The great big "all the customer test drives" thread

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Brilliant! Is that the dealer or a customer car?

Look forward to reading more test drive reviews from our Australian members in the coming weeks. And some pictures of the cars in actual sunshine - something we've been lacking here in the UK during our test drives.

kbhoz

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Brilliant! Is that the dealer or a customer car?

Look forward to reading more test drive reviews from our Australian members in the coming weeks. And some pictures of the cars in actual sunshine - something we've been lacking here in the UK during our test drives.
The QLD "registration status" gov site says VERY L8 is "private" and EMIRA 6" is "dealer" Registered 2 days apart. So presuming its a customer car. :) Sunshine is great but its 37C here in Melbourne today. 🥵.
I have an Exige 350 and its never been a problem handling the heat so but the radiator fans scream when in traffic but the aircon works fine. I was told the Exige has a RAV 4 aircon unit - I cant confirm that but it would make sense to bring in the unit from Toyota as a package.

Magicman

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Not strictly a test drive bit a first impression.
Took Mrs Magic for a look at it today, she's not seen one before, my dad came with me to the roadshow and test drive.
Shes a porsche kinda gal so asked for an Initial impression- bigger than expected, interior finish she was very impressed with, said it looked visually on a par with the hurracan in the show room and then use the word "phat" to be down with the kids 😄

A caveat to this initial impression I can't help thinking she had my old s1 elise in her mind when I'd said Lotus and she disliked that car almost as much as my TVR Tuscan 😬

On listening to the car again for me it just needs to sound like it does in track all the time. Hopefully be a valve cheat or I may well take it to my usual place and have its internals modified

Apparently it's to pretty to even look at and makes you pull a funny face 😄
20230117_141651.jpg

Beady

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Second test drive done yesterday.
First one was in a touring spec car and underwhelming- see my first report a few pages back.
I have ordered sports chassis so this second drive was specifically to try that.

A big thanks to Rybrook Birmingham who were excellent.

Car had about 2.5k miles so well run in and pleased to report no rattles or squeaks.

Straight to the point - sports chassis is sooooo much better.
Feels much more like a lotus.
A little more firm but not too much and easily still ok for a daily driver.

After touring drive I was definitely more out than in.
After sports drive I am more in than out.

Each to their own of course but anyone who has tried a touring car and thinking of pulling the plug, go try sport first. Harry M is wrong on this one!

The only fly in the ointment, Rybrook Lotus share a showroom with McLaren- I tried to arrange a back to back 570 test drive but couldn’t make it work; having looked around and sat in one, I really want one!!! Will be taking 570 and probably a vantage out in the next few weeks before I get the call from lotus but in the meantime I am a lot more emira positive

Magicman

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
How did she specifally rate it up against whatever she believed to be the equivalent Porsche?
She didn't drive it so besides it having a little more size and presence than she was expecting it was just a general observation of quality and finish really, said the finish of the plastics and quality if the learner was good.

Magicman

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
First one was in a touring spec car and underwhelming- see my first report a few pages back.
I have ordered sports chassis so this second drive was specifically to try that.

Car had about 2.5k miles so well run in and pleased to report no rattles or squeaks.

Each to their own of course but anyone who has tried a touring car and thinking of pulling the plug, go try sport first. Harry M is wrong on this one!

The only fly in the ointment, Rybrook Lotus share a showroom with McLaren- I tried to arrange a back to back 570 test drive but couldn’t make it work; having looked around and sat in one, I really want one!!! Will be taking 570 and probably a vantage out in the next few weeks before I get the call from lotus but in the meantime I am a lot more emira positive
No I'm with Harry on this, sport feels like the harder of the two pasm settings on the gt4, just a little too fidgety and unsettled for Nottinghamshire cart tracks. I've not driven touring but I'm praying it mimics the gt4 softer setting as that's noticeably the quicker on road setting for me .

Dommo

Emira Fan
Reaction score
No I'm with Harry on this, sport feels like the harder of the two pasm settings on the gt4, just a little too fidgety and unsettled for Nottinghamshire cart tracks. I've not driven touring but I'm praying it mimics the gt4 softer setting as that's noticeably the quicker on road setting for me .
I would say tour is WAY softer than a GT4. I had a GT4 for 2 years and I agree that the harder setting was too hard for normal roads but I would say Sport Emira is much closer to GT4 IMO.

lion shf

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Sport Emira is much closer to GT4 IMO.

on softest or hardest setting?
is it Emira tour, Emira sport, gt4 soft setting, gt4 hardest setting in this order?

Dommo

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Sport Emira is much closer to GT4 IMO.

on softest or hardest setting?
is it Emira tour, Emira sport, gt4 soft setting, gt4 hardest setting in this order?
Emira Sport = GT4 normal setting
Emira Tour = Much softer than GT4
GT4 Hard setting = harder than Emira Sport

Magicman

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Sport emira is definitely harsher than gt4 in comfort. And as many, admittedly not in this poster's case, are saying there's little between sport both mechanically and in feel it seems odd that tour would be WAY softer than a gt4 in comfort.

Maybe I just need more junk in the trunk, a bit more back 😄

Either way if its on the softer side it will suit my intended purpose and roads. My old ferrari california sat higher than it probably should have and was relatively soflty sprung but it was absolutely brilliant over a crappy British B road.

Dommo

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Sport emira is definitely harsher than gt4 in comfort. And as many, admittedly not in this poster's case, are saying there's little between sport both mechanically and in feel it seems odd that tour would be WAY softer than a gt4 in comfort.

Maybe I just need more junk in the trunk, a bit more back 😄

Either way if its on the softer side it will suit my intended purpose and roads. My old ferrari california sat higher than it probably should have and was relatively soflty sprung but it was absolutely brilliant over a crappy British B road.
There is no real 'comfort' setting in the GT4, it's either hard or harder 😂. From my drive of the Sport Emira I felt there wasn't much between it and the GT4 in 'comfort'. But 25 mins on unfamiliar roads aren't an ideal comparison I guess..

Tour Emira is WAY softer than the GT4, that much I guarantee you.

lion shf

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Sport = GT4 normal setting

I’m not overjoyed by this by all accounts the gt4 is not a mile eater cause too stiff

PaperLawyer

Emira Fan
Reaction score

I test drove the Rybrook Birmingham emira for a second time this week (Jade and I ended up stuck on the M42 after it was closed for a lorry fire, but I digress) and, although I haven't driven the Touring as a comparison, I felt the Sport was too stiff on the awful B roads around here - I can totally appreciate the Sport setup would appeal if mostly nice A roads and the occasional track day, though.

They still haven't fixed the door seals though - you can see through the gap between the seal and trim on the passenger side.

Last edited:

Vanman1936

Reaction score
Had my test drive yesterday at Bell and Colvill.

Nimbus grey
Red leather
Manual
Touring
Goodyear tyres

Weather was damp / greasy and rather cold.

Car was well run in with 5,000 miles

30 min test drive on a mix of roads, no restrictions on revs nor how I drove

Looks
- simply epic, I have switched blue to green to grey and think grey really shows off the lines

Interior
- clean, good quality, simple
- seats - comfortable, didn’t notice them to be honest (must be good) - I am 5ft 9 and 13.5st with size 10 feet, shorter legs (I am not a hobbit!)
- stereo - sounds pretty good to me
- good view front and rear
- useful space behind you, 2x cabin bags would fit

Pedals / gearbox
- slightly offset pedals, but no issues for me
- gear change nice and notchy, took a little to get used to but second nature after 15 mins
- clutch is a good weight, certainly not heavy

Power
- linear with an increasing urgency above 4,000
- earlier test drives would not have given any sense of occasion in my view with a rev cap
- sounds great from the outside, less exhaust note and more transmission noise on the inside (probably the biggest “negative” for me)
- overall a relatively flexible engine that enjoys being revved with enough grunt for the road

Brakes
- felt great with good feel, didn’t really get to test them

Handling / ride
- steering incredibly direct
- didn’t notice any understeer (but you shouldn’t be at that level on the road to be honest), tight turn with a bit of power gave a slight front end slip but the roads were very greasy. Back end felt rock solid
- excellent ride over mixed surfaces inc pot holes
- feels small

In summary, I really liked it: it feels special and great at road legal speeds. I have zero interest in a cayman (done the 911 thing) so don’t care how they compare, Alpine just doesn’t do it for me for some reason (looks, engine) but fair play to anyone who has one. So it’s in a league of its own really for me and just a case of if I want it.

Anecdotally my chaperone said very few cancellations and it has been totally reliable aside from a tyre pressure warning light.

I strongly advise those that have read some of the earlier less glowing reviews (comparing it to GT4 RS etc) to go drive one before you say it’s a missed opportunity, poor turn in / understeer, terrible gear box, awful seats etc….I found none of these to be true.

Overall my experience chimed well with Harry’s Garage video and I am 100% staying in.

Last edited:

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Many thanks, interesting review. You mention 911, Cayman and Alpine - what other cars have you owned/driven or are considering that you are comparing to the Emira?

Superman

Emira Owner!!
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Had my test drive yesterday at Bell and Colvill.

Nimbus grey
Red leather
Manual
Touring
Dunlop tyres

Weather was damp / greasy and rather cold.

Car was well run in with 5,000 miles

30 min test drive on a mix of roads, no restrictions on revs nor how I drove

Looks
- simply epic, I have switched blue to green to grey and think grey really shows off the lines

Interior
- clean, good quality, simple
- seats - comfortable, didn’t notice them to be honest (must be good) - I am 5ft 9 and 13.5st with size 10 feet, shorter legs (I am not a hobbit!)
- stereo - sounds pretty good to me
- good view front and rear
- useful space behind you, 2x cabin bags would fit

Pedals / gearbox
- slightly offset pedals, but no issues for me
- gear change nice and notchy, took a little to get used to but second nature after 15 mins
- clutch is a good weight, certainly not heavy

Power
- linear with an increasing urgency above 4,000
- earlier test drives would not have given any sense of occasion in my view with a rev cap
- sounds great from the outside, less exhaust note and more transmission noise on the inside (probably the biggest “negative” for me)
- overall a relatively flexible engine that enjoys being revved with enough grunt for the road

Brakes
- felt great with good feel, didn’t really get to test them

Handling / ride
- steering incredibly direct
- didn’t notice any understeer (but you shouldn’t be at that level on the road to be honest), tight turn with a bit of power gave a slight front end slip but the roads were very greasy. Back end felt rock solid
- excellent ride over mixed surfaces inc pot holes
- feels small

In summary, I really liked it: it feels special and great at road legal speeds. I have zero interest in a cayman (done the 911 thing) so don’t care how they compare, Alpine just doesn’t do it for me for some reason (looks, engine) but fair play to anyone who has one. So it’s in a league of its own really for me and just a case of if I want it.

Anecdotally my chaperone said very few cancellations and it has been totally reliable aside from a tyre pressure warning light.

I strongly advise those that have read some of the earlier less glowing reviews (comparing it to GT4 RS etc) to go drive one before you say it’s a missed opportunity, poor turn in / understeer, terrible gear box, awful seats etc….I found none of these to be true.

Overall my experience chimed well with Harry’s Garage video and I am 100% staying in.
Great test drive review 👍

I have a test drive in the same car on Friday. Not seen one in the flesh yet, so most interested in seeing the proportions, sitting inside and taking a good look at the red interior.

I am going for an i4, so not too focussed on the engine and gearbox, but will be paying close attention to the tour chassis feel.

Vanman1936

Reaction score
Many thanks, interesting review. You mention 911, Cayman and Alpine - what other cars have you owned/driven or are considering that you are comparing to the Emira?
Honestly, aside from a modified MR2 Mk2 Turbo i used as a track car all the cars I have owned have been more 2+2 sports / GT cars. Driven some ultra focused track cars in anger (Atom / Caterham / Palmer Sports) but they are a different beasts and have all been on circuit.

Almost pulled the pin on an Evora Sports Racer a while back, but never drove one.

I can see myself buying a £20k Cayman as an analogue drive down the line but dropping £80k on one just doesn’t appeal (I know they are great cars though). The Emira is the first car I have ever even come close to contemplating buying new, partly because of perception of solid residuals….if that changes it may dampen my appetite.

The main alternatives for me are 12c/650s/R8 V10/MB GTS but different ownership propositions (esp the Maccas) and haven’t test driven any yet aside from the AMG GT (can’t see the others being a disappointment)…..I also have a deposit on a C8, waiting list is 2 years so plenty of time to decide on that!

In summary, an Emira is in a bit of class of its own for me, the combination of looks / drive / rarity / manual etc means it the only new £80k car I am contemplating currently, alternatives are a step up in performance and running costs.