Shmee 150 Emira Update

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
I did ask Scott Walker about some high profile customers who seem to think they were getting there cars before longer deposit holders. He said that would never happen. I have to say, i am beginning to wonder now.
yeh, im not big on 2nd hand info or trusting Youtubbbers or anyone else for that matter, BUT the "fact" would seem to be he has a build date next week and hence, theoretically would have got the 30 day call almost at the end of August if there was such a 30 day call for these guys, which Im guessing there isn't. I mean Harry has a direct line so I dont think there will be process of emails before the actual real email etc.
You know you and I and Many others paid their deposits before Shixxy and Harry...... lets see what happens, but I would not trust Lotus in their words in this respect....

NB its possible someone on shizzys team, and he has a big team, placed a deposit as soon as the rumours of a new lotus came out.... but from his videos it doesn't seem like this happened, although I would imagine this would be given as an excuse if there were complaints...

Scruff111S

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
yeh, im not big on 2nd hand info or trusting Youtubbbers or anyone else for that matter, BUT the "fact" would seem to be he has a build date next week and hence, theoretically would have got the 30 day call almost at the end of August if there was such a 30 day call for these guys, which Im guessing there isn't. I mean Harry has a direct line so I dont think there will be process of emails before the actual real email etc.
You know you and I and Many others paid their deposits before Shixxy and Harry...... lets see what happens, but I would not trust Lotus in their words in this respect....

NB its possible someone on shizzys team, and he has a big team, placed a deposit as soon as the rumours of a new lotus came out.... but from his videos it doesn't seem like this happened, although I would imagine this would be given as an excuse if there were complaints...
Well I think Shmee150 put his deposit down at Goodwood last year and Harry much later at Hethel. Going by there videos. I think this is way later than many of us on this forum.

Speedluvver

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Well I think Shmee150 put his deposit down at Goodwood last year and Harry much later at Hethel. Going by there videos. I think this is way later than many of us on this forum.
Harry's was at reveal or pre-reveal, so before Goodwood. Schmee was pre Goodwood as well from what I know - his ride up the hill with Jenson was arranged well before the event based on what I heard..

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Given what you said about the pound dropping in value, and also the reassurance from Matt Windle that the price we signed up for will be honoured. When do you think Lotus will put up prices for new deposit holders?
Ive no idea, I dont even know if Lotus are still selling "final" first editions in the UK?
However, I think any car with a delivery of next year has a risk of having its price increased I really do.... I know what Matt said, BUT I dont know who that video was directed to, how many FE customers got it, ALL, first 500? I dont know.
The pound I feel may drop below a $ for the first time ever (since we changed to decimals anyway....) if the new leader decides tax slicing is the new way to fight a recession. Im no economist, but I think she is going to fall on her xxxx with this and I think giving the poorer any extra 100 a year and the richer an extra 1000 a year in tax cuts is going to do F all for the economy, but makes the markets very very nervous.
The pound plus inflation /factory prices.... Lotus will for sure soon be losing money on these car if they dont increase prices.... we are talking about changes over the last 6-12 months of about 25% or more in their costs, ignoring all the stand still costs!.... Lets face it, without the extras on these cars, they are not likely to be making 30-40% on each car.
The idea of a 60k car was great, but I think that 60k car will now just about ship with 3 wheels and one seat.. aha

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Harry's was at reveal or pre-reveal, so before Goodwood. Schmee was pre Goodwood as well from what I know - his ride up the hill with Jenson was arranged well before the event based on what I heard..
think you're right, but still think they are both outside the top 50 no?
Anyway, as I said, I dont begrudge either of them getting their cars a bit sooner IF it helps Lotus..... 2 cars isnt going to knock my car back by more than a day... or a decade... somewhere in between.. haha

Tonyshepp

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Given what you said about the pound dropping in value, and also the reassurance from Matt Windle that the price we signed up for will be honoured. When do you think Lotus will put up prices for new deposit holders?
And with an interest hike again planned in the next few days who's' guessing those looking at PCP's may start to doubt they can afford the car.

BeHappy

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
think you're right, but still think they are both outside the top 50 no?
Anyway, as I said, I dont begrudge either of them getting their cars a bit sooner IF it helps Lotus..... 2 cars isnt going to knock my car back by more than a day... or a decade... somewhere in between.. haha
Harry changed his spec didn’t he from sports suspension to tour so if he’s treated like the rest of us mugs his car should be well and truly bumped into 2023 !!!!
Or the Lotus rules don’t apply to special people………

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Harry changed his spec didn’t he from sports suspension to tour so if he’s treated like the rest of us mugs his car should be well and truly bumped into 2023 !!!!
for sure he wont be bumped...or if he i, it will be over the opposite speed bump in the other direction

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Ive no idea, I dont even know if Lotus are still selling "final" first editions in the UK?
However, I think any car with a delivery of next year has a risk of having its price increased I really do.... I know what Matt said, BUT I dont know who that video was directed to, how many FE customers got it, ALL, first 500? I dont know.
The pound I feel may drop below a $ for the first time ever (since we changed to decimals anyway....) if the new leader decides tax slicing is the new way to fight a recession. Im no economist, but I think she is going to fall on her xxxx with this and I think giving the poorer any extra 100 a year and the richer an extra 1000 a year in tax cuts is going to do F all for the economy, but makes the markets very very nervous.
The pound plus inflation /factory prices.... Lotus will for sure soon be losing money on these car if they dont increase prices.... we are talking about changes over the last 6-12 months of about 25% or more in their costs, ignoring all the stand still costs!.... Lets face it, without the extras on these cars, they are not likely to be making 30-40% on each car.
The idea of a 60k car was great, but I think that 60k car will now just about ship with 3 wheels and one seat.. aha
There is another way of looking at FX - We don't know how Lotus contracts are setup, I know in Latin America everything is done in USD. In Europe I assume it is in Euro's. To me it looks like selling cars in USD in the N/A market will be very profitable for Lotus at the moment, more than before. Asia may also be done in USD or other parts of the world outside of UK/EU.

Selling in any other market where the vehicle is not sold in USD will be much trickier and could potentially see major losses in FX. It is a big problem for any international UK company at the moment. I am sure most contracts have FX clauses to adjust for something like this, but there will still be a negative impact. Price increases will certainly be on the table, despite Matt's video. (whoever it was for)

On another note, tax decreases in the US both when Trump and Reagan applied them in a similiar way, did have benefits to the economy. However, this situation and economy is very different, I don't know how this will play out.

Last edited:

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Let's be honest, it's not just Lotus that gives preferential treatment to certain clients. I am ok with that. Harry helps with sales and brand awareness. Him or other big YouTubers getting a car before other doesn't bother me. It's just good business. Plus it's a very small amount of people anyway.

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
There is another way of looking at FX - We don't know how Lotus contracts are setup, I know in Latin America everything is done in USD. In Europe I assume it is in Euro's. To me it looks like selling cars in USD in the N/A market will be very profitable for Lotus at the moment, more than before.

Selling in any other market where the vehicle is not sold in USD will be much trickier and could potentially see major losses in FX. It is a big problem for any international UK company at the moment. I am sure most contracts have FX clauses to adjust for something like this, but there will still be a negative impact. Price increases will certainly be on the table, despite Matt's video.

On another note, tax decreases in the US both when Trump and Reagan applied them in a similiar way, did have benefits to the economy. However, this situation and economy is very different, I don't know how this will play out.
Also, although it is a decent earner's type 2/3/4th car, one has to think that if the UK economy, where most sales are for the car, does hit the fan and it would seem to be heading in that direction, thanks to brexit, covid, wasted money etc, then not just down to finance rates, but orders may well drop off a slope rather than a cliff.
I would think Lotus are getting a bit worried by all that is happening, but to be honest, its been happening for several months so Im sure the discussions and plan A B C have already been formalised....... Hmmmmmm..... maybe I over estimate there, but at least Geely will have some plans in place, of which one of them has to be base price 59.999 up to 64,999 straight away and extra prices, which we never knew, will of course be raised to make up the margins.

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Also, although it is a decent earner's type 2/3/4th car, one has to think that if the UK economy, where most sales are for the car, does hit the fan and it would seem to be heading in that direction, thanks to brexit, covid, wasted money etc, then not just down to finance rates, but orders may well drop off a slope rather than a cliff.
I would think Lotus are getting a bit worried by all that is happening, but to be honest, its been happening for several months so Im sure the discussions and plan A B C have already been formalised....... Hmmmmmm..... maybe I over estimate there, but at least Geely will have some plans in place, of which one of them has to be base price 59.999 up to 64,999 straight away and extra prices, which we never knew, will of course be raised to make up the margins.
It all depends on the contracts and FX clauses. The pound vs euro is not that extreme of rate exchange, maybe a 3-4% difference compared to last year vs the euro. So for parts coming from the EU probably will not have as much as an effect as we all think. The big one is the USD increase against all currency. We will see, they have removed pricing from all sites world wide, except for UK. So that says something, prices will be changing.

As for people not spending money on sports cars during a recession, war in Europe and high interest rate costs... yes I think it's safe to say, even if they do not raise the MSRP that order book will be shrinking no matter what, and it won't be just a UK problem.

BeHappy

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Let's be honest, it's not just Lotus that gives preferential treatment to certain clients. I am ok with that. Harry helps with sales and brand awareness. Him or other big YouTubers getting a car before other doesn't bother me. It's just good business. Plus it's a very small amount of people anyway.
Of course not neither am I - but goes to show they can make a spec change without affecting your delivery whilst for us to not even give a realistic timeframe and just the blanket 2023 is very poor customer service with people being locked in for 9 months whilst others getting delivery a month later still had to mid August to choose spec. I certainly would not recommend Lotus - they do not put their customers first. I’m still hanging on to test drive before I make my final decision what to do with my order.

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
It all depends on the contracts and FX clauses. The pound vs euro is not that extreme of rate exchange, maybe a 3-4% difference compared to last year vs the euro. So for parts coming from the EU probably will not have as much as an effect as we all think. The big one is the USD increase against all currency. We will see, they have removed pricing from all sites world wide, except for UK. So that says something, prices will be changing.

As for people not spending money on sports cars during a recession, war in Europe and high interest rate costs... yes I think it's safe to say, even if they do not raise the MSRP that order book will be shrinking no matter what, and it won't be just a UK problem.

Indeed, I doubt much comes in from the EU for this car, some bosch bits from Germany for software to do with driving controls, traction etc, but even against the EURO, you are looking at 4-5% over a year, the CNY of china, 12% and yes, for the big one, if contracts were done in $, 20% down in 12 months!! I dont think they would do contracts in $'s to be honest, but I've no Idea!!!...

I dont know, all I can say is that my spanish bought Ironic 5 had its price to the dealers go up about 8% between when I ordered it and when I took delivery, the dealer showed me that the Koreans increased their price to their dealers and of course. I was locked in and it didn't affect me at all, in fact helps for resale from a selfish point of view.
Anyway..... the main thing is I imagine Caterham wont be putting their prices up too much, they are already at the edge of what I think they can charge for a car with no roof / doors/ ABS / AC///// needless and endless list goes on and on

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Of course not neither am I - but goes to show they can make a spec change without affecting your delivery whilst for us to not even give a realistic timeframe and just the blanket 2023 is very poor customer service with people being locked in for 9 months whilst others getting delivery a month later still had to mid August to choose spec. I certainly would not recommend Lotus - they do not put their customers first. I’m still hanging on to test drive before I make my final decision what to do with my order.
You are not wrong. It's certainly an interesting way of going about things. I do feel a small amount of compassion for the employees. The situation in the UK isn't great, at the moment. Really world wide. Difficult to do business.

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
We will see, they have removed pricing from all sites world wide, except for UK. So that says something, prices will be changing.
They are still showing pricing on the US site, unchanged. Both on the Emira main page and on the configurator.

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Indeed, I doubt much comes in from the EU for this car, some bosch bits from Germany for software to do with driving controls, traction etc, but even against the EURO, you are looking at 4-5% over a year, the CNY of china, 12% and yes, for the big one, if contracts were done in $, 20% down in 12 months!! I dont think they would do contracts in $'s to be honest, but I've no Idea!!!...

I dont know, all I can say is that my spanish bought Ironic 5 had its price to the dealers go up about 8% between when I ordered it and when I took delivery, the dealer showed me that the Koreans increased their price to their dealers and of course. I was locked in and it didn't affect me at all, in fact helps for resale from a selfish point of view.
Anyway..... the main thing is I imagine Caterham wont be putting their prices up too much, they are already at the edge of what I think they can charge for a car with no roof / doors/ ABS / AC///// needless and endless list goes on and on
Seats come from France, Dash are assembled in Germany, leather and alcantara from Europe / Scotland, aluminum / fiberglass from UK.... I do not think the price of building the vehicle jumped 20%... 4-8% I can see.(which is a lot) But yes all depends on part sourcing / raw material and more importantly, how the contracts are written. Some of the raw material ones will be done in USD for sure.

As for Caterham.... They are pretty pricey for what they are. That is for sure.

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
IFFFFFFF and it is an IF, but "he said" build first week of October..... do we not think there is the faintest possibility of him getting his car in said October?
FIlming the build sounds like spending a day at lotus in production if the second hand info is true, so surely the car will be ready very very soon. Then just the QC and finishing polishing and stuff off site, which cant take more than a week as they dont have hundreds of cars passing through and they should be set up for those 100's anyway!

After all, IFFFFF he has confirmed date for build, which none of the rest of us UK have, not even the September 99 tears have a confirmed date yet do they, then I have my suspicions that our friend MR Shxxxx may get his car sooner than the sept 9...... and Im betting he will get it in October.... out on a limb!

I do like a good speculation and thats mine for the day.... He will get his car before any UK person on this forum....
I don't begrudge him and its probably what Lotus should do... and I am SURE they will have an eye over his review before publishing in exchange.... or am I over reaching there with what lotus even think about.
if he does, then you would assume harry gets the same treatment and following on in order of importance, I surely come 3rd.. haha
I'd be suprised if all the influencers didn't receive their cars first to be honest.
Apart from TomE of course because he is a bad influence (er) 😘

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
They are still showing pricing on the US site, unchanged. Both on the Emira main page and on the configurator.
Base price has been removed and the i4 F/E price now says contact retailer when you choose it in the configurator.

Only the V6 F/E remains unchanged.

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Base price has been removed and the i4 F/E price now says contact retailer when you choose it in the configurator.

Only the V6 F/E remains unchanged.
We still have this showing in UK

Screenshot_20220926-143405_Chrome.jpg