Test Drives

NickR

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Just spoken to customer service.
Seems that we should be able to test drive the car before final lock in. Currently they are deciding whether it will be at pop up events or at the dealers (agents)
Test drive and final deposit 'early next year'
Finanace 'early next year' but before final deposit

Mknight702

Reaction score
Whoop whoop! Hopefully we will also be able to see some of the cars in other colours as well, you know, just to make the choice easier (not).

SJR202

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Had similar confirmation. I want to test drive before committing to a final build/spec and deposit which Lotus imply isnt an issue but its a bit vague. B&C are hoping to get a demo in March if all goes well.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
That's encouraging to hear and a change of approach since the start of the dealer tours in September.

I'd be surprised if they let deposit holders do test drives before press drives and reviews are published but it'll be great for people to have a chance to drive before build commitment if that's feasible.

I know Lotus have managed the specs of the press and dealer demo cars so that there's a good cross section of colours, interiors, suspension etc.

SJR202

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I heard on this forum that press = Feb/Mar
Customer test drives Mar/Apr
First deliveries Apr (presumably to the people from Instagram/Youtube) :rolleyes:
Subject to production going to plan.

frazzer

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Not sure how this is possible. I thought I'd read final lock in is in December? at least for FE V6

SJR202

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Not sure how this is possible. I thought I'd read final lock in is in December? at least for FE V6
I understand it is or early 2022, but email I had from Lotus is they'll try to accommodate changes after final lock in depending where the car is in the build cycle/progress (as in they can unlock the configuration in some circumstances) OR you can withhold the final spec and deposit/contract until driven but then you're of course not going to get an early build slot necessarily.

freefall_junkie

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Excellent news, although I wonder how they would manage this with so many UK deposit holders. That is a hell of a lot of test drives to get through

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I suspect people early in the queue may not get the option to test drive before committing.

If you’re in first 500 deposits (pre Goodwood) then I can’t see how they can start your build for an April/May delivery whilst still giving you until Feb/Mar to commit. For later deposits it’s more feasible.

Or perhaps they’re gambling on being able to offer any cancellations to people lower down the queue.

We’ll hopefully know more in late Nov/early Dec.

OP
NickR

NickR

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I suspect people early in the queue may not get the option to test drive before committing.

If you’re in first 500 deposits (pre Goodwood) then I can’t see how they can start your build for an April/May delivery whilst still giving you until Feb/Mar to commit. For later deposits it’s more feasible.

Or perhaps they’re gambling on being able to offer any cancellations to people lower down the queue.

We’ll hopefully know more in late Nov/early Dec.
From what i could understand from the customer support chap, it's test cars before press cars that would indicate test drive cars won't be production units so i'm guessing they could be the late validation cars? But yes i doubt it also .. and i'm in the top 500.
I'm going for the car whatever so it's not a big deal for me ... or you i suspect!

TXEMIRA

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Another reason I absolutely love this forum.

I remember a guy “bragging” once that he worked over 200 hours in a week to a group of us.

No alcohol.
We asked “are you sure that wasn’t like a two week paycheck?”
We asked “are you sure it wasn’t just an hours equivalent with like a 1.5 or time-and-a-half calculation?”

He was trying to brag and so we just let him think he was right for a bit…

That’s what friends do. This forum is full of friends. Not one of us believes we will be able to actually test drive one of these but we are so friendly. :)

DJS

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
From what i could understand from the customer support chap, it's test cars before press cars that would indicate test drive cars won't be production units so i'm guessing they could be the late validation cars? But yes i doubt it also .. and i'm in the top 500.
I'm going for the car whatever so it's not a big deal for me ... or you i suspect!
I heard that alot of the first depositors (pre Goodwood)are lotus people who had an early heads up and that there will be a lot of flippers in the same group. Most of these guys won’t be interested in a test drive. I myself am not bothered about a test drive as i know Lotus won’t let us down, if I really didn’t like it the car it won’t be hard to shift based on looks alone 😊

freefall_junkie

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I heard that alot of the first depositors (pre Goodwood)are lotus people who had an early heads up and that there will be a lot of flippers in the same group. Most of these guys won’t be interested in a test drive. I myself am not bothered about a test drive as i know Lotus won’t let us down, if I really didn’t like it the car it won’t be hard to shift based on looks alone 😊
I'd have thought the loyal Lotus enthusiasts who make up most of the first 500 (I'm one of them) would be less likely to flip the car for a quick buck. I hope so anyway. I never really expected a test drive before the final order. It would be nice, but it isn't a deal breaker. However I really would like to at least sit in an Emira with production spec seats to satisfy myself the driving position will be ok.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I'd be very surprised if they let us drive validation cars. Might get a passenger ride in one though.

I'm sure they'll want the press reviews to come out first, then the YouTuber reviews. Remember after the reveal the key print publications like Evo were out the next day, with a few vlogs out overnight and most the next day. Maybe we'll have a pleasant surprise and not all have to wait for dealer demos (I do have a recurring dream that Lotus bring an Emira on a low loader to my house and secretly swap it for the Evora during the night!).

And yes, I'm with you, a test drive isn't a pre-requisite for me because I know a lot of the team and trust what they're doing to produce a fantastic drivers car.

DJS

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
The Emira is a work of art. I’m just going to keep mine on the drive, like a static caravan, and look at it longingly each day, wiping the odd bit of drool from my mouth from time to time 😜
With them looks and it being the last ICE car from lotus it has to be a keeper.

New to Lotus

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Would be nice if your getting an early car just to visit the factory and go round in the passenger seat of 2 cars with the different setups and the production seats. Should be able to make 6 cars in the different colours and different interiors. Job done plus a nice day out.

GarrethN

Emira Fan
Reaction score
The Emira is a work of art. I’m just going to keep mine on the drive, like a static caravan, and look at it longingly each day, wiping the odd bit of drool from my mouth from time to time 😜
I can’t say I’ve EVER drooled over a static caravan…… or any other caravan for that matter !!