What to try on your new KEF audio....?

eclat2emira

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Prompted by @freefall_junkie and @digilotus talking about music (great chat in "Emira Review Index" thread on that, kicked by the Moroder C16 connection!), so what are your favourite tracks for evaluating hi-fi?

When buying a good quality range of Denon components (must be over 20 years ago...) and testing them with Wharfdale Diamond IV speakers plus alternates and a selection of turntables (ended up with Dual), Enlightenment by Van Morrison and Southside by Texas both had great range as well as plenty of "space" to assess the audio kit. The intro to Sharleen Spiteri's "I don't want a lover" is a great test for any audio with that pin-sharp, treble-heavy acoustic guitar with lots of space around it, followed by booming base. Similar features in Enlightenment soon expose any weaknesses.

So what are your faves for giving an audio system a good workout?

#fortheaudiospeakerdrivers :ROFLMAO:

freefall_junkie

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Simple Minds are a go-to for a HiFi work out for me, Pete Walsh's production of New Gold Dream in particular is so clean and full of space. That choice does carbon-date me though doesn't it? 🤔

I'm into electronic and ambient music, and on that front the huge soundscapes of Solar Fields' Movements work well https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQjove0nzss

On the acoustic side anything by guitar genius Antonio Forcione. His early recordings were made by Naim, who know a thing or two about good Hi Fi
Edited to add, watch the Antonio vid to 5.00 in to have your mind blown!

I've got Cyrus kit with Monitor Audio speakers at home - also pretty old but still sounds great.

Last edited:

DaveR

Reaction score
Simple Minds are a go-to for a HiFi work out for me, Pete Walsh's production of New Gold Dream in particular is so clean and full of space. That choice does carbon-date me though doesn't it? 🤔

I'm into electronic and ambient music, and on that front the huge soundscapes of Solar Fields' Movements work well https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQjove0nzss

On the acoustic side anything by guitar genius Antonio Forcione. His early recordings were made by Naim, who know a thing or two about good Hi Fi

I've got Cyrus kit with Monitor Audio speakers at home - also pretty old but still sounds great.
That brings back memories. New gold dream. Only have it on vinyl so may create a problem in the emira

Tonyshepp

Emira Maniac
Reaction score

New Gold Dream? Got to be Don't you forget about me live in the city of lights

OP
eclat2emira

eclat2emira

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Any sound system that Hotel California by Eagles sounds good on is good for me. I played it on an Acura RDX with their 360* studio ELS sound system a few years ago and it was phenomenal!
Hitting the road to the Eagles Take it Easy is a favourite of mine, more on holiday trips than serious drives, but what a vibe.

OP
eclat2emira

eclat2emira

Emira Maniac
Reaction score

I recently rediscovered New Gold Dream - what an album!