What can I expect re. the handling?

Greenblood

Reaction score
Having only had front engine rear drive cars, and never driven a mid engine car what can I expect in regards to handling?
Posts I have read mention “making the car safer for people that have not driven a mid engine cars”

I haven't driven the Emira so I can't speak to how the car drives specifically. But I've driven (and owned) several mid-engine and rear engine cars. From a day-to-day driving perspective, there won't be much of a difference and the different engine layout should be no cause for concern from a safety perspective. If you drive the car to its limit (i.e. on a track), then the weight distribution may be different than what you're accustomed to.

My last mid engine car was quite old and was known to have issues with snap-oversteer when pushed to its limit. But comparing it with a modern car like the Emira, it would be night and day. There are driving assists that are meant to make the car behave in a far more predictable manner. With the Emira specifically, I'm eager to learn more about the track package 'self-learning' assist.

Again, from a day-to-day driving perspective, you shouldn't be concerned about safety regardless of engine layout.

Balanced
A well set up Mid engined car really cannot be beat.
If set up properly you shouldn't really have to worry about any really dramatic snap lift off over steer or the like.
MR2s and things back in the 90s used to he a bit 'interesting', but things have moved on a long way since then.
And with 400bhp power oversteer won't be an issue unless you are a complete Neanderthal and running Cup 2 tyres in the wet.

Balanced
A well set up Mid engined car really cannot be beat.
If set up properly you shouldn't really have to worry about any really dramatic snap lift off over steer or the like.
MR2s and things back in the 90s used to he a bit 'interesting', but things have moved on a long way since then.
And with 400bhp power oversteer won't be an issue unless you are a complete Neanderthal and running Cup 2 tyres in the wet.
The Mk 3 MR2 was prone to snap oversteer but I found it was hugely dependent on the tyres. I've owned four of them (still own one which I'm considering having built into a race car) and of the factory-approved tyres the Yokohamas gripped very well in the dry but gave absolutely no warning or feedback before they broke traction - particularly in the wet. The Bridgestones were a different story altogether. Less out-and-out grip than the Yokohamas but much more progressive and more feedback. Up until then I really hadn't considered that tyres could make so much difference to a car's character.

But lesson learned: The Yoko-equipped MR2 only lasted 11 days... The others are fine!

The Mk 3 MR2 was prone to snap oversteer but I found it was hugely dependent on the tyres. I've owned four of them (still own one which I'm considering having built into a race car) and of the factory-approved tyres the Yokohamas gripped very well in the dry but gave absolutely no warning or feedback before they broke traction - particularly in the wet. The Bridgestones were a different story altogether. Less out-and-out grip than the Yokohamas but much more progressive and more feedback. Up until then I really hadn't considered that tyres could make so much difference to a car's character.

But lesson learned: The Yoko-equipped MR2 only lasted 11 days... The others are fine!
Yeah you tend to only do it once 😅
Immediately change underwear and then tyres 🙂

Some benefits:

Better visibility. With no engine in front of you, the seating position moves forward and the hood line drops sharply to the road.

Better noise. The engine is closer to your ears.

Better rotation. Mid-engined cars have a better polar moment of inertia, meaning turn-in will feel sharper and the cornering limits of the car are likely much higher than what you’re used to. Some more reading on this: https://decarreteres.wordpress.com/2019/04/24/chassis-engineering-polar-moment-of-inertia/

Snap oversteer does exist in any car where the weight of the engine is behind you. Some cars manage this better than others. Basically if you lift off the accelerator while turning, the rear can come around on you suddenly. I’ve pushed Emira on track, and there was a corner where I missed the entry line and made matters worse by lifting suddenly mid-turn (despite knowing well not to) and I definitely felt the rear snap like it wanted to come around on me (but it didn’t, not sure if that was traction control, my correction, or both). The sensation though can be startling if not used to a mid-engine car.

Some benefits:

Better visibility. With no engine in front of you, the seating position moves forward and the hood line drops sharply to the road.

Better noise. The engine is closer to your ears.

Better rotation. Mid-engined cars have a better polar moment of inertia, meaning turn-in will feel sharper and the cornering limits of the car are likely much higher than what you’re used to. Some more reading on this: https://decarreteres.wordpress.com/2019/04/24/chassis-engineering-polar-moment-of-inertia/

Snap oversteer does exist in any car where the weight of the engine is behind you. Some cars manage this better than others. Basically if you lift off the accelerator while turning, the rear can come around on you suddenly. I’ve pushed Emira on track, and there was a corner where I missed the entry line and made matters worse by lifting suddenly mid-turn (despite knowing well not to) and I definitely felt the rear snap like it wanted to come around on me (but it didn’t, not sure if that was traction control, my correction, or both). The sensation though can be startling if not used to a mid-engine car.
Thats great little summary.
To the OP If you haven't had a mid engine car before then a track day or even better a car handling course with skid pan be a great idea to learn how the car feels and behaves :)

Yeah, the MR2 was what I was referencing when I made remarks that the OP refers to... never owned one, but did sample it (back in the late 90s), and the sensation when lifting off is... a bit alarming. They were truly famous for just swapping ends and flying off into the scenery if not treated with respect, pretty much exactly as @Wolfram describes... grip, grip, grip, NOPE, NO GRIP! AHHHHH!

The only other mid-engine I can admit to having driven is a F430 on a track day. I was driving so far inside the envelope of its capabilities (again, not my car) that there was really no chance I was going to bring the back around by lifting off.