• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

PPF, Ceramic coating and wraps... or not.

How will you protect your Emira?

• Ceramic Coating only

Votes: 17 23.9%
  • PPF only on the obvious places that get the brunt of damage

Votes: 8 11.3%
  • PPF only on the obvious places that get the brunt of damage and Ceramic Coating

Votes: 18 25.4%
  • PPF all over

Votes: 9 12.7%
  • PPF all over and Ceramic Coating

Votes: 18 25.4%
  • Wrap plus PPF anywhere

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Wrap plus Ceramic Coating

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

eclat2emira

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
I think the same, its going to get dinged at some point
Remember the days when you would check a second hand car especially the front end for tell-tale signs of wear & tear, in order to see if it had had some undisclosed accident damage repaired?

It will be harder and harder to identify an "honest" car in future.

Tonyshepp

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
On my sports cars I do a frontal area PPF because I go to the track and don't want to respray the front end every few years.

I then do my own ceramic coating at home for a very reasonable cost. It doesn't last as long as the pro versions of ceramic coating, but good enough for me. As a weekend car, I can get 18 to 24 months of solid ceramic protection before it wears off.
What do you use Vantage?
A detailer has recommended Chemical Guys Hydro Slick to me

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
What do you use Vantage?
The Hydro stuff only really lasts between washes. Edited just seen that the chemical guys stuff is more of a clearcut 'hard' ceramic 👍
Ideally you would do your stage 1 polish like you just have and then lock that in with something like this (OR the Chemical Guys stuff 😁)
That would be you sorted for a few years

Tonyshepp

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
The Hydro stuff only really lasts between washes. Edited just seen that the chemical guys stuff is more of a clearcut 'hard' ceramic 👍
Ideally you would do your stage 1 polish like you just have and then lock that in with something like this (OR the Chemical Guys stuff 😁)
That would be you sorted for a few years
Guy told me it would be good for 3 months then reapply..
And ps I was up at 7am but out with the dogs 😀

vantage

Reaction score
What do you use Vantage?

More recently I've been using Adam's Graphene coating, just from an ease-of-use perspective. Before that, I used Optimum Gloss Coat. Both of these products are consumer-level "coatings". You need to prep the surface properly (clay, decontaminate paint, polishing if necessary, alcohol wipe) and then apply. On a weekend car, you can get 18+ months of longevity. The Gloss Coat can also be topped pretty easily with a spray sealant or whatever you want to maintain the car with on a regular basis.

There are lots of good coatings on the market for consumers, but I like the two above for their combination of easy to use, longevity, and of course price. For < $100 and some elbow grease, really hard to complain.

Last edited:

Billyidoliser

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Good shout. A forum member on the GR Yaris forum did a kit for the Yaris that was perfect for all the high wear areas and less than a 100 pounds
Anyone thought of approaching Aliath to see if they could do an interior kit for all the glossy bits on the interior for the Emira, once the damage has been done a pig to correct, maybe a group buy could force their hand and a decent group buy discount??

Johnson

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
More recently I've been using Adam's Graphene coating, just from an ease-of-use perspective. Before that, I used Optimum Gloss Coat. Both of these products are consumer-level "coatings". You need to prep the surface properly (clay, decontaminate paint, polishing if necessary, alcohol wipe) and then apply. On a weekend car, you can get 18+ months of longevity. The Gloss Coat can also be topped pretty easily with a spray sealant or whatever you want to maintain the car with on a regular basis.

There are lots of good coatings on the market for consumers, but I like the two above for their combination of easy to use, longevity, and of course price. For < $100 and some elbow grease, really hard to complain.

I’ve been using the Turtlewax graphene on my ute. Pretty good beading after a few months, but sap etc still sticks to it. I’ll likely clay bar and recoat again shortly.

For the Emira, I’ll be getting a professional Kamikaze ceramic coating. I’m not even considering taking a clay bar near that paint.

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I’ve been using the Turtlewax graphene on my ute. Pretty good beading after a few months, but sap etc still sticks to it. I’ll likely clay bar and recoat again shortly.

For the Emira, I’ll be getting a professional Kamikaze ceramic coating. I’m not even considering taking a clay bar near that paint.
Is the dealer arranging the coating or are you doing this after delivery?

Pops68

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
It's 2026. We still don't have our Lotus, Interest rates are now 18% on the 'new Emira' that's been 'coming soon' since 2022.

Might have to can the idea of PPF to fund the purchase.
18%?!!! Wow as much as I'd like to keep my money invested, anything over 10% is gunna make me just pay for the thing! I liked it better when my money was making >10% and I could borrow @ 3%..:) them dayz is gone for awhile I'm afraid!!

Pops68

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
No protection at all for me, had PPF self healing on previous car and this got damaged by stone chips which can go through the PPF and into the paint and it does not self heal if it is a big chip, had to take off the PPF and get the paint sorted, so i will keep the car as intended and save the money to have the car repaired as and when required.

I am not bothered about the car being a concours garage queen as i intend to use it as much as possible.
Yep hard to protect against stones. I saw a time lapse of the debris field on freeways here in So Kalif and it looked like a meteor trail! I'll probably put a little PPC on the front and in front of the rear tires but that's about it.

Matthaus

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
18%?!!! Wow as much as I'd like to keep my money invested, anything over 10% is gunna make me just pay for the thing! I liked it better when my money was making >10% and I could borrow @ 3%..:) them dayz is gone for awhile I'm afraid!!

Yeah worryingly what I wrote is becoming more and more true

SJR202

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Nothing for me, if you break the PPF through a deep scuff (or in my case a 1" bit of damage on the chin of the front bumper from a kerb) where the PPF has been damaged, its a removal and replacement, so what could have been a small smart repair to the paint is now a major job. Luckily its almost invisible without looking for it so Im leaving it, had it have been mid bumper it seems cheaper and easier to just get a very good paint repair. However I am not saying its not worth it for general wear/tear and stone chips, it does do a good job here so its a bit of a swing and roundabout situation.