i4 FE - When are we going to see it? Getting annoyed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonyshepp

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
I think, whilst I have ordered the V6, the I4 will be car that makes the Emira. It's simply marketing that makes the V6 more expensive to buy. The nostalgia of owning one of the last manual V6s is driving up the price. If the I4 sounds Rorty I imagine a lof of V6 owners changing to the I4 if they haven't received their cars.

Citizen

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
i think people including me going for the V6, are not subject to pure prestations only like 0-100, 0-200

my choice was for having a brand new model, v6, rear, manual and last ice lotus, all this package sounds very good to me

if an i4 is cutting me on trackdays 5-10 seconds per lap, i don´t care at all

Tonyshepp

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
i think people including me going for the V6, are not subject to pure prestations only like 0-100, 0-200

my choice was for having a brand new model, v6, rear, manual and last ice lotus, all this package sounds very good to me

It's not the 0-60 times it's the spread of torque across the rev range with the I4 that will make it a more modern motor.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I would be very concerned if I were you. It does not appear that any other I4 buyers have been asked for the 2nd deposit or order specs. Are you really sure the dealer knows you are wanting an I4? Best check or a V6 may end up on your driveway.
Several UK people with early deposits have already been asked for spec and second deposit for their i4 - originally it was the first month or two of builds. I'm not clear if @grahamgreen 's location of "North East" is NE UK or NE US but suspect it's UK.

Green

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I think, whilst I have ordered the V6, the I4 will be car that makes the Emira. It's simply marketing that makes the V6 more expensive to buy. The nostalgia of owning one of the last manual V6s is driving up the price. If the I4 sounds Rorty I imagine a lof of V6 owners changing to the I4 if they haven't received their cars.
No manual no thanks! I would rather buy a golf R with a manual if I had to get the 4 cylinder.

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
We think the i4 may be better recieved because the V6 has had such a bad reception.
However it is just that, perception.
It could as easily be considered underpowered with the same uinspiring on limit handling.
Lotus should have really just launched the best car they could from the off. Nobody is interested in a better car in 3 years time. The competition will be on their 2nd or 3rd gen cars and the Lotus will just be considered outdated once again....

lynchy73

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
The better question is, why isn't the AMG I4 offered with a 6MT?

(rhetorical question, since I know Lotus would need to source a 6MT that fits the AMG engine's profile, specs, etc, as I doubt they can rig the Aisin 6MT to the AMG I4, but HEY, come on, Lotus, get to work.)

I actually would have preferred it, because it's a lighter engine that can be easily tuned to achieve 400+ power.
I’d guess that is more engineering (possibly adding to the final cost/time to develop of all models in order to develop an I4 MT) than Lotus are willing to do for that particular segment. After all they already have the V6 MT ready and waiting for those that must have the MT (most markets where a MT is a popular choice do not have a huge difference in price between the I4 and V6 Emira).

lynchy73

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner

Having a smaller capacity option on the Emira (that also happens to be DCT) will open up major markets where the V6 would be heavily taxed (and therefore expensive versus existing equivalents from other brands).

If Lotus can find more buyers for their cars, then they can fund new models and special versions. Same way that by Porsche selling huge numbers of Panamera, Macan and Cayenne helps them have the ability to do a better 911, GT cars etc. I live in China and Porsche sell A LOT of SUVs and Panamera over here (at a price point significantly higher than domestically produced AUDI, Mercedes etc).

It would be nice if in 5 years time Lotus are selling lots of EVs, SUVs etc, so that they then have the ability to produce (and have the brand presence to find customers for) some really special Sports cars (both ICE and EV).

Last edited:

RapidLotus

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Several UK people with early deposits have already been asked for spec and second deposit for their i4 - originally it was the first month or two of builds. I'm not clear if @grahamgreen 's location of "North East" is NE UK or NE US but suspect it's UK.
Probably UK because he talked about Pounds, not dollars. Good catch.

Magicman

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
There's no part of me wants a wizz pop hot hatch 4 banger in a car that looks like that😏 (I've had an amg 45) but I do think it will get the better reception from the press and will suit lots of people. The plus side for me is that the press have criticised it for being a bit old school, exactly what I want.
As for lotus delaying it until the v6 is on the market that would imply they had a clue what they were doing and some kind of strategy so that can't be true!! 🤣

OP
G

grahamgreen

Emira Fan
Reaction score
North East 🇬🇧 near Stokesley 👍

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
There's no part of me wants a wizz pop hot hatch 4 banger in a car that looks like that😏 (I've had an amg 45) but I do think it will get the better reception from the press and will suit lots of people. The plus side for me is that the press have criticised it for being a bit old school, exactly what I want.
As for lotus delaying it until the v6 is on the market that would imply they had a clue what they were doing and some kind of strategy so that can't be true!! 🤣
The Lotus strategy was engineering-led not market-led. They knew the V6 well already and could develop a car sooner with that powertrain. The i4 engine was new to them, so the development programme needed to be 6 months longer.

Speedluvver

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
The Lotus strategy was engineering-led not market-led. They knew the V6 well already and could develop a car sooner with that powertrain. The i4 engine was new to them, so the development programme needed to be 6 months longer.
plus there are still rumours of heat issues - but they are just that - rumours

Matthaus

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score

Yeah I paid 2nd deposit and specced my i4 months ago

Matthaus

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Yes the same here. Spec is chosen but not locked, and I did make a small change today on it, black to red calipers. Second deposit paid two months ago. I4 FE.

I was told mine was going to be locked in June or July can't remember which but I've been pretty bullish from July last year and not changed options.

Paid 2nd lot of money in April.

JimH

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I was told mine was going to be locked in June or July can't remember which but I've been pretty bullish from July last year and not changed options.

Paid 2nd lot of money in April.
The same here - LCC now saying “first i4 production batch in 2023” for mine - first deposit was Goodwood Thursday 2021…..

likeakidonchristmaseve

Reaction score
I have changed to the i4 following a v6 test drive. I went away from the drive and couldnt put my finger on the issue. Greasy, unfamiliar roads... You have to really floor the v6 to get max hp out of it - supercharger is more linear and kicks in later than a turbo usually does - but for me also felt a little harsh. The i4 has more torque. Also perhaps gives a more realistic 'supercar' experience with the flappy paddles and DCT box. I was dead set on changing gear the old fashioned way but I think if I wanted to give a friend a thrill ride the i4 with launch control would be the way forwards. I have been told i4 test drives in the UK from June 2023. i4 = lower road tax and fuel consumption which probably isnt an issue for most.

Crown

Reaction score
Agree , all the reasons I was i4 from the start when I placed my deposit on reveal day.
I’ve owned a few Porsches with pdk and loved them , tried a manual 718 and it was good but preferred the pdk.
I see the Emira for me as a modern tech filled car and the AMG 45 engine with its dct is just part of it .
Good there is choice for us all V6 or i4 . I went on the factory tour back last May and in my group I was the only i4 , did feel like the odd one out 🫣
Going for my test drive of the V6 next month , but only to see the car again , no interest in the V6 or manual .
Hoping for my i4 delivery august / September 2023. Seneca /ice grey /black pack/ black wheels 😊

Jonhklee

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Agree , all the reasons I was i4 from the start when I placed my deposit on reveal day.
I’ve owned a few Porsches with pdk and loved them , tried a manual 718 and it was good but preferred the pdk.
I see the Emira for me as a modern tech filled car and the AMG 45 engine with its dct is just part of it .
Good there is choice for us all V6 or i4 . I went on the factory tour back last May and in my group I was the only i4 , did feel like the odd one out 🫣
Going for my test drive of the V6 next month , but only to see the car again , no interest in the V6 or manual .
Hoping for my i4 delivery august / September 2023. Seneca /ice grey /black pack/ black wheels 😊
Same here.

Status
Not open for further replies.