The 'Real Superman' - Seneca with Red Leather

Superman

Emira Owner!!
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
So, having been the proud owner of a Lotus Emira for the grand sum of 4 days, thought I would start a bit of a thread to talk about my experiences with what I can only describe as one of the most beautiful automobiles ever designed and built…

Factory Pickup:
As soon as I knew that factory pickup was an option, and given we are lucky enough to live relatively close (around 3 hours' drive), it was always something we were going to do.

When we arrived, there were lots of Emiras outside awaiting transport (I would estimate something around 100 to 150 vehicles), the vast majority of which were fully covered. There was a good mix of colours, left and right hand drive, some with LOTUS NYO badging (so for Chinese market) and some with the amber reflectors on the front lights (so destined for NA).

We had done a factory tour last year, when production was still ramping up. This time, it was very clear that they were a LOT busier and they are clearly producing more cars now. There were both V6's and I4's being built, and both RHD and LHD.

We did get to see a few different things, but overall was much the same as before, with all the same 'stations' on the line. I highly recommend as well worth doing the factory tour, even if not linked to a car collection, if you can.

Lunch was provided when we arrived, but it was just in the staff canteen. We also got a £50 voucher to spend in the shop - We were going to get some bits anyway, so a bit of 'money off' was a nice little welcome surprise.

Having bought a few new cars over the years, this was by far the best experience, and we were really made to feel special. Kudos to Scott and Sam (and David in the shop).

IMG_20240325_144230.jpg

IMG-20240325-WA0006.jpg

Overall initial impressions:
Appreciate that our colour choice might be somewhat polarising, but we absolutely LOVE IT in person. The Emira is already a head-turning car, so in Seneca blue with red leather interior, it really stands out - It is a true 'Superman' spec! Also love the red callipers with the black alloys.

After 'unveiling' the car, we were all just in a bit of awe for a few moments, didn't really know what to look at first. Spent a good few minutes having a look around. Beautiful. There is some orange peel in the paint, but I was expecting that, having seen quite a few new Emiras at dealers over the past year or so, but not super bad in my opinion, but I do understand why some people find the orange peel effect a bit of a challenge on new cars (and this is certainly not just a Lotus thing).

IMG-20240325-WA0014.jpg

IMG-20240325-WA0015.jpg

Seats:
The seats are overall comfortable, with one caveat - The headrest sticks out too much and is too low (yes I am tall, at 6ft 2in), to such an extent that I feel in touching the top of my shoulders… I can live with it (I knew about this from my very first test drive, and it wasn't enough to put me off), but I am seriously considering taking the car to a car interior upholsterer and having the headrests reduced, some foam removed and leather re-sown as appropriate - I will be having a serious think about this.

My wife is 5ft 4in, so it is important in any car we get that the seats have plenty of adjustment, and the Emira seats certainly do, and the memory function really helps when switching between the two of us.

Interior:
LOVE the red leather!! Honestly, I know it isn't to everyone's taste, but for me I think it really sets the car off as something a bit special. Only observation I have is that the red leather does highlight some of the 'gaps' where some of the various parts join (dash to door gaps especially), which are less noticeable in the black interiors.

IMG_20240329_165738.jpg

IMG_20240329_165854.jpg

The alcantara headlining is lovely - the sun visors are even fully covered (which is not always the case in some other cars) - and they are the right shape and size to be fully useful.

The carpeting is not great quality if I am being critical - I have certainly seen and felt better in other cars - Mostly noticeable on the sills, so may look to do something there at some point (some carbon fibre sill covers perhaps).

There is PLENTY of room inside the car, leg room, head room, seat fore-aft adjustment, also plenty of shoulder room between the seats - It doesn't feel like you are rubbing shoulders with your passenger.

Controls are all nice to use (we have a Volvo XC-90, so there is a familiarity there).

The various lights on the overhead panel are too bright and a little distracting - I have some LightDims at home (stick on semi-transparent plastic) that I will probably place over the top of the lights to dim them down a bit.

Oh, and I have the little stowage net in the passenger footwell.

IMG_20240329_165633.jpg

Infotainment:
This is going to need a bit of getting used to, I think. Seems to work well, nice and responsive, Android Auto and Apple CarPlay have worked fine so far too. The radio in particular seems to be a bit clunky - Wasn't able to figure out how to get any DAB stations on the drive home; had to sit in the car a couple days later and figure it all out… only for all of the stations I had saved as favourites to mysteriously disappear when I then added driver profiles.. Eurghhh, it shouldn't be this difficult, really it shouldn’t! I have re-saved a few favourites now, will have to see if they remain.

KEF Audio:
Honestly, for me, it is perfectly fine - Honestly, perfectly fine. I do tend to drive my sportier cars quite often with no music, preferring to hear the engine/mechanical noises of the machine around me - But I have tried the radio on a couple of drives now and it is perfectly good enough for me - Haven't had to go anywhere near max volume at all. Audiophiles can fill their boots with whatever upgrades they feel necessary, but if you are anything like me, and it is just there for a bit of distraction when on longer drives, I cannot see any need for any sort of 'upgrades' at all.

Steering Wheel Look & Feel:
Love the look of the steering wheel, but isn't as 'easy' to use as a standard circular wheel for sure - Will take a little bit of getting used to, but don't foresee any issues. I was also more aware of the thickness variation around the wheel - Is noticeably more thick at the 3 and 9 positions compared to the rest of the rim, which is noticeable when moving hands around the wheel during tight turns, etc.

I really wish the steering wheel was heated though, have had heated steering wheels in a few cars now, and once you have had it, you really do miss it in the winter months!

Steering Wheel Controls:
As suspected would happen, I have accidentally brushed the touch controls on the steering wheel a couple of times already - I will have to be conscious of hand placements when driving this car, and will perhaps be considering the change to the physical buttons only controls on the wheel, but will see how we get on.

Engine:
Difficult to say too much just yet, as am still very early on in the break-in, so still keeping it below 4k RPM. However, even at that low range, the car clearly has some urgency - In Tour, with very little throttle (say around just 10% to 20% throttle), the car will push forward with some gusto… Cannot wait to really be able to open it up on full throttle.

You can really hear the engine noise from within the cabin - The turbo 'whoosh' is a full-on jet engine sound! The only negative for me is a slight ticking sound from the engine - I have been told that these engines can make such noises naturally (possibly from the injectors), and maybe I am being overly sensitive to it, but am thinking I may try and hear a few more, perhaps go for a test drive in a dealer demo and see if it sounds the same. I can live with it if it is 'normal', just want to make sure I don't have any underlying early engine problems (dash read-out reports the engine oil level is fine).

Gearbox:
Lots has been said in various reviews about a 'delay' to the gear changes with the DCT box, but in my initial drives, keeping under 4k RPM, I have not experienced any unexpected delays when using the paddles. I honestly can't see this becoming a problem when I start to increase the engine revs after break-in.

Just one note, there was some initial clunking coming from the drivetrain within the first few miles, especially when coming to a complete stop at the first couple of junctions/roundabouts, but this settled down pretty quickly during the initial drive home, so I am putting this down to everything just initially bedding in.

The process of having to pull/push the gear lever twice (firstly to go into neutral, then a second time to go into gear) is a strange design choice and slightly annoying, but will no doubt get used to it pretty quickly.

Continued...

Last edited:
OP
Superman

Superman

Emira Owner!!
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Suspension:
No doubt, the Tour suspension on the I4 is DEFINITELY stiffer than the Tour suspension on the V6. I am ok with that, but if I am being critically honest, I am also slightly disappointed, as I absolutely LOVED the Tour setup on the V6 demo I test drove last year… The Tour suspension on the I4, I just like… I will have to see if it grows on me any more with time, but I may just have to notch this one up as a "why, Lotus… why?".

Everyone's tastes are different, and I am sure there are a few people sat reading this thinking, "what the hell sort of crazy talk is this, Sport suspension is the only right answer", but I really, really don't know how jarring and crashy the Sports I4 setup will be on typical UK roads… Maybe I should try to get a test drive in one for comparison… Maybe that'll make me appreciate my Tour setup even more?!

Brakes:
I have a lot of experience with brakes - I have had track-specific cars for many years, so well used to bedding in new pads/disks - And the Emira was no different - It did take a few deliberate stops to get an initial bite from the brakes, but once done, it feels like they will perform well - time will tell.

Headlights:
Like pretty much all modern LED headlights, these are excellent. Would have been nice to have matrix LEDs, but not a deal breaker. And they look super-cool even when they are off too.

Badges:
Looking at pictures online before we got the car, I was fairly certain I wanted to change the badges from the standard yellow/black to the black/silver ones… However, seeing it in person, I actually like the yellow/black badges - I am not going to rule out a change just yet, but will perhaps live with these for a while and see if I am inclined to change them over at some point in the future (maybe even just the wheel badges).

That's it for now - Currently just ticked over 200 miles, so still some way to go with the bedding-in…

IMG-20240325-WA0001.jpg

IMG_20240325_200905.jpg

Medic518

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
...will perhaps be considering the change to the physical buttons only controls on the wheel
Did anyone ever locate the official Lynk & Co part numbers for the tactile buttons? I did some research based on the photos from the China i4 swap, but got nowhere..

OP
Superman

Superman

Emira Owner!!
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Did anyone ever locate the official Lynk & Co part numbers for the tactile buttons? I did some research based on the photos from the China i4 swap, but got nowhere..
Not sure, to be fair; I know there was a thread about this a little while back, but don't recall if actual part numbers were ever shared or not.

KCMO68_510

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Someone did... but it was in a post that really had nothing to do with the steering wheel. Can't remember where.

MB-SC-LTSE

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Great writeup and feedback!! Congrats on finally taking delivery and wishing you the very best of luck and happy driving experiences!! Please keep this great information and feedback coming!!

SirSoysauce

Reaction score
Someone did... but it was in a post that really had nothing to do with the steering wheel. Can't remember where.

I think its this post:

OP
Superman

Superman

Emira Owner!!
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
My first bit of trim fell off... Driver's side top seatbelt bolt cover. It fell off whilst I was driving; I can clip it back on, but the clips aren't great, and it pulls off easily, so might need to get a replacement, or work out a way to secure it a bit better (without using glue):

IMG_20240330_204403.jpg

IMG_20240330_204411.jpg

Last edited:

Go Kart

… has a HUGE member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
If it were me I’d just use mounting putty. It’s worked well keeping a rather heavy Harmon Kardon speaker from dancing off my work bench. Totally removable when you want to take it off.

SirSoysauce

Reaction score
My first bit of trim fell off... Driver's side top seatbelt bolt cover. It fell off whilst I was driving; I can clip it back on, but the clips aren't great, and it pulls off easily, so might need to get a replacement, or work out a way to secure it a bit better (without using glue):

View attachment 40533
View attachment 40532

Time for a carbon fiber seatbelt bolt cover :sneaky:

ADC

Just Jazzed About Being On The Show
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I love this car!!... Can't stop peeking at it when it is parked up under cover...

View attachment 40420

Although, after 200 miles, is dirty already!!...

View attachment 40421
I think you've missed a trick not having a bright red cape car cover :) (giant yellow S symbol optional)

Currently getting the fidgets in preparation for delivery of mine (been told it is built, and am awaiting checkout email) ... I'm terrified it will instantly be dirty, and I'll instantly scratch it trying to give it a clean 😅

OP
Superman

Superman

Emira Owner!!
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I was finding the overly bright lights on the overhead panel distracting, so put some LightDims over them to dull them down a bit...

Before:
IMG_20240406_124026.jpg
With one LightDim:
IMG_20240406_124057.jpg
With two LightDims:
IMG_20240406_124158.jpg

Also put a larger one over the airbag light (didn't take a before pic, but did dull it down enough to no longer be distracting):
IMG_20240406_124907.jpg
(Got a little air bubble in this one, but don't really notice it in person)

@Life411

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Suspension:
No doubt, the Tour suspension on the I4 is DEFINITELY stiffer than the Tour suspension on the V6. I am ok with that, but if I am being critically honest, I am also slightly disappointed, as I absolutely LOVED the Tour setup on the V6 demo I test drove last year… The Tour suspension on the I4, I just like… I will have to see if it grows on me any more with time, but I may just have to notch this one up as a "why, Lotus… why?".

Everyone's tastes are different, and I am sure there are a few people sat reading this thinking, "what the hell sort of crazy talk is this, Sport suspension is the only right answer", but I really, really don't know how jarring and crashy the Sports I4 setup will be on typical UK roads… Maybe I should try to get a test drive in one for comparison… Maybe that'll make me appreciate my Tour setup even more?!

Brakes:
I have a lot of experience with brakes - I have had track-specific cars for many years, so well used to bedding in new pads/disks - And the Emira was no different - It did take a few deliberate stops to get an initial bite from the brakes, but once done, it feels like they will perform well - time will tell.

Headlights:
Like pretty much all modern LED headlights, these are excellent. Would have been nice to have matrix LEDs, but not a deal breaker. And they look super-cool even when they are off too.

Badges:
Looking at pictures online before we got the car, I was fairly certain I wanted to change the badges from the standard yellow/black to the black/silver ones… However, seeing it in person, I actually like the yellow/black badges - I am not going to rule out a change just yet, but will perhaps live with these for a while and see if I am inclined to change them over at some point in the future (maybe even just the wheel badges).

That's it for now - Currently just ticked over 200 miles, so still some way to go with the bedding-in…

View attachment 40082

View attachment 40083
Love the superman/color scheme connection. I was briefly considering Hethel Yellow with the Red Leather until someone said "Oh, McDonalds colors...Ketchup and Mustard!" Not nearly as cool :)