lucky boardwalk customer

darkling

Emira Fan
Reaction score
well guys wanted to thank all of you guys that posted great info and great conversations . And special thanks to tom for all the hard work he does .
But i'm out LOTUS has done stuff since my order that has just left a sour taste in my mouth . I wish everyone the best on getting their cars
be safe everyone

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
well guys wanted to thank all of you guys that posted great info and great conversations . And special thanks to tom for all the hard work he does .
👍
But i'm out LOTUS has done stuff since my order that has just left a sour taste in my mouth . I wish everyone the best on getting their cars
be safe everyone
😢

Sorry you've felt you have to cancel. Would be curious to hear your reasons, either here or in a private message.

Maybe you'll come back and try again next year when there are cars physically at dealers to see and test drive.

OP
D

darkling

Emira Fan
Reaction score
thank you tom.
I just feel that the emira is a beautiful car but it's to damn expensive for what your get .Lotus has felt the need to announce electric cars and race cars even before releasing cars to customer that paid hard earned money . They also keep pushing back delivery dates on just the fe customers . Thats 700 damn cars it's been almost a year .
I'm gonna to be ordering a new c8 saving 15 to 20k thats alot of cash to dump into my exocet hehe

OP
D

darkling

Emira Fan
Reaction score
yeah boardwalk has my back they are a great dealer . if i want a c8 today i would have a makeup but i'll wait 6 months

Dabjbr

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Still have my deposit with Boardwalk. I don’t mind the electric car announcements etc. If anything, they are simply building and strengthening their brand which, in the end, will be a good thing for us consumers.

So they can hang onto my $2500 for now. As of today, if I get my car in 2023 q1/2 without a serious price increase, I think I’ll still be satisfied.

Good luck on the C8. That thing is a performer for sure.

motorpool

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
thank you tom.
I just feel that the emira is a beautiful car but it's to damn expensive for what your get .Lotus has felt the need to announce electric cars and race cars even before releasing cars to customer that paid hard earned money . They also keep pushing back delivery dates on just the fe customers . Thats 700 damn cars it's been almost a year .
I'm gonna to be ordering a new c8 saving 15 to 20k thats alot of cash to dump into my exocet hehe
You'll enjoy the C8, while not a manual, the DCT is great. I enjoy driving it as much as my other manual ... it's just different. The lack of comms and updates is unbelievable; am keeping my order for the Emira as I don't 'need' this car but I do want it :) I have already been through the long wait for the C8 (16mo for the first one and 10mo for the second one) so I am ready for the ~18mo from initial deposit. I'm actually hoping that the delay means I will get it at the beginning of the spring vs in winter. Good luck

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Bang for buck there is no doubt the c8 leaves the Emira in its wake and Im sorry to even mention it, but for an american car it isn't bad looking *UK has made many many many ugly cars too..... Around a track, where Lotus should be excelling, your car will no doubt again leave the Emira for dead, unless its the shortest twistiest track around.
I would say you may have a similar experience with the C8 in terms of delivery though as ALL car companies are experiencing issues and a friend in the US has had his Tesla delayed 3 times within 6 months, so it really isn't a Lotus issue despite what people think here. The Spring deliveries were always optimistic and should have been changed a long time ago to "Summer", but for most of us there has probably only been ONE official delay from the official and emailed delivery. I was initially told June and then told June made and July hand over. So thats just one month or even 1-2 weeks in theory, BUT it may well get pushed to actually be 1-2 months, BUT again, its nothing in the scheme of things industry wide.
I ordered my Ionic 5 last year, maybe in March and was promised August delivery, but apparently for the color... yes the colour, it was delayed and I got it in February. My previous new car, an Ariel Nomad, hand made and you would think easilly planned, was also delays by 2 months and that was before Covid. So I really dont think Lotus is the bad guy here, just poor wording and communication, but their delays are really nothing so far in terms of what they have said to real customers directly, ignoring the very idea of spring 2022, which was perhaps marketing and sales/////

In terms of the other factors; announcing and working on other cars, this is not delaying our cars. The work in terms of design and even marketing and sales is pretty much done for the Emira, the engineering team are now maybe 10/15% on this car and the remainder on the other cars ... The production facilities are 1000's of miles away from each other and again, one should not really effect the other. And I agree, new cars add value to the brand and to your Emira when it comes to resale. I imagine there will be far fewer Emira's in the US than the C8's and hence, perhaps the resale maybe a little better, although right now both will be great I am sure.
Anyway, I dont think anyone can judge your decision, apart from you and its a very difficult one. For me the C8 is the better car for the price, MSRP that is, no doubt. And each year less people want manuals anyway as they are technically slower, for those that like their track day battles.... However, in terms of looks, image and style, I personally would not change from the Emira and yes for me a manual, as I dont care too much about track day battles and split seconds.

Good luck in any case

GetawayDriving

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I hope you enjoy whatever you get. For me, there is no other option. If it wasn’t Emira, it would probably be Evora or an old Exige. I have not found any car that offers the degree of communication of the lotus for under $150k, and that’s a key part of what I love about driving.

I disagree that the Emira is expensive for what it is. It’s an entry level supercar with Toyota reliability where it counts. The C8 is no doubt cheaper and easier to own and that’s a credit to GM, but personally I never considered it because there’s no stick, it’s too big, and it’s not as special for the money, even if it’s a bit less money. Specialness will vary for everyone, but is a key factor to me given that a sports car is an emotional purchase.

I’m really surprised at all the people so upset with delays. This is just how it works, even in the best of times. Have folks never ordered a new model before? Layer on absolutely unprecedented supply chain mayhem and I think Lotus are doing pretty well.

But also, I have my expectations set accordingly. Lotus is a tiny company. Yes, they’re owned by Geely now. But Geely isn’t pumping these cars off a Volvo assembly line, they’re coming from Hethel and you can’t go from hand building cars in a single room to mastering mass production overnight. Production is extremely difficult. Growth is even harder. If anyone here has expectations otherwise, they will probably be happier with a C8 or a Porsche.

Last edited:

kratedisease

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Just put the car in your grandfathers name, call Lotus and tell them he can't wait much longer and to hurry up and build his car already !!

Corvette Factory ( not the dealers) allows certain customers to cut in front of the production line ( in front of all of the others waiting up to 18 months) and puts their order in first that week to get their cars ASAP.

Anyone 90 plus and a war veteran gets their car before anyone else, no matter when they ordered.... period !!

Screen Shot 2022-05-10 at 9.08.35 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-05-10 at 9.02.52 AM.png

Last edited:

kratedisease

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I’m really surprised at all the people so upset with delays. This is just how it works, even in the best of times. Have folks never ordered a new model before? Layer on absolutely unprecedented supply chain mayhem and I think Lotus are doing pretty well.

You might be surprised that half of all high end auto buyers just grab any car off the lot ( pre covid - when there were cars on the lot) and don't sweat the configuration, just as most "used car" buyers have to compromise configurations.

BUT......Instant gratification.

Last edited:

Cutting42

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
You might be surprised that half of all high end auto buyers just grab any car off the lot ( pre covid - when there were cars on the lot) and don't sweat the configuration, just as most "used car" buyers have to comprise configurations.

BUT......Instant gratification.

I think that is an American thing from my chats to US colleagues. Even when purchasing a new car they visit the dealer, find something in stock that suits, haggle the deal out and drive it away. New car purchasing in the UK has always (for me at least) involved hours poring over brochures and latterly websites, building the perfect car and then waiting 2-6 months for the build and delivery

Krisjc21

Reaction score
I hope you enjoy whatever you get. For me, there is no other option. If it wasn’t Emira, it would probably be Evora or an old Exige. I have not found any car that offers the degree of communication of the lotus for under $150k, and that’s a key part of what I love about driving.

I disagree that the Emira is expensive for what it is. It’s an entry level supercar with Toyota reliability where it counts. The C8 is no doubt cheaper and easier to own and that’s a credit to GM, but personally I never considered it because there’s no stick, it’s too big, and it’s not as special for the money, even if it’s a bit less money. Specialness will vary for everyone, but is a key factor to me given that a sports car is an emotional purchase.

But also, I have my expectations set accordingly. Lotus is a tiny company. Yes, they’re owned by Geely now. But Geely isn’t pumping these cars off a Volvo assembly line, they’re coming from Hethel and you can’t go from hand building cars in a single room to mastering mass production overnight. Production is extremely difficult. Growth is even harder. If anyone here has expectations otherwise, they will probably be happier with a C8 or a Porsche.
Is the Emira really considered a super car ? Or just a sports car with a super car looks ? Because if 400hp is a super car would the Nissan Z with 400hp considered a super car ?

PaulP

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Is the Emira really considered a super car ? Or just a sports car with a super car looks ? Because if 400hp is a super car would the Nissan Z with 400hp considered a super car ?
It certainly is not. People are suckers for the looks and start punching above their class

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
To be fair, Lotus have always said it’s a sportscar with supercar looks. A few future customers have been getting delusions of grandeur thinking it’s a cheap supercar ;)

GetawayDriving

Emira Fiend
Reaction score

I think you take the line between sports car and supercar and you place Emira right on top of it. Which is where Lotus is getting "Junior supercar". The next step is supercar, and the form factor is part of the distinction.

The way I look at the Emira is this: It's like a resto-mod of a 2005 Ferrari 360 Modena, but with a warranty and made even prettier.

Horsepower:
Ferrari: 400
Lotus: 400

Curb weight:
Ferrari: 3,197 lbs
Lotus: 3,097 lbs

Engine:
Ferrari: 3.6L V8
Lotus: 3.5L Supercharged V6

0-60:
Ferrari: 4.4s
Lotus: <4.5s

2 seater
Mid-engined RWD
Hydraulic steering
Manual box
Naturally aspirated

I think plenty of people would consider the Ferrari a supercar. So shouldn't the Lotus be? I understand that Supercars have advanced since then, which is why I'm placing the Lotus at the "junior varsity" level. We also have many more hypercars than we used to, so there's some line where supercars end and hypercars begin.

SlavaUkraini

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I think you take the line between sports car and supercar and you place Emira right on top of it. Which is where Lotus is getting "Junior supercar". The next step is supercar, and the form factor is part of the distinction.

The way I look at the Emira is this: It's like a resto-mod of a 2005 Ferrari 360 Modena, but with a warranty and made even prettier.

Horsepower:
Ferrari: 400
Lotus: 400

Curb weight:
Ferrari: 3,197 lbs
Lotus: 3,097 lbs

Engine:
Ferrari: 3.6L V8
Lotus: 3.5L Supercharged V6

0-60:
Ferrari: 4.4s
Lotus: <4.5s

2 seater
Mid-engined RWD
Hydraulic steering
Manual box
Naturally aspirated

I think plenty of people would consider the Ferrari a supercar. So shouldn't the Lotus be? I understand that Supercars have advanced since then, which is why I'm placing the Lotus at the entry level. We also have many more hypercars than we used to, so there's some line where supercars end and hypercars begin.

You (not you personally - but Lotus) cannot compare a supercar from 2005 and a car from today and call it a junior supercar. With that said, I would still take the 360 Modena over the Emira. Although it costs quite a bit more than the Emira if you find one in acceptable condition (the Modena has a few known issues you have to watch out for such as headers need replacement, clutch wear - although not as bad as an F430 in that regards but I digress). The NA V8 certainly will be more visceral of a driving experience overall, albeit less of a track beast.

The Emira is a super car, but not a supercar.

GetawayDriving

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
You (not you personally - but Lotus) cannot compare a supercar from 2005 and a car from today and call it a junior supercar. With that said, I would still take the 360 Modena over the Emira. Although it costs quite a bit more than the Emira if you find one in acceptable condition (the Modena has a few known issues you have to watch out for such as headers need replacement, clutch wear - although not as bad as an F430 in that regards but I digress). The NA V8 certainly will be more visceral of a driving experience overall, albeit less of a track beast.

The Emira is a super car, but not a supercar.

Fair enough, I guess I don't hold as much reverence for the term.

Krisjc21

Reaction score
Fair enough, I guess I don't hold as much reverence for the term.
But hey at least we will all see and experience a supercar looks and a somewhat super sports car experience haha although I really do wish lotus put a bit more HP with the car it would have been perfect

GetawayDriving

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
But hey at least we will all see and experience a supercar looks and a somewhat super sports car experience haha although I really do wish lotus put a bit more HP with the car it would have been perfect

Ha! See "Super Sports car" and "Junior Supercar" are sort of the same thing in my mind, but because these are all vague terms I'm not going to try to sell anyone on that distinction. Personally, I choose to remain blissfully delusional ;)