• The June 2024 Lotus Emira of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 June 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

USA/Canada Delivery Thread

This is going to be incredibly specific, but has anyone experienced buying a new car then moving to a new state in 1-2 months?

My current research tells me I need to pay sales tax and registration on the state I take delivery on (CA) then I have to pay use tax and registration on the state I'm moving to (WA). Does that seem about right? Anything I'm missing?
Most states in my experience will charge you sales tax on a vehicle if you move within the first 6 months of ownership. You can get around this if you keep the initial state's registration for 6 months, so all you have to pay is registration in the new state. That's a risk because you're typically required to update your plates long before that legally speaking, unless you're military. It gets complicated because the laws vary with each state, but most will only charge you the difference in tax. WA and CA have similar sales tax rates, WA probably a little more since they don't have income tax, especially if you're moving near Seattle/Bellevue. It's around 10.2% if I remember correctly.

Last edited:
Here in Canada, Hagerty force my 18 year old from occasional driver on one our two cars to a primary driver on my collector car, a $9000 incremental premium on a 32 year old car with a value of $20k. I’m not happy with hagerty. I thought collector or not daily driven cars would get us around these silly rules. I will have to cancel my deposit on the Lotus and give up my dream until my kids are 25 and have their own policy.
I don't know if you have this option in Canada, but if your collector car isn't being driven, you can sometimes get a car insured for storage but not to be driven. My elderly dad did that with his Mercedes since he wasn't driving it any longer. This was in Indiana. And it's just an email to the insurance broker to switch it to a road-going coverage when needed.

Hope you can sort it out. If not, that's a real shame that bureaucracy is stymying your dream of owning an Emira.

Here in Canada, Hagerty force my 18 year old from occasional driver on one our two cars to a primary driver on my collector car, a $9000 incremental premium on a 32 year old car with a value of $20k. I’m not happy with hagerty. I thought collector or not daily driven cars would get us around these silly rules. I will have to cancel my deposit on the Lotus and give up my dream until my kids are 25 and have their own policy.
Surely there are ways around this? Maybe put the keys in a biometric safe and document it for them? That's an insane amount of money.

I don't know if this is a record, but I picked up my Emira Friday and drove 868 miles within the first 24 hours...all flawless! Almost knocked out the entire break-in period. Don't worry, I researched and followed proper break-in process, so what would normally be a 12-hour trip actually took 14 hours.

View attachment 44397
View attachment 44398View attachment 44407

What was your method? My drive home next week will be about 1,000 miles. I can take my time, was going to meander the B-roads but curious what highway methods you stuck to.

What was your method? My drive home next week will be about 1,000 miles. I can take my time, was going to meander the B-roads but curious what highway methods you stuck to.
There is a great thread about proper break-in procedures that I reviewed and suggest you do also: https://www.emiraforum.com/threads/proper-engine-break-in.3052/#post-137200

Then it boils down to basically this. Keep it under 4,000 RPM and in Tour mode. Vary RPM regularly...in other words don't set it at a constant speed on cruise for two hours. This meant alternating highway speed and shifting between 4th, 5th and 6th gears every 10 or 15 minutes at minimum. Often there was enough traffic that I was driving manually and so things varied naturally.

Hope this helps and good luck! Sounds like you'll have a more enjoyable drive than I did. Unfortunately, due to other commitments and when my car arrived, I didn't have that luxury.

Can someone tell me if this is normal?

My car vibrates more when I turn the AC on at complete stop. It bothers me to the point where I do not want to turn the AC even when it's close to 90 in socal.

My car vibrates more when I turn the AC on at complete stop. It bothers me to the point where I do not want to turn the AC even when it's close to 90 in socal.
I think it's normal. Mine does, sometimes worse than others. I either flip it to track to up the idle, or just give it a tiny bit of throttle. At 1k, there is 0 vibration.

Last edited:

Yes it's normal. When you turn on the AC the engine is now driving the compressor too which adds load to the engine. It's like you walking along carrying a 25 lb bag and suddenly somebody drops another 25 lb bag on top of it. As soon as you're moving the vibration will stop.

So turning on AC vibrates car? In what world is that normal? I have literally never felt that in any vehicle. Any other “normal” things the car has that most cars don’t? LOL! The car is absolutely beautiful but some of these issues people are pointing out are concerning. I must seriously consider the extended warranty.

So turning on AC vibrates car? In what world is that normal? I have literally never felt that in any vehicle. Any other “normal” things the car has that most cars don’t? LOL! The car is absolutely beautiful but some of these issues people are pointing out are concerning. I must seriously consider the extended warranty.
My guess is has firmer engine mounts than the Camry.

Depends on the car and the engine. On small displacement engines that don't have tons of torque, you're more likely to feel the vibration when the AC compressor is engaged, but only if you're sitting still at idle. The Emira has surprisingly good AC, which mean's they didn't put a cheap low capacity system in it.

It used to be that American cars had these fantastic refrigeration units in their cars, and European cars had weak to moderate AC because of the difference in the torque of American V8's vs the smaller 4's and 6's of European cars. There's not so much of a difference now. The AC units today are much more efficient than they used to be, and cars have more power and torque than they used to. It's not a huge difference, but I can feel and slightly hear the change in idle sound when I turn on the AC. Once the car's moving, you don't notice a thing.

I wonder why they don't just program it to I'll the idle fifty rpm or whatever is needed. They do it with airplanes, why not cars?

There is a great thread about proper break-in procedures that I reviewed and suggest you do also: https://www.emiraforum.com/threads/proper-engine-break-in.3052/#post-137200

Then it boils down to basically this. Keep it under 4,000 RPM and in Tour mode. Vary RPM regularly...in other words don't set it at a constant speed on cruise for two hours. This meant alternating highway speed and shifting between 4th, 5th and 6th gears every 10 or 15 minutes at minimum. Often there was enough traffic that I was driving manually and so things varied naturally.

Hope this helps and good luck! Sounds like you'll have a more enjoyable drive than I did. Unfortunately, due to other commitments and when my car arrived, I didn't have that luxury.
Thank you. I had read that thread, was just curious about your actual experience applying it over such a long distance. I’ll probably meander the B-roads most of the way.

Thank you. I had read that thread, was just curious about your actual experience applying it over such a long distance. I’ll probably meander the B-roads most of the way.
Just take an exit ramp every ten to fifteen minutes and then get right back on the highway.

Just take an exit ramp every ten to fifteen minutes and then get right back on the highway.
I don't think that would follow the spirit of a break-in. The point is to spend an equal amount of time at all engine speeds below 4k rpm. Doing what you described would still have you sitting at near constant rpm 99% of the drive. How much of this really makes any difference is anyone's guess (maybe it's all negligible), but if I'm making the effort to do a break-in, might as well do it as proper I can.

Be careful during flu season. Car might get sick and start coughing, consume more fuel, and only run 200hp.

I don't think that would follow the spirit of a break-in. The point is to spend an equal amount of time at all engine speeds below 4k rpm. Doing what you described would still have you sitting at near constant rpm 99% of the drive. How much of this really makes any difference is anyone's guess (maybe it's all negligible), but if I'm making the effort to do a break-in, might as well do it as proper I can.
Then take every exit? Bonus: you'll get it done sooner.

I don’t have 1000 miles to cover on my drive home, but I do have a little over 200. My plan is to use Google Maps and select “avoid highways” in the options. It adds about 2 hours of drive time to an already 3 hour drive, but it allows for a lot of travel on surface streets with little towns in between to vary the RPMs. Might be more fun than the highway too.

I don’t have 1000 miles to cover on my drive home, but I do have a little over 200. My plan is to use Google Maps and select “avoid highways” in the options. It adds about 2 hours of drive time to an already 3 hour drive, but it allows for a lot of travel on surface streets with little towns in between to vary the RPMs. Might be more fun than the highway too.

I plan on doing this too. tho I may change my mind halfway thru. 4 hours is about my driving limit when I start to dislike it, normally. maybe with the lotus it will be different. i still havent driven one myself