• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Are any i4 owners considering an oil change after running in?

Andy H

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I saw quite a few V6 owners have or plan to get the oil changed at ~1,000 miles. It's not an official service and they didn't mention it at collection. Given the AMG 2.0 is quite an exotic engine, is anyone considering it for peace of mind? It would be outside the 3 year service plan and judging by the servicing costs I'm guessing it wouldn't be cheap to have it done by Lotus!

Medic518

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I am planning on a 500mi change. Following advice from a lubricant expert formerly of Gibbs Racing. He suggests a change on a new car after a few hundred miles, but anything less than 500 sounded to overly cautious. Have a friend with several lifts, so I'm just going to ask to borrow some lift time and do the change myself..

OP
Andy H

Andy H

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
It's definitely a more attractive option if you can make use of some lifts. I suspect the oil drain is under the aluminium panels so there's also that work to consider too.

Medic518

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
It's definitely a more attractive option if you can make use of some lifts. I suspect the oil drain is under the aluminium panels so there's also that work to consider too.
Agreed, I am assuming that there will be similar access to the drain and plug as with the V6. However, I have not seen a view of the i4 with the panels removed. I have been trying to get a feel for the location by looking at A45 photos/videos - not sure it will help, but you never know..

Neil D.

Reaction score
Hi, currently waiting for a 4 cyl car. I agree on an early oil change, but how do you drain the oil cooling radiator ? or is it simply a case of gravity ?
Thank you
Neil

lynchy73

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I did an oil change at 1800km. Oil was pretty black looking, so I’m happy I had it done.

Attachments

• d20fc716e1ba7a9a7ba307c50e31cf6c.jpeg
    d20fc716e1ba7a9a7ba307c50e31cf6c.jpeg
    233.6 KB · Views: 47
  • 14af5755884ef78ec9f20d8de1da1e0f.jpeg
    14af5755884ef78ec9f20d8de1da1e0f.jpeg
    172.9 KB · Views: 47

Blackthought_

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Why not spend a few hundred bucks for piece of mind? These are expensive cars and you the more you can do to keep the engine fresh you should do

lynchy73

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Any reference shots for the the filter location? drain plug seems easy enough..
Sorry, that’s all the photos I was forwarded. I don’t think there is too much work involved.

OP
Andy H

Andy H

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I don't fancy my chances doing this on the drive or taking it to my local garage as they'll never have seen an Emira before for sure! I have a way to go to reach 1,000 miles so I'll give the Lotus dealer a ring to see how much they want for it. Maybe there's a deal to be done if I can at least supply my own oil.

Superman

Emira Owner!!
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I am absolutely planning a first oil change at around 1,000 miles. Whilst I could do it myself at home, time is too precious, so will prob take it to dealer to do, assuming they don't quote a ridiculous price.

OP
Andy H

Andy H

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
FYI for people thinking of getting Lotus to do the oil change - I just got quoted by Bell and Colvill in Surrey: £430.

Not the cheapest but comparable with BMW M and Audi RS prices. The 6L of oil only made up £74 which looks to be a good price so no value in providing your own.

I plan to get mine booked in for peace of mind.

JimH

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
FYI for people thinking of getting Lotus to do the oil change - I just got quoted by Bell and Colvill in Surrey: £430.

Not the cheapest but comparable with BMW M and Audi RS prices. The 6L of oil only made up £74 which looks to be a good price so no value in providing your own.

I plan to get mine booked in for peace of mind.
That’s the standard/fixed UK 1st service price for a V6…..

OP
Andy H

Andy H

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
That’s the standard/fixed UK 1st service price for a V6
I guess that makes sense assuming that the 1st service on the V6 just consists of an oil & filter change. Perhaps even good value given the i4 servicing prices quoted on here seem to be significantly higher than the V6.

JimH

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I guess that makes sense assuming that the 1st service on the V6 just consists of an oil & filter change. Perhaps even good value given the i4 servicing prices quoted on here seem to be significantly higher than the V6.
And all firmware updates, SatNav map update, and any rectifications/recalls outstanding (e.g. HVAC water shielding) - mines booked in for 1st annual service in July…..