Proper Engine Break-in

Lowtush

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Savagegeese on YouTube just released this engine break-in video, which I found informative and entertaining. Obviously, the video is not specific to the Emira; however, it did cause my brain to wrinkle a bit. Allow me to elaborate:

The host mentions that an engine's break-in procedure varies in its method of execution depending on whether the motor in question is a mass-produced engine, or, a more specialized performance-oriented engine.

I found myself a bit confounded in that the Emira's engine is, of course, derived from a mass-produced Toyota motor - - but - - is obviously altered to be a performance-oriented motor. It's almost like if someone asked you if you'd prefer a Coke or a Pepsi and you simply responded "yes!"

Watch the video from Savagegeese and give me your thoughts! Which procedure is right?!

YouTube Link

I know the Emira's owner's manual says not to exceed 4K RPM (or so) for 1,000 miles... But it doesn't really specify how you drive those miles... Right?

I'm not trying to start any fights here... Just a bit of late-Friday-night pondering.

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I follow similar break-in procedures as they do — varying load and no thermal shock for 200 miles — change engine oil, engine oil filter, transmission fluids, differential fluids.

Then drive it like you mean to drive it.

Emirahep

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Savagegeese on YouTube just released this engine break-in video, which I found informative and entertaining. Obviously, the video is not specific to the Emira; however, it did cause my brain to wrinkle a bit. Allow me to elaborate:

The host mentions that an engine's break-in procedure varies in its method of execution depending on whether the motor in question is a mass-produced engine, or, a more specialized performance-oriented engine.

I found myself a bit confounded in that the Emira's engine is, of course, derived from a mass-produced Toyota motor - - but - - is obviously altered to be a performance-oriented motor. It's almost like if someone asked you if you'd prefer a Coke or a Pepsi and you simply responded "yes!"

Watch the video from Savagegeese and give me your thoughts! Which procedure is right?!

YouTube Link

I know the Emira's owner's manual says not to exceed 4K RPM (or so) for 1,000 miles... But it doesn't really specify how you drive those miles... Right?

I'm not trying to start any fights here... Just a bit of late-Friday-night pondering.
At the factory handover, Scott gave the following tips on running in;

Don’t go over 4000 for first 500 miles

Don’t get on motorway and do very long distances at same rpm - vary speed or gears to allow engine to bed in at different revs

He suggested brief excursions above 4000 as the miles climb over 500 and up to 1000 - so that when you reach 1000 and start revving above 4000 it is not the very first time the engine has been there

Finally he said that most of the running in was for the gearbox and supercharger - not the Toyota V6 itself.

Last edited:

eclat2emira

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
At the factory handover, Scott gave the following tips on running in;

Don’t go over 4000 for first 500 miles

Don’t get on motorway and do very long distances at same rpm - vary speed or gears to allow engine ti bed in at different revs

He suggested brief excursions above 4000 as the miles climb over 500 and up to 1000 - so that when you reach 1000 and start revving above 4000 it is not the very first time the engine has been there

Finally he said that most of the running in was for the gearbox and supercharger - not the Toyota V6 itself.
Yes, that's the same brief Scott gave our group, with the addition of 500rpm per 100 miles after you've done 500, so 4500rpm after 500 miles, 5000rpm after 600 miles, etc. Sounds like a well reasoned approach.

Wolverine

Reaction score
Don't understand why Lotus make us do this when other manufacturers of high-performance cars don't require it and won't impact warranty either.

Carbuilder

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Don't understand why Lotus make us do this when other manufacturers of high-performance cars don't require it and won't impact warranty either.
Which manufacturer doesn't require a break-in? All the ones I've seen specify a break-in right in the owners manual.

Fido

Reaction score
Emira Status
Waiting to order
Engine manufacture is sufficiently tight toleranced nowadays that a running-in period is not essential and won’t necessarily deliver any benefits. However, most enthusiastic owners will want to be as sympathetic as they can and avoid anything that might impair performance in the long run. Similarly, modern synthetic oils perform much more consistently and don’t degrade in the same way as older oils did and so shouldn’t need changing early. A bit of patience and the cost of an oil change is a small price to pay for a little peace of mind However.

KAR120C

Get off my lawn!
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Engine manufacture is sufficiently tight toleranced nowadays that a running-in period is not essential and won’t necessarily deliver any benefits. However, most enthusiastic owners will want to be as sympathetic as they can and avoid anything that might impair performance in the long run. Similarly, modern synthetic oils perform much more consistently and don’t degrade in the same way as older oils did and so shouldn’t need changing early. A bit of patience and the cost of an oil change is a small price to pay for a little peace of mind However.
Both my BMW M2C and X3 have clear break in procedures in the manual. The M2C was especially specific on dos and dont’s.

Which manufacturers don’t have engine break requirements anymore?

forest

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
This is a Ferrari manual, but it says it needs breaking-in.
Another page says to avoid hard braking for up to 300 km after replacing new pads in order to stabilize the brake pads correctly.
Ferrari.jpg

Fido

Reaction score
Emira Status
Waiting to order
I wouldn’t call that a running-in procedure, really it’s saying “don’t abuse the engine, while it beds itself in”

vision

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Hi, it is really difficult to hold it below 4K, also my car has some cosmetic issues to be resolved but engine management light came on after 80 miles on a cold start up. I tend to switch direct to track could this be the issue

Carbuilder

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Ferrari, Porche, Corvette....they all specify some sort of break-in procedure. No matter what tolerances or care go into building an engine, there are always parts that run against mating parts that need to bed in. Much better to do this slowly over time than force it quickly.

Magicman

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Yes, that's the same brief Scott gave our group, with the addition of 500rpm per 100 miles after you've done 500, so 4500rpm after 500 miles, 5000rpm after 600 miles, etc. Sounds like a well reasoned approach.
Again what scott told me and ive followed it, on 900mls now so had the foray up to 6k. There's a definite ramp up in volume and hardening of the tone past 5k