420 Sport officially teased on social media, full reveal on 26 May 2026

1000047578.webp
1000047582.webp
1000047584.webp
1000047586.webp
1000047588.webp
1000047592.webp
 

Attachments

  • 1000047580.webp
    1000047580.webp
    44.2 KB · Views: 221
I think you guys are underestimating the importance of the i4 in the Asian markets. In that part of the world the v6 is too expensive due to taxes.

That said any development is positive for the emira line. Personally I like all of the ideas but the execution is just ok. I’m surprised there is no swan neck wing. They have all the other GT3 or RS type parts. You add the wing and people instantly get it. oh- this is the racecar version. The lip spoiler makes no sense when you have a carbon hatch, front vendor slats, etc. it feels non-commital.

The new paint colors are fantastic.
 
Am I missing something? Has the Front/Centre speaker disappeared?

I wanted the targa roof, I so wanted it to be a retrofit to the older cars. The Sun Roof seems to a weak alternative to the Targa option
If it is a possible retro fit to older cars, I will still consider it, but it would need to be cost effective.
 
Am I missing something? Has the Front/Centre speaker disappeared?

I wanted the targa roof, I so wanted it to be a retrofit to the older cars. The Sun Roof seems to a weak alternative to the Targa option
If it is a possible retro fit to older cars, I will still consider it, but it would need to be cost effective.
I was just thinking this. The only thing I really liked about the announcement was the colour and the removable roof. But I’d gladly stick with the V6 manual over it. Fingers crossed for a decent retrofit.
 
The track performance app indicates sensor data. Wonder if this is additional to what we can currently obtain from the OBD port

Doubt the multimatic dampers could be fitted to V6 but would be a great option if possible

Also hoping the brake ducts and number plate changes can be fitted to v6
 
Selfishly I'm glad it doesn't have a proper Targa top. Having bought my emira 4 months ago that would've killed me as Id' love a proper roof off option. I can live with just the sunroof.
 
Ha, seems I’m not alone. First thought when I saw it was “Gorgeous color, meh power, yuk the rest”. Definitely selection bias, but the bits added looks takes away from the elegance IMO.
 
Fingers crossed for some backwards compatibility on parts. I'd take the hatch in carbon, side skirts and front lip in gloss black, plus the exhaust and leave the rest. Curious to know if future i4 updates will have the charging logic to support Li-ion batteries as I'd swap to an Anti-Gravity one if it didn't tie me to a trickle charger in perpetuity.

In some of the press release photos it looks like they opened up the two sides of the front bumper using mesh instead of the large gloss black piece in first editions. Do we think this is for brake cooling or is there a radiator behind that?
in the I4, the charge coolers are in those areas, in the outside vents. i think the air then feeds into the wheel well after it exits the coolers. My upgraded charge cooler radiators are red, so can see them clearly.

1779853798925.webp
 
I think you guys are underestimating the importance of the i4 in the Asian markets. In that part of the world the v6 is too expensive due to taxes.
Sure, but I don't live in an Asian market and the Emira 420 Sport is overpriced and underpowered for the risk of such a purchase. Small/poor dealership network in the US, questionable quality and parts availability, no brand cache, and lack luster warranty. Lotus aren't Porsche, they can't get away with this kind of pricing IMO, especially for an I4, I don't care how much carbon you throw at it. To me this just continues to show out of touch they are. Either that or they just don't care about about any other market besides the Chinese one anymore.
 
Or things have gone up in price and they are just passing the costs on
Granted they are not Porsche, but they still have similar costs for materials and labour, they just dont bolt the bits together as well
 
Or things have gone up in price and they are just passing the costs on
Granted they are not Porsche, but they still have similar costs for materials and labour, they just dont bolt the bits together as well
Yeah I agree prices have gone up, but this is not how you build a brand either. It takes money to make money. Sometimes you have to take short terms loses for long term gains. Lotus isn't going to ever get close to competing with Porsche or anyone else with their current offerings at their price points. I mean a fully specced Emira 420 is going to be what? $140k USD? Seriously $140k for a 420HP Lotus I4 that can't beat some small hot hatches on the market? At almost $150k that number should have been 3-digits started with a 5. Porsche may be able to get away with this, but a basically unknown brand like Lotus can't. You want someone to take a risk and buy a Lotus then you got to offer way more for the money.

Better quality? Porsche
Better dealership network? Porsche
Better warranty? Porsche
Better parts availability? Porsche
Better desirability and brand cache? Porsche
Better ownership experience? Porsche
Better at holding value? Porsche
Better looking cars? Lotus (and that is completely subjective)

Yes, Porsche has their issues, but Lotus is never going to sell more cars with this strategy IMO. The Emira 420 won't increase sales by any noticeable margin. Its too expensive for what it is. Lotus/Geely should have never wasted time and resources on the Evija and other all EV cars. They should have tried to build the brand by offering something better than the competition at a much better price to help build the brand and customer trust. Only then maybe can you start meeting the competition on price.

Instead they release the Emira, with less HP and more weight than the outgoing top-of-the-line Evora. An EV hypercar that has become a joke, and EV SUV and Sedan than no one cares about. Now 4 years into the Emira and you give it a 20HP bump, no manual, and some carbon fiber and higher starting price and think that is going to sell more cars? I don't get it.
 
I could have had porsche, didnt want one..

You're not buying a new porsche over the emira at the moment given the cayman and the boxter are dead.

I must admit, I wouldnt pay that for a 2.0 4 but then I'm not the target market.
 
I don't want a Porsche either, but I think most people if presented with both options would choose the Porsche. I am just talking from a business stand point Lotus really needs to lure some of these people over, but their offerings as of now I don't think are enough.

I am the demo for this car. I have owned an Elise and 2 Evoras (Evora 400 I bought new). I was hyped for the Emira until the specs were announced and the Emira felt at best a lateral move from my 400. Unless they do something more with the Emira its hard to justify getting one. Some carbon fiber and 20 HP ain't it.
 
Last edited:
If I were you, I'd just wait for the new V6 in a years time or so. It should be a very quick car and if it wasnt for the fact I dont want all the driver aids and I want to keep a manual, I could otherwise be tempted. Especially if they use the hybrid aspect to mask the turbo effect and make it more N/A in feel but with the torque of a turbo EV.
 
Yeah I agree prices have gone up, but this is not how you build a brand either. It takes money to make money. Sometimes you have to take short terms loses for long term gains. Lotus isn't going to ever get close to competing with Porsche or anyone else with their current offerings at their price points. I mean a fully specced Emira 420 is going to be what? $140k USD? Seriously $140k for a 420HP Lotus I4 that can't beat some small hot hatches on the market? At almost $150k that number should have been 3-digits started with a 5. Porsche may be able to get away with this, but a basically unknown brand like Lotus can't. You want someone to take a risk and buy a Lotus then you got to offer way more for the money.

Better quality? Porsche
Better dealership network? Porsche
Better warranty? Porsche
Better parts availability? Porsche
Better desirability and brand cache? Porsche
Better ownership experience? Porsche
Better at holding value? Porsche
Better looking cars? Lotus (and that is completely subjective)

Yes, Porsche has their issues, but Lotus is never going to sell more cars with this strategy IMO. The Emira 420 won't increase sales by any noticeable margin. Its too expensive for what it is. Lotus/Geely should have never wasted time and resources on the Evija and other all EV cars. They should have tried to build the brand by offering something better than the competition at a much better price to help build the brand and customer trust. Only then maybe can you start meeting the competition on price.

Instead they release the Emira, with less HP and more weight than the outgoing top-of-the-line Evora. An EV hypercar that has become a joke, and EV SUV and Sedan than no one cares about. Now 4 years into the Emira and you give it a 20HP bump, no manual, and some carbon fiber and higher starting price and think that is going to sell more cars? I don't get it.
I didn't think enthusiasts choose their cars based on warranties, dealer networks, or parts availability, or badges.
 
If I were you, I'd just wait for the new V6 in a years time or so. It should be a very quick car and if it wasnt for the fact I dont want all the driver aids and I want to keep a manual, I could otherwise be tempted. Especially if they use the hybrid aspect to mask the turbo effect and make it more N/A in feel but with the torque of a turbo EV.
Idk the new one just sounds like another generic car. No manual, turbocharged, I’m guessing EPS rack, and 3500lbs+ most likely. Basically lost most of what makes this car unique against other modern cars. Plus it’s an unproven powertrain and has the strange 4 speed transmission. At that point I’d just buy a 992 or C8 or any other generic platform
 
I didn't think enthusiasts choose their cars based on warranties, dealer networks, or parts availability, or badges.
Hardcore Lotus enthusiasts? Maybe not, because if they did they would never buy a Lotus. Lotus's problem is they really don't have a lot of enthusiasts. They need to get more. You don't get people to buy your cars if its hard to get, has a reputation for unreliability (warranted or not), has a 3-year warranty, and sits in the shop for 4 months to get fixed because the dealership can't get parts. If you want to pull more people into Lotus offer better performance, ownership experience, and show that you believe in your product by offering a great warranty. Also get some better dealers, in there US at least there are like a handful of good dealers. The rest seem to look at Lotus as a side hustle.
 
It looks like it will have new (and better) seats…

I looked at the photos on the 420 Sport website, and the seats appear to be the same at the current seats albeit with a gloss painted seatback - based on what little is shown of the shoulder of the seat. However, I cannot say with 100% certainty the seats are the same because the stitch lines on the edge appear to be slightly different. It's possible they changed the bolster design. That seems to be a big complaint amongst owners. That and the higher-than-ideal seat height.
 
The new hybrid powertrain V6 emira will be a rocket - and priced under 992.2 S money. IMO, it will be very compelling with close performance to an Artura, but a lot less $$. However, the proposition of a used Arturo spider in 2 years time is probably the new Emira's biggest problem.

V6 Manual's will almost certainly hold its value extremely well.

420 Sport is cool, but like others have said, does not move the needle enough and I doubt it will beat the track time of a base Carrera w/ PDK.
 
I've owned two 911's and enjoyed both but you see yourself coming and going in the SF Bay Area in a Porsche. My first 911 was a 997 Carerra that had an engine within the range of years that could suffer catastrophic intermediate shaft failures which could destroy the engine without an expensive service intervention. I moved on to a 991 GT3 car that was a great drive but I missed the manual transmission of the earlier car. Those cars also had a fatal engineering flaw that could lead to engine failure and the valve train has since been redesigned multiple times before they finally got it right. To Porsche's credit, they did extend my warranty but I didn't want to risk owning that car out of warranty and sold it. Yeah, Porsches have their issues not to mention an abusive dealer network charging heavy premiums for the most desirable cars.

Lotus offers a great product in the Emira that is a brilliant drive with excellent handling dynamics and supercar styling that is much less common. I think that's a fair value proposition but it's a choice we all have to make for ourselves. The fact is that the Emira is a continued evolution of the Evora and earlier Elise and Exige cars that offers many improvements. Lotus has a history of offering bolt on upgrades at higher price points that add lightness and performance. Most of these could be added to any car at a much lower cost and with a greater performance improvement in the aftermarket but some want that exclusive factory offering and are willing to pay for it. I don't blame Lotus for capitalizing on that opportunity.

Start with an Emira, add titanium exhaust, a VF tune, a lightweight lithium battery, adjustable control arms with more negative camber and carbon seats and you have a car that will hold it's own with much more expensive alternatives on track day. Truth be told, it also does very well out of the box.
 
Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Supporting Vendors View all →
Back
Top