders at the start of the pandemic and the released production capability was snapped up by consumer electronics so there was none left when the car firms tried to start up again. With the Emira not being in production the orders won't have been cancelled and the contracts are more likely to be fulfilled as the volume was already planned in. I'm sure they will be affected as everyone has been but maybe not as much as some.

Tonyshepp

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
My company installs network equipment and the lead times are getting worse, not better, due to severe chip shortages. Recently quoted 12 months for delivery of a unit that would normally be manufactured in 4-6 weeks.

My suggestion that Lotus would be similarly affected was brushed off by the roadshow staff. They confidently claimed that they had everything they needed (contrary to the rest of the market). I guess that's what they were told by their suppliers... There is absolutely no way they can keep to schedule and build all the pre-ordered cars this year. As well as the extra 6+ months delay, we can also worry about the expected price increase that's bound to follow...
I work in the IT industry too and we’ve seen this too. Price increases next year for components will hit Lotus, I can’t see the base car at 60k hitting the market next year

Mike-engel

Emira Fiend
Reaction score

This is what I’ve heard as well.

freefall_junkie

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I work in the IT industry too and we’ve seen this too. Price increases next year for components will hit Lotus, I can’t see the base car at 60k hitting the market next year
Yes, with the supply squeeze and inflation running hot the chances of a sub £60k base Emira ever seeing the light of day are decreasing all the time. Emira price rises are inevitable. The FE might even look like a bargain in a year or two, at least that is what my man-maths is telling me :)

Last edited:

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
It's also possible that they will be less affected as they weren't in production when Covid hit. A lot of automotive manufacturers have been particularly hard hit because they cancelled their orders at the start of the pandemic and the released production capability was snapped up by consumer electronics so there was none left when the car firms tried to start up again. With the Emira not being in production the orders won't have been cancelled and the contracts are more likely to be fulfilled as the volume was already planned in. I'm sure they will be affected as everyone has been but maybe not as much as some.
I think this is the more likely scenario. We know Lotus had many of the initial supply agreements in place before September last year, based on their pre-reveal estimated sales numbers. The situation on stitching on the manual steering wheels demonstrated they had already committed to initial supply volumes - so that was at least 8 months prior to first customer deliveries.

The reveal/UK pre-order process was also designed to help gauge demand a long way in advance. The fact they are considering case by case spec changes for June cars suggests all the materials are inbound for at least that first month of deliveries.

khamai

Reaction score
Production delays are not only supply chain issues, but also due to COVID related travel restrictions. Travel restrictions prevented Lotus personnel and cars from travelling abroad for track and road testing/development. This was the case for both Emira and Evija testing.

Kiyoshi

TXEMIRA

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
I think this is the more likely scenario. We know Lotus had many of the initial supply agreements in place before September last year, based on their pre-reveal estimated sales numbers. The situation on stitching on the manual steering wheels demonstrated they had already committed to initial supply volumes - so that was at least 8 months prior to first customer deliveries.

The reveal/UK pre-order process was also designed to help gauge demand a long way in advance. The fact they are considering case by case spec changes for June cars suggests all the materials are inbound for at least that first month of deliveries.
That TDC item is a disaster for so many reasons. I’ve never built anything in my life but I know that Lotus has their own data from their own configurator and past sales to know at least 70% of these cars will me manual.

The last thing I want anyone saying is “oh it’s easy to change that with someone else after you buy it from us…”

It’s probably the easiest item to talk about to convey the problems we have right now.

Communication
Planning
Customer Feedback
Etc.

Simple item. Easy explanation. Great example to use for the next launch.