Diaries of the first Lotus Emira picked up from Hethel - V6 FE - yellow / ice / silver / sport

lion shf

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
The calipers match the lotus badge, a 'lemon yellow' shall we say, rather than the warmer more mustard tone of the Hethel Yellow paintwork. They definitely do NOT match the paint work at all, they look cool, but I'm tempted to have them painted.
This is a real problem, look what can go wrong
tD4YZlS.jpg

this is so awful

OP
S

shaank

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Well, this thread is a diary of my Lotus Emira.... both good and bad...

First up, Lotus have been excellent, especially Scott Walker. However the car has had a few weird software snags recently, errors that go away if you just turn the car off and on again. However they started to get more serious and putting the car in limp mode, occasionally preventing the car from starting also. So Lotus recovered the vehicle earlier this week, provided a courtesy car, and are working to resolve. Hopefully get it back asap.

Sad reel of it being taken away :(

Last edited:

Jonhklee

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Well, this thread is a diary of my Lotus Emira....

First up, Lotus have been excellent, especially Scott Walker. However the car has had a few weird software snags recently, errors that go away if you just turn the car off and on again. However they started to get more serious and putting the car in limp mode, occasionally preventing the car from starting also. So Lotus recovered the vehicle earlier this week, provided a courtesy car, and are working to resolve. Hopefully get it back asap.

What’s your courtesy car? I hope it’s not a Evora GT410….

EM12AAM

Reaction score
Well, this thread is a diary of my Lotus Emira....

Sorry to hear.

Incidentally, I am sold on your choice of Ice Grey leather - looks amazing so I'm switching from my black. But I think the lemon yellow callipers would annoy me so I'm switching those to silver, I think. It's that or black because I'm not fond of red callipers.

Then again, if the car is delayed beyond my latest estimated build date of May I may be reconsidering... I really don't want to get the car just in time for winter...

Evotion

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
OMG! Non matching yellows! This could be the end as we know it. 🥴
You may find that the tyres don't match the dark plastic sills and splitters..

And you have seen that FE badge on the rear pillar! Not even in the right place!

EM12AAM

Reaction score
OMG! Non matching yellows! This could be the end as we know it. 🥴
You may find that the tyres don't match the dark plastic sills and splitters..

And you have seen that FE badge on the rear pillar! Not even in the right place!
I am sorry, but yes this would wind me up.

I already have a Jim Clark commemorative black and gold enamel badge that I am hoping to swap out on the bonnet - I may even ask the factory to do it - but if the lugs don't fit then I also have an adhesive version.

And tyres can be painted. It'll be fine. Please don't worry. :)

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Hey @shaank do you own a fairly accurate caliper or ruler of some kind?

I'm trying to get the exact measurements of the height and width of the glass in the center screen unit in the Emira. Not the outer dimension or the LCD display, but the size of the glass face itself. A group of us on another thread are trying to figure out what anti-glare screen protector products might work, or try to work with a manufacturer for an exact-fit.

OP
S

shaank

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Not posted in a week on this thread.

It's been 3 weeks now since the Emira has been back at Lotus Glasgow. Getting really good updates from them, but still not sorted unfortunately.

ECU is now being replaced this week, with a hope that will resolve the software bugs and issues causing the car to go into limp mode and that is currently preventing the vehicle from starting at all right now. Fingers are crossed.

Cross copied for a post in another thread, for transparency here is the issue list. Number 4 on this list is the issue currently being experienced by the dealership, so they are unable to progress the rest till that's resolved.

1) Wipers when on auto mode sometimes don't go into full speed mode when needed - Harry mentions this in his video also.
2) Engine Management Light - it's come on randomly a few times with no errors at all the last few days - but car drives fine.
3) Engine Management Light - and car goes into 'Engine Reduced Acceleration' mode - effectively limp mode, max 3500rpm etc. Turning off and on sorted this, but why did it happen?
4) The car needed the battery disconnected and reconnected to do a full restart on the car's software because it wasn't starting, or fully turning off once, super weird, like it was stuck in diagnostics mode loop. Easily sorted, but could be related to software or battery issue?
5) Passenger seat belt is twisted, and keeps twisting even if you untwist it.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Discussion on seat belts jamming moved to here:

OP
S

shaank

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Ok - here we go - big text update.

After several 'software' sort of issues between Christmas and New Year on the Emira, limp mode kicking in, the battery needing disconnected several times, EML warning light randomly on and off, the car not starting a few times - it got recovered to Lotus on 9th January. Yes, I was provided with a courtesy car (thanks Scott and Abi if you are reading this!), and comms were really good going through the diagnostics and eventual repair by Glasgow Lotus (thanks Ross and team).

So yesterday afternoon I picked up the car, left the courtesy car at the dealership, good chat with the guys at Glasgow Lotus.

The ECU has been replaced along with some fuses - so obviously some kind of shorting issue that damaged the previous ECU, making these weird glitches appear. Sure it took longer than I'd like, but it's all new to diagnose and work out the problems. I can see several other members saying they've had the same issues I've noted above, so I'd suspect an ECU replacement is on the cards, and a software update is imminent also.

I should note that the wiper issue software is not yet available, so not applied to my Emira. It's still on the to be sorted list.

Later today, I'm meeting a very well known car 'YouTuber' / journalist for what I hope is a good review of the Emira.

So all good right?

Perhaps not.

Cleaned the car up, decided to take it for a drive....

ESC Service Required warning appeared.
Red triangle warning light (I assume for the above)
Stability / Traction control light randomly flashing
Brakepad warning light on

Sighs.
Turned car off, and on. errors came back.
Battery disconnect, errors cleared and haven't as yet come back.

Any bets they appear later today during videoing for a YouTube video 100k plus people will see? I really, really hope not, for Lotus' sake and my own pride in this car. I can't do anything with Lotus now as the technicians in the dealerships aren't open until Monday, neither is Customer Care at Lotus HQ.... so I'm stuck, either not use it, cancel my plans, or go ahead and hope for the best.

To be continued.......

Last edited:

robrmon

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order

After several 'software' sort of issues between Christmas and New Year on the Emira, limp mode kicking in, the battery needing disconnected several times, EML warning light randomly on and off, the car not starting a few times - it got recovered to Lotus on 9th January. Yes, I was provided with a courtesy car (thanks Scott and Abi if you are reading this!), and comms were really good going through the diagnostics and eventual repair by Glasgow Lotus (thanks Ross and team).

So yesterday afternoon I picked up the car, left the courtesy car at the dealership, good chat with the guys at Glasgow Lotus.

The ECU has been replaced along with some fuses - so obviously some kind of shorting issue that damaged the previous ECU, making these weird glitches appear. Sure it took longer than I'd like, but it's all new to diagnose and work out the problems. I can see several other members saying they've had the same issues I've noted above, so I'd suspect an ECU replacement is on the cards, and a software update is imminent also.

I should note that the wiper issue software is not yet available, so not applied to my Emira. It's still on the to be sorted list.

Later today, I'm meeting a very well known car 'YouTuber' / journalist for what I hope is a good review of the Emira.

So all good right?

Perhaps not.

Sighs.

Any bets they appear later today during videoing for a YouTube video 100k plus people will see? I really, really hope not, for Lotus' sake and my own pride in this car.

To be continued.......
Just wow

OP
S

shaank

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Just to be clear, I'm not bashing the car, or lotus, or the dealership. But... I do want these further gremlins after the ECU has been replaced, sorted.

Actually here's another one. Super minor, but boy is it annoying.

If you use the built in SatNav - and cancel your navigation while there is a pop up for a junction on a motorway or roundabout, the popup stays on your main drivers display, but the central display no longer shows your route is active. So you drive around for the rest of the journey with 'take the next exit' giant graphic in front of you. Cancelling the navigation at any other time is fine.

silent cilantro

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Any bets they appear later today during videoing for a YouTube video 100k plus people will see? I really, really hope not, for Lotus' sake and my own pride in this car.
Maybe that'll wake Lotus up.. a little negative press

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Maybe that'll wake Lotus up.. a little negative press
right around the time they are trying to IPO the Lotus Electric Division.... you can't make this stuff up.

not that one YouTuber will make much of a difference.... but if it was all the US car mag's.... yeeesh.

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score

So all good right?

Perhaps not.

Sighs.

Any bets they appear later today during videoing for a YouTube video 100k plus people will see? I really, really hope not, for Lotus' sake and my own pride in this car. I can't do anything with Lotus now as the technicians in the dealerships aren't open until Monday, neither is Customer Care at Lotus HQ.... so I'm stuck, either not use it, cancel my plans, or go ahead and hope for the best.

To be continued.......

Yeah, wow.. I'm done. I can overlook (and have been) so many things these past 2 years... From the dated and detuned powertrain to the mediocre reviews and their piss poor comms and them removing features originally advertised... But all that combined with constant issues being reported and their inability to properly repair them is enough for me to back out. They seem incompetent on so many levels. I'm calling my dealer tomorrow morning.

eriegz

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Yeah, wow.. I'm done. I can overlook (and have been) so many things these past 2 years... From the dated and detuned powertrain to the mediocre reviews and their piss poor comms and them removing features originally advertised... But all that combined with constant issues being reported and their inability to properly repair them is enough for me to back out. They seem incompetent on so many levels. I'm calling my dealer tomorrow morning.
Man... I want to try to talk you down from that ledge, but I've been thinking the same thing lately... 😔

OP
S

shaank

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Sorry you feel that :( I haven't posted any of this to push anyone away from the car. I think it's awesome, I genuinely am very happy with it even if I get frustrated at the issues. I have to accept these are teething issues with a new model. Sure, it's not great that there are issues, but they are being sorted (and this new error I trust will be resolved too).

DerTheDer

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner

As a follower of your Insta page it is sad to hear, but unfortunately where a lot of us are headed.