i4 FE - When are we going to see it? Getting annoyed

Status
Not open for further replies.

grahamgreen

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Hi all

Remained positive to date despite the lack of info. Placed my deposit 8th July 21 for an i4 and knew from the outset that this was the way I wanted to go.

Paid the second deposit in June and confirmed spec. Read lots about speculation and V6 but near on nothing about i4. Now with V6 orders likely to land Oct / Nov and other early customers serviced. Where does it leave i4 customers? It’s no poor relation; it’s an advanced high power flappy panel machine and being an AMG unit a credible platform that you would think to get far more air time …

Getting disillusioned with it all and now with the “early 23” message haven’t a clue what’s going on. £5k in not that it matters don’t know whether we will see our i4’s before the spring

NickR

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I switched from the V6 to the i4 and I'm also wondering why there is little information about it. I know that the first batch of customer deliveries are due Feb. However my confidence is not great. I would have expected prototype units being shown with pre production in October. It might just be a case of getting the V6 out there before even worrying about the i4.
I'm keeping an open mind until October and will decide whether I'd had enough of Lotus at that point. My deposit was in the top 50 well before Goodwood so getting a bit tired of it.

OP
G

grahamgreen

Emira Fan
Reaction score
God knows where my deposit sits but it was the day after goodwood. Sold my GT4 981 back in the spring and running and old 2.5 98 boxster as a run about. Just getting a little bored with it all.

Being in manufacturing and specifically engineering I get delays but can’t help but think with no current offering Lotus may find itself in bother if orders don’t start making there way out. Only so long the deposit monies will last to keep the lotus train running and surely running into a negative now

ADC

Just Jazzed About Being On The Show
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
No really worried about Geelotus running out of money, but, yeah, also feeling a bit unloved these days on the i4 news front... 🥺

Even just a quick clip of them ragging a test mule around Hethel would be something to cheer us up while we brace for the long winter of waiting to come.

roundincircles

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Apparently, Merc AMG stops making 4 pot engines during August 23 so deliveries should be before then, maybe. Trust me as I cannot tell a lie.

OP
G

grahamgreen

Emira Fan
Reaction score
There would be a supply agreement for X amount of i4 units with AMG and therefore not concerned about that either. Lotus a brand that I’ve bought into for years and as a young 21/22 yr old lad first bought an S2 exige and followed that with another 3 of them. Fast forward and I’m now heading into my late 30’s looking forward to the new generation.

The cars cost today double that of the S2 exige and with what was then a larger offering by lotus; communication and customer experience gone massively the wrong way

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Have you asked your dealer for an update?

My understanding is that I4 FE production is about 6 months behind V6 FE production. So manufacturing of the I4 FE might begin around Feb-March next year.

I did ask Matt Windle in June for I4 sound samples. He was open to that given Lotus have quite a few I4s in testing. However nothing has been released yet. Maybe soon. ;)

DJS

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I went for the V6 but have seriously considered swapping for the i4 as something is telling me that this is going to be the model to have. If they could tell me a fixed date then id swap but as we all know changing now only sends me in to the abyss. It's the more modern technology that interest me, but nowhere near enough info about to sway me. So I will stick with my November V6 delivery for now.

Twin Cam

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I went for the V6 but have seriously considered swapping for the i4 as something is telling me that this is going to be the model to have. If they could tell me a fixed date then id swap but as we all know changing now only sends me in to the abyss. It's the more modern technology that interest me, but nowhere near enough info about to sway me. So I will stick with my November V6 delivery for now.
I went for the i4 base from the start and the only options I’m considering is front parking sensors, better interior and black pack/black wheels depending on what colour I end up choosing.
i believe less is more with the i4 and a lower road tax band to boot

The only possible problem relating to the i4 that I can imagine is heat dissipation, I heard ( not saying it’s fact) that Ford never produced the Cosworth Focus because the heat was causing problems, but then if you look at the Mitsubishi evo”s, Subaru’s and the A45 AMG’s they obviously found solutions. The main difference facing the i4 is that it’s mid engined and GRP has a lower heat tolerance than metal.

I am still happy to wait as long as it takes for my Emira and find it reassuring that it’s not being rushed out.

Mabye Lotus should consider releasing an official update on progress/supply issues every six weeks or so as the delays seem to be driving some people up the wall

Lots_Of_Trouble

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Have you asked your dealer for an update?

My understanding is that I4 FE production is about 6 months behind V6 FE production. So manufacturing of the I4 FE might begin around Feb-March next year.

I did ask Matt Windle in June for I4 sound samples. He was open to that given Lotus have quite a few I4s in testing. However nothing has been released yet. Maybe soon. ;)
Lots
Of
Talk
Usually
Shite

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I'd also heard about the delay to first i4 deliveries to Feb/Mar 2023. Type approval was planned to be achieved in November, a couple of months behind original plan due to the V6 delays. Press drives/reviews were supposed to be Oct/Nov but I guess they may revise that if customer deliveries slip any further (and if they've listened to all the feedback about giving the press pre-production cars).

I've heard the stories about thermal management issues, and various people at Lotus saying it is being or has been resolved. They've been running i4-engined mules for two year snow, so they've had plenty of time and miles to sort out the development. Gav Kershaw has been enthusiastic about the performance of the i4 cars and tuning the engine to get a Lotus-like character.

I saw half a dozen i4 pre-production cars being built in the main assembly hall for validation work when I was there in January. It's strange we haven't had any official or leaked videos of the engine sound.

Matthaus

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I'd also heard about the delay to first i4 deliveries to Feb/Mar 2023. Type approval was planned to be achieved in November, a couple of months behind original plan due to the V6 delays. Press drives/reviews were supposed to be Oct/Nov but I guess they may revise that if customer deliveries slip any further (and if they've listened to all the feedback about giving the press pre-production cars).

I've heard the stories about thermal management issues, and various people at Lotus saying it is being or has been resolved. They've been running i4-engined mules for two year snow, so they've had plenty of time and miles to sort out the development. Gav Kershaw has been enthusiastic about the performance of the i4 cars and tuning the engine to get a Lotus-like character.

I saw half a dozen i4 pre-production cars being built in the main assembly hall for validation work when I was there in January. It's strange we haven't had any official or leaked videos of the engine sound.

I hope Lotus build yours with a gold plated gear knob.

I suspect if it wasn't for the information you provide, and the forum in general, I'd have long pulled out.

I've been i4 since the launch and I'm getting seriously bored.

Car66

Reaction score
They were running 2 i4 cars on the track the day I was doing my LDA course. My understanding is they have faced challenges integrating the Merc engine with Geely electrical systems including the ADAS system - windscreen raked so calibration challenges. Patience is a virtue 🙈

Mark.

Reaction score
They were running 2 i4 cars on the track the day I was doing my LDA course. My understanding is they have faced challenges integrating the Merc engine with Geely electrical systems including the ADAS system - windscreen raked so calibration challenges. Patience is a virtue 🙈
How did they sound on track?

schuey100

Reaction score
Hi all

Remained positive to date despite the lack of info. Placed my deposit 8th July 21 for an i4 and knew from the outset that this was the way I wanted to go.

Paid the second deposit in June and confirmed spec. Read lots about speculation and V6 but near on nothing about i4. Now with V6 orders likely to land Oct / Nov and other early customers serviced. Where does it leave i4 customers? It’s no poor relation; it’s an advanced high power flappy panel machine and being an AMG unit a credible platform that you would think to get far more air time …

Getting disillusioned with it all and now with the “early 23” message haven’t a clue what’s going on. £5k in not that it matters don’t know whether we will see our i4’s before the spring
Interesting you had to pay the second deposit in June, I put the 2k down 26 July last year for the I4, had a call months ago if I wanted the V6 which I didn’t and heard nothing since , never been asked for the further £3k deposit….🙄

Kibbbs

Reaction score
Interesting you had to pay the second deposit in June, I put the 2k down 26 July last year for the I4, had a call months ago if I wanted the V6 which I didn’t and heard nothing since , never been asked for the further £3k deposit….🙄
I’m the same; initial deposit in July and have heard absolutely nothing since I told them I want an I4.

Status
Not open for further replies.