Thoughts on modifications

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
I mod all my cars. Truthfully, I didn't want or expect to mod my first $100k+ exotic sports car. But here I am looking at exhaust mods, tunes, springs, etc. I guess it's just part of the game! :cool: I'm sure the majority of owners will be satisfied with the Emira as it is right from the factory, but a lot of us enthusiasts will likely enhance it a bit one way or another.
Wanting to mod is one of those things that doesn't seem to matter what the price of the vehicle is. Ferrari, Lambo, etc. owners mod their cars too. It's an innate desire to make it 'your own'.

My first mod if you want to call it that, will be to replace all the oils at the 1000 mile mark, as in engine, trans and diff. I'm going to put in the most exotic super slippery gear oils I can find that will be appropriate. I've already started researching that.

In addition, I'm considering checking to see what kind of grease is on the wheel hubs to see how much resistance it has. My goal is to reduce rolling resistance and drivetrain loss. Manufacturers typically don't spend the money to put the expensive stuff on mass produced cars, so there can be some performance gains there without having any impact on the warranty. I'll know in the first 1,000 miles how the car feels when it's rolling.

Something else I've thought about as to why some people feel the car is lacking in excitement, is it might have something to do with the size of the wheels. I was really surprised when the Emira was rolled out that Russell chose to put 20" wheels on it. I would have thought 19's at the most. Acceleration, slow-down, and direction change performance has a lot to do with wheel weight and size. The bigger the wheel, the more leisurely the performance. You basically have 4 spinning gyroscopes out there who inherently resist movement. I would be curious to know how much of a difference an 18" wheel would make in the feeling of liveliness in the Emira.

I haven't actually driven an Emira yet, so I don't have a baseline feel for what it's like as-is, but I'm looking forward to seeing what it can do. I'm also planning on doing a baseline dyno run stock, before changing anything, then another dyno after the oil changes for a comparison.

OP
Eagle7

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Pro tip, oil changes are not mods.
Even more pro tip, read carefully: "My first mod if you want to call it that..."

A mod can be anything as simple as changing the air filter, to upgrades to major components and/or systems. Anytime you replace a factory anything with something that's an upgrade, that 'can' be considered a mod, even if it's just something simple.

Hell4Leather

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I’m holding out slim hope that the Evija doors will be an upcoming option. I do love the McLaren/Lambo door look.

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm also planning on doing a baseline dyno run stock, before changing anything, then another dyno after the oil changes for a comparison.

Nice! Do you have a local tuner shop you're planning to take it to? If so, what kind of dyno do they have?

DaaS

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I think the lack of the excitement is due to the overall refinements made to the Emira. It's the same thing people say about older vs newer 911s, and why some still prefer an aging Cayman.

I don't think the Emira sounds bad at all stock, but IMO you can probably gain excitement by modifying the exhaust (3rd cat delete). I think an exhaust mod will bring more excitement per dollar than installing smaller wheels. For reference, Evora has 19/20 and I don't think it lacks any excitement.

lion shf

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
I think the lack of the excitement is due to the overall refinements made to the Emira. It's the same thing people say about older vs newer 911s, and why some still prefer an aging Cayman.

I don't think the Emira sounds bad at all stock, but IMO you can probably gain excitement by modifying the exhaust (3rd cat delete). I think an exhaust mod will bring more excitement per dollar than installing smaller wheels. For reference, Evora has 19/20 and I don't think it lacks any excitement.
Very interesting point about the “fat” 992. It will be interesting if Emira V6 manual is less flaccid to drive than a manual 992 T. What a fantastic magazine article comparo idea. You pit the two cars head to head but then also pit 430gt v Emira and 997s v 992 T and talk about the two legendary icons and how they got here, and did they do good.
Remember, the great Emira test drive thread was my idea.

Last edited:
OP
Eagle7

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Nice! Do you have a local tuner shop you're planning to take it to? If so, what kind of dyno do they have?
Not yet. That's part of the research I'm going to do, is find a good shop to get the dyno runs.

Markc

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Wanting to mod is one of those things that doesn't seem to matter what the price of the vehicle is. Ferrari, Lambo, etc. owners mod their cars too. It's an innate desire to make it 'your own'.

My first mod if you want to call it that, will be to replace all the oils at the 1000 mile mark, as in engine, trans and diff. I'm going to put in the most exotic super slippery gear oils I can find that will be appropriate. I've already started researching that.

In addition, I'm considering checking to see what kind of grease is on the wheel hubs to see how much resistance it has. My goal is to reduce rolling resistance and drivetrain loss. Manufacturers typically don't spend the money to put the expensive stuff on mass produced cars, so there can be some performance gains there without having any impact on the warranty. I'll know in the first 1,000 miles how the car feels when it's rolling.

Something else I've thought about as to why some people feel the car is lacking in excitement, is it might have something to do with the size of the wheels. I was really surprised when the Emira was rolled out that Russell chose to put 20" wheels on it. I would have thought 19's at the most. Acceleration, slow-down, and direction change performance has a lot to do with wheel weight and size. The bigger the wheel, the more leisurely the performance. You basically have 4 spinning gyroscopes out there who inherently resist movement. I would be curious to know how much of a difference an 18" wheel would make in the feeling of liveliness in the Emira.

I haven't actually driven an Emira yet, so I don't have a baseline feel for what it's like as-is, but I'm looking forward to seeing what it can do. I'm also planning on doing a baseline dyno run stock, before changing anything, then another dyno after the oil changes for a comparison.
If I’m not allowed to change the gear knob over myself without affecting my warranty, I doubt you will be allowed to change the oil for anything other than the same stuff Lotus use.

OP
Eagle7

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
If I’m not allowed to change the gear knob over myself without affecting my warranty, I doubt you will be allowed to change the oil for anything other than the same stuff Lotus use.
Oil changes are something customers are able to do without voiding a warranty. As long as the oils used meet or exceed the factory requirements, there won't be a problem. Whatever oils I finally decide on, will exceed the factory requirements, otherwise there wouldn't be any need to use anything other than the factory oils.

A gear knob isn't something that's normally considered a user-serviceable part, so while I agree that's a bit silly to have that limitation in this case, technically I can see their point.

simonb

Emira Fan
Reaction score
wheel changes wont be that easy, to get the correct pattern and offset, and then to select a tyre width front and back that keeps the car balanced and is available in both front and rear sizes

ADC

Just Jazzed About Being On The Show
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order

Jimblob

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I started work on this today! Looking good so far!!!! 🤔

A2B3D1F7-3FBC-4982-A52D-82F2FE5FC702.jpeg

Jimblob

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
What are you filling it with and how will you remove the excess without changing the current finish of gear knob?
It’s black enamel paint… Once dry the excess should come off nicely with some nail polish remover on a tissue to leave the numbers looking fresh and super clean.

I was hoping to have it done already but the garage is only 10 degrees and so the 2nd coat is still drying.

I get to find out if it the paint cuts back nicely in the morning!

Hell4Leather

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
If I can get weight and balance correct without destroying the front well or quarter panel, I’d like to install Evija doors. A car that looks this good should have the exotic door. I know, cheesy, but I also don’t care. Weight and balance and of course water and noise seal need to be 💯

OP
Eagle7

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
wheel changes wont be that easy, to get the correct pattern and offset, and then to select a tyre width front and back that keeps the car balanced and is available in both front and rear sizes
Due to the unusual offsets, unless a company does what Komotec has and makes a wheel set specifically for the Emira, any 3rd party wheel is going to be a custom order. Which, as someone has already said isn't going to be cheap. There aren't going to be any cheap off-the-shelf wheels available that will work.

Depending on what Lotus charges for the forged FE wheels, they might be the best deal unless they want $5k for them or something like that. Their 'ultra light weight forged' wheels aren't that light to be honest though. Between tire, wheel, TPMS and balancing weights, the rear wheels are going to be about 60 lbs each, which is a lot of weight to spin up and slow down.

We'll just have to wait and see what becomes available, and what the specs and cost are going to be.