lucky boardwalk customer

Krisjc21

Reaction score
Ha! See "Super Sports car" and "Junior Supercar" are sort of the same thing in my mind, but because these are all vague terms I'm not going to try to sell anyone on that distinction. Personally, I choose to remain blissfully delusional ;)

Lotus said it's a sports car with with a super car looks so I guess it is a super sports car although I don't know if there is such words 😂 lol

GetawayDriving

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Lotus said it's a sports car with with a super car looks so I guess it is a super sports car although I don't know if there is such words 😂 lol

Lotus is also where I'm getting "junior supercar" (at least, according to Jenson Button) so it seems like it's all made up and the distinctions don't matter 🤷‍♂️

ksegg

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I hope you enjoy whatever you get. For me, there is no other option. If it wasn’t Emira, it would probably be Evora or an old Exige. I have not found any car that offers the degree of communication of the lotus for under $150k, and that’s a key part of what I love about driving.

I disagree that the Emira is expensive for what it is. It’s an entry level supercar with Toyota reliability where it counts. The C8 is no doubt cheaper and easier to own and that’s a credit to GM, but personally I never considered it because there’s no stick, it’s too big, and it’s not as special for the money, even if it’s a bit less money. Specialness will vary for everyone, but is a key factor to me given that a sports car is an emotional purchase.

I’m really surprised at all the people so upset with delays. This is just how it works, even in the best of times. Have folks never ordered a new model before? Layer on absolutely unprecedented supply chain mayhem and I think Lotus are doing pretty well.

But also, I have my expectations set accordingly. Lotus is a tiny company. Yes, they’re owned by Geely now. But Geely isn’t pumping these cars off a Volvo assembly line, they’re coming from Hethel and you can’t go from hand building cars in a single room to mastering mass production overnight. Production is extremely difficult. Growth is even harder. If anyone here has expectations otherwise, they will probably be happier with a C8 or a Porsche.
100%.

I too get random bouts of impatience, but overall, (and this will be kind of a shocker) I'm kind of okay with the 2-year wait, lol.

Because, seriously, there is literally nothing else like the Emira. Gorgeous British-penned supercar body lines, rock solid Toyota 2GR-FE and Aisin 6MT reliability, a lovely interior with just enough tech to make me happy, and it's a TINY sports coupe, (which no one really does anymore; so many coupes now are gigantic), which I love.

Gonna go with the old adage "Good things come to those who wait."

Krisjc21

Reaction score
Lotus is also where I'm getting "junior supercar" (at least, according to Jenson Button) so it seems like it's all made up and the distinctions don't matter 🤷‍♂️

Yup that's true at the end of the day we will all have to pay for it with our hard earned cash. So we can label it as what we want 🙂

kratedisease

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I think you take the line between sports car and supercar and you place Emira right on top of it. Which is where Lotus is getting "Junior supercar". The next step is supercar, and the form factor is part of the distinction.

The way I look at the Emira is this: It's like a resto-mod of a 2005 Ferrari 360 Modena, but with a warranty and made even prettier.

Horsepower:
Ferrari: 400
Lotus: 400

Curb weight:
Ferrari: 3,197 lbs
Lotus: 3,097 lbs

Engine:
Ferrari: 3.6L V8
Lotus: 3.5L Supercharged V6

0-60:
Ferrari: 4.4s
Lotus: <4.5s

2 seater
Mid-engined RWD
Hydraulic steering
Manual box
Naturally aspirated

I think plenty of people would consider the Ferrari a supercar. So shouldn't the Lotus be? I understand that Supercars have advanced since then, which is why I'm placing the Lotus at the "junior varsity" level. We also have many more hypercars than we used to, so there's some line where supercars end and hypercars begin.
The Nissan GTR Godzilla is more a Supercar than the EMIRA will ever be, as a 13 year old platform. Sorry.

Super cars have to do be able to perform super car feats , ........not just look the part.

The Ferrari 360 is a beautiful old "MILF".

Any new car platform that is released that can perform what other cars currently are unable to do are considered Super cars as a result of the SUPER-ior things that they can perform around a track, related to track times and other performance parameters.

The EMIRA is a beautiful sports car, that will bring absolute great driving enjoyment and ownership experience to its owner. But there is nothing SUPER about it.

Pegasi

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
The Nissan GTR Godzilla is more a Supercar than the EMIRA will ever be, as a 13 year old platform. Sorry.

Super cars have to do be able to perform super car feats , ........not just look the part.

The Ferrari 360 is a beautiful old "MILF".

Any new car platform that is released that can perform what other cars currently are unable to do are considered Super cars as a result of the SUPER-ior things that they can perform around a track, related to track times and other performance parameters.

The EMIRA is a beautiful sports car, that will bring absolute great driving enjoyment and ownership experience to its owner. But there is nothing SUPER about it.

Good post and I agree with it however this isn't how things work all the time. There is a reason in the USA why valets park high performance & top end cars at the front of the parking lot for all to see. Cars get attention. Some people like that attention, some people don't, but regardless of if you like it or not, you will likely receive super car treatment when the Emira is out. You can't perform SUPER-ior things on the street so most people, who like a good looking car, will think you are totally driving the extraordinary. To us car enthusiasts its not a super car, to everyone else, well, we are all about to find out...

kratedisease

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I will take a brand new EMIRA any day over a 2005 Ferrari 360 manual. That's the easiest pick every day.

Who wants to sleep with a MILF with a 1990's hairstyle and saggy leather when you can have the better looking young hot daughter ?

I appreciate vintage...... except in one category !

GetawayDriving

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Folks are ignoring the fact that I’ve been saying “Junior supercar”. As in, not a supercar, but an “aspirational” category below it. Junior varsity. One step below, but one step closer on the spectrum than the sports cars like the Supras or the M2s. This is a term I picked up here, which is vaguely officially from Lotus, and shouldn’t be controversial especially since “super” is a meaningless and subjective term that has no objective measurement and changes all the time.

PaulP

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Folks are ignoring the fact that I’ve been saying “Junior supercar”. As in, not a supercar, but an “aspirational” category below it. Junior varsity. One step below, but one step closer on the spectrum than the sports cars like the Supras or the M2s. This is a term I picked up here, which is vaguely officially from Lotus, and shouldn’t be controversial especially since “super” is a meaningless and subjective term that has no objective measurement and changes all the time.
This has been hashed before but why do you so quickly assume it’s closer than an m2 which will likely be faster around the track and certainly on the street? The looks is the answer. And there lies the rub. The Emira is a sports car that looks more than it is. It’s ok to acknowledge that, it really is. But in no way is it anything “above” that. Any car in the supercar category today would wipe the floor with it.

kratedisease

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I had a dream last night..... that the EMIRA had 600HP.

Just imagine.

Then I woke up.

eclat2emira

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
To be fair, Lotus have always said it’s a sportscar with supercar looks. A few future customers have been getting delusions of grandeur thinking it’s a cheap supercar ;)
I recall hearing something like "We asked Russell to design us a sports car and he designed us a supercar."

freefall_junkie

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
and it's a TINY sports coupe, (which no one really does anymore; so many coupes now are gigantic), which I love.

Tiny? You should try an Elise :) Or if you want properly miniscule, a Caterham!

lotus-emira-vs-elises1-jpg.4

FlyNavy01

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
This has been hashed before but why do you so quickly assume it’s closer than an m2 which will likely be faster around the track and certainly on the street? The looks is the answer. And there lies the rub. The Emira is a sports car that looks more than it is. It’s ok to acknowledge that, it really is. But in no way is it anything “above” that. Any car in the supercar category today would wipe the floor with it.
Out of curiosity, what convinces you an M2 is faster than the Emira? Especially on the track?

The M2 has similar power, more torque due to the turbo, but the Emira is 220lbs lighter *correction: 400lbs lighter (!), mid-engine balance, and better suspension geometry. Given the same driver, I'd imagine they'd be pretty similar, if anything a slight advantage to the Lotus. Would be an interesting comparison for the youtube car review channels to do.

The term "supercar" is entirely subjective so I see no point in arguing about it personally.

Last edited:

DJS

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
100%.

I too get random bouts of impatience, but overall, (and this will be kind of a shocker) I'm kind of okay with the 2-year wait, lol.

Because, seriously, there is literally nothing else like the Emira. Gorgeous British-penned supercar body lines, rock solid Toyota 2GR-FE and Aisin 6MT reliability, a lovely interior with just enough tech to make me happy, and it's a TINY sports coupe, (which no one really does anymore; so many coupes now are gigantic), which I love.

Definitely not tiny when its wider than a 911 992 and only 100mm shorter than a 911 992, it sits lower so comes across as small but it defiantly is not. When I went to the road show and looked at it when I walked through the door under the cover before the reveal I thought how big it looked.

note89

Reaction score
well guys wanted to thank all of you guys that posted great info and great conversations . And special thanks to tom for all the hard work he does .
But i'm out LOTUS has done stuff since my order that has just left a sour taste in my mouth . I wish everyone the best on getting their cars
be safe everyone
Did you get the deposit back? Thought it was non-refundable.

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Out of curiosity, what convinces you an M2 is faster than the Emira? Especially on the track?

The M2 has similar power, more torque due to the turbo, but the Emira is 220lbs lighter *correction: 400lbs lighter (!), mid-engine balance, and better suspension geometry. Given the same driver, I'd imagine they'd be pretty similar, if anything a slight advantage to the Lotus. Would be an interesting comparison for the youtube car review channels to do.

The term "supercar" is entirely subjective so I see no point in arguing about it personally.
In BMW fashion the s55 stock in the m2c likely puts down 410whp. While in similar conditions the Evora GT will probably be in the 365whp range with far less torque (I’m assuming power output on the Emira will be identical). I’d say the m2c has a considerable advantage at most medium to large tracks and anything with elevation changes. The Emira maybe has an advantage on smaller or momentum biased tracks.

xen

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Interesting topic as to what defines a supercar. The Emira certainly looks like one bit doesn't have the numbers to match it’s (super car) looks.

The 911 does blur this somewhat. I wouldn’t consider the base 911 (or any variants for that matter) a supercar but the turbo S certainly performs like one. The V12 Ferraris tow the other side of this line - I’d (erroneously maybe) consider the F8 more supercar than an 812.

It’s probably a mix of looks and performance and that mix depends on the individual.

PaulP

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score

Have posted before. ‘Ring times are faster. Depends on the track of course but people are quick to pop-pop some proper fast cars as inferior way too quickly.

FlyNavy01

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Have posted before. ‘Ring times are faster. Depends on the track of course but people are quick to pop-pop some proper fast cars as inferior way too quickly.
What's the Emira's ring time? I wasn't aware there was one.