Seat panel detaching, anybody else having this issue?

Glad this thread popped up today. Mine went last week whilst doing a 4900 mile road trip. It's time for a service anyway so I'll get it sorted asap.
 
Had this issue recently on drvr side, the bottom is still attached so the top part is just gapped a bit. Anyone who's gotten theirs fixed are they just replacing the panel or has Lotus come up with a proper redesign? I'll just leave mine as is (unless gets worse) or until a TSB/recall comes.
 
Mine too… dealer is saying it’s not under warranty for some silly reason. Clearly a design flaw. What’s the part number for this so I can order it and fix it myself? Thanks for the help sourcing it!
 
Dealer just called and quoted around 15,000 JPY (includes tax) for the replacement panel. Close enough to the 60 quid previously mentioned in this thread. No in-country stock, so need to import it from the UK. Once replaced, I can play with the broken panel to see if it can be repaired / reinforced.

@JaviLM you should let your dealer know before hand so they can order the part.
 
Happened to me on drivers side seat. Dealer said $60 to replace, but just had service and was not charged.
 
1757515393557.webp
<it wl fail again. Best to modify and reinforce
 
Dealer just called and quoted around 15,000 JPY (includes tax) for the replacement panel. Close enough to the 60 quid previously mentioned in this thread. No in-country stock, so need to import it from the UK. Once replaced, I can play with the broken panel to see if it can be repaired / reinforced.

@JaviLM you should let your dealer know before hand so they can order the part.
Thanks! I'll talk to them and see what we can do. I'll talk to Lotus Yokohama first (the new dealer in Minato Mirai, not the one where I bought the car originally) and see if they can replace it for free under warranty.
 
This just happened to my LH drive, passenger side. Can someone just post a link to where we can buy a replacement part online without having to deal with the dealership?

I'm not a carbon fiber fan but someone needs to carbon fiber this side seat trim piece ASAP. I also vote for a 3d printed STL for this if anyone is that good. I'll print them and ship them if someone can get me the STL.
 
My dealer noticed this in my car when it went in for a service.

Reason is happens is if you put weight on that part, say sitting above it as you go to get out, you break a clip. I had noticed a few times a noise when I went to get out of the car, but then sat back down on top of the edge of the drivers seat. I had assumed it was the stripping I had placed there to protect the part from rubbing against the leather. Yes, the part needs a redesign to stop the plastic clip from breaking.
 
Mine broke too. The new part is £50 but takes months to arrive. I also had trim on it to protect the seat so the panel was not covered under warranty - I couldn't be bothered to argue for £50. I will be saving the old seat edge piece as I reckon I can replace the broken clip with a thick zip tie and some epoxy glue.
 
Last edited:
Mine broke too. The new part is £50 but takes months to arrive. I also had trim on it to protect the seat so the panel was not covered under warranty - I couldn't be bothered to argue for £50. I will be saving the old trim piece as I reckon I can replace the broken clip with a thick zip tie and some araldite glue.
I was told the part was $50 CDN, and I got the feeling mine was under warranty, but I could be wrong, as they have to order it.
 
I think why it is happening is as you get out of the car, if you don't get right up for your driving position, your butt and weight are on top of that plastic part, and it breaks. Lotus will have to come up with a more robust cover because this will eventually happen on most cars. Unless you make sure not to put any body weight getting in or out around the side of the driver's seat.
 
I think why it is happening is as you get out of the car, if you don't get right up for your driving position, your butt and weight are on top of that plastic part, and it breaks. Lotus will have to come up with a more robust cover because this will eventually happen on most cars. Unless you make sure not to put any body weight getting in or out around the side of the driver's seat.
I can confirm you are right re one's arse putting weight on the lower seat side bolster, which in turn puts pressure on the plastic panel. Where I used to work we drove a lot of BMW X5s and Volvo XC90s and it used to happen ALL THE TIME to them. Mainly the Volvo's TBH. Caused exactly how you said. Just have to be mindful of where and how one puts ones arse!! 🤣🤣
 
Anyone figure a way to fix this without ordering a new part (which will just break again)?
 

Attachments

  • IMG_9401.webp
    IMG_9401.webp
    287.2 KB · Views: 35
Mine was doing this but when I told my Lotus garage (Bell and Colville) about it they fixed it somehow, sadly I don't know what they did (so a useless post I here you say!).
But, they did tell me that as Id added a rubber strip to stop the side panel cutting through the leather, that may effect warranty work in that area!
 
But, they did tell me that as Id added a rubber strip to stop the side panel cutting through the leather, that may effect warranty work in that area!
Indeed it does. It you have a rubber strip here to protect the leather and want the panel replaced under warranty - remove the strip before the dealer visit.
 

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Supporting Vendors View all →
Back
Top