Ride height

Cachaco131

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Waiting to order
It's a win only if you like to pay 100k for a car (and accents) that can't be seen 😜

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Where do you think the current configurator sits ? To me it looks like 10mm above the blue show car.View attachment 5594
I swear the gray car looks like it has 19" wheels. Look at the gap between the inside edge of the wheel and the brake caliper. It looks much closer on the gray car than the blue ones. The tires and wheels don't seem to fill the wheel well as much either.

dgrace

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I swear the gray car looks like it has 19" wheels. Look at the gap between the inside edge of the wheel and the brake caliper. It looks much closer on the gray car than the blue ones. The tires and wheels don't seem to fill the wheel well as much either.
I read the sidewall markings on the grey car’s tires; they’re definitely 20’s.

912Matt

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Just back from factory tour, and can confirm that cars in the factory were sitting higher than I had hoped - when I asked Nick our guide about this he said that these cars do not have the correct springs installed yet - not sure if this is due to more supply issues or for another reason. Can also confirm that the gap was much less obvious on the Verdant/Shadow cars, although if production cars will be lower probably shouldn’t let this affect colour choice.

NicolasB

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Just back from factory tour, and can confirm that cars in the factory were sitting higher than I had hoped - when I asked Nick our guide about this he said that these cars do not have the correct springs installed yet - not sure if this is due to more supply issues or for another reason. Can also confirm that the gap was much less obvious on the Verdant/Shadow cars, although if production cars will be lower probably shouldn’t let this affect colour choice.
I cannot believe something as basic as springs are not even correct at this stage. If you can get the wrong size springs then why can't you get the right size spring?

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I cannot believe something as basic as springs are not even correct at this stage. If you can get the wrong size springs then why can't you get the right size spring?

Yeah I'm having a hard time believing this one.

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah I'm having a hard time believing this one.
Yeah this is BS. And why would they install the wrong size springs just to uninstall and have to swap in the correct ones later? Springs aren't exactly an easy swap.

DenzilP

Reaction score
Yeah this is BS. And why would they install the wrong size springs just to uninstall and have to swap in the correct ones later? Springs aren't exactly an easy swap.
Don't forget these are all preproduction cars that will probably end up being crushed, so it is plausible they were just using old stock left over from previous models on these cars.

912Matt

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Can definitely confirm no customer cars being built this morning. Not a hive of activity yet; lots of parts, lots of people, plenty of training happening, but not many cars actually being bolted together. Had the feel of a place waiting for the starting gun to be fired. The production line monitoring system was fired up, apparently for the first time, during our tour, which hopefully indicates progress. The dashboard parts from China that had been delayed have now started arriving, but some parts for the central tub still problematic, no black exhaust finishers in evidence, etc, so didn’t feel as if ready to pull the trigger quite yet. Nick our guide was non committal when I asked him about when the first customer cars would be made, but he may genuinely not know ….

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
Can definitely confirm no customer cars being built this morning. Not a hive of activity yet; lots of parts, lots of people, plenty of training happening, but not many cars actually being bolted together. Had the feel of a place waiting for the starting gun to be fired. The production line monitoring system was fired up, apparently for the first time, during our tour, which hopefully indicates progress. The dashboard parts from China that had been delayed have now started arriving, but some parts for the central tub still problematic, no black exhaust finishers in evidence, etc, so didn’t feel as if ready to pull the trigger quite yet. Nick our guide was non committal when I asked him about when the first customer cars would be made, but he may genuinely not know ….

Yeah, the first US customers (aka me) definitely aren't getting their Emira until 2023 (probably in the dead of winter too). Who wants to bet?

At this point they might as well delay my delivery until next April so the weather is at least nice.

ADC

Just Jazzed About Being On The Show
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Don't forget these are all preproduction cars that will probably end up being crushed, so it is plausible they were just using old stock left over from previous models on these cars.
Putting them in the crusher would almost bring them down to an acceptable wheel gap, I reckon...

NickR

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
These are supposed to be dealer cars, but the same could apply.

~el~jefe~

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Yes they have. They have said numerous times the Seneca Blue show car is riding about 20mm lower than production height and the Shadow Grey dynamic prototype is running about 5mm above production height.

wow, that is super shady. as we all know the 20mm lower looks a lot better. I knew the grey car looked kind of stupid and tall, very 90's pontiac firebird look to it. now it will be that height. ew.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Loads of show cars are lowered, Lotus aren't the first and won't be the last. It's been mentioned on every Lotus forum since the day of the reveal, so it's hardly new news to anyone. Lotus staff have been happy to explain at every roadshow what isn't production spec on the show cars.

It would be nice to have some definitive statements, pictures and measurements from Lotus. We haven't got them yet, but we've got a good indication - taller than the blue one and a bit lower than the grey one. Options available to modify it if it doesn't suit you.

ksegg

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
That's great and all, but I don't really want to have to mod (and void the suspension component warranty) on my brand new $100k sports car. Especially one from a brand that's known for sublime handling. The ride height should look identical to the configurator, otherwise it feels like false advertising.
This is an excellent point actually, and I agree.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
The configurator doesn't cover the ADAS situation, render the colours with 100% accuracy or give the correct delivery dates. Why would you rely on the renders for the exact ride height?

If you need that level of accuracy and certainty then unfortunately you're going to have to wait for the final production specifications and production cars at dealers and in press reviews. We'd all like 100% accurate and complete info now (and back last year when we placed deposits or committed to orders) but it isn't available. They are still in the pre-production.

vision

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
The configurator doesn't cover the ADAS situation, render the colours with 100% accuracy or give the correct delivery dates. Why would you rely on the renders for the exact ride height?

If you need that level of accuracy and certainty then unfortunately you're going to have to wait for the final production specifications and production cars at dealers and in press reviews. We'd all like 100% accurate and complete info now (and back last year when we placed deposits or committed to orders) but it isn't available. They are still in the pre-production.
Agreed, Im still on for August (fingers crossed) really don't care about the pointless comments day in day out. What's circulating around the world is a conceptual car to attract interest. Lotus are not going to deliver a car that does not work i.e firstly perform or look wrong. As for the idiots that want to modify a unique car from the outset then that's your choice, good luck with trying to sell it later!

dgrace

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
If you need that level of accuracy and certainty then unfortunately you're going to have to wait for the final production specifications
Or use a more accurate configurator! :p
HighresScreenshot00088.jpg

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order

Spring swaps should be pretty damn quick, but still, a lot of these theories on this forum are just trying to cope with the reality that tire to fender gap is going to be higher than everyone would expect.