Diaries of the first Lotus Emira picked up from Hethel - V6 FE - yellow / ice / silver / sport

FrenchBred

Reaction score
@shaank How are you coping with snow and ice?
Is the demister efficient?
Are you able to reach the middle of the screen to scrape ice off?
Does snow settle anywhere like boomerangs or engine vent (boot water slide)?
Do you have traction and confidence on compacted snow/ice?

Last edited:
OP
S

shaank

Emira Fan
Reaction score
HOW BLOODY GOOD DOES IT LOOK WITH NO FRONT PLATE!!! ARGH - WANT

Swapped my plates over to one of my private registration plates today. This was interesting as I got a good look at the front mounting bracket, so took some quick videos and pics, and complied them into the below.

Also I'm working on redesigning it a little so I can have a magnetic front plate holder - watch this space 'soon' ;)

If you want to fit a shorter front plate, you will need to use a hack saw or such on the arms of the bracket. An allen key is needed to take the arms of the base of the bracket to do this. The base of the bracket is screwed into the front bumper with four philips screws, and as such leaves four holes if you want to run plateless.

The rear plate is just sticky taped on, though there appears to be mounting holes underneath in the rear diffuser pre-drilled, I assume for plate holders in other countries etc.

Last edited:
OP
S

shaank

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I've also got over 100 professional pics of the car now from various shoots, I just need to upload some to post here :D

But plenty on instagram in the meantime, I WILL do this (soon....)

@FrenchBred to answer your questions:
it's ok on snow and ice, better than my M4 but obviously I'm being very careful with it.
No issues de-icing or reaching anywhere on it.
on compacted snow and ice, again it's ok, just take it slow in a high gear and it's fine so far!

Tonyshepp

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
HOW BLOODY GOOD DOES IT LOOK WITH NO FRONT PLATE!!! ARGH - WANT

Swapped my plates over to one of my private registration plates today. This was interesting as I got a good look at the front mounting bracket, so took some quick videos and pics, and complied them into the below.

Also I'm working on redesigning it a little so I can have a magnetic front plate holder - watch this space 'soon' ;)

If you want to fit a shorter front plate, you will need to use a hack saw or such on the arms of the bracket. An allen key is needed to take the arms of the base of the bracket to do this. The base of the bracket is screwed into the front bumper with four philips screws, and as such leaves four holes if you want to run plateless.

The rear plate is just sticky taped on, though there appears to be mounting holes underneath in the rear diffuser pre-drilled, I assume for plate holders in other countries etc.

@shaank are the front plates stuck on too or screwed onto the mount?

Joel

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Thanks for taking the time to upload that, I have a similarly short plate I intend to fit so it's good to see what that might look like!

I believe lotus have a mounting bracket for Aus/NZ plates which are much smaller than UK plates, if we could get hold of that I think less hack sawing would be needed! I believe the plates over there are only about 300x100mm so perfect for a shorter UK plate.

@shaank since you're thinking about alternative ways to mount the plate, have you considered fabricating something to tilt the plate backwards? Plenty of cars don't have vertical number plates and the law says "as vertical as possible" which leaves wiggle room. I had been thinking about fabricating a mount so that the plate was angled and closer to the lip, wondering if others have thought about that

Jimblob

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
8D2D4931-1DEE-4E58-A0C7-8E42D656EBE1.jpeg
@shaank are the front plates stuck on too or screwed onto the mount?
They are stuck onto the front mount which is then screwed into the bumper.

Where the mount is screwed in they’ve made rather horrible raised little holes. I was hoping to remove the front bumper and put some v small little black bungs into the holes… I now think that will look worse than the number plate.

912Matt

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Thanks for taking the time to upload that, I have a similarly short plate I intend to fit so it's good to see what that might look like!

I believe lotus have a mounting bracket for Aus/NZ plates which are much smaller than UK plates, if we could get hold of that I think less hack sawing would be needed! I believe the plates over there are only about 300x100mm so perfect for a shorter UK plate.

@shaank since you're thinking about alternative ways to mount the plate, have you considered fabricating something to tilt the plate backwards? Plenty of cars don't have vertical number plates and the law says "as vertical as possible" which leaves wiggle room. I had been thinking about fabricating a mount so that the plate was angled and closer to the lip, wondering if others have thought about that
If someone does fabricate a mount to achieve this, please put me down for one, seems like a no- brainer

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
UK front plates are held with double-sided tape to the plate holder, so are easily removed. Taking off the plate holder, cutting it down and re-fitting it is a 30 minute job. I guess you might want to paint or tape the cut edge. The new plate hides the cut.

The mount (part that screws into the lower lip) is universal worldwide. The plate holders vary by region, so one from another region should be shorter. For previous E-cars you could order non-UK holders from your UK dealer or Deroure (Lotus parts).

Number plate mount Frederic Koninckx Antwerp 04.jpg

Pic: Lotus Antwerp

OP
S

shaank

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Next photoshoot uploading now.... some epics shots to come! Hopefully get them up tonight or first thing tomorrow.