Running in procedure

Emira

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Do we know what the running in procedure will be for the Emira? I assume similar to that of an Evora or Exige?

This might open up a can of worms regarding whether running in is even necessary on modern engines! :ROFLMAO:

jmn444

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Gotta assume it's same as the previous cars were w/ the same engine. And there's definitely debate about how much is really required, but IMO on a performance vehicle especially, it's not just the engine, but the diff gears, brakes, clutch, transmission, etc that ALL benefit from being heat cycled and broken in a bit before pushing the car full tilt.

I also think too many people may take this to the extreme and not run the engine thru the range of rpm that will seat the rings correctly though...

I don't recall the procedure my buddy went thru with his evora gt to be very restrictive, so IMO just follow what the manual suggests, and don't spend too much time at the same rpm/speed during the process.

I think it was around 1k miles for 1st oil change but not sure, and i recall the dealer running a scan to ensure it wasn't abused or any issues

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
This was posted before, but buried on another thread so pasting it here.

For the V6 it should be the same as the V6 Evora so 1,000 miles to the first inspection and oil change, with the first 600 miles below 4,000rpm. This from the Evora handbook:

Running-In

Although the Evora powertrain is built to close tolerances using modern technology, the progressive and sympathetic running-in (or bedding-in) of a new engine and transmission, remains a valuable contributor to achieving the highest levels of efficiency, durability, smooth operation and economic performance. By following the simple guidelines described below, a solid foundation will be built for the car's lifetime career.

NOTICE

Failure to comply with the following running-in provisions could invalidate the terms of the New Vehicle Warranty:

Engine: It is important during the car's early life, not to overload the engine, and to control the amount of engine heat generated. This is dependent primarily on throttle opening (accelerator position) and engine speed. However, being too sympathetic on the car will not allow the piston rings to bed in satisfactorily, so a balance of spirited and gentle use is required. For the first 600 miles (1,000 km), use no more than moderate throttle openings (about half of the available accelerator pedal travel) and do not run the engine continuously at engine speeds over 4,000 rpm. Occasional short bursts at wider throttle and higher engine speed will be beneficial, as will a constantly changing cruising speed and making full use of the gearbox. Do not allow the engine to labour in too high a gear ratio; change down and let the engine operate in its natural power band.

After 600 miles (1,000 km) have been covered, full throttle and/or maximum engine speed may be used for short periods, but do not attempt to exploit full vehicle performance until after the first 'After Sales' service has been carried out.

Transmission: Driving pleasure will be enhanced when using a light touch to guide the gear lever, allowing the tactile senses to convey gear selection messages from the internal mechanism. Forcing the change will cause unnecessary wear on system components and impair subsequent gearchange quality.

Brakes: Allow the brakes to bed-in by avoiding needless heavy braking for the first 100 miles (160 km). Thereafter, the first time the brakes are used aggressively, some loss of brake feel may be evident as the brake pads undergo a final conditioning phase. After the brakes have cooled, full brake performance will be restored. Both the brake pedal and gearchange efforts are likely to reduce during the running-in period.

Tyres: New tyres also require a short 'running-in' period before providing optimum grip.

Note that various operating parameters are continuously monitored and recorded in the engine electronic controller. This data may be downloaded by Lotus dealers on demand in order to assist with fault diagnosis and identify any vehicle misuse.

Stopping the Engine

After running the engine at high speed or under heavy load and generating substantial engine heat, if possible before switching off the engine, drive for a short period in a gentler manner, or allow the engine to idle for a few minutes in order for normal temperatures to be resumed. This consideration will reduce the effects of heat soak, and benefit the long term durability of the powertrain.

Most of all have fun with your new car.

And with thanks to @JumboJet, this is from Mercedes A series handbook, so relevant for the AMG i4:
Running-in notes
To preserve the engine during the first 1,500 km:
R Drive at varying road speeds and engine speeds.
R Do not drive at speeds greater than 140 km/h.
R Drive the vehicle in drive program A or ;.
R Shift to the next highest gear at the very lat‐ est when the needle reaches the last third before the red area in the rev counter.
R Donotshiftdownmanuallyinordertobrake.
R Avoidoverstrainingthevehicle,e.g.drivingat full throttle.
R Vehicleswithautomatictransmission:do not depress the accelerator pedal beyond the pressure point (kickdown).
R Only increase the engine speed gradually and accelerate the vehicle to full speed after 1,500 km.
This also applies when the engine or parts of the drivetrain have been replaced.
Please also observe the following running-in notes:
R In certain driving and driving safety systems, the sensors adjust automatically while a cer‐ tain distance is being driven after the vehicle has been delivered or after repairs. Full sys‐ tem effectiveness is not reached until the end of this teach-in process.
R Brakepads, brake disks and tyres that are either new or have been replaced only ach‐ ieve optimum braking effect and grip after several hundred kilometres of driving. Com‐ pensate for the reduced braking effect by applying greater force to the brake pedal.

scoates

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
With my last couple of cars I ran them in by generally being gentle with the throttle but every so often when fully warmed up doing the odd burst of acceleration, wider throttle and right up the rev range through a few gears before calming it down again. I was advised to "drive the car like it's going to be driven" for similar reasons to the post above from TomE, and I will likely do the same with the Emira, no issues with the other cars so far!

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
This was posted before, but buried on another thread so pasting it here.

For the V6 it should be the same as the V6 Evora so 1,000 miles to the first inspection and oil change, with the first 600 miles below 4,000rpm. This from the Evora handbook:

Running-In

Although the Evora powertrain is built to close tolerances using modern technology, the progressive and sympathetic running-in (or bedding-in) of a new engine and transmission, remains a valuable contributor to achieving the highest levels of efficiency, durability, smooth operation and economic performance. By following the simple guidelines described below, a solid foundation will be built for the car's lifetime career.

NOTICE

Failure to comply with the following running-in provisions could invalidate the terms of the New Vehicle Warranty:

Engine: It is important during the car's early life, not to overload the engine, and to control the amount of engine heat generated. This is dependent primarily on throttle opening (accelerator position) and engine speed. However, being too sympathetic on the car will not allow the piston rings to bed in satisfactorily, so a balance of spirited and gentle use is required. For the first 600 miles (1,000 km), use no more than moderate throttle openings (about half of the available accelerator pedal travel) and do not run the engine continuously at engine speeds over 4,000 rpm. Occasional short bursts at wider throttle and higher engine speed will be beneficial, as will a constantly changing cruising speed and making full use of the gearbox. Do not allow the engine to labour in too high a gear ratio; change down and let the engine operate in its natural power band.

After 600 miles (1,000 km) have been covered, full throttle and/or maximum engine speed may be used for short periods, but do not attempt to exploit full vehicle performance until after the first 'After Sales' service has been carried out.

Transmission: Driving pleasure will be enhanced when using a light touch to guide the gear lever, allowing the tactile senses to convey gear selection messages from the internal mechanism. Forcing the change will cause unnecessary wear on system components and impair subsequent gearchange quality.

Brakes: Allow the brakes to bed-in by avoiding needless heavy braking for the first 100 miles (160 km). Thereafter, the first time the brakes are used aggressively, some loss of brake feel may be evident as the brake pads undergo a final conditioning phase. After the brakes have cooled, full brake performance will be restored. Both the brake pedal and gearchange efforts are likely to reduce during the running-in period.

Tyres: New tyres also require a short 'running-in' period before providing optimum grip.

Note that various operating parameters are continuously monitored and recorded in the engine electronic controller. This data may be downloaded by Lotus dealers on demand in order to assist with fault diagnosis and identify any vehicle misuse.

Stopping the Engine

After running the engine at high speed or under heavy load and generating substantial engine heat, if possible before switching off the engine, drive for a short period in a gentler manner, or allow the engine to idle for a few minutes in order for normal temperatures to be resumed. This consideration will reduce the effects of heat soak, and benefit the long term durability of the powertrain.

Most of all have fun with your new car.

And with thanks to @JumboJet, this is from Mercedes A series handbook, so relevant for the AMG i4:
Running-in notes
To preserve the engine during the first 1,500 km:
R Drive at varying road speeds and engine speeds.
R Do not drive at speeds greater than 140 km/h.
R Drive the vehicle in drive program A or ;.
R Shift to the next highest gear at the very lat‐ est when the needle reaches the last third before the red area in the rev counter.
R Donotshiftdownmanuallyinordertobrake.
R Avoidoverstrainingthevehicle,e.g.drivingat full throttle.
R Vehicleswithautomatictransmission:do not depress the accelerator pedal beyond the pressure point (kickdown).
R Only increase the engine speed gradually and accelerate the vehicle to full speed after 1,500 km.
This also applies when the engine or parts of the drivetrain have been replaced.
Please also observe the following running-in notes:
R In certain driving and driving safety systems, the sensors adjust automatically while a cer‐ tain distance is being driven after the vehicle has been delivered or after repairs. Full sys‐ tem effectiveness is not reached until the end of this teach-in process.
R Brakepads, brake disks and tyres that are either new or have been replaced only ach‐ ieve optimum braking effect and grip after several hundred kilometres of driving. Com‐ pensate for the reduced braking effect by applying greater force to the brake pedal.
Apologies if I have missed it but has there been any mention of Service packs? Is this something Lotus of old offered?

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Apologies if I have missed it but has there been any mention of Service packs? Is this something Lotus of old offered?
I've not heard of anything yet. There was a fixed price service schedule UK-wide for the earlier cars, so I expect something similar for Emira.

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
"Don't keep it at the same speed/RPM for long during the first 600 miles." My closest dealer is 2.5 hours away from me... Guess the majority of US buyers need to flat bed it home when picking up new, and then back again for the 1k service, or risk voiding the warranty. 😂🙄

Racer X

Emira Fan
Reaction score
"Don't keep it at the same speed/RPM for long during the first 600 miles." My closest dealer is 2.5 hours away from me... Guess the majority of US buyers need to flat bed it home when picking up new, and then back again for the 1k service, or risk voiding the warranty. 😂🙄
I’d be close to driving it home, then immediately turning around and driving it back!

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I’d be close to driving it home, then immediately turning around and driving it back!
Same here lol. Hopefully by the time we get our cars here in the U.S., Lotus will have added those 10 additional dealerships they said they were going to add, and one of them will be closer to me than 500 miles away.

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
Same here lol. Hopefully by the time we get our cars here in the U.S., Lotus will have added those 10 additional dealerships they said they were going to add, and one of them will be closer to me than 500 miles away.

Not holding my breathe for that one!

FastMagnificentBinturong-size_restricted.gif

3MIRA

Emira Fan
Reaction score
My pal at Lotus made a lot of emphasis that the gear box of V6 needs delicate slow shifts whilst running in to ensure optimum performance down the line.

DaveR

Reaction score
So before leaving the factory, each car gets flogged around the Hethel test track... but we're supposed to adhere to a break-in procedure? 😅
So if you're lucky enough to pick it up from Hethel, and they let you out on the track, what you going to do??

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
My pal at Lotus made a lot of emphasis that the gear box of V6 needs delicate slow shifts whilst running in to ensure optimum performance down the line.
This is generally true for a new car, to allow for moving contacting surfaces to gradually seat themselves against each other without undue stress.

Something else I like to do with a new car is get the trans and diff fluid changed after the first 500 miles or so. I do this to get rid of any fine metal particles that might have worn off while it was breaking in. I've had people laugh and mock me for doing this, but the few who have done it are always shocked at the appearance and smell of the fluid when they do. Considering you're protecting an expensive car (especially if you plan to keep it), it's worth the money to change out the break-in fluids and oil. You only have to do it once.

mjw930

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Not sure how they will accomplish adding 10 dealers when they have nothing for them to sell for well over a year.

Consider this, a new dealer pops up tomorrow and mysteriously Lotus frees up allocation for them. Someone walks in and plops down a deposit on March 19th and jumps to the front of the queue ahead of the 2000+ people who have had money down for months.

I’m just not understanding how Lotus expects to get any new dealers up and running before they have production of this and the new SUV up and running.

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
Not sure how they will accomplish adding 10 dealers when they have nothing for them to sell for well over a year.

Consider this, a new dealer pops up tomorrow and mysteriously Lotus frees up allocation for them. Someone walks in and plops down a deposit on March 19th and jumps to the front of the queue ahead of the 2000+ people who have had money down for months.

I’m just not understanding how Lotus expects to get any new dealers up and running before they have production of this and the new SUV up and running.

They don't expect to have new US dealers anytime soon. Most of these "new dealers" are just new dedicated showrooms for Lotus that were previously sharing showrooms with another brand under the dealer's umbrella. For example.. Lotus of North Jersey is part of Aston Martin Summit. A few months ago they opened a dedicated Lotus showroom a half mile down from where they previously were at Aston. Boom.. "new dealership" added.

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner

Yeah it may be a sales/showroom similar to some Tesla locations, but hopefully they'll also be service locations. They could have a model for demo, be able to take orders, and also provide warranty maintenance and service. They'll also of course be focused on the upcoming Lotus electric lineup.

mjw930

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Yeah it may be a sales/showroom similar to some Tesla locations, but hopefully they'll also be service locations. They could have a model for demo, be able to take orders, and also provide warranty maintenance and service. They'll also of course be focused on the upcoming Lotus electric lineup.
You can’t assume the Tesla model with a company that already has franchised dealers in the US. Lotus would have to revamp their entire US legal entity much like they did in the UK to adopt anything approaching the Tesla model. And they will find that many states would bar them from doing business, just like they have done to Tesla.

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
You can’t assume the Tesla model with a company that already has franchised dealers in the US. Lotus would have to revamp their entire US legal entity much like they did in the UK to adopt anything approaching the Tesla model. And they will find that many states would bar them from doing business, just like they have done to Tesla.
I think that depends on the state. Where I live Tesla just recently put in a combo sales/service location with no issues. Before that they had service vans running around going to the customers. I would be okay with either solution for Lotus.

mjw930

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I think that depends on the state. Where I live Tesla just recently put in a combo sales/service location with no issues. Before that they had service vans running around going to the customers. I would be okay with either solution for Lotus.
Yes, it is entirely state dependent. One thing to remember, servicing an EV is a completely different animal than an ICE vehicle. There are a lot of things the mobile service cannot do with Tesla. You have to bring it into one of their centers for any major work / issues. I imagine that list would get even longer with an ICE vehicle.

Don’t get me wrong, I feel for those who live hundreds of miles from a dealer. I’m lucky to have one 60 miles West or 80 miles North and I do all my own maintenance so I’ll only need them for warranty repairs.

Avoiding one 24 month service on my Porsche’s paid for this setup.

4688C5AB-746F-41B7-B880-BF4E315B2162.jpeg