Visiting Hethel: Introduction to Sports Cars Review (US Impression)

KCMO68_510

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
When I decided to purchase the Emira, one of my friends pointed out that you could do a partial driving day, heritage tour, and factory tour all in one package and he thought it was just something that you had to do if you were going to spend this kind of money on a car. So that friend and I booked the experience and this last week we took our wives over for a full 7 days in England and one full day at Hethel. I thought I'd share my experience (a few photos) so that if other people were considering going that maybe a review could help them out.

I'm going to break this up into a few sections:

Part 1: The Driving Bit:

Let me get the disappointing part out of the way first. In the Introduction to Sports Cars part you will only get 2 - 20 minute track sessions in the Emira. I'll be honest and say that 3 sessions would feel more appropriate. A full hour of track time would make more sense, but that being said we were busy all day from 830AM-430pm, so I get why they have to limit the number of sessions.

When we were there Martin Donnelly (F1 Driver) and Toby Goodman were the instructors for the day. So really HIGH level instructors for an event such as this and that's a giant positive to the event. I wish that it was more of drive, then debrief, review what to work on, and then you'd have the following section, but they kind of just gave the instruction while driving and then you are left to think it over by youself, while you wait for your next session to come around.

When we arrived it had been raining overnight, and continued to rain all morning. The instructors went out in the cars to assess the track, and run-off any water on the line they wanted you to be on. We tried to point out that the reservation said we'd be driving in the afternoon and that the weather was supposed to improve during the day, but the people who run it were pretty set on moving the driving to the morning. At first I was disappointed by this, but honestly with how long the day is overall, I think it's better to get the driving part done earlier. I think otherwise you might feel beat by the time the driving came around. Luckily by the time the instructors came in, the actual rain went to a drizzle. Track was still wet, but at least it wasn't a downpour.

This review may sound like it's starting off negative. Limited seat time, they will throw you out on a wet track. It wasn't how I pictured the day going, but it was still a blast and here is why. Having to get confidence quickly on a wet track, in a car you've never tracked before is intimidating, but by the end you feel like if you can drive in these conditions I can certainly drive my own car at speed on track in the dry. The car actually handles extremely well (well at least on the Goodyears that these cars were on) in the wet. I was really expecting the car to feel like it was slipping, but it still had loads of grip available to it. I found the edge of that grip one time, and while that's always a bit unnerving on track it was nice to know that I could find that spot in the wet, and drive out of it without incident. I will say at speed if you do hit standing water in this car the back end does get a big wiggly. So I would really try to be careful in heavy rain with this car (especially on track).

IMG_3009.jpg
IMG_9983.jpg

Some other impressions of the car on track:

1) I know some will say that they want more power out of the car, but on track it feels like it has plenty of power and it's more of keeping the pace and staying in the proper gear. Those who are used to a momentum car will adjust quickly, and those who are used to cars that are more focused on over-powering the straights may find it harder to get the most out of this vehicle.

2) The turn-in on this car is phenominal. I kept underestimating how much speed, tire angle I could input safely in the wet and the car always wanted more. Until the one time that it didn't because I decided to just see where the limit was. Then it gave me some oversteer response, but I was able to catch the back end quickly before it became an issue.

3) The best way I can describe the brakes are that at no point did I question the brakes on track. The pedal feel was always excellent. The stopping power was immense on the straights to get slowed down for the chicanes. If they always feel like they are doing exactly what you want, and feel the way you want it to feel, I can't give any higher praise than that.

4) Gear shifting was overall really good. I had a few issues finding 3rd gear climbing down from 5th gear after the straights into the chicane, but I tend to think that's because I was driving a right hand drive car and I'm just not used to using my left hand to shift on track. But otherwise it felt really nice on track.

5) Overall, the car felt so composed in less than ideal conditions. So yes, it was only 40 minutes of track time, but it was 40 minutes of just being blown away by how good the car was on track in poor conditions. I really can't wait to see what it's like in the dry.

OP
KCMO68_510

KCMO68_510

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Part 2: The Heritage Tour

Going in to the day I had really thought I would like things in this order: Driving, Factory Tour, Heritage Tour. I couldn't have been more wrong about the heritage tour if I tried. I forgot our tour guides name (sorry) but he was EXCELLENT. They have TONS of historical cars in this location and our tour guide took us car by car by car giving us the linear history of Lotus. You could ask ANY question, and our tour guide knew the answer. Was it a technical science question about how a system worked... knew it. Was it a history of F1 question.... knew it. You couldn't stump him. Truly amazing. And the history of Lotus is so unique, and how they helped the innovation of the sport is truly amazing. You come away feeling how SPECIAL Lotus really is. How all of that ethos and history finds its way into your Emira. People can say "well it stole a lot from the Evora" as a negative, but what you are really hearing is that Lotus has evolved over the years, and the slow evolutions make it into your car. The leaps of faith that paid out over the years made it's way to your car. Very cool.

The other thing from the Heritage tour that is funny (given the few gremlins still to be worked out for all Emira owners) is hearing throughout the history the number of times Lotus was dominant... when the car worked. Also just part of their long history.
IMG_9996.jpg
IMG_9997.jpg
IMG_1601.jpg

IMG_1599.jpg

Part 3: The Factory Tour

So I don't have any pictures of this part, because this part they ask you to not take any photography at all. The thing I came away from the tour feeling is that Lotus is no longer a 100% hand-built car anymore. BUT, it is absolutely not just a normal assembly line. It's sort of this marriage between 50% robot assisted and 50% still hand built. We did almost get to witness a fight between two employees, but it looked like a floor manager stepped in to break up the potential fight. See.. PASSION. There were some things that I found interesting on the tour. 1) They hate calling it a Camry engine and seem to very intentionally want to call it a Lexus motor. I'm not sure why this specific thing set off our guide, but he was pretty specific about it. 2) I asked him how long the V6 - manual would stick around and he gave me a non-committal "not long". I then mentioned that some forum posts were suggesting the end of 2026, and he quickly shot back "I don't think it will last that long". Sounds like they know exactly how many V6s they plan on building and then will be done. 3) They seem to take quite a bit of exception to the idea of people modifying anything on the suspension. They are very proud of the chassis suspension setup and act like an Italian Grandmother if someone questioned the cooking. Other than that it's all stuff that most forums members already know.

Part 4: The After Party

If you do end up going, once your day at Lotus is done, do yourself a favor and head over to the Bird & Hand. Food is great. Pints are great. The two women who ran everything while we were there were exceptional and treated us like family. There is Lotus stuff all over the walls. There is Lotus artwork for sale. We didn't spend the night here, but I feel like next time I just might. We had stayed at Dunston Hall about 10 minutes away. The exterior of Dunston Hall is amazing, but the rooms are dated and don't have a lot of charm. I have no idea what the rooms look like at Bird & Hand, but I bet they'd at least have some English Countryside charm to them based on the rest of the place.

IMG_0018.jpg

Conclusion:
I'm very glad that I did it, and I would suggest for anyone to go. That being said, I would make some slightly different choices than I did the first time. 1) I'd do the Heritage Tour / Factory Tour by themselves the first day I arrived. 2) I'd then do the FULL day advanced driving session the following day. Just want some more seat time. Had a blast with what we did, but I now know how to just make it a little better (well maybe except for my wife who already thought 1 day was long at Lotus... made up for it by taking her to many plays in London).

Attachments

• IMG_1600.jpg
    IMG_1600.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Very cool, thanks for the detailed descriptions. Sounds like a lot of fun. I've been to London twice in the past 18 months, never hand a chance to visit Hethel - the family wouldn't go for it. I'm jealous.

Great job on getting info out of the tour guide!

Last edited:

Aero

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Good writeup. Having done the same course and activities I agree on doing the advanced instead of intro to sports as well.

OP
KCMO68_510

KCMO68_510

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Also just a quick non-Lotus comment. If you ARE going to travel the English countryside, you can also stop in at Morgan. They will let you rent out the 3 wheelers and the Morgan 4 for the afternoon and you can go bombing down small British country roads in them. Quite a bit of extra car fun to do in England while you are there. We rented out one of each. My first driving experience in England was on left side of the road, in a right hand drive 3 wheeler in a downpour. It was quite a bit of fun, minus the wet part.

IMG_2969.jpg
IMG_2980.jpg

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score

Going in to the day I had really thought I would like things in this order: Driving, Factory Tour, Heritage Tour. I couldn't have been more wrong about the heritage tour if I tried. I forgot our tour guides name (sorry) but he was EXCELLENT. They have TONS of historical cars in this location and our tour guide took us car by car by car giving us the linear history of Lotus. You could ask ANY question, and our tour guide knew the answer. Was it a technical science question about how a system worked... knew it. Was it a history of F1 question.... knew it. You couldn't stump him. Truly amazing. And the history of Lotus is so unique, and how they helped the innovation of the sport is truly amazing. You come away feeling how SPECIAL Lotus really is. How all of that ethos and history finds its way into your Emira. People can say "well it stole a lot from the Evora" as a negative, but what you are really hearing is that Lotus has evolved over the years, and the slow evolutions make it into your car. The leaps of faith that paid out over the years made it's way to your car. Very cool.

The other thing from the Heritage tour that is funny (given the few gremlins still to be worked out for all Emira owners) is hearing throughout the history the number of times Lotus was dominant... when the car worked. Also just part of their long history.
View attachment 40788View attachment 40789View attachment 40790
View attachment 40786

So I don't have any pictures of this part, because this part they ask you to not take any photography at all. The thing I came away from the tour feeling is that Lotus is no longer a 100% hand-built car anymore. BUT, it is absolutely not just a normal assembly line. It's sort of this marriage between 50% robot assisted and 50% still hand built. We did almost get to witness a fight between two employees, but it looked like a floor manager stepped in to break up the potential fight. See.. PASSION. There were some things that I found interesting on the tour. 1) They hate calling it a Camry engine and seem to very intentionally want to call it a Lexus motor. I'm not sure why this specific thing set off our guide, but he was pretty specific about it. 2) I asked him how long the V6 - manual would stick around and he gave me a non-committal "not long". I then mentioned that some forum posts were suggesting the end of 2026, and he quickly shot back "I don't think it will last that long". Sounds like they know exactly how many V6s they plan on building and then will be done. 3) They seem to take quite a bit of exception to the idea of people modifying anything on the suspension. They are very proud of the chassis suspension setup and act like an Italian Grandmother if someone questioned the cooking. Other than that it's all stuff that most forums members already know.

If you do end up going, once your day at Lotus is done, do yourself a favor and head over to the Bird & Hand. Food is great. Pints are great. The two women who ran everything while we were there were exceptional and treated us like family. There is Lotus stuff all over the walls. There is Lotus artwork for sale. We didn't spend the night here, but I feel like next time I just might. We had stayed at Dunston Hall about 10 minutes away. The exterior of Dunston Hall is amazing, but the rooms are dated and don't have a lot of charm. I have no idea what the rooms look like at Bird & Hand, but I bet they'd at least have some English Countryside charm to them based on the rest of the place.

View attachment 40791

Conclusion:
I'm very glad that I did it, and I would suggest for anyone to go. That being said, I would make some slightly different choices than I did the first time. 1) I'd do the Heritage Tour / Factory Tour by themselves the first day I arrived. 2) I'd then do the FULL day advanced driving session the following day. Just want some more seat time. Had a blast with what we did, but I now know how to just make it a little better (well maybe except for my wife who already thought 1 day was long at Lotus... made up for it by taking her to many plays in London).
I think the biggest difference between Lotus then and Lotus now, is the fact that Lotus then was mechanical, and Lotus now is electronic and mechanical. I don't recall reading anyone having a problem with the mechanical/chassis part of their Emira. It's the electronics, especially the computer controlled portions. The Emira is really their first car that has a lot of that, especially compared to their older cars.

That's really sad to hear about the V6. That going away sooner rather than later means both the manual and the auto. So possibly next year could be the last of the V6 Emiras? So much for an R or S version with the sound of a V6. As sad as that is, it's going to add a lot of value to the ones they've made, which really isn't all that many when you compare to other manufacturers.

I'm going to have to seriously thinking about doing this tour. It sounds like a blast.

Climber

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score

View attachment 40788View attachment 40789View attachment 40790
View attachment 40786

View attachment 40791

Conclusion:
Thank You 😊 very well written. Now going to have to figure out how to get my wife interested!