Possible further delays

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I doubt it will have any effect on us. Lotus isn't going to be making anywhere near the volumes of cars that Toyota does.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
But Lotus is reliant on parts supply from Toyota, including the V6, and they are already one of the causes of delay to Emira customer production.

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
But Lotus is reliant on parts supply from Toyota, including the V6, and they are already one of the causes of delay to Emira customer production.
What other parts does Lotus use from Toyota besides the engine?

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
The Aisin 6MT, no?

EDIT: I'm dumb. I thought Aisin was subsidiary of Toyota. It's its own firm.

Don't feel dumb, so did I. Isn't the 6 speed basically just a Rav 4 transmission with an ACT clutch and light flywheel?

CarGuy07

Emira Fan
Reaction score
How is the automatic transmission in Lotus. I drive a Macan S now with PDK and that thing is lightning fast. I go back and forth on the manual for the Emira. Thinking the auto would make the most sense for Bay Area traffic. I heard from a Lotus friend that it’s okay. We also don’t get the LSD with an auto. My question is: is it a boring automatic or is it actually pretty sporty?

mjw930

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
It’s a torque converter slush box. Not horrible but quite out of place in a sports car. Shift times are measured in seconds, not milliseconds like the PDK.

The 6MT is a Toyota sourced Aisin from a diesel application with 2nd - 5th replaced by Lotus to get the close ratios. It’s the only manual transmission in the Toyota catalog that can take the torque of the supercharged motor.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
What other parts does Lotus use from Toyota besides the engine?
The manual gearbox and clutch are sourced from Toyota too, although the gearbox is built by Aisin. Other parts also come from Toyota, but I don't know the details. My source told me they have been waiting on parts from Toyota, as well as a few other suppliers.

DJS

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Didn't I hear somewhere on this forum that Lotus had a few hundred V6 engines left over to use from the Evora builds or am I just imagining that?

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
How is the automatic transmission in Lotus. I drive a Macan S now with PDK and that thing is lightning fast. I go back and forth on the manual for the Emira. Thinking the auto would make the most sense for Bay Area traffic. I heard from a Lotus friend that it’s okay. We also don’t get the LSD with an auto. My question is: is it a boring automatic or is it actually pretty sporty?
It’s a torque converter slush box. Not horrible but quite out of place in a sports car. Shift times are measured in seconds, not milliseconds like the PDK.
The latest iteration of the auto/IPS in the Evora is actually pretty good.

It isn't as fast as a PDK but it is still quick, quicker than you'd change with a manual. It has Drive and Sport settings, with Sport holding in a lower gear to use a wider rev range before changing up. It also does a decent auto-blip on downshifting, which is entertaining and makes you sound like a heel and toe driving god. You can leave it in full auto mode or take over and change for yourself using the paddles. Don't rule it out.

Evotion

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Having mine delivered to the PPF company directly. I might have to be there for sign-off unless I can proxy it, as I might be on holiday.

The PPF will take a week so I will chomping at the bit.

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
Having mine delivered to the PPF company directly. I might have to be there for sign-off unless I can proxy it, as I might be on holiday.

The PPF will take a week so I will chomping at the bit.
Are we certain it's not coming with ppf from the factory? Didn't the Evora?

CarGuy07

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Lotus have confirmed that they will not be offering PPF from Factory for the foreseeable future.
Makes sense - they need to concentrate on getting the cars out without further fluff.
What about for base V6 models? Hopefully they’ll offer it then as it’ll make it a bit more streamlined: pick up the car and you’re ready to go.

I plan on PPF and then graphite/ceramic coat it.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
If you have delivery to dealer (which includes everyone outside the UK) then they will be offering PPF and ceramic coating.

It's possible Lotus Cars USA might offer it as an option - they used to apply it at port of arrival before shipping to the dealer, but I think you ordered it via the dealer.

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
If you have delivery to dealer (which includes everyone outside the UK) then they will be offering PPF and ceramic coating.

It's possible Lotus Cars USA might offer it as an option - they used to apply it at port of arrival before shipping to the dealer, but I think you ordered it via the dealer.
How does this work with fresh paint? Does the factory paint process cure it instantly somehow without requiring some breathing time before PPF or any other coating is applied?

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
It’s a low solvent paint process. Panels are batch painted so it can be a day or longer for the panels to then be bonded to the car. There are several process steps after bonding. UK cars then go to the PDI centre and non-UK cars go to the port.

By the time it reaches the dealer I reckon it’ll be at least a week since the panel was painted - more like 2-3 for US - so most off-gassing should have happened.

Hodl

Reaction score
Can anyone else chime in about this. This doesn't sound right to me.
I am also working with a Lotus dealer in CA and have been told V6 base should start specing in Sept 2022 with estimated delivery in April/May of 2023. Although this information could be outdated as last I've spoken to my dealer was some time in March before all the major delays were noted.

ksegg

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I am also working with a Lotus dealer in CA and have been told V6 base should start specing in Sept 2022 with estimated delivery in April/May of 2023. Although this information could be outdated as last I've spoken to my dealer was some time in March before all the major delays were noted.
Hmm, that might have changed since then. On the configurator it still says Base is not available until "Mid 2023".

CarGuy07

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Hmm, that might have changed since then. On the configurator it still says Base is not available until "Mid 2023".
We should be able to spec the base model on the configurator in the next few months, with deliveries mid 2023. If the same delays for 2022 persist, then we could be looking at August 2023.