The great big "all the customer test drives" thread

OP
Lotus64

Lotus64

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
This is something that many test drivers are not quite feeling so the car may never be for them.

I loved the car from the start and it has grown on me AT THE SAME RATE as from the start which is really impressive. The car starts to become one with you and the little nuances of feel and dynamics really start to stand out. After running it in, it was still more of the same.
Remarkable car and glad you managed to see how good it is and, I can assure you, it gets better and better

In all fairness, on a short test drive with a bad route or with limited revs, most drivers would not get enough of a chance to explore the Emira's nuisances and dynamics, especially if they were not searching or interested in said nuisances.

That's not a knock on the car. The Emira's learning curve is higher than most (i.e. clutch takeup / brake feel / unassisted shifter / power band at the top of rev range) and an extended amount of time is needed to become familiar with it, as with anything.

K_Squared

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
In all fairness, on a short test drive with a bad route or with limited revs, most drivers would not get enough of a chance to explore the Emira's nuisances and dynamics, especially if they were not searching or interested in said nuisances.

That's not a knock on the car. The Emira's learning curve is higher than most (i.e. clutch takeup / brake feel / unassisted shifter / power band at the top of rev range) and an extended amount of time is needed to become familiar with it, as with anything.
This is EXACTLY what I was telling my father-in-law during our 2 hour drive home from the test drive. He kept asking, "did it blow you away like you'd hoped?" and I couldn't help but respond with almost exactly what you said. You just can't learn/appreciate this car in 15-20 minutes. However, the dramatic enjoyment factor increase from minute 5 to 15 was what I had to focus on in terms of the future potential excitement/enjoyment of the car. It absolutely has a higher learning curve because, well, it's a driver's car that you need to learn to truly appreciate. I can't wait to have that opportunity!

R1272

Emira Fan
Reaction score

This is true. I had a chance to drive the car twice and the second time was 10x more fun than the first.

BeHappy

Emira Fiend
Reaction score

This is so why Lotus need to offer extended test drives bringing them in line with what is readily available across most brands and also not be prescriptive about the route - In UK now that the fuss has settled will Lotus be open to this ?

Yachtie

Emira Fan
Reaction score
This is true. I had a chance to drive the car twice and the second time was 10x more fun than the first.
Agreed I’ve got to 500 miles in mine and even limited to 4000 rpm it just gets better every day, there will be a whole new learning curve once full revs can be used. Not sure the smile can get any bigger!! 😀😀

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
Anyone in the US have an upcoming test drive scheduled? I was supposed to have an extended test drive this morning with the magma red Emira that was at the recent NYC Auto Show , but I cancelled last minute. Just wasn't worth the 4 hour round trip drive for me today. Hopefully I can catch it at some point since I'd really like to see Magma red and the silver calipers in person.

GetawayDriving

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Anyone in the US have an upcoming test drive scheduled? I was supposed to have an extended test drive this morning with the magma red Emira that was at the recent NYC Auto Show , but I cancelled last minute. Just wasn't worth the 4 hour round trip drive for me today. Hopefully I can catch it at some point since I'd really like to see Magma red and the silver calipers in person.

I have my eye out for them but haven't heard. No idea where all the demo cars are right now. I have some points, I'd fly anywhere lol

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
I have my eye out for them but haven't heard. No idea where all the demo cars are right now. I have some points, I'd fly anywhere lol

I'm flying out to AZ through the end of the month. I'm going to take a shot and call McLaren Scottsdale since they're dealing with Lotus now too.

adefeatedman

Reaction score
I had my test drive last week at my dealership in Summit, New Jersey. It was my first time seeing the car in person. Car was a V6, manual with the sport chassis. My thoughts:

- Car was beautiful in person, even smaller than it appears in pictures. Build quality looked excellent. The only way to describe it is that it looks less like a kit car than an Evora or an Exige and more like a production car. The seats were large and comfortable and the car was easy to get in and out of. I'm a bigger guy (5'9" 260lbs) and had no problem getting comfortable and getting in and out. Nothing like the old Exige I drove. I do wish the seat went down a tad lower, but it's good enough.
-Now, I'm certain about how I want mine fitted except with respect to the chassis. On the one hand, I have a high tolerance for rough suspension and the area I drive in has smoother roads than most in NJ, but on the other hand, I am going to daily drive this with exception to winters. I was leaning towards the tour suspension but the sport chassis was still compliant. I mean, this car is every bit as comfortable as a luxury sedan. I couldn't believe it. It's the one thing that stood out the most to me. Now I'm thinking to myself, why go with the tour chassis if the sport chassis is plenty comfortable? It really only made the decision more difficult for me. But again, what a comfortable car. And despite this, handling was of course excellent with no body roll. It's like witchcraft.
-Steering was excellent. Unlike anything I've ever driven. I was expecting it to be less assisted like an old BMW but luckily it wasn't. It's still light enough to not be arduous but extremely precise and communicative. It was very easy to track down the highway and each bump sent feedback through the steering wheel but not in a jarring, unpleasant way. Other than the ride quality, this was the second most impressive thing about the car to me. I know reviewers have been praising the steering, and I've driven cars with excellent steering before, but this was on another level. And again, I wonder if any of that is attributable to the more aggressive alignment of the sport chassis.
-Brakes were great. Very grabby and strong. I couldn't get used to them. I know the dealer rep was getting annoyed with me but I drive a Jeep Grand Cherokee that has some of the worst brakes I've ever felt in a modern car, a vintage Land Rover, and an old Camaro. I'm used to giving it a healthy amount of force to stop a car. I could have blown on the pedal with a straw and stopped the car. It was impressive, but will take some getting used to for my fat feet.
-Engine sounded great. I tried it in both tour and track mode and it really wakes the exhaust sound up. I did one strong pull merging on the highway and the car pulls well. It's not like the throw you in your seat feel of my Camaro but it's responsive and torquey down low. I don't imagine I'll ever feel wanting for power. I know this is subjective but the car felt plenty strong to me. I know a Cayman GTS can rev higher and has a bespoke sports car engine, but I prefer the Toyota engine for its down low power and sound. There's a straight piped Camry rolling around my office and man that thing sounds good. I always thought Porsches sound terrible to be honest. Again, subjective. But definitely good to me.
-The shifter and clutch on the other hand I wasn't a huge fan of, especially the clutch. It just felt terrible. Not very smooth, the engagement point is too low and abrupt. Not something I can't get used to, but notworthy. The shifter is short and precise, but notchy. Again, subjective, but I prefer the more vague feel of the shifters I've felt in Porsche or VW products. To me Mazda and the older Honda/Acura products have the best shifter feel. But unlike the clutch, I wouldn't say it's bad. Just a matter of preference. I know some people that love a notchy shifter.
-The dealer rep told me the car will need a 1000 mile service and will need to be plugged into a trickle charger if the car will be sitting more than 3 days due to the smaller battery. The car will come with a battery tender but that's just something to keep in mind.

Overall, the drive definitely made me more excited to get the car. I'm reserved for a base car, not a First Edition but if the rumors are true that another round of First Editions are being released, I'll probably jump on that to avoid waiting for a a Base car like I originally wanted (I don't like the First Edition badging). It's very exciting.

Attachments

• PXL_20230418_163402200.jpg
    PXL_20230418_163402200.jpg
    614.8 KB · Views: 68
  • PXL_20230418_163406350.jpg
    PXL_20230418_163406350.jpg
    529 KB · Views: 69
  • PXL_20230418_163413622.jpg
    PXL_20230418_163413622.jpg
    460.2 KB · Views: 71

Drlonline

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I had my test drive last week at my dealership in Summit, New Jersey. It was my first time seeing the car in person. Car was a V6, manual with the sport chassis. My thoughts:

- Car was beautiful in person, even smaller than it appears in pictures. Build quality looked excellent. The only way to describe it is that it looks less like a kit car than an Evora or an Exige and more like a production car. The seats were large and comfortable and the car was easy to get in and out of. I'm a bigger guy (5'9" 260lbs) and had no problem getting comfortable and getting in and out. Nothing like the old Exige I drove. I do wish the seat went down a tad lower, but it's good enough.
-Now, I'm certain about how I want mine fitted except with respect to the chassis. On the one hand, I have a high tolerance for rough suspension and the area I drive in has smoother roads than most in NJ, but on the other hand, I am going to daily drive this with exception to winters. I was leaning towards the tour suspension but the sport chassis was still compliant. I mean, this car is every bit as comfortable as a luxury sedan. I couldn't believe it. It's the one thing that stood out the most to me. Now I'm thinking to myself, why go with the tour chassis if the sport chassis is plenty comfortable? It really only made the decision more difficult for me. But again, what a comfortable car. And despite this, handling was of course excellent with no body roll. It's like witchcraft.
-Steering was excellent. Unlike anything I've ever driven. I was expecting it to be less assisted like an old BMW but luckily it wasn't. It's still light enough to not be arduous but extremely precise and communicative. It was very easy to track down the highway and each bump sent feedback through the steering wheel but not in a jarring, unpleasant way. Other than the ride quality, this was the second most impressive thing about the car to me. I know reviewers have been praising the steering, and I've driven cars with excellent steering before, but this was on another level. And again, I wonder if any of that is attributable to the more aggressive alignment of the sport chassis.
-Brakes were great. Very grabby and strong. I couldn't get used to them. I know the dealer rep was getting annoyed with me but I drive a Jeep Grand Cherokee that has some of the worst brakes I've ever felt in a modern car, a vintage Land Rover, and an old Camaro. I'm used to giving it a healthy amount of force to stop a car. I could have blown on the pedal with a straw and stopped the car. It was impressive, but will take some getting used to for my fat feet.
-Engine sounded great. I tried it in both tour and track mode and it really wakes the exhaust sound up. I did one strong pull merging on the highway and the car pulls well. It's not like the throw you in your seat feel of my Camaro but it's responsive and torquey down low. I don't imagine I'll ever feel wanting for power. I know this is subjective but the car felt plenty strong to me. I know a Cayman GTS can rev higher and has a bespoke sports car engine, but I prefer the Toyota engine for its down low power and sound. There's a straight piped Camry rolling around my office and man that thing sounds good. I always thought Porsches sound terrible to be honest. Again, subjective. But definitely good to me.
-The shifter and clutch on the other hand I wasn't a huge fan of, especially the clutch. It just felt terrible. Not very smooth, the engagement point is too low and abrupt. Not something I can't get used to, but notworthy. The shifter is short and precise, but notchy. Again, subjective, but I prefer the more vague feel of the shifters I've felt in Porsche or VW products. To me Mazda and the older Honda/Acura products have the best shifter feel. But unlike the clutch, I wouldn't say it's bad. Just a matter of preference. I know some people that love a notchy shifter.
-The dealer rep told me the car will need a 1000 mile service and will need to be plugged into a trickle charger if the car will be sitting more than 3 days due to the smaller battery. The car will come with a battery tender but that's just something to keep in mind.

Overall, the drive definitely made me more excited to get the car. I'm reserved for a base car, not a First Edition but if the rumors are true that another round of First Editions are being released, I'll probably jump on that to avoid waiting for a a Base car like I originally wanted (I don't like the First Edition badging). It's very exciting.
Some interesting remarks from your dealer rep about the 1000 mile service and need for trickle charger if left idle for more than 3 days. According to those who've picked up from Hethel, they were told 10,000 miles for first service, and the handbook states trickle charge is needed if left idle for 18 days.

Pegasi

Emira Maniac
Reaction score

Not to put you on the spot but since you wrote such a great review I would love to hear a few of the cars you have driven that you were comparing the Emira to.

Pegasi

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Some interesting remarks from your dealer rep about the 1000 mile service and need for trickle charger if left idle for more than 3 days. According to those who've picked up from Hethel, they were told 10,000 miles for first service, and the handbook states trickle charge is needed if left idle for 18 days.
I have always done a service after the break in miles usually at my expense. And with all the electronics on modern cars I find a trickle charger mandatory for a non daily driver.

adefeatedman

Reaction score
Take it with a grain of salt, they were mostly an Aston Martin dealership.

adefeatedman

Reaction score
Not to put you on the spot but since you wrote such a great review I would love to hear a few of the cars you have driven that you were comparing the Emira to.
I'm certainly no expert. I've driven an Exige S 240 that a buddy of mine owns and I've sat in an Evora when the local Saab dealer merged with a Lotus dealer and I was waiting for my old 9-3 to get repaired. Never got to drive the Evora though. I've driven a few 911s and an original Boxster, but never a newer model Boxster or Cayman. A few older M3s and a lot of VW products. Oh and a NB and NC Miata. But most of my experience is in Camaros, Mustangs and Subarus.

I definitely can say the ride quality of the Porsches and BMWs were firmer. The shifter feel to me is more akin to an old RSX or TSX if you've ever driven one of those. The Emira felt a bit more playful than those types of cars and more akin to a Miata if you've ever driven one.

GreenDeal

Reaction score
Hello, I don't understand that with the small battery. I've had my Emira for a few weeks (DV Auto, red leather, black pack and black rims). The car sits for a week and still starts. So no problems in this matter, not even if the Emira is standing for a longer time!

Attachments

• P1040705.JPG
    P1040705.JPG
    285.8 KB · Views: 46

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
From memory I think the handbook says 18 days standing is the guidance before needing to use a charger.

GreenDeal

Reaction score
From memory I think the handbook says 18 days standing is the guidance before needing to use a charger.
That can be, but 18 days are a few more than 3 days! I'll try it out and report back here in this thread. Until then, greetings from Germany:)

OP
Lotus64

Lotus64

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I'The shifter feel to me is more akin to an old RSX or TSX if you've ever driven one of those.
Excellent review!

I've thought this for so long! The shifter felt exactly like the RSX and the clutch like the Mazdaspeed 6. I think the TSX shifter feels a little heavier and slicker but I agree it's in the same realm.