Covering the central screen with a matt screen protector

Jimblob

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
The main screen can suffer from glare in a few light conditions - nothing major but something that i think can be easily citified with a matt film.

Has anyone else tried using a matt film on theirs?

I bought at iPad pro one from Amazon which is very nearly big enough to cover the screen. I say nearly, it is big enough in term of overall dimensions but where there is a small cut-back section for the iPad camera means i also have a small cut back section on edge of the screen (very hard to see in pictures).

The film I bought also makes the screen very very slightly blurry and I'm sure the one i purchased for my bikes Garmin doesn't do that. Also where i cut the film its very slightly raised the edge so the film doesn't fit flush along the bottom edge (see pic). And finally where i trimmed the corner i didn't do the best job and will try to do a better job on a more permanent film.

Anyone have any better films / suggestions? Is someone (Lotus of others) going to make a perfect one?

Attachments

• IMG_0736.jpeg
    IMG_0736.jpeg
    201.7 KB · Views: 233
  • IMG_0734.jpeg
    IMG_0734.jpeg
    177.3 KB · Views: 168

Mark.

Reaction score
Good call and something I will definitely be doing. Even if its a glass screen protector.

Hopefully someone will start producing them.

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
I generally try to stay away from matte screen protectors for screens that will be touched. The matte texture holds on to oil and dirt and is harder to clean with just a wipe. Also it makes the screen slightly blurry. My slight OCD won't allow me to live with knowing that the screen could look sharper.

Toomanyloti

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
hows about some PPF? Get an expert to do it??? Cutting the edges will always be a pain unless you have done miles of it I suppose

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
The best solution for this is a glass film designed for tablet devices, with an anti-reflective and oleophobic coating. There are several manufacturers that make these to order, in addition to pre-made sizes for popular smartphones and tablets. A few common brands are Zagg InvisibleShield and Belkin ScreenForce. There are others that are very good as well, it's worth doing some research.

If it's just fingerprints that bother you, you can apply an oleophobic coating directly to the existing screen. It's a little like applying Rain-X to a windscreen. https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/How+to+Restore+or+Apply+an+Oleophobic+Coating/9682

Last edited:

Porter

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I suspect there may be some tablet screen protector products that are a nearly exact fit. Does anyone have the exact measurement of the Emira center screen in height and width?

Specs say it's a 10.25 inch display, but that's a diagonal measurement of the LCD display itself, not a measurement of the face of the glass covering the front of the unit. If we can get a really precise measurement of the glass face, and ideally a measurement of the radius of the corners, I suspect a workable match could be found among screen protection or anti-glare film products designed for handheld tablet devices.

Last edited:
OP
J

Jimblob

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I’m happy certainly experimenting.

I was wondering if anyone knew of anything that is a few mm bigger than an iPad Pro and can be cut with a blade (unlike the tempered glass ones).

The idea of an oleophobic sounds good as well.

Most of the decent ones I’ve found online are all tempered glass - like the Tesla ones and I don’t think they can be cut down.

Porter

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
If someone who has taken delivery of an Emira can take measurements, preferably with a micrometer or caliper, then I'd be happy to reach out to some of the screen protection manufacturers to try to find a size match. A bunch of these companies have tons of old stock for discontinued mobile devices hanging around in their warehouses, and if there's a good match we'd be helping them solve a problem.

Porter

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I mean hell, if we get the exact measurements I bet we could get Spigen to make a product for it that's entirely spec'd for the Emira.

This might be pretty damn close without even going down that road:

Mark.

Reaction score
This might be pretty damn close without even going down that road:

Looks perfect. Fingers crossed!

lion shf

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
The main screen can suffer from glare in a few light conditions - nothing major but something that i think can be easily citified with a matt film.

Has anyone else tried using a matt film on theirs?

I bought at iPad pro one from Amazon which is very nearly big enough to cover the screen. I say nearly, it is big enough in term of overall dimensions but where there is a small cut-back section for the iPad camera means i also have a small cut back section on edge of the screen (very hard to see in pictures).

The film I bought also makes the screen very very slightly blurry and I'm sure the one i purchased for my bikes Garmin doesn't do that. Also where i cut the film its very slightly raised the edge so the film doesn't fit flush along the bottom edge (see pic). And finally where i trimmed the corner i didn't do the best job and will try to do a better job on a more permanent film.

Anyone have any better films / suggestions? Is someone (Lotus of others) going to make a perfect one?
Love this, quality mod. This place is gonna BLOW UP when we get more cars in circulation.
Tom E get ready to cue up the classic “what did you do to your Emira today” thread

Porter

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
These folks are in Pennsylvania and will make a high quality anti-reflective film to exact spec. Their DayVue film seems to be the right match for our particular application. Terrible website, but quite a bit of good technical data on there.

JimH

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Here's another I found (UK/EU - no connection, recommendation, etc) :

Porter

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I realised that Inwas pointed to this thread here, in case any of you are interested and haven't seen it... I posted a few infos on the screen dimension on "my" ownership thread (
https://www.emiraforum.com/threads/got-my-emira-questions-anybody.2127/post-77821)

The dimensions of the glass are 27,5cm x 12,5cm
Thanks @hml_xy

FYI this translates to:

275mm / 10.8268 inches
125mm / 4.92126 inches

Reduced by 1mm all around that's roughly 10.79 x 4.88 in.

So the Spigen protector for the Hyundai Telluride is the closest in both size and dimension, but is still about 0.5 in too small in each dimension.

I think we will need to provide the exact dimensions to Spigen (if they would even see enough volume to make a product) or simply order custom from the company in Pennsylvania.

Tonygcar

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Just a thought have anyone thought of making a shroud come visor to slot over the screen it could be driver biased to give more shade and maybe made out of carbon fibre. I am sure someone could 3D scan it and get a perfect fit, I would buy one.

Joel

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Just a thought have anyone thought of making a shroud come visor to slot over the screen it could be driver biased to give more shade and maybe made out of carbon fibre. I am sure someone could 3D scan it and get a perfect fit, I would buy one.
Interesting idea, how far out of the screen do you think it would need to protrude to provide sufficient shade?

Tonygcar

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I don’t know I haven’t had my car yet, but would do a mock up with card to see if it’s viable, also would have to wait for a sunny day and we don’t have many in wales 🤔