Manual Or Auto Box

Rya

Reaction score
What is the auto boo like in the evora ??? I've only ever driven manual lotus. I'm thinking about going for the auto ??? I had aston martin vantage and the change seemed so slow is the lotus any better than this ???

I have just driven the Evora Auto and for me it is no good too slow and jerky, the other thing you cannot do in the evora and i am told it s the same in the Emira is that when you use the paddles it goes into manual mode but after about 30 seconds it goes back into Auto, i am therefore going to go for the manual, it is not a daily for me and as such easier to live with the manual. This is just my view but my other cars have DCT gearbox which is instant change up or down and i feel this will be annoying to live with for me.

Bell and Covill have an Evora in Auto which is the one i test drove.

@Andy was that a series 1 Evora, or 400+ onwards ? Can’t see the car on B&C site . If it’s the former then yes the S1 auto was much slower and not something I could live with.

Re reverting from manual mode to “drive”, like many autos it will do this if in “drive” mode. If in “sports” mode it will stay in manual from memory. Let’s put it this way I drove 9k miles in manual mode only so never had this problem.

Shifts in the latest iteration of the automatic transmission of Evora are reported to be outstanding. Very responsive and faster than can be achieved in any manual box. As fast as a DCT?…no, but much faster than you can do with a clutch pedal.

Reactions: Rob
@Andy was that a series 1 Evora, or 400+ onwards ? Can’t see the car on B&C site . If it’s the former then yes the S1 auto was much slower and not something I could live with.

Re reverting from manual mode to “drive”, like many autos it will do this if in “drive” mode. If in “sports” mode it will stay in manual from memory. Let’s put it this way I drove 9k miles in manual mode only so never had this problem.
not sure the model, it is not for sale i was told they are using this as a demo for anyone thinking of Auto until they get an Emira Demo, its green and tan, i think it was 3-4 years old not sure, it just did not do it for me in Auto

I have just driven the Evora Auto and for me it is no good too slow and jerky, the other thing you cannot do in the evora and i am told it s the same in the Emira is that when you use the paddles it goes into manual mode but after about 30 seconds it goes back into Auto, i am therefore going to go for the manual, it is not a daily for me and as such easier to live with the manual. This is just my view but my other cars have DCT gearbox which is instant change up or down and i feel this will be annoying to live with for me.

Bell and Covill have an Evora in Auto which is the one i test drove.
Had my run in this lovely 2019 Evora and have to say the IPS box is very smooth, responsive and couldn’t tell the difference between my Audi RS5 DSG. Thanks to Bell and Colville for letting me take it out for a spin. For those who are concerned about the IPS I’d say having driven Mercedes and VAG DSG boxes the difference is negligible.

Attachments

• 345BFC73-4AE4-43CC-A543-7557B21ADAD0.jpeg
    345BFC73-4AE4-43CC-A543-7557B21ADAD0.jpeg
    560.9 KB · Views: 84
  • 705D47EA-0EFD-4F7A-B7CD-9FBFF24076D3.jpeg
    705D47EA-0EFD-4F7A-B7CD-9FBFF24076D3.jpeg
    606.1 KB · Views: 91
Great to hear Rich and re affirms my ownership experience and current order spec (y)

Had my run in this lovely 2019 Evora and have to say the IPS box is very smooth, responsive and couldn’t tell the difference between my Audi RS5 DSG. Thanks to Bell and Colville for letting me take it out for a spin. For those who are concerned about the IPS I’d say having driven Mercedes and VAG DSG boxes the difference is negligible.
I dont doubt your review, but is it really as good as a double clutch?

I dont doubt your review, but is it really as good as a double clutch?
I had a big smile on my face and genuinely couldn’t tell the difference.
If there is some lag its milliseconds so unless you’re time trialling at goodwood I personally don’t think you’d notice the difference. I drove my Rs5 DSG v8 home and if I’m honest felt underwhelmed after my Evora IPS experience

I had a big smile on my face and genuinely couldn’t tell the difference.
If there is some lag its milliseconds so unless you’re time trialling at goodwood I personally don’t think you’d notice the difference. I drove my Rs5 DSG v8 home and if I’m honest felt underwhelmed after my Evora IPS experience
Sweet! :)
Did it drop multiple cogs OK on the paddle?

After my first Lotus experience tracking an Auto Evora the gearbox is now the 2nd weakest part of my BASE spec after the color.

I live in an urban area and when I do weekend drives I leave early and get into the mountains. Childish as it may be I enjoy just keeping my hands on the steering wheel piloting the car feeling like an F1 driver even though I am only going 40 MPH through curves. I guess what I am saying is there isn't a lot of shifting on those roads compared to city driving. Now my daily is a manual, and I have had a manual for a daily for over 15 years, and I love shifting gears in parking lots, on ramps, red lights, etc.

Strongly considering an Auto with the V6 and keeping my hands at 9 and 3. I wouldn't want an Auto for my daily, but for weekend drives and that Lotus handling, an Auto would work just fine.

It’s interesting how modern slush box’s are very fast and smooth changing gear…..BMW have ditched DSG in their M 5 models for slush, principally as they are more tuneable to meet emissions regs but also they are lighter…..software development has put the slush box back in play. The merc box is ulltra smooth and responsive. I once calculated the time difference of gear changes between dsg and slush to work out what distance the car was not under drive as gears swapped…….it’s a tiny distance.

The family currently has a CLA 250, which comes with a 7G-DCT transmission. The shifts are crisp but slowing down to a stoplight is messy, and sometimes jerky when the traffic moves again before coming to a full stop. My previous Mercedes had a 9G-Tronic (slushbox) transmission. Honestly, it shifted pretty quickly as well and was perfectly smooth at low speeds.

The family currently has a CLA 250, which comes with a 7G-DCT transmission. The shifts are crisp but slowing down to a stoplight is messy, and sometimes jerky when the traffic moves again before coming to a full stop. My previous Mercedes had a 9G-Tronic (slushbox) transmission. Honestly, it shifted pretty quickly as well and was perfectly smooth at low speeds.
Yes, that merc 9g tronic is ultra smooth, unobtrusive and, for me, always in the right ratio.

I drove 2020 Evora GT Auto + Exige 420 Final edition manual + owned many DCT cars and ZF cars...

Based on my experience in Evora GT I can say I was impressed how good the upshifts are, it's pretty fast (not DCT level) but very close to sports ZF fast I will say, in normal speeds kinda feels old school to me and a bit slow, downshifts are not fast but have very good blip to the throttle making it sound so good I don't think you can match downshift sound in Manual (unless you do it perfectly), the paddles felt good no complains there, however as an Auto preference guy I picked Manual and for one reason:

This might be last chance to get a manual why get Auto? Specially in Lotus, the 6 speed auto is not special but the manual is special, if it was Porsche I would have thought about it twice before going Manual, infact I was asked if I prefer GT4RS with Manual (if it was offered) I said NO, I want PDK...... But when I have an option of Lotus 6 speed auto or Lotus amazing manual will go manual anyday, get auto when you have an option of good Auto like Emira I4.

I drove 2020 Evora GT Auto + Exige 420 Final edition manual + owned many DCT cars and ZF cars...

Based on my experience in Evora GT I can say I was impressed how good the upshifts are, it's pretty fast (not DCT level) but very close to sports ZF fast I will say, in normal speeds kinda feels old school to me and a bit slow, downshifts are not fast but have very good blip to the throttle making it sound so good I don't think you can match downshift sound in Manual (unless you do it perfectly), the paddles felt good no complains there, however as an Auto preference guy I picked Manual and for one reason:

I agree. ZF in sports is how the auto shifts in the Evora GT. Your description of what the auto feels like is spot on.

Back