• The June 2024 Lotus Emira of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 June 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

❓ QUESTION What should I look out for during delivery?

KaZe

Reaction score
Would love to get some advice from everyone that has picked up their cars! I should be taking delivery in a couple of weeks and want to make sure I’m thorough during my initial inspection.

I’ve seen people recommend going as far as bringing a paint inspection light to go over the whole car. I understand the paint is soft, so would you recommend doing something like this? What would you consider as too “bad” where you wouldn’t take delivery? Bubbling? I’m expecting the car to arrive with swirls and other factory flaws.

What else should I look out for? I’m from Canada if that makes a difference.

Would love to get some advice from everyone that has picked up their cars! I should be taking delivery in a couple of weeks and want to make sure I’m thorough during my initial inspection.

I’ve seen people recommend going as far as bringing a paint inspection light to go over the whole car. I understand the paint is soft, so would you recommend doing something like this? What would you consider as too “bad” where you wouldn’t take delivery? Bubbling? I’m expecting the car to arrive with swirls and other factory flaws.

Congratulations! Check this thread. Applies to Canadian or American cars:
Pre-Delivery Checklist

All modern paints are much less durable than years ago- complying with environmental issues required reformulation . That said, check your paint VERY carefully. Ours had a large “bullseye” in the clear coat on the top of one fender, an obvious factory produced flaw. What I didn’t find until I got the car home to really clean the paint before Xpel application was a long cut in the paint paralleling the rear contour of the wheel opening in the opposite fender. Then I found a similar cut in the paint on the leading edge of the opposite side rear fender. Both looked like they were induced by a razor knife. I presume somebody was cutting off the shipping plastic without much care. Lotus refused to cover this but our dealer stepped in and had the flaws fixed( including removing and repainting the scratched fender). Also the seats have a plastic piece on the outside of the lower portion of the seat base bolster that can dig into the leather when you get in and out of the car- the leather is pinched between the plastic and your leg damaging the leather. Some cars are coming from the dealer with this problem already started, I noticed it on our car at 580 miles ( on both seats) some people have had seats replaced, I still have crickets from lotus. Make sure everything works as these cars are brilliantly designed, but poorly conceived. If any bubbles in the paint / bodywork are in evidence or something (AC) doesn’t function don’t accept the car, in my experience the current company Lotus is much less responsive to flaws than in years past. Owning an Emira is a little like dating a gorgeous woman, only to find out she’s a Meth head and has a long police record…

Congratulations! Check this thread. Applies to Canadian or American cars:
Pre-Delivery Checklist
thanks for pointing me in the right direction! Fantastic checklist

All modern paints are much less durable than years ago- complying with environmental issues required reformulation . That said, check your paint VERY carefully. Ours had a large “bullseye” in the clear coat on the top of one fender, an obvious factory produced flaw. What I didn’t find until I got the car home to really clean the paint before Xpel application was a long cut in the paint paralleling the rear contour of the wheel opening in the opposite fender. Then I found a similar cut in the paint on the leading edge of the opposite side rear fender. Both looked like they were induced by a razor knife. I presume somebody was cutting off the shipping plastic without much care. Lotus refused to cover this but our dealer stepped in and had the flaws fixed( including removing and repainting the scratched fender). Also the seats have a plastic piece on the outside of the lower portion of the seat base bolster that can dig into the leather when you get in and out of the car- the leather is pinched between the plastic and your leg damaging the leather. Some cars are coming from the dealer with this problem already started, I noticed it on our car at 580 miles ( on both seats) some people have had seats replaced, I still have crickets from lotus. Make sure everything works as these cars are brilliantly designed, but poorly conceived. If any bubbles in the paint / bodywork are in evidence or something (AC) doesn’t function don’t accept the car, in my experience the current company Lotus is much less responsive to flaws than in years past. Owning an Emira is a little like dating a gorgeous woman, only to find out she’s a Meth head and has a long police record…
Thank you for your chilling story…I will definitely pay attention to the paint. I’m already concerned about how much paint correction I’ll have to do after delivery.

I believe members in this forum have found a fairly easy solution to the seat creasing, but it shouldn’t be happening either way. Do you know if the replacement seats have the issue resolved? I’d imagine Lotus hasn’t dealt with the root cause. I’d hate to spot it on my seats at the dealer and have to get replacements just for it to be damaged inevitably anyways.

thanks for pointing me in the right direction! Fantastic checklist

Thank you for your chilling story…I will definitely pay attention to the paint. I’m already concerned about how much paint correction I’ll have to do after delivery.

I believe members in this forum have found a fairly easy solution to the seat creasing, but it shouldn’t be happening either way. Do you know if the replacement seats have the issue resolved? I’d imagine Lotus hasn’t dealt with the root cause. I’d hate to spot it on my seats at the dealer and have to get replacements just for it to be damaged inevitably anyways.
I was told through the grapevine that lotus intends to round off the edge of the plastic side piece . Don’t know if it’s actually happening.

Back