More details for KEF Audio

Go Kart

… has a HUGE member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Hi,

My car was also a December 2022 delivery.

I'm not guaranteeing this is the problem, however, when removing the OEM sub from my Emira, as you'll see from the picture attached, it had water ingress. Here's what I find interesting - My car had been garaged for the last 3 months, it was last washed approx 1 month ago & I don't use it in wet weather (On Cup 2's), so the water sits inside....I suspect over time this may cause others an issue....

The other photo attached shows the two OEM Amplifiers, which (is my understanding) is the upgraded hifi. The Black amp powers the door and dashboard speakers, the silver one powers the two rear speakers and sub. You could see this by removing the pull-out rear access panel on the right-rear side of the car. It can also be identified from the front fuse box located in the left-hand passenger footwell, I think I remember the fuse labelled as "upgraded hifi" or similar - correct name for this fuse is in the handbook that came with the car.
I think the amount of water ingress in many different places with this car across this forum is very disturbing. Especially when it’s found near electronic components. How in the world would water get in the cabin behind trim pieces??

1712774195282.gif

Fasttoys

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I think the amount of water ingress in many different places with this car across this forum is very disturbing. Especially when it’s found near electronic components. How in the world would water get in the cabin behind trim pieces??

View attachment 40905
Welcome to Lotus, my Lotus Evora if it rained would get wet inside. What is funny these cars are from the UK which is a very damp place, I mean really it’s not like Southern California. I am glad others are finally chiming in on the Kef system being lackluster. I was blasted by some on the forum For my comments.

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Welcome to Lotus, my Lotus Evora if it rained would get wet inside. What is funny these cars are from the UK which is a very damp place, I mean really it’s not like Southern California. I am glad others are finally chiming in on the Kef system being lackluster. I was blasted by some on the forum For my comments.
Oh I thought @KJWEmira was somewhat positive on the one in the demo car he heard. I mean, if water in the subwoofer was a standard feature, I'd agree that's a pretty soggy design.

Fasttoys

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Oh I thought @KJWEmira was somewhat positive on the one in the demo car he heard. I mean, if water in the subwoofer was a standard feature, I'd agree that's a pretty soggy design.
My buddy just piked his Emira up in AZ and is headed back to TX now, He is in the music recording industry and has recording studios. He says the SUB is having issues, which I said after my 5 demos that it was a big issue. The good news it can be fixed with upgrades for those who feel the same way.

Lotus is a quirky manufacturer but I knew that when I purchased my first one 20 years ago, for me it’s expected. At the end of the day it can be resolved for those that feel it’s not up to their expectations.

KJWEmira

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner

View attachment 40905
Hi @Go Kart,

No other water ingress to report from my side. The sub is a "Free-to-air" design, this is how water enters the speaker. The OEM sub also has a drain in the base, so water isn't getting passed the speaker into the car. Hope this helps clear up the subject?

HethelYellow

Reaction score
Update on mine - there was no water in the sub. It also seems to be 'working'. I have noticed that if you crank the volume up it actually sounds not too bad and the issue seems to be at low volume which means I am wondering whether it is the vibration issue that has been mentioned previously in the 'cabin vent' but not sure where that is or how I should fix it. Also has anyone taken off the panels around the sub / rear speakers and simply Dynamat'd it all to see if that helps? I wonder if doing that plus simply upgrading the rear speakers which looks to be a simple job might have a significant difference on bringing the rear into play more as it seems bonkers to have basss drivers in the rear yet no way of adjusting the bias front to back - a lot of my 'sound' seems to be coming from the front two door speakers and the centre speaker.

Fasttoys

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Update on mine - there was no water in the sub. It also seems to be 'working'. I have noticed that if you crank the volume up it actually sounds not too bad and the issue seems to be at low volume which means I am wondering whether it is the vibration issue that has been mentioned previously in the 'cabin vent' but not sure where that is or how I should fix it. Also has anyone taken off the panels around the sub / rear speakers and simply Dynamat'd it all to see if that helps? I wonder if doing that plus simply upgrading the rear speakers which looks to be a simple job might have a significant difference on bringing the rear into play more as it seems bonkers to have basss drivers in the rear yet no way of adjusting the bias front to back - a lot of my 'sound' seems to be coming from the front two door speakers and the centre speaker.
How did you ever come to a conclusion that you had water in the sub?

KJWEmira

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Hi HethelYellow,

Check out this thread - https://www.emiraforum.com/threads/kef-audio-upgrade-parts-now-available.4325/

On the very first Post you’ll see the photo “IMG_0397”, this is where the OEM sub is mounted. This picture is with the sub removed and a stainless-steel blanking plate installed over the drain hole. In the same photo you’ll see the “cabin vent” to the right – I don’t think this is your issue.

Yes, I’ve stripped out the doors & rear of the car completely, installed sound deadening (I used Skinz), then acoustic foam over the top in the rear quarters, where the speakers reflect off of - See all the other pictures in this thread.

The OEM rear speakers only produce mid-bass / bass, no vocals. Just by replacing these won’t be the fix you’re looking for.

This whole thread displays the full upgrade of the audio system I installed to my own Emira. Where are you located in the UK as happy to let you have a listen? I’m in Kent, near Maidstone.

HethelYellow

Reaction score
Thanks am in Hants but the Emira is my daily driver and I am often all around the UK on business so could defintely get your way at some point. What is your gut feel as to the problem I have with the sub if it is not the vibration at low volume?

My dealer has agreed to get another sub in and instal it so that we can see if it makes a difference.