• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Auto ‘box conundrum

GarrethN

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I’ve run into a bit of a dilemma folks. After countless thoughts and configurations, I know I’ll be having either the V6 auto or I4 with DCT.

Everyone says just how awesome the DCT will be but theres a V6 with 50 HP more, so for those existing lucky owners with a recent Evora auto, has it advanced beyond the portrayed negative image, or is it really a great box after all? Also, has anyone heard if there will be any further advancements for the Emira to bring it closer to a DCT?

Any views are welcome, good or bad, as it’s the last decision I need to make before the phone call……….

Mike-engel

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I’ve run into a bit of a dilemma folks. After countless thoughts and configurations, I know I’ll be having either the V6 auto or I4 with DCT.

Everyone says just how awesome the DCT will be but theres a V6 with 50 HP more, so for those existing lucky owners with a recent Evora auto, has it advanced beyond the portrayed negative image, or is it really a great box after all? Also, has anyone heard if there will be any further advancements for the Emira to bring it closer to a DCT?

Any views are welcome, good or bad, as it’s the last decision I need to make before the phone call……….
I have heard this same conundrum expressed by many others and I think the answer is going to turn out to be a personal one for each of us. The crux of the matter is that you wish for a car that does not require you to depress a clutch. This means either DCT, for which you take a horse power hit that is partially but not completely compensated by reduced weight or an automatic that comes with more horsepower and a heavier car. Then there are the satellite considerations, also with trade offs. The V6 is old tech mated to old tech and with relatively lower gas mileage but has a great track record for reliability, Toyota serviceability and a great exhaust note. The most recent iteration of the automatic transmission is dramatically improved compared to the early IPS but it’s shift speeds can’t match the DCT. But this is likely to be an issue only for those tracking the car. For day to day driving the automatic transmission is more than adequate. Would the DCT be faster…yes. But does it really matter for street work….probably not. The same kinds of arguments can be made about the power issue. For those street driving, will you probably won’t notice the difference between 360 and 400. Reliability is likely to be comparable. Serviceability also is likely to be comparable too, but perhaps more expensive. So you can see that what you choose is grounded in what you value. I will never track the car so I don’t need the speed shifts of the DCT. But I also don’t need the extra power. I like the exhaust note of the V6 and the automatic would be just fine to me from a performance standpoint, plus I can get the car sooner. But am I willing to pay for he extra money while accepting the old tech? Right now I’m leaning toward I4/DCT, also influenced by availability of certain colors if I wait, but that could all change tomorrow. See…clear as mud. Haha. Whatever choice you make it will be great.

klho001

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Nicely articulated @Mike-engel . Funny thing is I kind knew inside everything you wrote, but still nice to still see it in black and white :LOL: . My choice is made simpler that cars in SG are obscenely exp, plus its mega city driving hence -> I4.

Bradw

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I have heard this same conundrum expressed by many others and I think the answer is going to turn out to be a personal one for each of us. The crux of the matter is that you wish for a car that does not require you to depress a clutch. This means either DCT, for which you take a horse power hit that is partially but not completely compensated by reduced weight or an automatic that comes with more horsepower and a heavier car. Then there are the satellite considerations, also with trade offs. The V6 is old tech mated to old tech and with relatively lower gas mileage but has a great track record for reliability, Toyota serviceability and a great exhaust note. The most recent iteration of the automatic transmission is dramatically improved compared to the early IPS but it’s shift speeds can’t match the DCT. But this is likely to be an issue only for those tracking the car. For day to day driving the automatic transmission is more than adequate. Would the DCT be faster…yes. But does it really matter for street work….probably not. The same kinds of arguments can be made about the power issue. For those street driving, will you probably won’t notice the difference between 360 and 400. Reliability is likely to be comparable. Serviceability also is likely to be comparable too, but perhaps more expensive. So you can see that what you choose is grounded in what you value. I will never track the car so I don’t need the speed shifts of the DCT. But I also don’t need the extra power. I like the exhaust note of the V6 and the automatic would be just fine to me from a performance standpoint, plus I can get the car sooner. But am I willing to pay for he extra money while accepting the old tech? Right now I’m leaning toward I4/DCT, also influenced by availability of certain colors if I wait, but that could all change tomorrow. See…clear as mud. Haha. Whatever choice you make it will be great.
Thanks for this. I am also in a predicament but I think now I'm going for V6 AUTO. I found out yesterday that the AMG should be the same price as V6!

OP
GarrethN

GarrethN

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Thanks for an expertly worded reply Mike, and it all makes perfect sense. And I still can’t make my mind up !! 🤦‍♂️

richbrown

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score

I know exactly what you mean. Everyday driving and manuals don’t work and I’ve had DCT in various guises for the last decade. Fine if you want a weekend / track car and my civic type r ep3 manual was amazing but not for long journeys or where there’s stop start driving. I’ve read enough to suggest the IPS is not the slush box of old and is faster to 60 than manual and changes effectively and intuitively in sport and track modes. Shame it’s an extra £1800 but manual for an everyday car is wishful thinking !