Change spec to avoid delay?

Markc

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Do you think we may be given the choice to change our spec’ to avoid a delay in delivery eg change from privacy glass to clear or accept a different wheel design? Etc or would that just create more issues for Lotus
With regards to their orders?

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
Do you think we may be given the choice to change our spec’ to avoid a delay in delivery eg change from privacy glass to clear or accept a different wheel design? Etc or would that just create more issues for Lotus
With regards to their orders?

Doubt it. That'd be a massive undertaking for Lotus and dealers across the globe to contact all affected orders. They'd first have to have specifics on what parts are back ordered and estimated delivery and install times. Then they'd have to somehow sort out who ordered what and contact them and get updated contracts/order forms signed off on. Lotus can barely handle mass email comms, let alone excel filters and vlookups. My US dealer sent me scanned PDF docs to fill out and send back. Thankfully I know how to use Google Docs and docusign, otherwise my initial deposit date would have been delayed due to having to print and snail mail forms around like it's 1995.

And this is assuming the backordered parts are simple like wheels or blackpack emblems or exhaust finishers. It's most likely electronics or sensors (and yes, probably wheels too). Maybe their new state of the art paint booth malfunctioned and they can only offer 5 colors now. 🙃

695 to Emira

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Cruise control and parking camera delete for me please. And add a few quid on to the price for the privilege like Porsche do. Really, I would pay it.

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
Cruise control and parking camera delete for me please. And add a few quid on to the price for the privilege like Porsche do. Really, I would pay it.
Lol, why? These features hardly add any weight. I'm pretty sure reverse cams are requires here in the states since 2015 or so. If anything, get rid of the [presumably] heavy power seats.

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Then they'd have to somehow sort out who ordered what and contact them and get updated contracts/order forms signed off on.
Figure out who ordered what and contact them? God, I hope they could figure at least that out.

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
Figure out who ordered what and contact them? God, I hope they could figure at least that out.

Yeah, we'd hope so! The did figure out a way to generate overwhelming demand while decreasing power, limiting color options, and adding weight... so anything is possible! 🙃

695 to Emira

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Lol, why? These features hardly add any weight. I'm pretty sure reverse cams are requires here in the states since 2015 or so. If anything, get rid of the [presumably] heavy power seats.
Irritating functionality I’d prefer not to have as I rage against complexity in my old age! And yes electric seats are in my list. But despite all that the Emira is such a pretty car I was one of the many placing a deposit at the FoS last year.

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
anyone who has had a company or worked in a company with 1 2 3 4 5 thousand orders I think knows the answer to this question.
If they were not prepared to let you change your order without a 2 3 4 5 6 month delay, to preserve their "flow" for sure they are not going to be contacting everyone to see what can be chopped and changed, its extremely unrealistic.
The very best you could hope for is that if they actually get to a point where they cant make any cars on order due to lacking one or two small things, privacy glass lets say, at that point they will look at the order list and start to contact the next ones due and ask them if they would mind the car without that.... simple. OR......not
Dont forget, many car companies from Toyota to Porsche have given cars to customers without certain functions they were promised originally due to Microchip shortages etc, WITHOUT warning... TOYOTA and PORSCHE that is, two of the largest car groups ever..... and you think lotus will be calling hundreds of customers to chop and change.... with an external outsourced customer service....... good luck with that as they say hah

Tommyboy1986

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I got offered a cancellation spot two weeks ago to take my order from spring 2023 to September 2022 the compromise was no privacy glass and I had to take black wheels instead of diamond cut and only lower black pack .
I accepted the offer as I’m just bored of waiting .
There was no option but to accept the spec that was available and no way to change any thing at all.
After looking at the config , I have actually come to like the spec so I’m very pleased over all how it’s turned out 👌🏽

MCS

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I got offered a cancellation spot two weeks ago to take my order from spring 2023 to September 2022 the compromise was no privacy glass and I had to take black wheels instead of diamond cut and only lower black pack .
I accepted the offer as I’m just bored of waiting .
There was no option but to accept the spec that was available and no way to change any thing at all.
After looking at the config , I have actually come to like the spec so I’m very pleased over all how it’s turned out 👌🏽
At least that’s a relatively easy spec to change to what you originally wanted if you choose to in the future 👍🏻

Toomanyloti

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
anyone who has had a company or worked in a company with 1 2 3 4 5 thousand orders I think knows the answer to this question.
If they were not prepared to let you change your order without a 2 3 4 5 6 month delay, to preserve their "flow" for sure they are not going to be contacting everyone to see what can be chopped and changed, its extremely unrealistic.
The very best you could hope for is that if they actually get to a point where they cant make any cars on order due to lacking one or two small things, privacy glass lets say, at that point they will look at the order list and start to contact the next ones due and ask them if they would mind the car without that.... simple. OR......not
Dont forget, many car companies from Toyota to Porsche have given cars to customers without certain functions they were promised originally due to Microchip shortages etc, WITHOUT warning... TOYOTA and PORSCHE that is, two of the largest car groups ever..... and you think lotus will be calling hundreds of customers to chop and change.... with an external outsourced customer service....... good luck with that as they say hah
My Taycan came without Matrix lights. Got a call mid build saying its coming without em - tough tit!
My business partners came without a power steering column. Dealer said they would retro fit it...

Tommyboy1986

Emira Fan
Reaction score
At least that’s a relatively easy spec to change to what you originally wanted if you choose to in the future 👍🏻
Exactly , I have a feeling I will be happy with it as is all though I have had upper black pack , tinted windows priced up just so I know what it will cost if I do want it changing 👌🏽

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
My Taycan came without Matrix lights. Got a call mid build saying its coming without em - tough tit!
My business partners came without a power steering column. Dealer said they would retro fit it...
Yep it’s all over.
People are over reacting terribly to lotus’s problems and don’t see them as world wide.
Yes lotus have made mistakes, who on here hasn’t, and they continue to do so and will continue to so until they get settled in a year or two. I simply say a lot of this crap is out of their hands and many other if not every other car company has similar issues and the communication has also been terrible in cases

At the same time though a smaller company with a hands in boss like Matt has the chance to make the difference …. So let’s see if from yesterday he now does ….

Flashback

Reaction score
Indeed. Flow is king at times like this.

(I could sell them some software to automate the material availability checks and then automatically re-prioritise the schedule, though. 🤔 🤣)

But yes component/raw mats supply is a massive problem globally for all the industries I work with from oil & gas to pharma, to drinks, even kitchen sinks...

During Covid, across the developed world governments pumped cash into peoples pockets whilst they sat at home not making anything. People continued spending, buying consumer goods but stocks weren't replenished and it's now a surprise (to some) that we're running out of 'stuff'.

New to Lotus

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Exactly we all know it, it's how that is being communicated that is what's getting on my goat. Remember the unprecedented demand excuse, then blamed type approval then China parts supply then we will catch up with a further shift, rubbish they haven't even got enough parts to make the first few cars.
I have 2 other cars on order now both told me at order there is a long delay and since then they have both put it back even further and named the parts and the reason for the delay and more told me they can't give me a date for delivery. That's how it's done.

xen

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Exactly we all know it, it's how that is being communicated that is what's getting on my goat. Remember the unprecedented demand excuse, then blamed type approval then China parts supply then we will catch up with a further shift, rubbish they haven't even got enough parts to make the first few cars.
I have 2 other cars on order now both told me at order there is a long delay and since then they have both put it back even further and named the parts and the reason for the delay and more told me they can't give me a date for delivery. That's how it's done.
This is what a lot of people don’t seem to get. There is nothing wrong with delays, we all see what’s going on the world. What’s wrong is sticking your neck on the ground and not communicating these delays or engaging with your customer base.

garretwing

Reaction score
Is it possible at this stage to call dealer and change color on FE? I have magma red on order but think I should have gone with nimbus gray. 🙄 I wonder if I'll be shooting myself in the foot by changing color. Until what stage in the process can you make such a request? I've only given my initial $2500 deposit.

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Is it possible at this stage to call dealer and change color on FE? I have magma red on order but think I should have gone with nimbus gray. 🙄 I wonder if I'll be shooting myself in the foot by changing color. Until what stage in the process can you make such a request? I've only given my initial $2500 deposit.
It should be possible but it may delay delivery. If you're ok with that then I don't see any issue. But best to speak to your dealer!

EM33RA

Emira Fan
Reaction score
100% true. It’s utter BS and they are in wayyyyyyy over their head… I actually despise they have adopted the Tesla approach by taking millions and delivering nothing. Will never buy anything with a Lotus badge again. I’ll take my Emira along with my money in future elsewhere.

mjw930

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Has your dealer actually submitted an FE order with Lotus or just have you just placed a reservation deposit? Two clues would be when was your deposit placed and has Ben converted to non-refundable.

If a real order against allocation has been placed you cannot change anything, that car will be built but it won’t go to you. If you decide you absolutely don’t want Magna then it’s unlikely you will get another chance to order an FE, that ship has sailed.