What to try on your new KEF audio....?

OP
eclat2emira

eclat2emira

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
OMG, now I’m depressed, Texas/Simple Minds/Van Morrison, kill me now! Nothing says middle-aged like this thread 😉
You're not wrong, but one of the benefits of middle age is caring less about what others think! The other benefit that springs to mind is being able to buy what were previously dream cars...

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Recently I have been listening to a playlist on Spotify called Don's Tunes, I believe the Genre is called Whiskey Blues. It's been pretty good. But really, driving music tends to be energetic and therefore heavily compressed. There is some good modern pop and R&B that would work really well.

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
A little different that most of you guys, but pretty much anything from NIN's Pretty Hate Machine, The Downward Spiral, and The Fragile albums, but specifically this...

And 5:08 on, specifically for that epic harmonizing guitar solo...

And some "classic" Pumpkins! Nothing like some psychedelic distorted guitars and whiny vocals to really showoff your new high end audio system. ;)

But in all seriousness... Mellon Collie & The Infinite Sadness has some superb variety and range:

Lankan

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Classic driving tune from back in the day, and quite appropriate if you take delivery of your car in summer => The Heat is On by Glenn Frey

Some of my other choices would be:
Hotel California (1994 version) by Eagles
(should test the low end. Most of their Hell Freezes Over album is enjoyable)
Any track from the Joshua Tree album by U2 (unfortunately its mastering was not that good)
Madness by Muse
One by Metallica (Lars U's double peddling. Basically any track from their Black album)
Highway Star by Deep Purple (plus most other tracks from their Machine Head album)
Closer by Nine Inch Nails (WARNING: explicit lyrics)
...too numerous to name, but some good Blues guitar (e.g. Stevie Ray Vaughan, Gary Moore, etc.) also make the drive rather special.

Question: who here has music playing when they are going for a spirited drive (i.e. really on it)?
I tend not to, only when cruising on a motorway or touring.

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
Classic driving tune from back in the day, and quite appropriate if you take delivery of your car in summer => The Heat is On by Glenn Frey

Some of my other choices would be:
Hotel California (1994 version) by Eagles
(should test the low end. Most of their Hell Freezes Over album is enjoyable)
Any track from the Joshua Tree album by U2 (unfortunately its mastering was not that good)
Madness by Muse
One by Metallica (Lars U's double peddling. Basically any track from their Black album)
Highway Star by Deep Purple (plus most other tracks from their Machine Head album)
Closer by Nine Inch Nails (WARNING: explicit lyrics)
...too numerous to name, but some good Blues guitar (e.g. Stevie Ray Vaughan, Gary Moore, etc.) also make the drive rather special.

Question: who here has music playing when they are going for a spirited drive (i.e. really on it)?
I tend not to, only when cruising on a motorway or touring.

I've been listening to Joshua Tree a lot lately. Good choice!

DPB

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Not sure about the dynamic range, but Sammy Hagar’s I Cant Drive 55 somehow seems appropriate. 😀 If nothing else you gotta love the Ferrari 512 Boxer in the video!

Last edited:

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Prompted by @freefall_junkie and @digilotus talking about music (great chat in "Emira Review Index" thread on that, kicked by the Moroder C16 connection!), so what are your favourite tracks for evaluating hi-fi?

When buying a good quality range of Denon components (must be over 20 years ago...) and testing them with Wharfdale Diamond IV speakers plus alternates and a selection of turntables (ended up with Dual), Enlightenment by Van Morrison and Southside by Texas both had great range as well as plenty of "space" to assess the audio kit. The intro to Sharleen Spiteri's "I don't want a lover" is a great test for any audio with that pin-sharp, treble-heavy acoustic guitar with lots of space around it, followed by booming base. Similar features in Enlightenment soon expose any weaknesses.

So what are your faves for giving an audio system a good workout?

#fortheaudiospeakerdrivers :ROFLMAO:
Love this idea @eclat2emira! Who wants to volunteer to create some spotify playlists? :cool:

eriegz

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Is anyone under 40 on here? 🤣
Screen_Shot_2017_07_13_at_1.09.20_PM.0.jpeg

912Matt

Emira Fan
Reaction score
You're not wrong, but one of the benefits of middle age is caring less about what others think! The other benefit that springs to mind is being able to buy what were previously dream cars...
…. and insure them 👍

freefall_junkie

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I recently rediscovered New Gold Dream - what an album!
Yup, a genuinely innovative and unique sound in its day and it still sounds fresh. I'm going to see them again live in Princes Street Gardens in August. They were brilliant at the Hydro in April.