V6 auto gear box

Tommyboy1986

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Can any one tell me what is good and what is bad about this gear box .
I don’t want to wait so long for the i4 so I’m opting in for the v6 auto …
Does it blip on the down shift ? How responsive is it ? Any feed back is appreciated

https://www.emiraforum.com/threads/emira-v6-manual-auto-blip-downshift-rev-matching.228/post-2640

Also similar to Jag F Type I had. Re downsides with my Evora 400 auto, maybe a struggle to force it into down 1st gear when on track on a tight hairpin, but other than that I found it a great box over 9k miles of ownership.

yes it blips on downshift and sounds so good. I did a PH taster track day at silverstone and another driver on my session popped over afterwards and said his missus thought my Evora sounded the best car out there and also he praised my heel and toeing on downshifts. I was honest and said it was just a finger pull ;)

Re responsiveness, is it faster than changing gear manually …YES, is it slower than a DCT ….yes marginally.

Best to find an Evora 4xx auto to test drive to experience it first hand

Last edited:
Have a look at some videos of an Evora with the auto box on YouTube, it's helpful for giving you an indication of the speed of the shifts and the blipping!

From what I have read the IPS Auto gearbox on the Evora is fairly ordinary , hope they are not using the same box on the Emira

Have a look at some videos of an Evora with the auto box on YouTube, it's helpful for giving you an indication of the speed of the shifts and the blipping!
Just ensure it’s for Evora 400 onwards as the S1 Evora was slower to change gear from pull of paddle
From what I have read the IPS Auto gearbox on the Evora is fairly ordinary , hope they are not using the same box on the Emira
It will be the same box , but as I have mentioned above it’s as good as Jag F type and AMG GT box, so all good.

Last edited:
Just ensure it’s for Evora 400 onwards as the S1 Evora was slower to change gear from pull of paddle

It will be the same box , but as I have mentioned above it’s as good as Jag F type and AMG GT box, so all good.
I can attest to ownership of a 2016 Evora 400 and then a 2019 GT410 which had the updated software and gear ratios. They are daylight apart. The only thing I’ve driven better is the Porsche 2021 PDK and my 2016 Hurrican DCT. I will be getting an FE V6 Auto for that reason.

Last edited:
I can attest to ownership of a 2016 Evora 400 and then a 2019 GT410 which had the upside software and gear ratios. They are daylight apart. The only thing I’ve driven better is the Porsche 2021 PDK and my 2016 Hurrican DCT. I will be getting an FE V6 Auto for that reason.
Very useful to know, thank you. I had wondered!

Out of interest, how does it respond when you try and do a double downshift? With a PDK if you flick the paddle twice, it responds and changes down two gears almost instantly, so I just wondered how the Lotus box would perform.

Very useful to know, thank you. I had wondered!

Out of interest, how does it respond when you try and do a double downshift? With a PDK if you flick the paddle twice, it responds and changes down two gears almost instantly, so I just wondered how the Lotus box would perform.
This is the part where honesty is the best policy, double shifts not so good. Single upshifts and downshifts are very crisp and responsive every single time. To give you an idea I drove the new BMW M4 with the torque converter and the GT410 IPS id say is 30% better no doubt on downshifts every time. With all reviews praising the BMW move from a DCT to a torque converter for a great launch every time.

I’m also pretty sure Lotus would have found improvements for the Emira.

Last edited:
I can attest to ownership of a 2016 Evora 400 and then a 2019 GT410 which had the updated software and gear ratios. They are daylight apart. The only thing I’ve driven better is the Porsche 2021 PDK and my 2016 Hurrican DCT. I will be getting an FE V6 Auto for that reason.
Interesting to read, as jump from pre 400 was huge and I was happy with that box, so to hear it improved even further to the 410 is great to hear.

Hi Guys - I have always fancied the auto shift experience and have 4 other manual 2 seaters so I dont need some chopper giving it the old 'bahh you cant have the last Lotus ICE engine with an auto' yes I can, butt out and enjoy waggling your knob about!

Anyway rant over I found this last night covering all the V6 transmission options through Exige and the variants of the Evora.
Should answer many queries I have read so far and also some very useful auto running in info - ignore at your peril...

👍

Heres quite a long vid of auto blip on downshifts
I would have preferred a longer spell of giving it the beans all the way up the box.
Stick with it and he does open it up a couple of times

Last edited:
Great finds (y)

I think in 4the 4E videos he is using normal auto in sport as mine gave a noticeable crack on up changes when using the paddles. The final run at just about 1:20 there was a bit of a crack though.

On a downhill trailing throttle dropping down a gear it would often emit a very loud crack, which gave pedestrians a fright on a few occasions.

I have had an S1 auto and 400 auto and am sure the Emira auto will be at least as good as the 400 and sound even better than the 4E vid's. You wont be disappointed

Also I forgot to mention some of the cockwombles making comments on the vids regarding the shift speed/delay from paddle to shift.
Probably makes hardly any difference for road driving and still is faster than a manual cog swap.
I mentioned this ages ago on another thread but I spoke with a local club member about his v6 exige auto and said it was a fantastic car - very rare over here. Hes had more Porkers and Loti than anyone i know. I trust his opinion.

I am prepared to NOT have the same aural experience as you guys had with the evora auto. I don't think the zaust will be up to it. I wont moan I will just look for something better. Remember they didn't design this car for 'us'.

I’ll be keen to know if Lotus or Bosch have made any improvements to the Auto box over the outgoing Evora

when I had the opportunity to ask the question to Lotus senior management, I totally forgot

The last iteration of IPS/Auto on the Evora GT410 Sport was really good. If they achieve something like that on the Emira that would be a decent setup.

Reactions: DJS
My Evora 410 Sport auto box was very responsive. I never noticed any delays in gear changes with the paddles. In sports mode the shifts up came a bit later than in normal mode as you would expect. It sounded epic on downshifts, especially using the paddles if you did the down shifts nice and early you would get a real crack, burbles and pops as you go down the gears, right down to first gear. You soon learn how to get the best from it, if you want it to sound good.

Really looking forward to getting mine (batch 2 - due april?). I hope that the batch 1 folk hear something very soon. I will be very grateful if you would kindly report any bugs/issues to Lotus with your cars so that these can be ironed out before I get mine. :ROFLMAO:

Upshifts on a DCT will be 'better' as the technology is bonkers in comparison but with complexity usually comes the issue of cost to fix if it goes tits up.
I know a guy with an S5 V8 thing just out of warranty. Auto box problem. It worked fine just got the error. Main dealer estimate £7k.
His mate who fixes other exotica of greater value wouldn't touch it.
The Aisin auto has many miles under its belt so fingers crossed it will be fine.

The AMG i4 unit will be epic I'm sure.

Back