• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Got my Emira - questions anybody?

OP
hml_xy

hml_xy

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Track sounded louder to me on my test drives and the graphic display suggests exhaust has 3 different levels in Tour, Sport and Track. Plus the higher idle and the valve opens at a lower rev point.
So I came up with this highly scientific test today to answer that question.

Just after driving the Emira and the Evora on the same piece of Autobahn (too much traffic, but it helped remind myself how much more dialed in the Evora is and I probably have to correct myself - it feels faster, more on this when I find time to sort and upload the videos).

Startup and first three revs are in Sport mode. Then switching to track mode.

Unfortunately the app I used got stuck at the interesting part and out of a sudden started behaving once I stopped the car.

To my ears they are the same volume (I also don't think you can half-open that exhaust valve or in another form control the volume). But what is actualy different: Track mode gives LESS pops and bangs. Not completely zero, but at least when reving while standing still it doesn't give crackles.

Max DB was showing 106db! Distance was about 1 meter. RPM was up to 4500 approx (the engine was warm, I may not wash my cars by hand but I don't mess with the engines! 😄)

And again some bonus content, I did the same test with the Evora GT430 Sport (valves open) 120db according to the app. 🙈😂

Last edited:

lion shf

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
There’s a guy on miatanet with a 100k 4.0 BOXSTER and he always posts car wash pics and he gets a rise out of us every time it’s tradition now

to taunt us he titled it “happy Thursday“
d1Zrsb4.jpg

Last edited:

GetawayDriving

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
So I came up with this highly scientific test today to answer that question.

Just after driving the Emira and the Evora on the same piece of Autobahn (too much traffic, but it helped remind myself how much more dialed in the Evora is and I probably have to correct myself - it feels faster, more on this when I find time to sort and upload the videos).

Startup and first three revs are in Sport mode. Then switching to track mode.

Unfortunately the app I used got stuck at the interesting part and out of a sudden started behaving once I stopped the car.

To my ears they are the same volume (I also don't think you can half-open that exhaust valve or in another form control the volume). But what is actualy different: Track mode gives LESS pops and bangs. Not completely zero, but at least when reving while standing still it doesn't give crackles.

Max DB was showing 106db! Distance was about 1 meter. RPM was up to 4500 approx (the engine was warm, I may not wash my cars by hand but I don't mess with the engines! 😄)

And again some bonus content, I did the same test with the Evora GT430 Sport (valves open) 120db according to the app. 🙈😂

LOL at the Evora noise knocking the phone over.

alvitdk

Reaction score
People are funny with that. I do have OCD when it comes to things like most people, the volume has to be on even numbers, or the middle, and never going to have temperature or volume set at 27, 29, etc.
However, my cars are always bought to be driven. Not that I love it, but my Porsche has a good amount of paint chips on the hood and front facia, making many Porsche owners cringe. I take it to the carwash and dry with towels that are provided if needed. Maybe Agate Grey does not show swirl marks, but I have not seen many in the 6 years of ownership. I rather enjoy the driving experience and deal with everything else when the time comes to sell. I certainly plan to take it to the car wash after a 300 miles trip into the Hill Country twisties, but that's just me.

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Hey @hml_xy do you own a fairly accurate caliper or ruler of some kind?

I'm trying to get the exact measurements of the height and width of the glass in the center screen unit in the Emira. Not the outer dimension or the LCD display, but the size of the glass face itself. A group of us on another thread are trying to figure out what anti-glare screen protector products might work, or try to work with a manufacturer for an exact-fit.

OP
hml_xy

hml_xy

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
@Porter I'll check that out next week when I'm back near my car...

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Oops, I forgot you were on vacation! You mentioned that above. Enjoy your time.

OP
hml_xy

hml_xy

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Absolutely no worries. This here is my hobby, it's not as if I'm checking work emails ✌️😅

DV Premier

Reaction score
I know many of you are eagerly waiting for news and maybe I can give a little bit back to this community of likeminded enthusiasts after all the months it has kept the waiting somewhat entertaining. 😅

While I have already posted some impressions on my introduction thread, maybe I can provide pictures or infos about the car that many of you have been waiting for.

Stuff I didn't hear about before spending the first day with the car:

* There are driver profiles in the entertainment system and you can lock them with a PIN code. They seem to remember car settings like mirror positions, infotainment screen setup and so on.

* The scorpion tracker seems to have a proximity alarm when the car is locked (at least something beeped when I leaned close to the locked car).

* The cupholders have ambient light in them. 🧐

* The engine / supercharger is more noticeable on the "RHD" driver seat (my passenger seat). One might say the car sounds better on the right side 😅

* The boot lid makes a squeaking noise when opening(?!) from some plastic flexing inside the engine bay.

* You can mute the audio by swiping down on the steering wheel audio controls and unmute by swiping up.

* Lotus has no official run-in period / after sales service anymore. First service in one year or 16000km.

* The sport suspension is 1cm lower than the tour setup, even though Lotus stated the drive height is the same. It definitely is not!

If you want to know any more details - let me know 🙂
The Lotus guy in Harry’s Garage first Emira pick up YouTube said to keep below 4K for the first 1000 miles? 🤔

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
The Lotus guy in Harry’s Garage first Emira pick up YouTube said to keep below 4K for the first 1000 miles? 🤔
I’ve moved the posts about running in procedures to here so they are easier for others to find:

OP
hml_xy

hml_xy

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Found the time to upload another "enjoying the Emira" Clip. Filmed on the day I did the exhaust mode comparison.

I still haven't got my hands on another GoPro mount that allows more flexible positions. So the point of view is again a bit silly. Adding to that is my dive housing that muffles the sound. Can't say that there isn't a bit of wind noise from 200km/h onwards...

The speed on the video comes from the GoPro GPS, the car said I was going 250km/h at the peak, GoPro showed 242km/h. I think thats a pretty normal tolerance.

The Emira is really easy to control at that speed and confidence inspiring, there was just a bit too much going on traffic wise.

Lots_Of_Trouble

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I've got a question,can't seem to find the answer anywhere:
Alexa-has any other owner managed to get Alexa in the infotainment system?
I can't find it,via android auto.

I have amazon music,but even on there no ability to ask alexa.
I can ask the Google/ microphone, but it won't play my amazon music,it tells me to download youtube...

Ironically,the dashcam I have installed has alexa,I think I can play music through my car speakers through that,not sure how it's all linked,bit of a ballache.

Just wondered if there was alexa built in?
My daughter (Senna)...yes thats spelt right,managed to find games on it though...

Attachments

• 20230120_200344.jpg
    20230120_200344.jpg
    254.8 KB · Views: 66

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
I've got a question,can't seem to find the answer anywhere:
Alexa-has any other owner managed to get Alexa in the infotainment system?
I can't find it,via android auto.

I have amazon music,but even on there no ability to ask alexa.
I can ask the Google/ microphone, but it won't play my amazon music,it tells me to download youtube...

Ironically,the dashcam I have installed has alexa,I think I can play music through my car speakers through that,not sure how it's all linked,bit of a ballache.

Just wondered if there was alexa built in?
My daughter (Senna)...yes thats spelt right,managed to find games on it though...

Sounds like you need to change your default music service. You can do this either from the Android Auto app on your phone (scroll down to Google Assistant > Music) or you can access your Google Assistant directly by activating the mic on your phone (usually by holding the center menu button down for a second) or Google Home device and say something like "Change my default music provider." That should open a screen that allows you to choose Amazon Music instead of YouTube Music.

Lots_Of_Trouble

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Sounds like you need to change your default music service. You can do this either from the Android Auto app on your phone (scroll down to Google Assistant > Music) or you can access your Google Assistant directly by activating the mic on your phone (usually by holding the center menu button down for a second) or Google Home device and say something like "Change my default music provider." That should open a screen that allows you to choose Amazon Music instead of YouTube Music.
Legend,thank you

OP
hml_xy

hml_xy

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
@Porter

It took a bit longer than I hoped but here you go, I had to think about how to document the size of the screen in the best way and came up with this method. This was my first attempt, which did not work well:
31A7BFC6-5E7F-4775-9651-3961247A331E.jpeg

After a bit of practise I ended up with this:
921D9C30-C53E-4FC5-9110-DAE599F560B3.jpeg

And here are the measurements.
C063CDBE-0AA1-437B-BCE9-BD85E52B5D65.jpeg

B3816C8B-3B05-4682-8A45-0B033F44B49E.jpeg

10A928F9-392B-4280-B9AD-79B3DE97FCF5.jpeg

22BE571A-E447-41C1-A08B-72A32894A1CC.jpeg

And below is also a 300dpi scan of the A4 paper I used for that experiment in case it might be helpfull.

The dimensions of the inner boarders of the screen are 27,5cm x 12,5cm.
My 2 cents: If I would produce a protective film for it, I might reduce it by 1mm on each side.

Attachments

• F90664FC-C85D-4E82-AAF8-BDD5557BFC8F.jpeg
    F90664FC-C85D-4E82-AAF8-BDD5557BFC8F.jpeg
    126.6 KB · Views: 12
  • emira-screen-pencil-scan.pdf
    48.3 KB · Views: 22

JimH

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
A quick search (I remembered seeing some time ago) reveals this website (UK/EU) that will make to measure, various films or tempered glass, matt or gloss - no idea if they're any good and nothing to do with me etc. but they don't seem that expensive......

Last edited: