First Edition vs Base Spec

lotusnewb

Reaction score
Hey all
I was looking for clarification on something. I have a deposit on a FE in Canadsa made January 2022. It's my understanding that I'm still in que for a FE vehicle. Based on the delays, I suspect I won't be placing an order until late 2023 if I'm lucky, for a 2024 delivery. My question is, if, by the time my order is placed, orders are also being taken on the base model, would I be able to place an order with a base configuration instead?

Pops68

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey all
I was looking for clarification on something. I have a deposit on a FE in Canadsa made January 2022. It's my understanding that I'm still in que for a FE vehicle. Based on the delays, I suspect I won't be placing an order until late 2023 if I'm lucky, for a 2024 delivery. My question is, if, by the time my order is placed, orders are also being taken on the base model, would I be able to place an order with a base configuration instead?
You're way ahead of me, I put my deposit down at the beginning of Sept. and yeah I was told all the FE's are done. It's only base from here out. Which may not be a bad thing for 2 reasons: first you don't have the ugly plaque on the dash..:) and 2nd if you don't fully option the car out it might actually be less expensive than the FE!! Also these lucky chaps that get their cars before us will serve as a test bed where the bugs can be found and fixed..:)

IH8theMavs

Reaction score
You're way ahead of me, I put my deposit down at the beginning of Sept. and yeah I was told all the FE's are done. It's only base from here out. Which may not be a bad thing for 2 reasons: first you don't have the ugly plaque on the dash..:) and 2nd if you don't fully option the car out it might actually be less expensive than the FE!! Also these lucky chaps that get their cars before us will serve as a test bed where the bugs can be found and fixed..:)
Who buys a car like this to save a few bucks on a configuration option? I’m loading up FE or not.

Jonhklee

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
BE release will be around July 2023 from Lotus CS. Hardly any one in that queue from what I was told.

SmallerBaller

Emira Fan
Reaction score
BE release will be around July 2023 from Lotus CS. Hardly any one in that queue from what I was told.
Customer service told you this? My dealer told me that in January they would be taking v6 BE orders during my test drive, but he may not know the facts and that could be old news from 1.5 months ago. If I am waiting another 8 months just to know the price, I am not going to be a happy camper. That would be almost a year and a half since my deposit without even knowing what options are available or cost. Surely they couldnt expect people to hang on for that long without knowing anything...

If I lived in Europe where GT4 prices were comparable, this would be a no-brainer at this point.

Jonhklee

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Customer service told you this? My dealer told me that in January they would be taking v6 BE orders during my test drive, but he may not know the facts and that could be old news from 1.5 months ago. If I am waiting another 8 months just to know the price, I am not going to be a happy camper. That would be almost a year and a half since my deposit without even knowing what options are available or cost. Surely they couldnt expect people to hang on for that long without knowing anything...

If I lived in Europe where GT4 prices were comparable, this would be a no-brainer at this point.
Oh I’m a i4 depositer, so they might be referring to i4 BE. Are we sure there’s a V6 BE?

SmallerBaller

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Oh I’m a i4 depositer, so they might be referring to i4 BE. Are we sure there’s a V6 BE?
Okay thank goodness, I will hold out hope for January still then. There better be a v6 BE, or I have been sitting here for no reason and my dealer went on vacation with my deposit :LOL: But yes, many people on here are in line for a v6 base!

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Yes, there is a V6 BE. I believe specs and options prices are going to be released for both V6 and i4 at the same time and order books will open together.

At least that was the plan for the UK at Goodwood back in June. It could have completely changed since then.

SmallerBaller

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Yes, there is a V6 BE. I believe specs and options prices are going to be released for both V6 and i4 at the same time and order books will open together.

At least that was the plan for the UK at Goodwood back in June. It could have completely changed since then.
V6 BE and i4 FE at the same time, you mean? (I hope)

Pops68

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Who buys a car like this to save a few bucks on a configuration option? I’m loading up FE or not.
Pretty sure you missed the intent of my comment. If money was a problem we wouldn't be buying these toys. But only a fool would pass on an opportunity to get the same thing for less money.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
V6 BE and i4 FE at the same time, you mean? (I hope)
No, the production sequence was intended to be V6 FE then i4 FE then Base Edition V6 & i4. There would have been overlap, so i4FE would have started before V6 FE finished and BE would have started before FE finished.

But I think that will change due to the delays and regional reallocations. I don’t think we’ll get a clear picture of the revised timings until mid Q1 next year. I’m expecting it to be announced when they publish the BE options pricing.

SmallerBaller

Emira Fan
Reaction score
No, the production sequence was intended to be V6 FE then i4 FE then Base Edition V6 & i4. There would have been overlap, so i4FE would have started before V6 FE finished and BE would have started before FE finished.

But I think that will change due to the delays and regional reallocations. I don’t think we’ll get a clear picture of the revised timings until mid Q1 next year. I’m expecting it to be announced when they publish the BE options pricing.
You would think after some people having a deposit for 2-3 years already, we might at least know what YEAR our cars are getting to us. This is ridiculous. If I was a conspiracy theorist, I'd say it almost seems intentional! I placed a deposit when I was 25 years old, I don't really want to wait until I am 28 to have a car. Those are 3 valuable, young(ish) years I could have been enjoying something else. Let's hope for good (or at least accurate) news in Q1 '23

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
I believe the US production plan shared in August may still be somewhat applicable despite some additional delays. After getting the initial batch of UK and EU cars out, with some preferential fast-tracking of Chinese cars, they are going to be shifting the focus to the 700 or so US/Canada FE cars in Q1/Q2 of 2023. I'm under the impression that Lotus has only recently completely locked in all US/Canada FE orders, or may still be in the process of doing so. They will only release base car configuration information and pricing after all FE orders are locked so as to avoid cancellations. So I'm thinking Q1 of 2023, we should see the base car configuration come on line.

After the 700 NA cars are built, they are likely to continue with a mixture of FE cars for other regions of the world, and base cars for the US/Canada, because there is a ton of 2021 deposit holders that did not get an FE spot. After that demand is satisfied, which may be towards the end of 2023, they will then shift back to producing cars for UK orders, which is why we see so many UK customers with 2022 deposits getting the email that they are not going to see a car until 2024.

The more I think about it, the more it seems to make sense that they would produce cars batched by region due to different regulatory requirements.

IH8theMavs

Reaction score
Eh, some people prefer the lightweight poverty spec and use the saved funds to upgrade with aftermarket options or spend it on track time and pads/tires.
If u wanna track it get a GT 4

v6 BE pricing is comparable to the FE so don’t freak. They definitely have more than a few deposits for this in USA. Into the hundred at my dealership alone.

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
Tracking a work of art like this absolutely ruins it.

Some might say keeping an exotic sportscar in the garage and never actually driving it as intended ruins it.

I for one, will be occasionally taking my Emira to the track and enjoying it's full potential (or at least to the extent of my driver skill). It's what these cars were built for and part of my enjoyment! I love detailing and keeping my cars pristine, but they are made to be driven and driven hard!

Not tracking a Lotus is like having a super model wife and not f.... well, you know what I'm saying. ;)