The great big "all the customer test drives" thread

GetawayDriving

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Finally got around to driving a LHD model on public roads.

I few thoughts still lingering:

Over the past two weeks I’ve been driving an Elise and Exige around Exclusivity, and I spent some time on track (as a passenger) in Exige and Evora. It left me kind of wanting something in the middle, and I think that’s where Emira sits.

Loves:
  • The way it looks, obviously. Especially Nimbus with red.
  • Visibility, it feels easy to toss around because you can see places you’re tossing it so well.
  • The way the car melts around you, and gets smaller.
  • Steering, obviously
  • Ride on touring suspension just swallowed the road surface. It was lovely but I’ll be glad to have sport and a little more feel.
  • Pedal box. Perfect for heel-toe although I did have to switch shoes. It’s tight but it’s the same way on Elige and I love it.
  • UX. And I say this as a UX designer. It is very good. Hardware isn’t amazing (a little laggy) but acceptable and the software made everything not more than 2 taps away.
  • Really comes alive at higher RPM. Unfortunately I only got a couple of short Bursts.
  • Love the light signatures and color-switching tail-lamps and DRLs. Looks premium.
  • Red leather was not as bright as photos suggest. It looks fantastic.
Neutral observations:
  • KEF system didn’t wow, but it was perfectly good. I had time to play music I like and play with the equalizer. Was satisfied with the result, but it won’t be the best audio system I’ve ever owned in a car. Coming from Elise where the stereo… emits audible information at best, this is a huge upgrade.
  • No buffeting with windows down, nice!
  • Trunk closed fine
  • Gearbox expects you to be precise, many won’t like that but I do. It does take some adjustment. Throws were shorter than Elige which made me think it wasn’t going into gear, so I was a bit clumsy with it on my drive.
  • Gear knob engraving was not injuring me
(Very minor!) Things I don’t love:

• Wish it had a little bit more torque from 0. You definitely need to give it a handshake to get it rolling. I remember Evora was strong at 0 and felt like giving it gas was optional. Made it easier to roll around town.
  • Clutch is a little light for my tastes but after a while I wasn’t really noticing. I’m sure this was a design decision as a more livable car.
  • Maybe a sharper alignment or faster steering rack as a future upgrade. Might be that I’ve been driving a direct unassisted car but felt like I had to give more steering input than Elige. Honestly could just be the larger radius wheel giving that sensation.
  • Don’t love the head rests on the seats. Not actually good for resting.
  • Could use a little more noise under 4k rpm. It sounds lovely but might need that 3rd cat delete to be exciting. Sounds fantastic at higher RPMs
  • Cup holders are… not ideal but atleast they exist! Might look for an aftermarket solution.
Overall it feels like a grown up Exige. It feels like a car I could drive as my only car for the rest of my life and be thrilled about it. No regrets, all in, as excited as ever.

Last edited:

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
Finally got around to driving a LHD model on public roads.

I few thoughts still lingering:

Over the past two weeks I’ve been driving an Elise and Exige around Exclusivity, and I spent some time on track (as a passenger) in Exige and Evora. It left me kind of wanting something in the middle, and I think that’s where Emira sits.

Loves:
  • The way it looks, obviously. Especially Nimbus with red.
  • Visibility, it feels easy to toss around because you can see places you’re tossing it so well.
  • The way the car melts around you, and gets smaller.
  • Steering, obviously
  • Ride on touring suspension just swallowed the road surface. It was lovely but I’ll be glad to have sport and a little more feel.
  • Pedal box. Perfect for heel-toe although I did have to switch shoes. It’s tight but it’s the same way on Elige and I love it.
  • UX. And I say this as a UX designer. It is very good. Hardware isn’t amazing (a little laggy) but acceptable and the software made everything not more than 2 taps away.
  • Really comes alive at higher RPM. Unfortunately I only got a couple of short Bursts.
  • Love the light signatures and color-switching tail-lamps and DRLs. Looks premium.
  • Red leather was not as bright as photos suggest. It looks fantastic.
Neutral observations:
  • KEF system didn’t wow, but it was perfectly good.
  • No buffeting with windows down, nice!
  • Trunk closed fine
  • Gearbox expects you to be precise, many won’t like that but I do. It does take some adjustment. Throws were shorter than Elige which made me think it wasn’t going into gear, so I was a bit clumsy with it on my drive.
  • Gear knob engraving was not injuring me
(Very minor!) Things I don’t love:

• Wish it had a little bit more torque from 0. You definitely need to give it a handshake to get it rolling. I remember Evora was strong at 0 and felt like giving it gas was optional. Made it easier to roll around town.
  • Clutch is a little light for my tastes but after a while I wasn’t really noticing. I’m sure this was a design decision as a more livable car.
  • Maybe a sharper alignment or faster steering rack as a future upgrade. Might be that I’ve been driving a direct unassisted car but felt like I had to give more steering input than Elige. Honestly could just be the larger radius wheel giving that sensation.
  • Don’t love the head rests on the seats. Not actually good for resting.
  • Could use a little more noise under 4k rpm. It sounds lovely but might need that 3rd cat delete to be exciting. Sounds fantastic at higher RPMs
  • Cup holders are… not ideal but atleast they exist! Might look for an aftermarket solution.
Overall it feels like a grown up Exige. It feels like a car I could drive as my only car for the rest of my life and be thrilled about it. No regrets, all in, as excited as ever.

I was waiting for your review! Glad you still loved it for the most part.

adefeatedman

Reaction score
I didn't have this same reaction and I wonder if it has to do with the fact that I drove a Sport chassis car. If that is the difference, I think I might be changing my mind from Tour to Sport because I thought turn in was sharp, but not twitchy on the Sport chassis car I drove. I really do wish I could have the opportunity to drive both. But you're right, it could just be what we each are used to.

GetawayDriving

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I didn't have this same reaction and I wonder if it has to do with the fact that I drove a Sport chassis car. If that is the difference, I think I might be changing my mind from Tour to Sport because I thought turn in was sharp, but not twitchy on the Sport chassis car I drove. I really do wish I could have the opportunity to drive both. But you're right, it could just be what we each are used to.

When writing this, I had forgotten that the Elise I was driving had a faster steering rack installed AND had recently received a more aggressive alignment. It’s also on a RaceTech suspension so it’s firm, on its toes and very darty. Emira by comparison was on tour suspension with what I’m presuming is more of a “comfort” alignment. I would like it to be faster to turn, but my context is coming from that scalpel of an Elise and might be extreme.

GIN

Reaction score
Emira Status
Waiting to order
I was able to have my 2nd test drive courtesy of @GatorMotorsport - Nimbus, red leather, touring suspension, Goodyears. Thanks to Young, Tony and Nick for their help in getting a car for a 2nd drive. Young stated that this is one of only 2 Emira's in the US currently. Did not ask where the other one is. I believe the car is available for "viewing only" with no appointments on Friday 5/5 at Gator if anyone wants to take a look. For background, I am not a track guy, not looking to modify the car. I am currently driving a 718 Spyder (about 500 miles driven) as my first sports car and will use this as a baseline for comparison - not better or worse, just what felt different. I did not own the Spyder at the time of the first test drive. I plan on keeping both long term. It is not my daily.

Some immediate noticeable differences between the Spyder and general comments:
- The red leather interior was extremely nice. The first test drive car was alcantara which was my first choice of interior, but I remember not being overly impressed with the interior quality of the car. The red leather and leather steering wheel really made this interior feel more luxurious/higher end and sportier than the alcantara. Gave it a classy edge and pop. The contrast of the red, black and brushed aluminum/silver interior pieces was very pleasing to my eye. It seems just as nice as the classic interior leather in the Spyder.
- The pedals feel like they are closer together than the Spyder and to me, the clutch is more resistant (harder push) and seems to engage earlier than my Spyder. The Spyder clutch feels smoother with longer travel and much less pressure required to push. Again, not a criticism, just noticeably different after having just driven my Spyder. No issues to me while driving - I am not a heel/toe guy, but the pedals sure are close enough where if you are.
- The Spyder steering feel is really good. The Lotus hydraulically assisted steering is awesome. The word gets overused but it makes you feel very connected to the car/road. To me, there is no play or softness in the steering wheel and just the right amount of resistance/stiffness. When you move the steering wheel, the wheels move and you feel it directly thru the steering wheel. I am not sure how else to describe it. You just have to experience and feel it.
- My Spyder chassis feels much stiffer (PASM off) than the Emira touring set up as expected, however, the Spyder can be unpleasantly stiff over rougher roads. While the roads I drove the Emira on were smooth, I have no complaints with the touring suspension as I drove it. I cannot remember what the Sport suspension felt like on the first test drive, but nothing really stands out to me here. It was pleasant to drive and was firm enough when driven hard in roundabouts. Like others on here, I know there is a difference, but in my opinion, it is not drastic. My Spyder has Cup2s so to me it definitely feels like it has a little more grip and stance going into corners.
- I would agree with @GetawayDriving that I also wish it had some more torque at 0. While it has very similar/identical torque to the Spyder (310-317 ft-lbs), my Spyder puts you in the back of your seat in 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear at 3K+ rpm. I haven't looked at the curves to see how different/similar they are, but that lack of punch to me was noticeable when driving. I really enjoy this aspect of driving the Spyder.
- The exhaust sound was pretty awesome. I have never been outside of my Spyder to hear the exhaust while driving so I can't make a comparison to it. While waiting for the test drive someone else started the Emira up in the garage and it was very pleasing and sufficiently loud. After my test drive, the next guy got in and floored it out of the garage to what had to be redline and it was outstanding. If you were anywhere near there, you would have heard it and knew that there was a special car in the area. That being said, inside the car, it sounds fine (nothing really crazy or special to me) but I did notice that it garbles more than my Spyder which is nice. The salesman and I carried on in conversation without issue. I only took it up to 6K a couple times and it has its own unique roar.
- Also agree with @GetawayDriving that the gear box may take a little getting used to for those not used to Lotus. I almost don't have to think with the Spyder but was having to concentrate more to ensure proper shifts on the Emira (both up and down). No complaint at all, again, just different.
- The brakes were outstanding and almost to the point of being too touchy. I jerked the car several times getting used to how grippy they were compared to my Spyder. Not sure how many miles were on this car, but the brakes were great during the drive.
- I took pictures of the driver and passenger seat and did not notice any of the bagginess in the leather that has been seen by @Magicman. Not sure of the miles and usage of the demo car, but you can judge for yourself.
- I looked for paint chips on the hood and found one small chip (tough to see). It appears so far that this car hasn't had an issue with chipping.
- The check engine light (yellow) was on while driving, but I didn't bother ask as to why it was on or what the issue was. I saw not impact on performance.

Overall, I am definitely still in for a BE V6 manual (probably Meridian Blue, no BP, Ice Leather, Silver wheels, Touring) and believe the Emira will be a truly fun car to drive. Since Gator is in my backyard, I am less worried about the dealer/service issues, but am aware they exist. Can't say enough about my interactions with the team there. Professional, courteous and knowledgeable. Tony mentioned that Lotus is definitely working to expand their dealer network so that this topic can be less of an issue. There is nothing in my two test drives that makes me think I would not enjoy pushing this car around the backroads or taking it out on the town for a night with the wife. The car will turn heads as it really looks and sounds exotic, special, and unique. I do think it convinced me to get leather and that the suspension choice is not as noticeable for me. As others have said, it would be nice to have some more power/torque but the steering and chassis are really well done and in my opinion, make it an engaging car to drive. It won't be my daily, but to me, it definitely feels much more of a daily driver than my Spyder. Even with no frunk, the trunk and behind seat storage seems sufficient. Didn't plan on this being so long, but hopefully this is helpful for those considering and who haven't been able to get into one.

Attachments

• IMG_3245.jpg
    IMG_3245.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_3246.jpg
    IMG_3246.jpg
    504.3 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_3247.jpg
    IMG_3247.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_3249.jpg
    IMG_3249.jpg
    384.2 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_3252.jpg
    IMG_3252.jpg
    379.2 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_3253.jpg
    IMG_3253.jpg
    219.1 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_3254.jpg
    IMG_3254.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 96

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I was able to have my 2nd test drive courtesy of @GatorMotorsport - Nimbus, red leather, touring suspension, Goodyears. Thanks to Young, Tony and Nick for their help in getting a car for a 2nd drive. Young stated that this is one of only 2 Emira's in the US currently. Did not ask where the other one is. I believe the car is available for "viewing only" with no appointments on Friday 5/5 at Gator if anyone wants to take a look. For background, I am not a track guy, not looking to modify the car. I am currently driving a 718 Spyder (about 500 miles driven) as my first sports car and will use this as a baseline for comparison - not better or worse, just what felt different. I did not own the Spyder at the time of the first test drive. I plan on keeping both long term. It is not my daily.

Some immediate noticeable differences between the Spyder and general comments:
- The red leather interior was extremely nice. The first test drive car was alcantara which was my first choice of interior, but I remember not being overly impressed with the interior quality of the car. The red leather and leather steering wheel really made this interior feel more luxurious/higher end and sportier than the alcantara. Gave it a classy edge and pop. The contrast of the red, black and brushed aluminum/silver interior pieces was very pleasing to my eye. It seems just as nice as the classic interior leather in the Spyder.
- The pedals feel like they are closer together than the Spyder and to me, the clutch is more resistant (harder push) and seems to engage earlier than my Spyder. The Spyder clutch feels smoother with longer travel and much less pressure required to push. Again, not a criticism, just noticeably different after having just driven my Spyder. No issues to me while driving - I am not a heel/toe guy, but the pedals sure are close enough where if you are.
- The Spyder steering feel is really good. The Lotus hydraulically assisted steering is awesome. The word gets overused but it makes you feel very connected to the car/road. To me, there is no play or softness in the steering wheel and just the right amount of resistance/stiffness. When you move the steering wheel, the wheels move and you feel it directly thru the steering wheel. I am not sure how else to describe it. You just have to experience and feel it.
- My Spyder chassis feels much stiffer (PASM off) than the Emira touring set up as expected, however, the Spyder can be unpleasantly stiff over rougher roads. While the roads I drove the Emira on were smooth, I have no complaints with the touring suspension as I drove it. I cannot remember what the Sport suspension felt like on the first test drive, but nothing really stands out to me here. It was pleasant to drive and was firm enough when driven hard in roundabouts. Like others on here, I know there is a difference, but in my opinion, it is not drastic. My Spyder has Cup2s so to me it definitely feels like it has a little more grip and stance going into corners.
- I would agree with @GetawayDriving that I also wish it had some more torque at 0. While it has very similar/identical torque to the Spyder (310-317 ft-lbs), my Spyder puts you in the back of your seat in 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear at 3K+ rpm. I haven't looked at the curves to see how different/similar they are, but that lack of punch to me was noticeable when driving. I really enjoy this aspect of driving the Spyder.
- The exhaust sound was pretty awesome. I have never been outside of my Spyder to hear the exhaust while driving so I can't make a comparison to it. While waiting for the test drive someone else started the Emira up in the garage and it was very pleasing and sufficiently loud. After my test drive, the next guy got in and floored it out of the garage to what had to be redline and it was outstanding. If you were anywhere near there, you would have heard it and knew that there was a special car in the area. That being said, inside the car, it sounds fine (nothing really crazy or special to me) but I did notice that it garbles more than my Spyder which is nice. The salesman and I carried on in conversation without issue. I only took it up to 6K a couple times and it has its own unique roar.
- Also agree with @GetawayDriving that the gear box may take a little getting used to for those not used to Lotus. I almost don't have to think with the Spyder but was having to concentrate more to ensure proper shifts on the Emira (both up and down). No complaint at all, again, just different.
- The brakes were outstanding and almost to the point of being too touchy. I jerked the car several times getting used to how grippy they were compared to my Spyder. Not sure how many miles were on this car, but the brakes were great during the drive.
- I took pictures of the driver and passenger seat and did not notice any of the bagginess in the leather that has been seen by @Magicman. Not sure of the miles and usage of the demo car, but you can judge for yourself.
- I looked for paint chips on the hood and found one small chip (tough to see). It appears so far that this car hasn't had an issue with chipping.
- The check engine light (yellow) was on while driving, but I didn't bother ask as to why it was on or what the issue was. I saw not impact on performance.

Overall, I am definitely still in for a BE V6 manual (probably Meridian Blue, no BP, Ice Leather, Silver wheels, Touring) and believe the Emira will be a truly fun car to drive. Since Gator is in my backyard, I am less worried about the dealer/service issues, but am aware they exist. Can't say enough about my interactions with the team there. Professional, courteous and knowledgeable. Tony mentioned that Lotus is definitely working to expand their dealer network so that this topic can be less of an issue. There is nothing in my two test drives that makes me think I would not enjoy pushing this car around the backroads or taking it out on the town for a night with the wife. The car will turn heads as it really looks and sounds exotic, special, and unique. I do think it convinced me to get leather and that the suspension choice is not as noticeable for me. As others have said, it would be nice to have some more power/torque but the steering and chassis are really well done and in my opinion, make it an engaging car to drive. It won't be my daily, but to me, it definitely feels much more of a daily driver than my Spyder. Even with no frunk, the trunk and behind seat storage seems sufficient. Didn't plan on this being so long, but hopefully this is helpful for those considering and who haven't been able to get into one.
Nice pairing… exactly like myself! Spyder + Emira is a great duo. Tough question, if you had to pick one which would it be?

GIN

Reaction score
Emira Status
Waiting to order
Nice pairing… exactly like myself! Spyder + Emira is a great duo. Tough question, if you had to pick one which would it be?
The Spyder for sure for me. It’s a convertible for starters. If they made an Emira convertible that would make it tougher for sure. You can’t beat the top down on a sunny day. The Spyder also feels like it has quite a bit more power/pull even though that’s not really the case on a straight number basis. It looks less exotic but is quite distinctive / special in its own right. The other qualifier is cost/value. Let’s just say my Spyder did not cost $105k and it was 9 months old. So that could sway others in a diffeeent direction. Not an easy choice when you remove the convertible from the equation. What’s the choice for you?

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
The Spyder for sure for me. It’s a convertible for starters. If they made an Emira convertible that would make it tougher for sure. You can’t beat the top down on a sunny day. The Spyder also feels like it has quite a bit more power/pull even though that’s not really the case on a straight number basis. It looks less exotic but is quite distinctive / special in its own right. The other qualifier is cost/value. Let’s just say my Spyder did not cost $105k and it was 9 months old. So that could sway others in a diffeeent direction. Not an easy choice when you remove the convertible from the equation. What’s the choice for you?
Same for me. Spyder > Emira.

Although I very much like the Emira and look forward to owning one, the convertible aspect, drive and looks (for a convertible) place it above it. As I have stated many times before, I wouldn’t take a cayman GTS 4.0 over an Emira. Hence why I think they are a perfect pair. Good choices!

Reactions: GIN

Concept24

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
For those who do not want to spend $200,000 on two cars, I recommend a Mazda MX5 with Ohlin coilovers and if a 2016-2018, an Edelbrock supercharger (smog-legal in California). I certainly agree that a drop-top is really nice to have, but it doesn't need to cost near $100,000 to enjoy. Of course, no other $100,000 sportscar comes close to the exotic look of an Emira. That is a big bonus.

John777

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I voted 8/10

I placed my deposit OCT 2022 with Gentry Lane near Toronto Ontario Canada
I live approx 4hrs away in Lakeshore Ontario near Windsor.

They have Lotus Dealership @
Auto Europe
677 S. Eton Street
Birmingham, MI 48009 This location is like their Service/Garage Dept

Lotus of Detroit
677 S. Eton Street
Birmingham, MI 48009 This location appears to be the showroom

On Sunday June 11 2023 they had a cars and coffee event to take a look at and closeup view of the new Emira.
It takes me about 45 mins to 1hr to drive to Auto Europe for the test drive. I did not attend this event because I found out they had Test drive time slots of 30mins each starting the following day Monday 12th June. Time slots were available everyday till Friday 10am to 3pm I believe. So I booked a 10am appointment. First one of the day and they had time slots till Friday. Pretty much I think she said i was the first one to book.

We get to the dealership 10 mins before my appointment like they said I should. My wife and daughter also came along. There was a receptionist and one other guy possibly the owner. I signed some quick paperwork and photocopied my drivers license and then proceeded to wait 10 mins for the ride a along partner I believe his name was Mike. Nice young man probably in his earlier 20s. He went got the Emira and pulled it out in front. Handed me the keys. Talked some more then we went for a test drive.

The car looks so much better in person. It was dark grey. It appeared to be black because it was an overcast 55F day no sun rained in the early morning hours but roads etc was bone dry.
I'm not much good at writing so I'll break this down into pros and cons for the experience I had.

Dark Grey
Black top and bottom
Yellow Calipers
Touring suspension
Black Alcantara interior and yellow stitching

Pros - The car is beautiful and unique. My wife was in awe, definitely not a cookie cutter design with fake appliques inlets and port holes .(Cadillac CT5 blackwing) Everything on the Emira has a functional purpose.
- Car looks interesting from all angles. Looks 11/10
- Steering Wheel (leather) felt great and wasn't too thick as some have mentioned. I thought it was fantastic, perfect feel actually. 10/10
- Hydraulic Steering , no issues, some said it feels too heavy. no way its perfect 10/10
- I stalled it at first but my guide said not to baby the clutch. I didn't want to ride it etc i was being to careful and delicate with it. Its been about 15 plus years since i drove a manual. I'm about 5foot 8.5 inches tall and about 80lbs overweight(covid weight) lol working on it. Pedals are really close, just take some time to adjust. I adjusted the seating to where I would have like it. The only problem was I couldn't then fully engage the clutch to the floor it was beyond reach. Being overweight didn't help either. Anyways I had to move the seat a lot closer to the steering wheel than I'm used to. Wasn't uncomfortable but was ideal position.
I'll need more time in future to play around etc. but for now Seating position 6/10.
Seat comfort and side bolsters are good and adequate. 9/10
I didn't spend too much time looking for defects. But i did notice behind the drivers seat plastic panel was a bit loose and off and needed to be tapped back in place and the rubber gasket re adjusted by driver door at rear. No obvious paint imperfections.
I found the gear box really nice. But will take time to get used too. Not as precise as I would prefer. Power shifting from 2nd to 3rd was glorious. Gear box 9/10
We started in Sport and moved up to Track mode. Each level brought more joyous sounds and power. The supercharger and exhaust sounds are adequate. When you open the windows its even more noticeable. 8/10
I noticed that the sounds you hear seem 10x louder to you than what you think the outside public would hear. I downshifted and thought wow that's f.in loud. But after watching my wife's cell video of me she made.. you could barely notice it. Definitely would buy after market exhaust in future.
I noticed some wear/matting on door Alcantara where it was in constant contact. Armrest.
I found visibility for this type of car to be fantastic. 9.5/10

There was a yellow trouble light in dash. I guess it was drivers side turn signal not working properly. Other than that no issues with anything else.

One feature that could take getting used to and I didn't like was when you stall out the parking brake engages. I found it difficult finding and using the parking brake button/switch. It wasn't responsive/quick as it should be.

So after all these months of waiting. I would say my enthusiasm/excitement has diminished somewhat for the Emira. Because of the delays, price increase and lack of comms. But I'm still willing to wait it out and take delivery.

There was a new corvette parked Infront of the Emira and I find it dated and dime a dozen now. Unless you can get you hands on a z06 which would be considerably costlier. Although it was way louder and meaner on startup.

Overall I give it 9/10.

Also when i asked .. I guess they have 200 or so deposits. They figure first deliveries November 2023.

Last edited:

eriegz

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Well, after 2 long years, yesterday morning I finally got to test drive the Emira for the first time and let me say... what a disappointment!! 0 out of 10. Cancelling my order as we speak, and buying a Cayman instead.

;)

Actual review: 10/10

My overall thoughts:
  1. Wow. I absolutely love this car.
  2. I can't believe how good it sounded
  3. the car fits like a glove
  4. See point #1
Disclaimer: I've never owned a sports car before, so I'm probably easily impressed. I have driven a manual for the last 10 years, though (but still managed to stall the Emira at my first traffic light :LOL:💪).

With that being said... WOW, what an experience!! 🤩 I absolutely cannot wait to receive my own car. Before this test drive, I was only 100% sold, but now I'm 130% sold. How anybody could be disappointed with this car — for the money, given what else is on the market today — beggars belief. For my money (and indeed it will be soon), this car is perfect.

2023-06-13 09.30.26.jpg

The test drive was a blast: we drove a 15–20 minute loop around town which included residential roads, connecting roads, highways, and on-ramps / off-ramps. It was all a very new experience for me, though, and the flood of new sensory input was at times a bit overwhelming, what with the unfamiliar seating position, visibility, clutch, shifter, miles per hour (*shudder*), etc. Thankfully my salesperson was a wonderful guide throughout the entire process, talking me through the car's features, switching it into sport & track modes for me, telling me to floor it under this overpass, etc. (That's where I got a full blast — windows down — of that glorious exhaust sound, which I'm still thinking about even now... 🤤)

Man this car's fun to drive... I honestly can't believe this car even exists. Those of us who are buying this car are so fortunate to have this opportunity. We are getting something truly special, something which will never exist ever again. This one's a keeper, boys and girls.

2023-06-13 09.27.31.jpg

On a side note, it was great seeing the black-wheels-red-calipers combo in person. From some of the photos I'd seen thus far, the red calipers have looked so dark / obscured, and I was worried that I made the wrong choice. But I think they look great. (y)

2023-06-13 09.47.43.jpg

It was also cool getting to see the red leather option in person too! I didn't choose it for my own car, but I envy those who did. 😍 Also, I thought the steering wheel was great! I love the shape, personally, and I had no problem "palm-turning" it around while backing into my parking space. I also tried feeling around for that "thick part" that people are always complaining about, and like... sure, it's thicker around that part... But is it a problem? No, not in the slightest. I guess one man's mountain is another man's molehill...

I thought visibility out of the car was great, too. Although I was surprised how far back I had to twist my neck in order to see out of those little triangle windows behind the seats. Haha. Also, the car I was driving had convex side mirrors on both sides. Not sure if that's standard, but it was a first for me (I'm only used to having them on the passenger side). But I'm sure I'll get used to it, and I'm sure the rationale there was to help with blind spots. Oh yeah, also, the clutch-brake pedal spacing was a non-issue, and I forgot about it completely within the first 5 seconds.

What else... Oh yeah, the touchscreen was indeed a bit hard to read in the bright sunlight, but whatever, honestly. Doesn't really bother me. I'm more concerned with the actual driving.

Honestly, even with all of its little flaws here and there, I still give this car a 10 out of 10. If you disagree, then please tell me which other brand new, mid-engined, manual transmission sports car you would rather buy over an Emira FE V6. Certainly not anything that was built in the last 10 years, except maybe other Lotuses.

All-in-all, it was a fantastic way to spend an hour of my day on this sunny June morning, and I absolutely cannot wait until mine gets here, warts and all. Only 245 more sleeps to go...

K_Squared

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Well, after 2 long years, yesterday morning I finally got to test drive the Emira for the first time and let me say... what a disappointment!! 0 out of 10. Cancelling my order as we speak, and buying a Cayman instead.

;)

My overall thoughts:
  4. See point #1
Disclaimer: I've never owned a sports car before, so I'm probably easily impressed. I have driven a manual for the last 10 years, though (but still managed to stall the Emira at my first traffic light :LOL:💪).

With that being said... WOW, what an experience!! 🤩 I absolutely cannot wait to receive my own car. Before this test drive, I was only 100% sold, but now I'm 130% sold. How anybody could be disappointed with this car — for the money, given what else is on the market today — beggars belief. For my money (and indeed it will be soon), this car is perfect.

View attachment 27755

The test drive was a blast: we drove a 15–20 minute loop around town which included residential roads, connecting roads, highways, and on-ramps / off-ramps. It was all a very new experience for me, though, and the flood of new sensory input was at times a bit overwhelming, what with the unfamiliar seating position, visibility, clutch, shifter, miles per hour (*shudder*), etc. Thankfully my salesperson was a wonderful guide throughout the entire process, talking me through the car's features, switching it into sport & track modes for me, telling me to floor it under this overpass, etc. (That's where I got a full blast — windows down — of that glorious exhaust sound, which I'm still thinking about even now... 🤤)

Man this car's fun to drive... I honestly can't believe this car even exists. Those of us who are buying this car are so fortunate to have this opportunity. We are getting something truly special, something which will never exist ever again. This one's a keeper, boys and girls.

View attachment 27760

On a side note, it was great seeing the black-wheels-red-calipers combo in person. From some of the photos I'd seen thus far, the red calipers have looked so dark / obscured, and I was worried that I made the wrong choice. But I think they look great. (y)

View attachment 27762

It was also cool getting to see the red leather option in person too! I didn't choose it for my own car, but I envy those who did. 😍 Also, I thought the steering wheel was great! I love the shape, personally, and I had no problem "palm-turning" it around while backing into my parking space. I also tried feeling around for that "thick part" that people are always complaining about, and like... sure, it's thicker around that part... But is it a problem? No, not in the slightest. I guess one man's mountain is another man's molehill...

I thought visibility out of the car was great, too. Although I was surprised how far back I had to twist my neck in order to see out of those little triangle windows behind the seats. Haha. Also, the car I was driving had convex side mirrors on both sides. Not sure if that's standard, but it was a first for me (I'm only used to having them on the passenger side). But I'm sure I'll get used to it, and I'm sure the rationale there was to help with blind spots. Oh yeah, also, the clutch-brake pedal spacing was a non-issue, and I forgot about it completely within the first 5 seconds.

What else... Oh yeah, the touchscreen was indeed a bit hard to read in the bright sunlight, but whatever, honestly. Doesn't really bother me. I'm more concerned with the actual driving.

Honestly, even with all of its little flaws here and there, I still give this car a 10 out of 10. If you disagree, then please tell me which other brand new, mid-engined, manual transmission sports car you would rather buy over an Emira FE V6. Certainly not anything that was built in the last 10 years, except maybe other Lotuses.

All-in-all, it was a fantastic way to spend an hour of my day on this sunny June morning, and I absolutely cannot wait until mine gets here, warts and all. Only 245 more sleeps to go...
Great Review! You actually got me for a split second on the top part :) I think I drove that exact demo car down here in NC about 3 months ago as it looks identical and I think there are only about 5 of them rolling around. My test drive route wasn't the best but the car (to me) still got better and better by the minute. I was also a bit enthralled in all the newness of it (manual which I hadn't driven in several years, all the traffic, and just learning the new car in general for the first 10+ minutes of the drive).

For those who haven't driven it yet, ROLL THE WINDOWS DOWN EARLY! The sound is absolutely amazing that way and that's when the smile became permanent on my face towards the end of my test drive. I have to agree with you, at around $100K there's really no competitor in the market IMO even though the wait is real.

I'm glad to hear you loved the Emira. I'm also looking forward to whenever mine finally arrives.

EspritGuy

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner

;)

My overall thoughts:
  4. See point #1

View attachment 27755

View attachment 27760

View attachment 27762

You redeemed yourself with this report, after that snarky intro.
;)

Pegasi

Emira Maniac
Reaction score

;)

My overall thoughts:
  4. See point #1

View attachment 27755

View attachment 27760

View attachment 27762

The snarky intro didn't fool me! Lotus IMO isn't known to the casual car enthusiast. On this forum you have a lot of people with extensive experience and they have developed specific tastes and needs they require from sports cars. For people like me, average Joe who loves cars, the Emira is pure passion. I say all that to say, your review could easily be my review.

The visibility is no small detail for me. As soon as I got in the car I could see everything. That makes it so much more fun to drive and to push the car. And the sound is just spectacular. Congratulations!

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score

;)

My overall thoughts:
  4. See point #1

View attachment 27755

View attachment 27760

View attachment 27762

Glad you finally got to drive one! I agree the sound is amazing and I remember just feeling perfectly "at home" in the driver's seat when I finally got in one.

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order

;)

My overall thoughts:
  4. See point #1

View attachment 27755

View attachment 27760

View attachment 27762

Finally!! Glad you like it - the Emira is a special car. End of an Era.

Ft.S

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Well... WOW!!!

I came back from my test drive. First time seeing, touching, or talking to it. Umm..., yeah! Woww! I am not sure how I can best articulate what I felt driving it and what I feel now.

Admittedly, I had many expectations reading the reviews, these forums, etc. I was also sure, some of my expectations would be left out and the experience would put more doubts in me. Now, I am guessing that my expectations were not that high after all; I could not find one thing, a single item, that would have me back out from my deposit.

This is, without any doubt in my mind, the best car I have tested in years. It is an absolute keeper. I do not want to spoil the party for anyone, so I will refrain from writing a lengthy review. Do not miss the chance to drive this car. If you are a driving enthusiast, this is the one IMO.

Before going to the dealership, I had one big concern, just as many here. Post-sales service, reliability. Aside from driving the car, the second best part was I had the absolute pleasure of talking with the lead service technician, Jaymee (I hope I am spelling it correctly). He is a car guy, understands performance driving, knows Lotus cars in detail, and seems to have extensive experience with them. I spent 30-40 mins talking with him. He is the one who sold me the car. I now have no worries at all, I am all in.

Oh, btw, Magma Red? Oh yeah! Just beautiful. And I am not a red car guy at all, never owned one.

The dealership is expecting the FE 1.0 deliveries between October and December, FE 2.0 deliveries to be between April-June '24. However, they don't know their allocation, so I know I have a 10-12 month wait, at least. I am okay with that :)

IMG_1662.png
IMG_1663.png
IMG_1664.png
IMG_1666.png
IMG_1667.png

Drlonline

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Well... WOW!!!

I came back from my test drive. First time seeing, touching, or talking to it. Umm..., yeah! Woww! I am not sure how I can best articulate what I felt driving it and what I feel now.

Admittedly, I had many expectations reading the reviews, these forums, etc. I was also sure, some of my expectations would be left out and the experience would put more doubts in me. Now, I am guessing that my expectations were not that high after all; I could not find one thing, a single item, that would have me back out from my deposit.

This is, without any doubt in my mind, the best car I have tested in years. It is an absolute keeper. I do not want to spoil the party for anyone, so I will refrain from writing a lengthy review. Do not miss the chance to drive this car. If you are a driving enthusiast, this is the one IMO.

Before going to the dealership, I had one big concern, just as many here. Post-sales service, reliability. Aside from driving the car, the second best part was I had the absolute pleasure of talking with the lead service technician, Jaymee (I hope I am spelling it correctly). He is a car guy, understands performance driving, knows Lotus cars in detail, and seems to have extensive experience with them. I spent 30-40 mins talking with him. He is the one who sold me the car. I now have no worries at all, I am all in.

Oh, btw, Magma Red? Oh yeah! Just beautiful. And I am not a red car guy at all, never owned one.

The dealership is expecting the FE 1.0 deliveries between October and December, FE 2.0 deliveries to be between April-June '24. However, they don't know their allocation, so I know I have a 10-12 month wait, at least. I am okay with that :)

View attachment 28134View attachment 28135View attachment 28136View attachment 28137View attachment 28138
View attachment 28139
View attachment 28140
I for one would not mind a lengthier review. There tend to be so many negative posts, so it's nice to read a positive one from someone who was obviously extremely impressed with the car. Can you elaborate a bit on the particularly impressive aspects of the car to you, as well as what the service tech said that gave you so much confidence.

John777

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Well... WOW!!!

View attachment 28134View attachment 28135View attachment 28136View attachment 28137View attachment 28138
View attachment 28139
View attachment 28140
Where are you located?