Test Drives

vision

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Ive reported issues earlier about my cracked windscreen but whilst the car was being serviced the kind chaps at Henry kindly gave us keys to a V6 auto and an I4 with 350 miles on the clock.

Very briefly we went out on a four hour tour with both cars, V6 auto first. For me very familiar as a passenger owning a manual. Surprisingly it was not as vocal as my manual, however I quite liked the auto slight clunk in gear change also there was more rev range before swicthing into the next gear, liked the sound dropping down gears. The auto change at different speeds was really weighted and adjusted to instant acceleration, but This could be me knowing the engine sounds.

As you know the manual clutch in heavy traffic is relatively heavy and can be tiresome in slow traffic, the auto would be my choice if your a daily driver.

Ok here we go? I4, the car was as new as could be, yellow with back pack and low mileage, ironically engine management light on (no surprise here). Start up is surprising vocal, deeper more than the V6. My first thought as I drove away was I want this, it's seriously growly and fun and feels fast. After half an hour or so It has the sensation of being drowning with a constant note that does not change through out the rev range, the dramatic scream of the V6 is not here. Don't get me wrong it is a bonkers fun drive.

Although the gear box is super smooth it seams to get lost not knowing in auto mode when to shift up or down and became really annoying, maybe it needs one less gear but Im sure once you get used to the engine it will be good as you know what works at what revs.

Engine noise it really good and your neighbours want be happy, but it does drown a lot and I was tired after a few hours. This engine will be tuned to death and for short bursts this is the one to buy.

If the I4 was £60K as originally advertised then its a no brainer, £6K less than the V6 then yes value for money.

My only problem with my V6 manual is that the 400hp is just not quite enough to match the superb chassis set up. Im sure a S / R upgrade will be available eventually.

What a dilemma, all are really good, at the end of the day it does look superb regardless of what is inside.

Aerie Performance Lotus Emira Carbon Fiber Parts GregsRaceParts.com

Latest posts