Not getting a First Edition model

Reaction score
Just found out I would not get a first edition model, which is disappointing considering I placed my deposit the first week of August at my local dealer and others that placed deposits later at other dealers received an allocation. It's a beautiful car, but I still think Lotus has screwed this rollout every way possible in my opinion the way deposit holders were handled regarding the date their deposits were placed and the lack of communication from Lotus. I still don't know how I didn't get an allocation from my dealer considering I was very early in the deposit placement, but I have my suspicions on others getting bumped in front of me. Needless to say, a very disappointing experience to wait 10 months only to find out you won't get a FE. Oh well, as much as I have always wanted a Lotus, I will move on to something else.

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Just found out I would not get a first edition model, which is disappointing considering I placed my deposit the first week of August at my local dealer and others that placed deposits later at other dealers received an allocation. It's a beautiful car, but I still think Lotus has screwed this rollout every way possible in my opinion the way deposit holders were handled regarding the date their deposits were placed and the lack of communication from Lotus. I still don't know how I didn't get an allocation from my dealer considering I was very early in the deposit placement, but I have my suspicions on others getting bumped in front of me. Needless to say, a very disappointing experience to wait 10 months only to find out you won't get a FE. Oh well, as much as I have always wanted a Lotus, I will move on to something else.
that is a shame, although from what you say it sounds like it was the Dealer not Lotus at fault here, although there have been other cases, or at least one on here, with another US customer being in a similar situation....
I for one, and I have said it before, cant see much advantage to getting the FE over the base and adding what you want to it, and a wider range of colours and perhaps a slightly out of place badge. Although the way things are going, the potential cost saving could be reasonable with the FE's over base models spec'd up.

I would certainly try complaining to the person in charge of Lotus for the US...... cant do any harm

EspritGuy

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
that is a shame, although from what you say it sounds like it was the Dealer not Lotus at fault here, although there have been other cases, or at least one on here, with another US customer being in a similar situation....
I for one, and I have said it before, cant see much advantage to getting the FE over the base and adding what you want to it, and a wider range of colours and perhaps a slightly out of place badge. Although the way things are going, the potential cost saving could be reasonable with the FE's over base models spec'd up.

I would certainly try complaining to the person in charge of Lotus for the US...... cant do any harm
It would help your understanding if you knew what the dealer allocation was and your place in the deposit queue.
If they got 10 and you were 12 it sucks.
There are a ton of complaints on this Forum about date of deposit not mattering, especially as FE orders were still taken in UK in 1Q 2022.
Still, sad.

mjw930

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
As much as I too would want Lotus to be in control of the sequencing, US franchise law does not allow for that. About all they can do is require FE allocations be tied to a registered deposit. The sad reality is there’s nothing to stop someone with deep pockets or a personal relationship from placing a deposit and getting it registered with Lotus Car NA on Monday and then placing an order against an allocation on Tuesday.

Name the dealer, business practices like this need to be punished, not rewarded.

Mangoose

Reaction score
It's unfortunate and frustrating. That said, you'd likely be one of the first in line for a base model. Why not wait a few more months and buy the base Emira, with the options you want?

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
It's unfortunate and frustrating. That said, you'd likely be one of the first in line for a base model. Why not wait a few more months and buy the base Emira, with the options you want?
Could definitely be a positive if early adoption is the be all and end all

Magma

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Yup, it stinks. My deposit was placed July 13th and I didn't make the cut. In line for a base edition. Just realize there are some advantages to that. Just patiently waiting now...

Jonhklee

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
The pros are - more colours to choose from, “probably” less test pilot stuff, post reviews for everything…… all consolations.

OP
B
Reaction score
As much as I too would want Lotus to be in control of the sequencing, US franchise law does not allow for that. About all they can do is require FE allocations be tied to a registered deposit. The sad reality is there’s nothing to stop someone with deep pockets or a personal relationship from placing a deposit and getting it registered with Lotus Car NA on Monday and then placing an order against an allocation on Tuesday.

Name the dealer, business practices like this need to be punished, not rewarded.

Agreed that I think it's the personal relationships that probably moved people in front of me. I can't prove that is what happened, it's just my gut instinct. Based on the number of allocations at this dealership and where I should have been in the line when I placed my deposit, I find it hard to believe most selected the V6 manual. I should have been just outside the number of allocations based on my deposit, so it would have required almost everyone to select the V6 manual.

OP
B
Reaction score
I will probably keep my deposit in line just in case, but I don't really think the base models will have anything new that the FE wasn't going to have as options. I'm also assuming the price will be more expensive than the FE bundled package. I think by the time any base models land in the US it will be Q4 2023 based on what's happening right now with production. Seems like a long time to wait for a car!

OP
B
Reaction score
Could definitely be a positive if early adoption is the be all and en

Yup, it stinks. My deposit was placed July 13th and I didn't make the cut. In line for a base edition. Just realize there are some advantages to that. Just patiently waiting now...
Sorry to hear you didn't get an allocation either.
It's not all bad, I picked up a Ferrari 430 until the Emira arrived, just looks like the Emira isn't arriving anytime soon!

dgrace

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
As a data point, my dealer’s FE slots were all gone by the second week of July 2021. Bummer they strung you along though - they should have known months ago once they got their total allocation number.

Carbuilder

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Just found out I would not get a first edition model, which is disappointing considering I placed my deposit the first week of August at my local dealer and others that placed deposits later at other dealers received an allocation. It's a beautiful car, but I still think Lotus has screwed this rollout every way possible in my opinion the way deposit holders were handled regarding the date their deposits were placed and the lack of communication from Lotus.
Agree completely how bad Lotus has handled this, and continues to do so. Absolutely no communication from my dealer. They won't even tell me where I am on their list despite my asking many times. I ordered in Sept and the last I was told is that I would get a FE car in early '23.

I'll check with the dealer again, but I know I'll be told they don't know anything. If/when I found out that I will not be getting a FE car there is no way I am waiting for a non-FE car, even if it means picking and choosing the options that I want. Won't make any difference to Lotus, but no way I'll give them any business if I'm treated like that (waiting a year to find out you don't get a car that you were told you will).

Rick

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Agree completely how bad Lotus has handled this, and continues to do so. Absolutely no communication from my dealer. They won't even tell me where I am on their list despite my asking many times. I ordered in Sept and the last I was told is that I would get a FE car in early '23.

I'll check with the dealer again, but I know I'll be told they don't know anything. If/when I found out that I will not be getting a FE car there is no way I am waiting for a non-FE car, even if it means picking and choosing the options that I want. Won't make any difference to Lotus, but no way I'll give them any business if I'm treated like that (waiting a year to find out you don't get a car that you were told you will).

Rick
They probably don't know anything to be fair.
Not saying Central Lotus comms could sort this however...

DF_Toronto

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
It’s 100% on Lotus being completely aloof, which is what makes me worry how many other things they have likely screwed up that we don’t know about yet.

I was 2nd week of July and not getting an FE, probably wouldn’t even get a car until 2024. Likely asking for my deposit back when I hit the 1-year anniversary date of giving Lotus money for not just 1 but 2 cars and not even having the courtesy to give me a single call or e-mail.

This is Lotus if you don’t live in their preferred market *ahem* (UK/Mid-East/Asia).

EspritGuy

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner

Rick
If it's possible visit the dealer and ask for the Sales manager. Their finance department has the deposit list and knows your place on it.
That's on the Dealer.
On Lotus is allocations both past and upcoming, which the dealer may be waiting for.
There are known knowns. And known unknowns.
Cheers.....

kratedisease

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
How come no one is naming their dealer ?

Who are these devious schemers ? they need to be outed,

kitkat

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Yeah my dealer got 40 allocations and they were pretty much past 40 reservations at the end of the second week of July.