V6 Manual vs Automatic Transmission, reliability

zzthechampion

Reaction score
Which one should I order? I have driven briefly a manual transmission motorcycle and believe I understand the basics of a manual transmission but I have never driven a manual car. If I do get a manual I would take a class beforehand and practice so I think I would be comfortable but it would also decrease its usability as no one else in my family would be able to drive it which kind of sucks because I would like for them to also enjoy the car!

Perhaps more importantly though I am curious whether the automatic or the manual would be more reliable! I want this car to last me a long time so I would like it to be as reliable as it can be. To my understanding, I read on a post that Lotus gets their V6 from Toyota as an automatic already and then they disassemble it to make it manual. I am curious if just keeping it automatic would make it more reliable as Lotus would have to do less with the original engine to "mess it up".

I think maximizing reliability is the most important thing for me as I have no emotional attachment to driving a manual. I plan on getting a motorcycle soon so if I need that feel of "being connected to the road" maybe I can get it from my motorcycle!

I think maximizing reliability is the most important thing for me as I have no emotional attachment to driving a manual. I plan on getting a motorcycle soon so if I need that feel of "being connected to the road" maybe I can get it from my motorcycle!

Welcome to the forum @zzthechampion. For you, I'd actually recommend going with the auto then.

Both transmissions are reliable, but the manual has a clutch that an inexperienced driver would likely burn out earlier due to the learning curve. And that's a costly wear item to replace in the Emira ($5-10k). I wouldn't recommend a $100k+ exotic sports car as a first manual transmission vehicle to learn on.

FWIW, the manual trans in the Emira is an Aisin manual transmission from the start and was never "disassembled it to make it manual." Lotus does upgrade the clutch and flywheel and I've heard mixed reports about them changing and cryo treating the gears.

Thanks!

I see! I definitely would practice on another car for a while with an instructor before I jumped in the Emira but I think if they are both reliable and my family would be able to use it as well that is probably a big enough plus for me to go for the auto.
Welcome to the forum @zzthechampion. For you, I'd actually recommend going with the auto then.

Both transmissions are reliable, but the manual has a clutch that an inexperienced driver would likely burn out earlier due to the learning curve. And that's a costly wear item to replace in the Emira ($5-10k). I wouldn't recommend a $100k+ exotic sports car as a first manual transmission vehicle to learn on.

FWIW, the manual trans in the Emira is an Aisin manual transmission from the start and was never "disassembled it to make it manual." Lotus does upgrade the clutch and flywheel and I've heard mixed reports about them changing and cryo treating the gears.

Welcome to the forum and good luck choosing the right spec.

JUBU state when carrying out performance upgrades the V6 auto can go to 450hp max and there are no options to upgrade. On the manual they state 500hp on a standard gearbox and they have option for upgraded and twin plate clutches, lightweight flywheels, better LSDs and for the hardcore even track compatible gearbox cooling systems. If you are not looking to mod your can in the future at least you know they are good for 450/500 respectively.
I’m not an auto hater, having had DSG cars for the last 10 years and I understand there are owners who need to choose automatic for personal reasons. I chose manual because I like the interactive driving and the fact there are no more manual mid engine cars being built so hopefully collectable.

Welcome to the forum and good luck choosing the right spec.

JUBU state when carrying out performance upgrades the V6 auto can go to 450hp max and there are no options to upgrade. On the manual they state 500hp on a standard gearbox and they have option for upgraded and twin plate clutches, lightweight flywheels, better LSDs and for the hardcore even track compatible gearbox cooling systems. If you are not looking to mod your can in the future at least you know they are good for 450/500 respectively.
I’m not an auto hater, having had DSG cars for the last 10 years and I understand there are owners who need to choose automatic for personal reasons. I chose manual because I like the interactive driving and the fact there are no more manual mid engine cars being built so hopefully collectable.
I appreciate the comment! I do not think I would be looking for performance upgrades at least in the near future! I really am not a track guy nor do I particularly have the desire to become one! It does sound really fun! I think I am leaning more and more towards automatic but if the production of the automatic will take longer, I think Auto might be best for me especially since I want to share the fun with my parents and family!

I am 80 years old and have driven my whole life only manual shifted cars.........(3,4,5 and 6 gears).........incl. a 1990 5 sp. Lotus Esprit Turbo SE.
2 Years ago I purchased the last in the Netherlands available new Evora GT 410 Sport IPS with an automatic gearbox.
I had no choice because this was the latest GT 410 Sport.........
Before the purchase I had mixed feelings about an auto but the fact that with good maintenance it is a keeper whereas the clutch of the manual gearbox of the Evora generally lasts approx. 30-60.000 kms and replacement costs € 10.000,-
I have driven a couple of thousand miles now and I am very happy with the performance, smoothness and (paddle/auto) shifting of the auto of the Evora which principally is the same as of the Emira.

1706897175742.jpeg

1706897331094.jpeg

Last edited:
I am 80 years old and have driven my whole life only manual shifted cars.........(3,4,5 and 6 gears).........incl. a 1990 5 sp. Lotus Esprit Turbo SE.
2 Years ago I purchased the last in the Netherlands available new Evora GT 410 Sport IPS with an automatic gearbox.
I had no choice because this was the latest GT 410 Sport.........
Before the purchase I had mixed feelings about an auto but the fact that with good maintenance it is a keeper whereas the clutch of the manual gearbox of the Evora generally lasts approx. 30-60.000 kms and replacement costs € 10.000,-
I have driven a couple of thousand miles now and I am very happy with the performance, smoothness and paddle/auto) shifting of the auto of the Evora which principally is the same as of the Emira.

View attachment 36707

View attachment 36708

This is great and inspiring to read! I hope I'll be enjoying sports cars well into my 80s as well.

I drove my V6 Exige with Auto trans - loved it - no problems with it all and I covered 107,000km - my Emira has Auto - for me its the best option - but I fully understand people who want the manual - no right or wrong choice. It a personal decision.
It’s great to see you drove your Exige that many miles and it wasn’t sat in the garage collecting dust because the owner wanted to keep the miles low.
You hit the nail on the head and it’s whatever suits the owner. I’m happy with manual mainly to have a change from DSG.

Last edited:
I had an Evora GT 410 with a manual transmission. My Daily has DSG, so switching to a manual transmission on the Evora took a bit of getting used to at first... I bought my EMIRA with an automatic... and I have to say that the automatic transmission works very well.
The automatic downshift alone when you brake lightly and roll into a traffic light makes an extremely good sound.
It's difficult to get that done so quickly with a manual.
Unfortunately, 5th gear and especially 6th gear have a very long gear ratio. In addition, it takes a little longer to reach the possible maximum speed... up to about 250km/h it's okay, then it seems to take longer...
a

30 to 60 thousand km?

Yeah i don’t think so.
Based on what owners have said on their own cars do we have any data for the Exige V6 and if that was a track car or daily driver?

30k doesn't sound very good to me and I hope that isn't the case. I have looked into the fitting cost and easily found a company that could do it for half the price. Hopefully if I get to go down the JUBU route I would swap the clutch at the same time as the engine is out to save any labour cost and put an uprated clutch in.

Based on what owners have said on their own cars do we have any data for the Exige V6 and if that was a track car or daily driver?

30k doesn't sound very good to me and I hope that isn't the case. I have looked into the fitting cost and easily found a company that could do it for half the price. Hopefully if I get to go down the JUBU route I would swap the clutch at the same time as the engine is out to save any labour cost and put an uprated clutch in.

You don’t need to worry about this, you’ll get the same kind of life out of the Emira clutch as you would any other manual transmission.

YMMV based on your skill level. If your clutch lasts less than 30-60k km, the problem exists between the seat and the pedals.

Which one should I order? I have driven briefly a manual transmission motorcycle and believe I understand the basics of a manual transmission but I have never driven a manual car. If I do get a manual I would take a class beforehand and practice so I think I would be comfortable but it would also decrease its usability as no one else in my family would be able to drive it which kind of sucks because I would like for them to also enjoy the car!

Perhaps more importantly though I am curious whether the automatic or the manual would be more reliable! I want this car to last me a long time so I would like it to be as reliable as it can be. To my understanding, I read on a post that Lotus gets their V6 from Toyota as an automatic already and then they disassemble it to make it manual. I am curious if just keeping it automatic would make it more reliable as Lotus would have to do less with the original engine to "mess it up".

My first (and only) motorcycle ride included getting hit by a car and being 'really connected to the road.'
It's 4 wheels for me, with a mid-engine configuration.
The Lotus experience? If you know, you know.

You don’t need to worry about this, you’ll get the same kind of life out of the Emira clutch as you would any other manual transmission.

YMMV based on your skill level. If your clutch lasts less than 30-60k km, the problem exists between the seat and the pedals.
That’s good to hear kitkat and I thought it was strange no ine had been saying about this before.

I’ve been on a few forums and there are plenty of owners who have got 90k km without a clutch change.
Lots of comments regarding the 400 clutch and later is better which I believe the Emira is fitted with the same as the latest 430.
I imagine if you track it a lot or do lots of high revving pull offs from stand still it will wear out quicker. One guy had a deal for £2500 for the labour.
Here’s one of the links to an Evora poll: