Diaries of the first Lotus Emira picked up from Hethel - V6 FE - yellow / ice / silver / sport

OP
S

shaank

Emira Fan
Reaction score
And here's more, courtesy of Dave Coia (instagram coiacreative)

Emira-22.png

IG-1.png

IG-2.png

IG-5.png

IH8theMavs

Reaction score
How did they get the black Lotus lettering on the back without the upper black pack?

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I asked Lotus to give me the black letters separately after I picked up the car, and then I fitted them in place of the silver ones :)
Looks better than the silver ones on the yellow paint... good choice!

OP
S

shaank

Emira Fan
Reaction score
UPDATE....

So, unfortunately a few software glitches has caused Lotus to recover the vehicle back to the nearest dealership to check it out and apply some updates to resolve.

Issues (that others have experienced too I can see)

1) Wipers when on auto mode sometimes don't go into full speed mode when needed - Harry mentions this in his video also.
2) Engine Management Light - it's come on randomly a few times with no errors at all the last few days - but car drives fine.
3) Engine Management Light - and car goes into 'Engine Reduced Acceleration' mode - effectively limp mode, max 3500rpm etc. Turning off and on sorted this, but why did it happen?
4) The car needed the battery disconnected and reconnected to do a full restart on the car's software because it wasn't starting, or fully turning off once, super weird, like it was stuck in diagnostics mode loop. Easily sorted, but could be related to software or battery issue?
5) Passenger seat belt is twisted, and keeps twisting even if you untwist it.

Hoping to have it back in next few days and I'll update on the fixes. Lotus, and Scott in particular, service has been decent, and as an early adopter I'm accepting this is just part of the experience, and can be quickly resolved with some updated software coded on.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Sorry to hear about the glitches. All of those have been reported by a few other people too so hopefully Lotus already have fixes defined rather than needing to diagnose - random and intermittent issues are always a pain to trace out.

I've heard some of these may be caused by an earthing issue, which causes the ECU to get confused and switch into limp mode. Some of the dealer demo cars were affected. I also know there's a software update due sometime in January to address a few things, so maybe that's what you're getting.

If you find out any details from Lotus about what has caused the issues and the nature of the fixes then that will be useful for other people if they encounter them. I'll copy these to the "known issues" thread.

EM12AAM

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing all of this. Your car is close to my spec except I have black wheels and black leather... but I must admit that ice leather looks lovely and I am on the verge of switching to it.

How do you like the yellow callipers? Lotus told me that the difference in colour isn't really noticeable but it does seem so from your picture. Then again, we all know that the camera does lie... at least sometimes.

OP
S

shaank

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing all of this. Your car is close to my spec except I have black wheels and black leather... but I must admit that ice leather looks lovely and I am on the verge of switching to it.

How do you like the yellow callipers? Lotus told me that the difference in colour isn't really noticeable but it does seem so from your picture. Then again, we all know that the camera does lie... at least sometimes.
The calipers match the lotus badge, a 'lemon yellow' shall we say, rather than the warmer more mustard tone of the Hethel Yellow paintwork. They definitely do NOT match the paint work at all, they look cool, but I'm tempted to have them painted.