DIY - Oil Change Reference for 2GR-FE

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Anyone know if Driven DT40 can be use for our car?
It's a different viscosity than the recommendation. What is it about the Driven oil that interests you? Just curious.

Also, if you're looking at those sort of alternatives, why not also include MPT Industries 30K? It's similar to Amsoil, high TBN.

Porter

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
FYI I updated the links/recommendations post at the top of page 2 with a link to the Purolator Boss filter. It's the same construction as the Wix XP but with a bit more filter media.

Lsp408

Reaction score
It's a different viscosity than the recommendation. What is it about the Driven oil that interests you? Just curious.

Also, if you're looking at those sort of alternatives, why not also include MPT Industries 30K? It's similar to Amsoil, high TBN.
So my previous car using Driven DT40 and I traded for the Emira. I have 2 case of DT40 left. Figure if I can use it, might as well.

Porter

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
So my previous car using Driven DT40 and I traded for the Emira. I have 2 case of DT40 left. Figure if I can use it, might as well.
Gotcha. I think you should use your own judgement on it. The 2GR-FE has had specifications from Toyota for both 5W-30 and 0W-20 oil at different points in time, with different generations of the engine.

Lotus specifies a heavier/broader viscosity modern oil in a 0W-40 for this particular variant of the 2GR-FE with Edelbrock SC, but that isn't to say that another oil weight wouldn't work ok in your particular climate. If you only drive the car in warmer weather the oil you have (5W-40 synthetic) is probably fine. But make your own call.

Lsp408

Reaction score
Gotcha. I think you should use your own judgement on it. The 2GR-FE has had specifications from Toyota for both 5W-30 and 0W-20 oil at different points in time, with different generations of the engine.

Lotus specifies a heavier/broader viscosity modern oil in a 0W-40 for this particular variant of the 2GR-FE with Edelbrock SC, but that isn't to say that another oil weight wouldn't work ok in your particular climate. If you only drive the car in warmer weather the oil you have (5W-40 synthetic) is probably fine. But make your own call.
Appreciate the reply. Using DT40 chances are ok but you just never know. All the spec requirement etc, it’s so confusing. I guess I’ll just stick with what everyone here uses.

Porter

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Appreciate the reply. Using DT40 chances are ok but you just never know. All the spec requirement etc, it’s so confusing. I guess I’ll just stick with what everyone here uses.
I mean, I would personally use it. But not below, say, 40° outside. Cold starts are rough on engines.

Aero

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Didn't know if there was a maintenance thread already. Just now looked at the tiny service booklet that came in the glovebox. Really lacking the service schedule info anywhere in print.
Went looking for relevant info. Dont know if everyone already knew this:
Nothing too surprising except changing the engine coolant every 4 years. Porsche doesnt even suggest that short interval. Not simple to do since its a vacuum type replacement. I realize that after 3 years the warranty is gone anyway.
Has anyone been told these services HAVE to be done at the dealer to maintain the warranty? Other makes you just have to document that you did the work on schedule.
Also see post #8. for the Evora schedule.

Last edited:

Porter

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Didn't know if there was a maintenance thread already. Just now looked at the tiny service booklet that came in the glovebox. Really lacking the service schedule info anywhere in print.
Went looking for relevant info. Dont know if everyone already knew this:
Nothing too surprising except changing the engine coolant every 4 years. Porsche doesnt even suggest that short interval. Not simple to do since its a vacuum type replacement. I realize that after 3 years the warranty is gone anyway.
Has anyone been told these services HAVE to be done at the dealer to maintain the warranty? Other makes you just have to document that you did the work on schedule.
Also see post #8. for the Evora schedule.
Those are maximums. I would actually do the coolant every two years.